2014 NASCAR Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Criminal Charges/manslaughter or not, this is the end of Tony Stewarts career.

It's gonna by OJ all over again in the States.

I seriously don't know what to think. I know Tony has had his problems with anger before but surely he wouldn't of thought of hitting him would he? I was sick in the stomach as soon as I saw it.

I've heard theories that he was only trying to kick dirt up at the kid but even then it's no excuse. Criminal Negligence.

RIP to the young driver taken way too soon, Dying on the track is a tragedy but this... This is just... This shouldn't of happened.

This post brought to you by Android Power! In conjunction with Tapatalk and Samsung.

Racing at the Glen today still apparently!?
Max Papis to take his place in the #14 according to my sources.

Nevermind, Just been announced that he will race today.
This post brought to you by Android Power! In conjunction with Tapatalk and Samsung.

Last edited:
s2a4g2.jpg

Poor form
Lucky they're in upstate New York today and not elsewhere

I've heard theories that he was only trying to kick dirt up at the kid but even then it's no excuse. Criminal Negligence.

RIP to the young driver taken way too soon, Dying on the track is a tragedy but this... This is just... This shouldn't of happened.

The move he did is an incredibly common one. You see drivers "gas it up" in very close proximity to other drivers at every meeting. A couple examples of this made coverage for WSS this year on OneHD (I can post links to show examples if people wish). However, in basically all of those cases, the other driver is in his car and both cars are moving.

The incident reminds me of Tony Stewart vs Kenny Irwin JR at Martinsville. If I recall correctly, Stewart was the one who got penalized for that as the party who got out of his car, went down the track and had a go at Irwin JR who was driving by. He could easily have been pulled underneath the NASCAR Nextel Cup Car, but luckily was not. I feel that the person who passed (RIP) should be at least 65-70% responsible for the incident. It was foolish enough to run down the track and start gesturing. It was even more foolish to stay standing where he was. I mentioned this in the other thread, but I can confirm it is illegal in Australian Speedway to do get out of the car and react like that guy did.

As per the Australian Speedway Racing Rules & Regulation
4.22.3 Any Driver who gets out of a Race Car to remonstrate or make any defamatory gesture to any Official or other Driver, or who parades in an undignified manner on the Race Track will receive an Infringement Notice and be excluded from the Race Meeting. A minimum fine of $100 up to maximum fine of $2,000 and/or up to a maximum 12 month Suspension applies.

Still haven't found any ruling on if it's illegal in America, but I'd assume that if it weren't as equally frowned upon prior to this incident, it most certainly will be now. I do know Australia has much stricter rules in place in general to avoid law-suits and for the insurance.

I can't begin to imagine how the friends and family of the driver are feeling right now. Likewise for Tony Stewart and his friends and family and all of the American Speedway community. The only time they make the news over there is when NASCAR guys run at Eldora (When all people talk about is how great NASCAR is on dirt) or when something bad happens. After which, a whole heap of the Media "Social Commentators" who have never been to a race track before start commenting on what happened, drawing conclusions on situations things they don't know anything about and then start demanding for these tracks to close down. Stewart has or was (I knew it used to be the case) donated more to charity than nearly any other US Athlete (I think Tiger Woods is the only one that has donated more), but I don't expect any of this to be mentioned in the coming weeks in the US Press. I'm not saying he is innocent (As he is far from innocent) in this tragic incedent, but I am saying that I believe he will be made to look far worse than he deserves to be, much like it would be for the person who passed if the shoe was on the other foot. By running onto the track, you put your life at risk and the other driver's lives at risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you mean they showed the Tony Stewart crash?

Yep,at the start of the Sprint Cup coverage.Sure show the contact between the cars that caused him to get out of his car but I don't think they should've shown the incident where Stewart hits Ward.

Dinger won,with Ambrose 2nd

What was the deal with Ryan Newman and McDowell ?
McDowell was beside his car getting medical treatment,then Newman walks up and makes a gesture with his hand to his head,then seems to explain what happened.He just had a really pissed off expression [when doesn't he ?] on his face as though he was blaming McDowell.
McDowell was the innocent victim.
Lucky no marshalls were standing there considering the back wheels came off McDowells car and went through the fence.

Of all people to win except for Ambrose...... I'm actually quite happy that it was AJ, good to see how happy he was afterwards. Nice to see Childress and Roger Penske come up congratulate him. Nice for him after his last few years.

Edit: And to add to that JubJub. It absolutely disgusts me that they showed the accident on live TV. Are they actually that goddamn thick skulled to think that it's suitable to show such a horrific and disturbing accident? I know when I was young I'd be watching the V8Supercars telecast start to finish. I'm sure their would of been families with younger children that were watching in the states. They don't need to see footage of someone die right in front of them.

