2014 Membership tallies - Final AFL 2014 Tally in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Still cant believe that.
Buy a Guernsey and for 1c more, you can have access to a game.
It's a bit like a door buster sale. Got to get the customer in the door in the hope that in the future they will become a regular big spender.
Very smart commercial decision.
Oh, and available to all clubs to try and boost their own memberships. If they have the nouse.

It's a bit like a door buster sale. Got to get the customer in the door in the hope that in the future they will become a regular big spender.
Very smart commercial decision.
Oh, and available to all clubs to try and boost their own memberships. If they have the nouse.

Maybe. But if it means that someone that would ordinarily buy a full membership downgrades to a trinket membership instead then it's not that smart.

Not that it matters to Collingwood of course, obviously times are pretty good at the moment, so it's worth them trying to increase numbers even if it costs money.

Regular members are not going to downgrade to a GA one game membership.
Those already members have already seen the value in full membership.
The smart thing for those teams that struggle to get numbers signing on is to offer these one/three game memberships to encourage followers to take the next step.
Getting the followers to the excitement of a live game is paramount if you want to change their seat from the lounge room to the stadium.
I would much prefer these strugglers to have a go at this business model instead of looking to equalisation.

North have implemented an initiative to try to get to 40,000. Buy your 2015 membership now (at 2014 prices, mind you) and get the rest of 2014 free. Great to see such innovation, hopefully it results in the magical 40,000 mark being reached.

Current tally: 39,035

North have implemented an initiative to try to get to 40,000. Buy your 2015 membership now (at 2014 prices, mind you) and get the rest of 2014 free. Great to see such innovation, hopefully it results in the magical 40,000 mark being reached.

Current tally: 39,035
Tiges did that last year, first afl team to do it. Got the idea from American sports

Tiges did that last year, first afl team to do it. Got the idea from American sports
The Australian Baseball League was using that trick as well. Perth Heat were offering Championship Series tickets in your normal seat complementary to people who bought their 14/15 memberships in full during the week leading up to the series. I believe it got them some bites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how many does Eddie own, how many 1 game memberships are in that total list as well
clubs that play most their home games at the G their fans buy memberships, clubs that play at Etihad fans not so much

Essendon have 1 game memberships too!

Collingwood are first in memberships and have 77,000 k members for the simple reason that we are actually the most supported afl club in Australia.

Essendon have not had more members then Collingwood since 2002. Actually you have 7,000 less then hawthorn who play 4 games a year at tassie and 5,000 less then Richmond and they have been s**t for 32 years

Essendon have 1 game memberships too!

Collingwood are first in memberships and have 77,000 k members for the simple reason that we are actually the most supported afl club in Australia.

Essendon have not had more members then Collingwood since 2002. Actually you have 7,000 less then hawthorn who play 4 games a year at tassie and 5,000 less then Richmond and they have been s**t for 32 years

If anything shouldn't Hawthorn have more members (8,567 last year) because they play games in Tasmania??? The fact we've won 2 flags in 6 years would probably help our numbers along as well

Hawthorn FWIW is up to 68,475 and is probably an outside chance of cracking 69,000.

Essendon like Carlton will never compete with Collingwood (77k), Hawthorn (68k) and Richmond (65k) so long as they play the majority of home games at Ethiad. Once they shift to the MCG its open slather

I actually wonder how far ahead Collingwood are compared to West Coast in terms of supporters.

I don't think the difference is actually that big

I personally doubt that Collingwood have as many supporters in Melbourne as West Coast do in Perth. Outside those cities Collingwood probably have you covered, but I don't think the difference is that much.

I personally doubt that Collingwood have as many supporters in Melbourne as West Coast do in Perth. Outside those cities Collingwood probably have you covered, but I don't think the difference is that much.
there is a big difference, collingwood are a suburb, that compete in a state with 8 other teams. The West eagles was the inaugural team from WA, that representes a whole state & only has 1 other team to compete against for AFL fans

there is a big difference, collingwood are a suburb, that compete in a state with 8 other teams. The West eagles was the inaugural team from WA, that representes a whole state & only has 1 other team to compete against for AFL fans

This statement of the obvious and does not require comment.

Watch West Coast start posting numbers every other club in the comp can only dream about once they get their new stadium. They are probably the biggest club in the country now based purely on football operations and revenue and this whilst being constrained by an outdated and too small stadium. They will fly into the stratosphere once the new stadium comes on line.

Collingwood would most certainly be the more national club.

If you look at just about every indicator of club support, Collingwood is the one constant that sits atop all indicators of club support. Take for example the most recent survey on afl.com.au (and no I don't think Hawthorn is realistically the 2nd biggest club in the competition)...

Ffan%20Survey6.jpg

Collingwood's influence and profile has positioned itself to be the default 'big club' in the competition. That said if West Coast or even Adelaide were given the national profile that Collingwood has enjoyed for being the premier football club in the competitions biggest football market over the last 15 years, I would imagine that the sizable gap that exists between Collingwood and the rest would close.

The whole equalisation debate should be structured so to look at the level of exposure each football club enjoys in its core market and the national market as a whole

Remove this Banner Ad

Back