2014 Mature Aged Players

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand the reasoning for not giving them a chance (the too small argument) hence why they are overlooked. Once they have gone back to a respective state league and done a good job and proved they can play against men then they should be given a chance.

Sam Heavyside (177cm, 76kg) is one who has done just that and fully expect him to get given a go at this years draft.
Maybe that should be the case, but they'd just get pushed off the ball too much at AFL level.

Big difference being a small inside midfielder than being a small outside midfielder.

Being a small forward is a completely different kettle of fish
Ferguson and Williams are inside mids

Ferguson and Williams are inside mids

If you've played with Ferguson in juniors you should realise he's not an inside mid. Clearly a small forward and would play as one at AFL level. Would definitely not be the worst choice from the VFL. His size has never been an issue for him up until this point - it is his low centre of gravity that gives him such terrific balance and agility. IMO the only thing holding him back from potentially being drafted is his skills, at his height you probably have to be a little more polished than what he is, though his kick is by no means poor.

If you've played with Ferguson in juniors you should realise he's not an inside mid. Clearly a small forward and would play as one at AFL level. Would definitely not be the worst choice from the VFL. His size has never been an issue for him up until this point - it is his low centre of gravity that gives him such terrific balance and agility. IMO the only thing holding him back from potentially being drafted is his skills, at his height you probably have to be a little more polished than what he is, though his kick is by no means poor.
He played inside mid all through juniors, I know that for a fact. I haven't seen him much this year (other than the day after ANZAC Day) but he played on ball a lot that day.

He played inside mid all through juniors, I know that for a fact. I haven't seen him much this year (other than the day after ANZAC Day) but he played on ball a lot that day.

You're pretty clueless to be honest. He might've played as an inside mid in U/12s but for the past 4 years at least he's played as a small forward, and has been again this year.

Also, you say he's not up to it despite actually not seeing him much this year. When have you last seen him?

You're pretty clueless to be honest. He might've played as an inside mid in U/12s but for the past 4 years at least he's played as a small forward, and has been again this year.

Also, you say he's not up to it despite actually not seeing him much this year. When have you last seen him?
Past 4 years? Try 2 years.

Andrew Browne the ex Richmond ruckman who is currently starring for Keilor in the Essendon District League is being sort by Essendon and Brisbane as a potential rookie selection for next year. Doubtful at this point if he actually wants to pursue this avenue as he has other things in his life that maybe more important than football. Currently earns big coin for a local player which would probably be more than he would get as a rookie in the AFL. Also he doesnt have to train 6 days a week.

Andrew Browne the ex Richmond ruckman who is currently starring for Keilor in the Essendon District League is being sort by Essendon and Brisbane as a potential rookie selection for next year. Doubtful at this point if he actually wants to pursue this avenue as he has other things in his life that maybe more important than football. Currently earns big coin for a local player which would probably be more than he would get as a rookie in the AFL. Also he doesnt have to train 6 days a week.
You don't earn 50k playing local leagues. Local leagues + work maybe, but not purely local leagues

You don't earn 50k playing local leagues. Local leagues + work maybe, but not purely local leagues

You do at Nth Heidelberg, Vermont, Northcote Park or Strathmore.

Barlow, ex Hawthorn, knocked back a year on an AFL senior list because he was getting paid more than the base contract at Vermont.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 grand a game is fairly common in the EDFL this year. I dont know how much of that is tax free unlike the AFL system. Just check out Aberfeldie with Kyle Reimers, Darcy Daniher and Mark Blake.

Why do you think players like Mark Blake were happy to run around to the highest bidder rather than try their luck on a rookie list when they probably know deep down that they will never make the top level again.

Yep iv heard of some people earning 50k per season plus a car as a sign on fee. Lot of money in country Vic footy.

Any ex AFL players in state leagues a chance of getting another crack?

I saw mentions of Tynan and Connors earlier?

Of ex AFL listed players, I genuinely think how Dan Connors has gone about his business could prove a point to recruiters.

Ditto Josh Tynan (ex Melbourne) who had another 33 possessions on the weekend.

Of ex AFL listed players, I genuinely think how Dan Connors has gone about his business could prove a point to recruiters.

Ditto Josh Tynan (ex Melbourne) who had another 33 possessions on the weekend.
Yeah, he tore us up

i'd rookie Dan Connors. One year contract, he stuffs up he's out on his arse, no harm no foul. I don't think i've seen him play better than he is for Port currently

Remove this Banner Ad

Back