2014 Mature Aged Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Think I'm finalising a list of mature aged/state league guys who could take the next step.

Would love to get a gauge on them from Snoop Dog, Chris25, ROYAL EAGLE and TheBrownDog for the other states.

Anyways, a list of guys id have on the nose as draft prospects.

Erin Wasley Black (NT Thunder)
Aaron Van Den Berg (Ainslie)
Josh Glenn (Central Districts)
Matthew Panos (Norwood)
Zane Kirkwood (Sturt)
Brett Eddy (South Adelaide)
Sam Baulderstone (Norwood)
Darcey Cameron (Claremont)
Ben Saunders (South Fremantle)
Haiden Schloithe (South Fremantle)
George Hamson (Subiaco)
Ben Cavarra (Frankston)
Josh Tynan (Frankston)
Adam Marcon (Williamstown)
Sam Heavyside (Bendigo)
Adam Saad (Coburg)
Nic Rippon (North Ballarat)
Nic Newman (Frankston)
Shannon Taylor (Frankston)
Dan Connors (Port Melbourne)
Sam Tagliabue (Essendon)
Dan Coghlan (Essendon)

Feel free to add any names or give some insight into a player your interested in.

My opinion on the WAFL guys you've listed:

Cameron - How many other state league reserves footballers get pumped up as much as this bloke? Has had a very poor year form wise, but people are continuing to talk him up based on his reputation. I just don't understand? Move on! I'd say he will definitely make it as a WAFL league player, but it's just fanciful to be putting him up as an AFL prospect.

Saunders - Would love to see it happen. Very powerful footballer, I suppose somewhat similar to Brett Ebert in that he is a dwarf trying to play a key position role, so I'm not sure how he'd translate to AFL. Absolutely beautiful kick of the football and a genuine clutch performer. Powerful on the lead and at WAFL level opposition sides are forced to play their bigger key defenders on him just due to his strength in one on one contests. Clever and clean at ground level. I think he'd do ok if given a chance.

Schloithe - Has done everything you could have possibly asked for this season after being delisted. Progressed his game into a full time midfielder who racks up touches at will and is tenacious at the contest. May struggle to get a look in again due to his size, but I reckon he could carve out a career in the mould of a guy like Ashton Hams - a handy depth player.

Hampson - Another one I really like. Just a damn clever footballer, but is probably too slightly framed. Consistently finds himself in the right spots at the right time and possesses a clever knack of outjudging bigger and stronger opponents in the air. Started the year like a house on fire, with frequent 30+ disposal games to go along with bags of goals. Would be great if he gets the chance, but for a guy of his size to be successful in the AFL he'd probably have to be a lot more explosive in his movements.

As for other guys who I think may get a look in:

Brendon Abbott - A really nice 188cm type who can play forward or back. Built like a gorilla and has a nasty streak. Struggled a bit last year as an 18 year old with off field issues affecting his game, seeing him move back to Albany for a significant portion of the season. Has came back and has no trouble slotting into the league side and has played mostly up forward. I think he's a very good chance of a rookie spot somewhere, most likely for one of the WA clubs.

Ricky Cary - Rangy key forward type, many are put off with his lack of weight, but he is capable of some mercurial stuff when left one out. Made mincemeat of Fremantle's fringe key defenders in a game earlier on in the year and has had intermittent success since. Probably unlikely, but I can see why a club might see reason to invest in him.

Shane Yarran - Dangerous medium sized forward who can play the roles of a crumber or a lead up forward equally well. From what I have seen, he looks to have the killer instinct that tends to act as a separator between state league and AFL footballers. Certainly has the tools to continue to develop his defensive game, which may need a bit of improvement, but with a bit of time and focus I don't think will hold him back too much.

Has Josh Toys VFL performances warranted a potential comeback?

Darcey Cameron is averaging almost 20 hitouts a game and whilst 10 disposals isn't much. For a young ruck men it is quite good IMHO.

Would have thought it is enough to work with Hellgood ?

Would love to know why you don't rate him though

Look, it's a bit of a buzzword, but when watching him play I just don't see the intensity and aggression. He seems to me as though he is reactive and has a somewhat passive nature out on the ground.

Other WAFL reserves footballers don't get afforded the same kind of love. A similar kind of phase happened on here with Myles Bolger - everyone loved him in his draft year, missed out and despite never graduating to league ranks people still kept on putting him up as a potential draftee.

I think Cameron will eventually become a good ruckman for Claremont, his skills are good and he has the size you would want, but lets see him become a regular league footballer before talking of an AFL career.