RIP Kevin Ward JR and deep deep condolences to family and friends for such a horrible accident.
Condolences as well to Tony. No one would want to deal with this and the guilt would be absolutely horrible to deal with. Especially if it was a true accident. Which I believe it is. Sadly, it's a dark coincidence that Tony has had past anger issues but I truly believe that killing the man were and never would be his intentions. Like it has been said, to steer that car away from the person would mean he would have to use the throttle.

Again. RIP Kevin Ward JR.

Last edited:
I tell ya. It doesn't appear Stewart actually killed him deliberately. But that death is a result of the stupid, moronic culture of American motorsport. Jumping out of the car like a knobhead, gesticulating at a car like a knobhead. Most of those dumbarses do it. What do they think it'll achieve? Do they want to contend for the title "Dumbest person on earth"? The car will always win. Yet these idiots don't seem to get that.

The relevant authorities should have a real good think about how everyone should conduct themselves at a track. But I suppose they'll be hesitant, since it might lessen the "entertainment" value.

Last edited:
I tell ya. It doesn't appear Stewart actually killed him deliberately. But that death is a result of the stupid, moronic culture of American motorsport. Jumping out of the car like a knobhead, gesticulating at a car like a knobhead. Most of those dumbarses do it.

Not just an American thing.Even the odd Aussie nutter has done it

BTW that race is on Speed tonight

J.J Yeley did the same to Trevor Bayne in the Nationwide race on the weekend

Not just an American thing.Even the odd Aussie nutter has done it

BTW that race is on Speed tonight

J.J Yeley did the same to Trevor Bayne in the Nationwide race on the weekend

I remember that. Cost Skaife the championship. Ahh I miss those v8 supercar days.

Anyway.. I can't believe people actually think Stewart intentionally hit him. I'm not a fan of the bloke but come on! There's a guy that has gotten out of his car and stood in the middle of the track. Totally ignoring the fact that Stewart didn't expect a bloke to be on the track, your vision while driving on the dirt isn't great as it is. Unfortunately from this a family has lost their son. Also Stewart has to deal with killing a person.

A bit off topic but I've never understood why NASCAR drivers bother with the lower leagues anyway.

A bit off topic but I've never understood why NASCAR drivers bother with the lower leagues anyway.

Well Ambrose did the Nationwide race on Saturday for practice for the Sprint Cup.Even though the cars are different it can help doing both races.Kyle & Brad K do it because it's their own teams in the Truck series.The Nationwide #54 use to be KBM but it's now back to JGR.
The other reason is if certain Nationwide cars don't have Sprint Cup drivers driver a lot of the races then they won't get enough sponsorship to run the entire season.Last year the #20 JGR Nationwide car was still looking for sponsorship mid-season to complete the season and they had to keep their top drivers in otherwise companies weren't willing to sponsor some young unknown driver.even this year they're only running a full season because Aussie Kenny Habul [drove his own #75 car in the Nationwide] is sponsoring them for about 4 races,2 of which he will drive the #20 [Road America earlier in the year,Mid-Ohio this week].

^^
the " SHRIEK AT THE CREEK " or " what happens to campaigners who try and run the Enforcer off the road "

My final thoughts on the Tony incident.

Yep , fatal error from Ward not waiting for the marshalls , could've gesticulated/remonstrated with Smoke once he was safely out of the car and the field recognised the safety vehicles still on track and slowed accordingly.

That said , i don't buy for a second that Tony didn't see him , he saw him standing there , thought " wtf does this campaigner think he is , I'M TONY STEWART DAMMIT , i'll give this pleb a scare......."

And in case anyone takes umbrage with my opinion , go back and research Tony's career , Petulant child

50/50 blame imo but dead men give no statements.

RIP Kevin Ward Jr

EDIT - why'd Dodgy get suspended lol ?

Last edited:
^^

That said , i don't buy for a second that Tony didn't see him , he saw him standing there , thought " wtf does this campaigner think he is , I'M TONY STEWART DAMMIT , i'll give this pleb a scare......."

This isn't uncommon in dirt track racing though mate, when a guy gets out of his car an confronts someone like that it isn't uncommon for him to get roosted by a bit of mud for his troubles.
I've seen it many times in my trips to the speedway.

I'll counter your comment of "I'M TONY STEWART DAMMIT".....
The incident that happened on track was absolutely nothing, i would bet good money that if it was anyone other then Smoke involved the kid would have stayed in his car and get on with business as usual.
Remember Smoke was invovled in a crash at the same track last year that seen a girl injured (ironically a close family friend to the Wards from all reports). IMO this kids thought process may have possibly been "the prick again, i'll tell him" or even worse "thats Tony Stewart, i'll tell him and make a name for myself"....

This isn't uncommon in dirt track racing though mate, when a guy gets out of his car an confronts someone like that it isn't uncommon for him to get roosted by a bit of mud for his troubles.
I've seen it many times in my trips to the speedway.

100% agree , seen it a million times.
Never seen a guy actually get hit that way though.......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back