2014 LFFL Draft: Discussion

So I thought I'd put this up before the actual thread just so people know where the discussion will go :) Obviously should get through the pre-first round draft picks soon, then can move onto the real thing (no time limits till after exams are all finished, but we'll be able to make a start).

Very keen to get into it personally :)

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Okay, Walters may be a risky pick, but he's (in my opinion) one of the best forwards available. They'll run out quickly by my next pick, so I thought I'd grab him early.

Aug 22, 2004
Safety Bay WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Brentford FC, Geelong Gumbies,
Okay, Walters may be a risky pick, but he's (in my opinion) one of the best forwards available. They'll run out quickly by my next pick, so I thought I'd grab him early.

Good pick up. Gets goals and generally scores well

Deddy

Sheezel Lover
Mar 4, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Australian Boomers
Walters and Wingard... Interesting. They are both young and score well but both reaches IMO. They wouldn't have been around when you guys pick next so you had to pull the trigger, but time will tell if the reach was worth it.

sr20

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Sydney
Max Bailey only averaged 25 at the Hawks and I think McEvoy will be the same. I think that when push to comes to shove there he will be the one that is Subbed off like Bailey was and they will rotate Hale and Roughead between Ruck and Forward.

I disagree with sr20. Not because I like to disagree with him, but because I believe he is wrong. McEvoy went from an LFFL average of about 36 down to 29 this year. At Hawthorn, he'll be the number 1 ruckman. Max Bailey might have started in the square, but he was by no means our number 1 ruck. Hale was. Bailey was subbed off all the time because his knees were shot. This is heavily documented on Hawthorn boards and at the HFC Best and fairest awards. McEvoy won't be treated the same as Max ie, subbed off 3 qr time in most matches. Big Boy is a defensive and offensive weapon. Max Bailey was an offensive and defensive buoy. Good selection. Would have taken him as my 2nd rounder if available.

sr20

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Sydney
Happy to debate you on this. I don't have the stats on me but he was Subbed off multiple times this year because they only wanted one Ruckman and he was the least agile of who they had in the side. Hale is a more viable agile 4 quarter option with the Interchange Cap, and Roughead is more than capable as his number 2. Sides, and I mean all sides, not just Hawthorn will do the same thing this year.

Happy to debate you on this. I don't have the stats on me but he was Subbed off multiple times this year because they only wanted one Ruckman and he was the least agile of who they had in the side. Hale is a more viable agile 4 quarter option with the Interchange Cap, and Roughead is more than capable as his number 2. Sides, and I mean all sides, not just Hawthorn will do the same thing this year.
It's not that Hawthorn wanted one ruckman at all. They went the one ruckman route in 2012 but realised it was robbing them of offensive pressure especially with the aim of less reliance on Fraklin. Then on the trip to a wet Subiaco early in 2013, they decided they they now commit well and truly to playing a second legitimate ruck to allow Roughy to stay forward but not late withdrawing Bailey from the game. Bailey retired due to a degenerative knee. He'd only just gone 27. Mitchell pretty much said at the Peter Crimmins award ceremony that it was a tribute to the man that he was able to play at all in 2013 given the way he's pull up after each game. Of course there will be times McEvoy gets subbed off this year, but it will be nowhere near the extreme predictability of Hawthorn and Bailey. Less rotations means more time on the ground for the big men, so you want your 2nd big man to be at least semi agile, of which McEvoy is, and Bailey is/was not.

sr20

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Sydney
It's not that Hawthorn wanted one ruckman at all. They went the one ruckman route in 2012 but realised it was robbing them of offensive pressure especially with the aim of less reliance on Fraklin. Then on the trip to a wet Subiaco early in 2013, they decided they they now commit well and truly to playing a second legitimate ruck to allow Roughy to stay forward but not late withdrawing Bailey from the game. Bailey retired due to a degenerative knee. He'd only just gone 27. Mitchell pretty much said at the Peter Crimmins award ceremony that it was a tribute to the man that he was able to play at all in 2013 given the way he's pull up after each game. Of course there will be times McEvoy gets subbed off this year, but it will be nowhere near the extreme predictability of Hawthorn and Bailey. Less rotations means more time on the ground for the big men, so you want your 2nd big man to be at least semi agile, of which McEvoy is, and Bailey is/was not.

I'm not saying McEvoys not more agile than Bailey. What I'm saying is that most teams you will find this season will Sub a Tall, and in MOST cases it will be the Ruckman that is less agile. Hawthorn's is McEvoy like it was with Bailey last year.

eg: GWS: Mumford and Giles, Giles will get subbed
Brisbane: Leuenberger and West (assuming West plays), West will get subbed.

There aren't a great deal of teams that will play two Ruckmen if they have a Roughead, Tippett type player. Hawthorn will but I just think in all likelihood when push comes to shove and you're after fresh legs in the last, he is more often than not the man that will go.

Back