Look, it's a bit of a buzzword, but when watching him play I just don't see the intensity and aggression. He seems to me as though he is reactive and has a somewhat passive nature out on the ground.

Other WAFL reserves footballers don't get afforded the same kind of love. A similar kind of phase happened on here with Myles Bolger - everyone loved him in his draft year, missed out and despite never graduating to league ranks people still kept on putting him up as a potential draftee.

I think Cameron will eventually become a good ruckman for Claremont, his skills are good and he has the size you would want, but lets see him become a regular league footballer before talking of an AFL career.

Did he pick up an injury because he played 11 of the first 13 games in the seniors and seemed to do well. Playing reserves at the moment suggests he is picking up fitness before returning with a wet sail IMHO.

Some WAFL players I would consider. I won't mention guys who have been talked about for years but who never get drafted (eg Shane Nelson)

Tim Kelly (20) South Fremantle - I think this guy deserves a shot. Decent athleticism and size. Can win the ball and can run and carry. Skills are solid. Has a well-rounded game but perhaps versatility is an issue. Apparently tested well last year, production is good. Not sure why there isn't more interest.

Haiden Schloithe (21) South Fremantle - Has had an excellent year. Small size but that hasn't stopped others from carving out an AFL career. At AFL level I probably see him more as a small defender who can run through the midfield and perform a defensive role - but that really hasn't been his role this year.

Tom Shanahan (19) East Perth - Probably rookie at best but was unlucky last year. Has dominated in the reserves and has outplayed many of the Eagles rookies at that grade. Has finally broken through to the league team and his form during the finals will be one to watch.

Brendon Abbott (19) Claremont - Big bodied player with some athleticism who is still learning the game and will take some time to build an AFL engine. Eagles apparently interested.

Mitch McGovern (19) Claremont - Looks like a smaller but more athletic version of his brother. If you like what his brother brings to the game then you'll probably also be interested in this guy.

Think I'm finalising a list of mature aged/state league guys who could take the next step.

Would love to get a gauge on them from Snoop Dog, Chris25, ROYAL EAGLE and TheBrownDog for the other states.

Matthew Panos (Norwood)
Zane Kirkwood (Sturt)
George Hamson (Subiaco)
Ben Cavarra (Frankston)
Josh Tynan (Frankston)
Sam Heavyside (Bendigo)
Adam Saad (Coburg)
Nic Newman (Frankston)
Sam Tagliabue (Essendon)
Dan Coghlan (Essendon)

Feel free to add any names or give some insight into a player your interested in.

The ones I am looking at who arent the above (and agree all in the mix) are;

Shane Yarran - he is probably the one with the most upside I see. He ticks a lot of boxes the question on him will be his State test results. He will absolutely smash, agility, 20m and vert leap but not sure what beep he would run and whether its to AFL standard for a Fwd pkt, high HF. From what I have seen of his running patterns he should be ok but he is coming from a mile back in his fitness so not sure.

Jack Johnstone - He is a ripper. For those havent seen him think Tyson Goldsack but a bit shorter. Quick HB, Wing type who can shut down players and has speed to and natural instinct to be aggressive.

Jake Owen - Another Willy boy. He has a few tricks but probably needs to make as a tall inside mid. Maybe needs to improve the tank.

Aaron Black - West perth bloke who have seen a lot of and watched his game vs peel the other day and just think he is to good for that level. Has scope to play a few different spots as well. V good with ball in hand.

Adam Marcon and Kane Lambert - Both mature classy types who would be great depth players.

Darcey Cameron is averaging almost 20 hitouts a game and whilst 10 disposals isn't much. For a young ruck men it is quite good IMHO.

Would need time as a rookie.

I would go with Sam Baulderstone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My opinion on the WAFL guys you've listed:

Cameron - How many other state league reserves footballers get pumped up as much as this bloke? Has had a very poor year form wise, but people are continuing to talk him up based on his reputation. I just don't understand? Move on! I'd say he will definitely make it as a WAFL league player, but it's just fanciful to be putting him up as an AFL prospect.

Saunders - Would love to see it happen. Very powerful footballer, I suppose somewhat similar to Brett Ebert in that he is a dwarf trying to play a key position role, so I'm not sure how he'd translate to AFL. Absolutely beautiful kick of the football and a genuine clutch performer. Powerful on the lead and at WAFL level opposition sides are forced to play their bigger key defenders on him just due to his strength in one on one contests. Clever and clean at ground level. I think he'd do ok if given a chance.

