2014 LFFL: Early Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Team to Beat: The Cheetahs

It's hard to go past the premiers at this stage. They won the flag for a reason, have a potent forward line, the best ruck/utility and have the ever-consistent Kieran Jack and now Ryan O'Keefe. They would be pretty happy with their side, but know that there are plenty of teams out for them. They are officially the hunted and fightingfury_88 is going to draft well once again to make sure they stay ahead. Traditionally they peak in finals, after missing top four, they won the flag with four great wins in a row and showed why the last four weeks are what count in this league. They are my leaders at this stage, but it changes with each draft round.

Contenders: Animals run wild, Mozzie Bites, South-Eastern Polar Bears, The Ladyboys, The Repeaters

I might be the only one, but I see there is a bit of a division between the top six and the rest at this stage. They were the top six teams this year and I'm pretty sure most people tipped them. These guys are the ones that could win on any given day and I'm sure The Cheetahs will be wary of them. Drew23 always excels with his list despite not having the flashy players that others might have. sr20 has a list that will scare anyone on any given day and is so consistent which is why I'm glad I took Kelly off him. WAG and amos are always great value and while they profess to be gods amongst men, they perform on the fantasy field as well. Last season my side was the anti-Cheetahs and my two worst scores came in the finals which was disappointing but I'm looking to be there again.

The Wild Card: American Rednecks

If there was one team to join the top six or "bridge the gap" to the rest, it's the Rednecks. They suffered injuries galore last season and reminded me of my side in 2012. They are my tip to upset the apple cart this year. If Deddy can continue his form drafting, he'll have his team in prime condition to make a serious run for the flag. Probably a notch or two behind the top six, but he showed when his team plays well they can beat most.

The Question Marks: City Oval Plovers and Classy Gentlemen

I actually really rate the Plovers list thus far and considering they finished so low, they have a fair bit to work with. Selwood and Fyfe are a great combination, much the same as Kennedy and Cotchin for Classy Gentlemen. Both sides could very well make the eight and as The Cheetahs showed, anything can happen from there. Both Jordie_tackles and Gentlemen could well be seeing finals this year.

Who Knows Where They Finish: Melbourne Heat, Safety Bay Stormers, The Alley Gators

These three are the three teams I'm struggling to find a place for. All have potential reasons for making finals, but they are currently just outside the eight for mine. peterss always puts up a competitive team but can he bounce back for finals this year? Danger in Texas suffered injuries galore in 2013 so can he finally show what coaching ability he has? DeeWong6996 made the finals last season and has some of the best carryovers, can he draft well enough to maintain a top eight spot?

Gonna be a long road in 2014: TRFC and Woodville Warriors

As distinct as the top six are this season, the bottom two are probably more distinct than ever. However in saying that, Woodville surprised this year managing to not finish bottom and even be in finals contention with a few rounds to go. I think BoshtrichBurger is showing the signs of being a really good coach and if he can match his coaching with his drafting, they could beat some of the teams just above them. TRFC are the big question mark with reservations held till after the draft, but they are probably the only real challenge to the spoon with Woodville. If thetradesman can nail a few guns early on however, he is in with a shot to head back up the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back