2014 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I gave the Angel Olsen LP a run today and really liked it.

Nothing groundbreaking, but she's got some gorgeous dreamy lyrics which at the core are actually kind of heartbreaking and I kind of get the feeling she's this years Sky Ferreira minus the cocaine addiction.

Her voice really is quite delicate and beautiful despite still being fairly lo-fi too.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lol I thought it was heroin???

Anyone else vibe to this?

Yo, can't wait for his actual album. Still not really anything on Far Nearer but that was always going to happen.

I don't think Sky Ferreira's addicted to anything. She's just an idiot, which is unfortunate because she used to be pretty cute and now she's getting toward skeletor levels in the face. And her album's a total banger.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The new Manchester Orchestra is pretty average I reckon.

I love their first few LP's and Andy Hull had some seriously good sets of lyrics but I found Simple Math pretty dull and it had some pretty embarrassing and lame tracks (Virgin) but it did grow on me a bit. I just found it far too forced and I they're trying way too hard to make stadium rock riffs these days but at least they're consistent.

I'd give a light to decent 6.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

This reminds me of Dinosaur Jr. I didn't really dig it the first time I heard it, but I kept finding myself coming back to it. A grower, hopefully picking up the album this week.

They sound like Yuck; who are also right into ripping off Dino J.

That song sounded tight though.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mac Demarco's recent ascension has absolutely baffled me. I like the guy but it's come out of nowhere here. I still live in a fantasy where one day Captured Tracks will do a festival here in Melbs...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Liked the tracks with synthesiser on them on Salad Days, rest sounded like it was from 2.
Dude really needed to change it up. I guess he's played it really well though, he's giving people more of the same just when the biggest pool is getting used to it. He'll have to do a follow-up in the next 12 months though or lose relevancy 5eva. And considering CT were lame enough to say "more singles!" they'll be lame enough to press that on him.

WALDENPOND

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Agreed. They're progressing so well.

My top 5 so far would be

Cloud Nothings
Wild Beasts
War on Drugs
A Silver Mt. Zion
Angel Olsen

Disappointing:
La Dispute
Manchester Orchestra
Against Me!
On the disappointing list. Apart from La Dispute, I wasn't expecting much considering recent output.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Have I posted about the Craft Spells album?

Really good. Suits them well to go down a little more relaxed route.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back