Schloithe - Has done everything you could have possibly asked for this season after being delisted. Progressed his game into a full time midfielder who racks up touches at will and is tenacious at the contest. May struggle to get a look in again due to his size, but I reckon he could carve out a career in the mould of a guy like Ashton Hams - a handy depth player.

Hampson - Another one I really like. Just a damn clever footballer, but is probably too slightly framed. Consistently finds himself in the right spots at the right time and possesses a clever knack of outjudging bigger and stronger opponents in the air. Started the year like a house on fire, with frequent 30+ disposal games to go along with bags of goals. Would be great if he gets the chance, but for a guy of his size to be successful in the AFL he'd probably have to be a lot more explosive in his movements.

As for other guys who I think may get a look in:

Brendon Abbott - A really nice 188cm type who can play forward or back. Built like a gorilla and has a nasty streak. Struggled a bit last year as an 18 year old with off field issues affecting his game, seeing him move back to Albany for a significant portion of the season. Has came back and has no trouble slotting into the league side and has played mostly up forward. I think he's a very good chance of a rookie spot somewhere, most likely for one of the WA clubs.

Ricky Cary - Rangy key forward type, many are put off with his lack of weight, but he is capable of some mercurial stuff when left one out. Made mincemeat of Fremantle's fringe key defenders in a game earlier on in the year and has had intermittent success since. Probably unlikely, but I can see why a club might see reason to invest in him.

Shane Yarran - Dangerous medium sized forward who can play the roles of a crumber or a lead up forward equally well. From what I have seen, he looks to have the killer instinct that tends to act as a separator between state league and AFL footballers. Certainly has the tools to continue to develop his defensive game, which may need a bit of improvement, but with a bit of time and focus I don't think will hold him back too much.

FWIW I agree on Cameron.

I just wonder whether clubs think Hampson has the build. I rate him high but something not getting him through.

Also why doesnt Aaron Black get thrown up more. He has a few tricks, nice size and shape about him and ball use is very good. Can play a few different roles as well.

Matthew Panos (Norwood)
Zane Kirkwood (Sturt)
George Hamson (Subiaco)
Ben Cavarra (Frankston)
Josh Tynan (Frankston)
Sam Heavyside (Bendigo)
Adam Saad (Coburg)
Nic Newman (Frankston)
Sam Tagliabue (Essendon)
Dan Coghlan (Essendon)

Lambert + Marcon from Williamstown both should be on AFL lists.

Some WAFL players I would consider. I won't mention guys who have been talked about for years but who never get drafted (eg Shane Nelson)

Tim Kelly (20) South Fremantle - I think this guy deserves a shot. Decent athleticism and size. Can win the ball and can run and carry. Skills are solid. Has a well-rounded game but perhaps versatility is an issue. Apparently tested well last year, production is good. Not sure why there isn't more interest.

Haiden Schloithe (21) South Fremantle - Has had an excellent year. Small size but that hasn't stopped others from carving out an AFL career. At AFL level I probably see him more as a small defender who can run through the midfield and perform a defensive role - but that really hasn't been his role this year.

Tom Shanahan (19) East Perth - Probably rookie at best but was unlucky last year. Has dominated in the reserves and has outplayed many of the Eagles rookies at that grade. Has finally broken through to the league team and his form during the finals will be one to watch.

Brendon Abbott (19) Claremont - Big bodied player with some athleticism who is still learning the game and will take some time to build an AFL engine. Eagles apparently interested.

Mitch McGovern (19) Claremont - Looks like a smaller but more athletic version of his brother. If you like what his brother brings to the game then you'll probably also be interested in this guy.

How tall is Tim Kelly?

Also, does he have a big enough tank to run around in the midfield

Yeah he's been playing midfield for Souths all year as far as I know. I wouldn't say he has an elite engine but its good enough. Worth a shot on the rookie list IMO.

Not saying he can't make it, but Sinclair for instance dominates at WAFL level and still is not an AFL regular.

The state leagues don't have great big guy depth, especially in the ruck department.

Still needs some time to develop.

Abbott is the guy people should watch out for in the WAFL. Would be surprised if one of WC or Freo didn't take him. Big, angry and with decent boot. Despite spending time up forward I still like him as a HBF.

Sinclair is not better than Josh Kennedy or Jack Darling forward, nor is he better than Scott Lycett or NicNat in the ruck.
This is true, but Sinclair dominates the WAFL. He would be good as a pinch hitting ruck/forward in a teams starting 18, however Cameron is a long way back from this level.

Like Sinclair, if you draft him, you may have to be patient. He can definitely make it, but isn't AFL ready ATM.

Baulderstone is who I would be looking at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back