2014 Music

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm digging the new Drums album. I always thought they were a bit crippled by their hype and the albums sound better now than the disappointments they always seemed to be. I'm a big fan of post-punk though so maybe it's a bias there, anyway, this new one has that water-dripping-from-the-tap-onto-concrete production sound of the first album and the sombreness and negativity of the second. Really dig it, actually, you can tell it's a grower but it's already a gem.

I Can't Pretend just sounds nice too, reminds me of that last Smith Westerns album.

I've been enjoying the Allison Crutchfield EP too.

Has anyone heard the new Mr Twin Sister? I can't find a download anywhere. Is the Karen O tape worth grabbing?

Spooky Black. Stumbled upon this guy by accident but I can't stop listening to him, aside from how regardless of how ridiculous his videos are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone listened to Slash, MK & TC's latest album World on Fire?

Loving it so far, with my favourites at this stage being The Unholy, Bent to Fly, World on Fire and Battleground. I'm definitely feeling like Myles is the star of this album, his vocals are incredible even by his standards.

Can't wait for Soundwave and hopefully some Sidewaves.

For a bit of fun I'm liking the Jamie T new stuff I've heard.
Panic Prevention is still one of my favourite albums. Like, top 10 territory. Spit-balled lyrics, so poetically and normally descriptive of the profoundness of being young and aware of the things everyone does: seeing their mates, going out, liking girls. The sound is still really unique, it's aged well, and it's something inimitable. And JT had a lot to do with me getting into music. Me and one of my best friends in high school used to chat whimsically about "man, it's been two years!" and how he had to put something out, surely, this year. And this year. And the next one.

So now I really, really want to like it. I know it's subtle. I know it's about getting older and wondering about things a little less intense and quick and fast. But it's just not very immediate. It's a bit disappointing. Zombie just seems a little anonymous, ten bands could've written it – ten bands I don't like. I mean it's by no means a shocking or bad album, but it's not why I fell in love with JT

Panic Prevention is still one of my favourite albums. Like, top 10 territory. Spit-balled lyrics, so poetically and normally descriptive of the profoundness of being young and aware of the things everyone does: seeing their mates, going out, liking girls. The sound is still really unique, it's aged well, and it's something inimitable. And JT had a lot to do with me getting into music. Me and one of my best friends in high school used to chat whimsically about "man, it's been two years!" and how he had to put something out, surely, this year. And this year. And the next one.

So now I really, really want to like it. I know it's subtle. I know it's about getting older and wondering about things a little less intense and quick and fast. But it's just not very immediate. It's a bit disappointing. Zombie just seems a little anonymous, ten bands could've written it – ten bands I don't like. I mean it's by no means a shocking or bad album, but it's not why I fell in love with JT
Panic Prevention is filled with great memories and was part of the soundtrack to my late teens. And even now if anyone is feeling low a good singalong to Shiela is sure to bring a smile.

And I agree with you're post. After listening to songs off Carry on the Grunge more I'm finding myself trying to like songs when the thing I liked about him in the past was how effortlessly I enjoyed the songs.

Last edited:
Not a hope in hell
Has it even been played on JJJ before? I doubt it. She's all but dead to the station now that she's completely crossed over

That's the joke.

Would like to see that hipster w*nker Richard Kingsmill asked the question as to why they've suddenly jumped off an Australian artist that they previously unquestioningly supported at seemingly the peak of their popularity. Far different to the End of Fashion situation.

Last edited:
Also, Iceage's Facebook page just posted a link to a YouTube playlist of all tracks from their new album 'Plowing into the Field of Love', a week before its physical release on October 6th. Sounds very early Bad Seeds, with a dash of The Gun Club and Swans mixed in.

Silent Alarm, might be of interest to you.
It actually leaked before their Melbourne show. That album came from nowhere. It's probably a more enjoyable listen than New Brigade and You're Nothing and just as unique. I think it'll be a grower though but man, they're like 22, and they'll end up churning out some pretty stellar albums I reckon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back