2014 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally think it's borderline pointless comparing membership numbers before and during the early part of the season.

Habits of signup have changed. Many more people are on monthly arrangements meaning they're counted earlier.

The only comparison that counts is that on finalisation day.
Solid point. Another is the fact that 3 game and full season memberships aren't distinguished in those counts. It's nice to have a 'membership count' number for bragging, but it's hard to tell just how much it will benefit the club from the number shown.

I was hoping for a bit more of a spike after playing our first game at the Gabba. I assume the club has tents set up to sign members up around the ground like they do here.
A lot of that stuff was closed as it was raining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally think it's borderline pointless comparing membership numbers before and during the early part of the season.

Habits of signup have changed. Many more people are on monthly arrangements meaning they're counted earlier.

The only comparison that counts is that on finalisation day.

I think what your saying is true to a degree, as only the Clubs themselves really know how they are tracking due to those kind of things - although I would suggest it applies more from the period November through to Feb each year (also the 2013 comparison for the Lions in particular doesn't seem that relevant because of an almost unprecedented late surge in memberships last year).

However, given we are now in April it is becoming a bit clearer what the final total looks like being. My latest educated guess is it will be between 23.5k-25.5k.

Maybe we should open up a membership stand outside of adelaide oval and say we are port even though we really aren't

We would be at 30k by the end of the week.

Maybe we should open up a membership stand outside of adelaide oval and say we are port even though we really aren't

We would be at 30k by the end of the week.

I'm glad you clarified that bit.

Is it any wander we have membership problems. Signed up before the game against the Cats at the GABBA, two weeks on nothing. Phoned the club left 3 messages no call back. Until today I finally get somebody and the best he can do is confirm they have nothing in the system and will get somebody else to call me next week. It seems this sort of incompetence happens every year.

A small increase from the last update, our membership total is now 23,349.

Looks almost certain now we will finish with less members than last year (24,155), in fact we will probably just get past 23,500.
So we've ditched the fair weather types and only the true faithful remain.

So we've ditched the fair weather types and only the true faithful remain.

Could get real ugly next year if we don't offer our supporters some hope on field this season. A total of about 20,000 members seems to be our diehard base, with any extra relating to how well we played in the previous season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A small increase from the last update, our membership total is now 23,349.

Looks almost certain now we will finish with less members than last year (24,155), in fact we will probably just get past 23,500.

A little pessimistic perhaps LOTR?...according to my records:

23 April !2....20,002

26 April 13....21,608

23 April 14....23,349

15 May 13.....22,048......N.B.

Again,according to my records,there was a nice spurt of memberships after 15 May 13.

A little pessimistic perhaps LOTR?...according to my records:

23 April !2....20,002

26 April 13....21,608

23 April 14....23,349

15 May 13.....22,048......N.B.

Again,according to my records,there was a nice spurt of memberships after 15 May 13.

I think a lot of that was pent up demand from winning the NAB Cup and possibly the total not being updated in a timely matter. In 2014 our season is already over at 0-5, this time last year we had won the NAB Cup and were 2-3.

The increase in membership recently has slowed to a trickle (corresponding with the form onfield), which seems to confirm a pessimistic outlook.

I think a lot of that was pent up demand from winning the NAB Cup and possibly the total not being updated in a timely matter. In 2014 our season is already over at 0-5, this time last year we had won the NAB Cup and were 2-3.

The increase in membership recently has slowed to a trickle (corresponding with the form onfield), which seems to confirm a pessimistic outlook.

Have you got some not readily available info on the trickle?...as I have the following:

2013 increase for 3 April to 26 April.....530.

2014 increase for 3 April to 23 April.....611.

Despite the Pre-Season and results in Rounds 1 to 5.

No doubt some wins between now and 15 May wouldn't hurt.

Or there are many disillusioned by the treatment of Voss and have decided to take time out because of it.

Paul Bates is filthy about it.

Have you got some not readily available info on the trickle?...as I have the following:

2013 increase for 3 April to 26 April.....530.

2014 increase for 3 April to 23 April.....611.

Despite the Pre-Season and results in Rounds 1 to 5.

No doubt some wins between now and 15 May wouldn't hurt.

The last two weeks the total has only increased 199, the first week of April it obviously increased by over 400 - to me that indicates a drastic slowdown, which is exactly what is to be expected given results onfield.

I would be very suprised if we even managed to add another 1000 members from here, let alone the 2500 that apparently signed up in the corresponding period last year (noting in the 2014 season everything is a week earlier than normal right up until July or so, due to the earlier start of the season, so the comparisons are not exactly right anyway).

In 2012 we only added another 750 members from this point - which I think is a more accurate comparison (although again it still doesn't take into account the earlier start to the season this year). If we match that number again this year it would be about as good as we can possibly hope for (with my actual best guess for our final total being about 23,800). We will get some small boost from membership from the first Melbourne game, and if we manage to snag a win soon, but I can't see too much more than that.

I hope to be prooven wrong though.

Paul Bates is filthy about it.

I wouldn't make lite of it, I know personally I took a long time before deciding to renew mine and my brother has decided to sit on the sideline for 12mths because of it. He stills support and will be back as a member next year but has decide to sit this year out as a result of the clubs treatment of Vossie.

Edited for correctness.

Another thing to consider as well is that Origin was offering free membership to a club of your choice last year if you either 1) agreed to swap electricity supplier to them or 2) committed to stay with them for the next 12mths. I'm not sure how this translated into membership numbers but I do know 2 friends that took this option last year that have not joined this year.

I bought my first membership since 1996 last week, looking forward to going and watching us get pumped by Norf in Rd 9 with my awesome lanyard.