2nds 2014 Lions Reserves and NEAFL thread

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thought Close and Michael played okay. Goose played back today which in itself is interesting given Patfulls form in the seniors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They probably need him to with Gardiner getting promoted and Michael returning.

and do u want polinghorne in the senior team? I remember what he was like last year and the year before, he would add nothing that the young guys wouldnt and he also gives the ball back a lot of times.

You must be a hoot at parties.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
if polks is ever in our team we will never seriously contend for the finals as it shows how bad our depth is.

We were never seriously contending for the flag, you guys may rate him but l have seen plenty of him and l know he will never be a great player, l feel that the current stock we have now will overtake him pretty quickly.

The goalposts on your home ground are obviously difficult to maintain?

We were never seriously contending for the flag, you guys may rate him but l have seen plenty of him and l know he will never be a great player, l feel that the current stock we have now will overtake him pretty quickly.

I rate anyone with experience in our team right now. I love playing kids, dont get me wrong, but jeez it would be nice to see at least a handful of wins this year.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Things I learnt today at the Ressies:

• My boy Archie ... what a gun. Every game he plays he is closer to leaving the rookie list.
  • Mr Ripper genuinely wears left-of-centre hats, and it works.
  • Skoob utilises his car as a clubhouse, set of chairs and umbrella.
  • Tairy Greene is a genuinely normal guy with a high-brow taste for Sizzler, that I hope to assist with.
  • The game was pretty good.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I rate anyone with experience in our team right now. I love playing kids, dont get me wrong, but jeez it would be nice to see at least a handful of wins this year.
I can see where you are coming from and l understand that so many young guys is making it not as competetive as it should be, but l feel that if we can just get as many games into the young guys as possible even if it means this year is a write off it will be alot more beneficial in the long term, we would also get a very decent pick and hopefully a good forward.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
the whole point of playing finals is to win a flag. I can not honestly see Polkinghorne being in a premiership team, can you?

There are a number of things to aim for before a premiership. Your initial suggestion of playing finals was a good start, and Polks was part of our finals team.

I don't see a problem with him playing in finals if he plays his best football.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There are a number of things to aim for before a premiership. Your initial suggestion of playing finals was a good start, and Polks was part of our finals team.

I don't see a problem with him playing in finals if he plays his best football.
Thats the problem, l have seen him play good football, and tbh it is pretty decent. However, it is so rare to see it. For finals he needs to be consistent at that level, he played well in this reserves game but in the games previous to this one, the reports said he was terrible. I wouldnt be bringing him in just yet, if he can replicate that form for another game or 2 then it would be good to come in.

From memory, l though he played a good game (in the seniors) when he was playing on-ball.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Close's marking today was outstanding and clearly a step up on anything he's shown at this level previously.

Agree, found myself thinking I wish he marked like that at senior level. Appreciate the standard of defense is very different though.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Things I learnt today at the Ressies:

• My boy Archie ... what a gun. Every game he plays he is closer to leaving the rookie list.
  • Mr Ripper genuinely wears left-of-centre hats, and it works.
  • Skoob utilises his car as a clubhouse, set of chairs and umbrella.
  • Tairy Greene is a genuinely normal guy with a high-brow taste for Sizzler, that I hope to assist with.
  • The game was pretty good.
I must protest.
Really, I take umbrage at this post. I can't see how after a first meeting you can form this opinion.
Terribly inaccurate and unfair.

Oh, not the bit about me, (that was nice), no, Tairy Greene, "Genuinely nice":confused:. After you left, he stole my seat while I was at the 'tuckshop'.:mad:

:p

Great to meet yourself and Lixy_ by the way.:thumbsu:

acuguy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 31, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree, found myself thinking I wish he marked like that at senior level. Appreciate the standard of defense is very different though.

If he can do it at a lower level at 20 he is a big chance at the higher level. Ball use, physical size and confidence are the factors which influence the output of a key forward. Let's hope for Close all 3 issues are addressed in the near future.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Watched from start to finish...I thought a very well-balanced performance from all, Aspley were pretty average in all fairness and they now sit 1-3 which I don't think anyone would have predicted. O'Brien was sensational all day and I think its time to elevate him. His ball use is actually very good and his composure in traffic definitely set him apart. Crisp was good on the inside and while he didn't have a massive influence I thought his in-and-under work was good considering he hasn't really played that role in the seniors. Sam Michael was probably the best of the talls but Archie certainly wasn't far behind, he is starting to look comfortable and I think its not a far cry to see him in the ones by at least next season. He nearly kicked a brilliant running goal but it was just touched on the line. Definitely a sign of things to come! Close took some good grabs but probably didn't have the influence I would have liked. Harwood and Raines were honourable mentions.

Watson and Cameron-Reeves were the pick of the bunch top ups wise, both looked like listed players and certainly out-performed the likes of Conway I thought, Uebergang again showed some signs he could make it at the top level, very mature body aswell when you see him in person.
Good summary, but not sure I agree Dadsy was best of the talls. The scoreboard didn't really show how good close was. A lot of good work up the ground as opposed to scoring range. Clunk after clunk. I would have Him level pegging with Archie for best talls. I agree, O'brien can't be far from elevation based on reports and today's game.
I wouldn't be against Polk's being given a chance at helping to steady the ship, but I doubt that's part of the plan. Was good today and reckon he is adequate in filling a similar role to Buchanan a couple of years ago. Crisp looks like a really good NEAFL player.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If he can do it at a lower level at 20 he is a big chance at the higher level. Ball use, physical size and confidence are the factors which influence the output of a key forward. Let's hope for Close all 3 issues are addressed in the near future.
I think he is actually 19 which makes it even more impressive. Has all the qualities to become a great forward for us.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thats the problem, l have seen him play good football, and tbh it is pretty decent. However, it is so rare to see it. For finals he needs to be consistent at that level, he played well in this reserves game but in the games previous to this one, the reports said he was terrible. I wouldnt be bringing him in just yet, if he can replicate that form for another game or 2 then it would be good to come in.

From memory, l though he played a good game (in the seniors) when he was playing on-ball.
Yeah, but as James said, there's a bit to do before we are playing finals, let alone contending for a flag. Polks could have a role in getting there. In the short term in particular, he could easily be of benefit, that's not to say he will be the match winner on Grand Final day.;)
(And you did just say "finals" in your OP.)

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Archie Smith Appreciation Post

HE TACKLES

Archie-3.jpg

HE LEAPS

Archie-2.jpg

AND THE OPPOSITION GIVES UP