2014 membership- Target 40,000

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone bored? Here's a game we can all play while waiting for this week's game (and more importantly the Vent thread). We have to make 54 out of the daily posted membership tally.

Did anyone watch the show Letters and Numbers? In that you had to make a certain total by manipulating a set of numbers using only the multiply, divide, add and subtract operators.

So for example, today we have five digits (2,6,2,2,6) so you could go:

2/2 = 1 and then use the 1 as follows:
1 +2 +6 = 9 and then use the 9 as follows:
9 x 6 = 54.

You don't have to use all the digits but you can only use each digit once.
First correct result each day gets a free "like". (And maybe an extra one from Fossie 32 )
Reminds me of this movie.

x59z5c.jpg

(Ignore the many 23's on his face :p)

Well, we're making this up as we go, but let's say you can use them together, but if you do they must be in sequence (eg you can't use 66 in 26,226) and only if you use all the digits. (Otherwise if the total got to 27,547 someone would just grab the 54!) :)
This post says 54 minutes ago ;)

Very disappointed we didn't crack 26k over the weekend.
I noticed leaving thegame that the WB tents were all packed up, but the NM one was still trading. To be expected I guess, after a loss.

Hopefully they were packed today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate to get this thread back on track but with such a low membership one has to ask whether the club administrators are failing in this area. The Kangaroos have 33K and will probably hit 35 soon and the Demons are sitting on 32 after several years of cellar-dwelling.

What are we doing wrong, or are our supporters really that fickle? Is it just 60 years without any success and our 'tragic history'?

Was the 'Our Heartland' campaign a dismal failure and is the tactic of targeting the western suburbs really far off the mark? It appears that way.

Is it live footy on TV? Is it membership or ticket prices?

Hate to get this thread back on track but with such a low membership one has to ask whether the club administrators are failing in this area. The Kangaroos have 33K and will probably hit 35 soon and the Demons are sitting on 32 after several years of cellar-dwelling.

What are we doing wrong, or are our supporters really that fickle? Is it just 60 years without any success and our 'tragic history'?

Was the 'Our Heartland' campaign a dismal failure and is the tactic of targeting the western suburbs really far off the mark? It appears that way.

It's the White elephant in the room that nobody likes to talk about, therefore it's not happening.

I hate to say it but I think that really is the main issue. It seems to me that we have plenty of people who support the club but just don't sign up. I mean like you said with all the issues Melbourne have had they still get decent membership numbers. Even after all the crap in preseason and their lack of success St Kilda have better membership numbers than us.

It's really disappointing.

What are we doing wrong, or are our supporters really that fickle? Seemingly Is it just 60 years without any success partly and our 'tragic history'no?

Was the 'Our Heartland' campaign a dismal failure (I think so, this year's is better but then I think personality driven campaigns are fraught with danger especially when the fronting personality has an inauspicious start to the year as was the case last year)and is the tactic of targeting the western suburbs really far off the mark (I think it's OK)? It appears that way.

North were very competitive all of last year so supporters may be more inclined to jump on in number because they would appear to be closer than us as well as having a few flags won in the living memory of their supporters to sustain them. Should we have a good year this year and make or get close to finals I would expect a surge in membership for next year. Most people can see an upward trend and even the possibility of sustained success on the horizon (hope is there). The next 5 seasons is our opportunity to establish a long lasting and sizeable supporter base on the back of at least one flag and a sustained presence in finals.

Further to this, I think they got their campaign right this year. The club viewed through the eyes of a child. It's not a jaded view as they haven't lived through the despair of older members. Children and new entrants to Australia/Melbourne or football generally will grow the membership base. Both require onfield success and the excitement of winning/playing well/being competitive. History is a lesser concern to them at this, the hook stage.
I think it's unlikely that many over the age of 12 will be added to the fold unless they're new to the game. Past that age, and already involved in the game, they're likely to be entrenched in a club already and unlikely to change.

I suggest that our supporters are on average of a lower income bracket and therefore more sensitive to price increases, employment levels and the health of the economy. It is interesting to note the current drop in overall AFL game attendances as well. Unemployment levels have risen, utility prices and food stables have also increased. All these are felt more keenly by those on lower income brackets.

The relentless annual increases to membership and food costs at etihad when most of those on lower incomes are not seeing compensationary rises in their take home pay must inevitably have an impact. The AFL didnt do us or themselves any favours, when they removed concessional ticket prices during the preseason matches.

Don't forget North sells a few thousand Tassy memberships too. Not the same as a full membership.
They count as the non-game day membership.

I think we have around 2k non game memberships last time i knew.

I think our aim should be to beat 2012 and 2013 by getting around 31,000 members - that will be great. If things are even better, we should aim to beat 32,215, which was the second highest figure (2011) and when we were amongst the 2 or 3 pre-season favourites for the flag. We'll have to play and likely win a final before we're near 2010, which was almost 35,000 largely due to the NAB cup win (when it was still somewhat relevant), Barry Hall and redemption for 2009.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back