Game Day 2014 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple your statement with the fact that talls can take a few years to get going and I just feel we could have used 1 or 2 more. We'll see in the rookie draft though, maybe it's a strategy to get them cheap as rookies and see how their development goes.

Still glad we got Weller since we desperately need a bit more speed and skill in the middle, maybe even more than we need talls.

The talls we need for when McP/Jonno move on are 21-24 right now, not 18 though - going trade, free agency, mature agers and rookie selections is still the better policy for list balance

Yeah bit disappointed we didn't get Lever, but Weller will be part of a rolls royce midfield in years to come

Guys talls always take a few years to develop. People always talk about Hawkins taking a few years in the system. Apeness last year did a few good things when he played but was built like a beanstalk. Even so, do you remember him taking out 2 players at the same time in Darwin.

Plus I have seen pictures of Tabs training and he has put on some bulk. I think we should be quite excited about Apeness and tabs in the same forward line soon.

Guys talls always take a few years to develop. People always talk about Hawkins taking a few years in the system. Apeness last year did a few good things when he played but was built like a beanstalk. Even so, do you remember him taking out 2 players at the same time in Darwin.

Plus I have seen pictures of Tabs training and he has put on some bulk. I think we should be quite excited about Apeness and tabs in the same forward line soon.

If Apeness is a bean stalk, Moller is a human spider web.

Based off bigfooty:

One of Lever's strength was his ACL dependent movement - that isn't a guarantee anymore.
Durdin hasn't got one specific position, is extremely lightly framed and reminds of Justin Westoff in that tall enough to be key position, plays best in the ruck but will never be able to do it at AFL level.
Goddard is so highly rated and desired that he went pick #21...

Meanwhile Weller is rated by some as the best mid in the div 2 draftable group, he didn't test at the combine so direct comparisons aren't going to be possible.

---

Personally I think we needed speed and ball use added to the team, we have lots of running contested ball winners but the polish isn't there. Crozier had an instant impact with speed and creative ball use against Hawthorn, it stood out that we didn't have that previously.

The players we took have played against men already, they aren't being based off U-18s form entirely where the big bodied boys can push aside their less developed competition.

Durdin hasn't got one specific position, is extremely lightly framed and reminds of Justin Westoff in that tall enough to be key position, plays best in the ruck but will never be able to do it at AFL level.

He only played ruck in the U18 because they had nobody better to play in the ruck. He says he doesn't mind pinch hitting in the ruck but at 198cm he isn't going to be an AFL standard ruckman and sees himself as a KPP either forward or back, likens himself to Carlisle or Westhoff type who have versatility at either end of the ground.

I like our picks frankly.

We needed class and closing speed, and we got it. A team that plays an all-over-the-ground defense and wants to spread the scoring load more evenly doesn't need another crop of talls - they need a bunch of quick, skillfull long-distance runners who can kick goals and find other payers on the burst or in congestion.

Yes we lose out on some very gifted talls in this draft, but we also need quality mids who can free up Fyfe to drift forward more, and in these picks I reckon we've got that. Get two or three of new these guys on the field along with Duffy, Croz and Morra and there's speed and X factor galore! Bondy said the coaches were backing in our current list of young talls, and they drafted accordingly.

I understand the need for tall options given our aging KPPs, but looking at the way our younger KPPS are starting to stack on muscle (Tabs, hannath, Apeness - even A Pearce and Moller are looking beefier this year) then myself I think the future's looking rosier than ever.

I like our picks frankly.

We needed class and closing speed, and we got it. A team that plays an all-over-the-ground defense and wants to spread the scoring load more evenly doesn't need another crop of talls - they need a bunch of quick, skillfull long-distance runners who can kick goals and find other payers on the burst or in congestion.

Yes we lose out on some very gifted talls in this draft, but we also need quality mids who can free up Fyfe to drift forward more, and in these picks I reckon we've got that. Get two or three of new these guys on the field along with Duffy, Croz and Morra and there's speed and X factor galore! Bondy said the coaches were backing in our current list of young talls, and they drafted accordingly.

I understand the need for tall options given our aging KPPs, but looking at the way our younger KPPS are starting to stack on muscle (Tabs, hannath, Apeness - even A Pearce and Moller are looking beefier this year) then myself I think the future's looking rosier than ever.

Good sentiment but I wouldn't put too many eggs in the Hannath or Moller basket.

Ok everyone. Put down the sharp implements. This makes sense. We are setting ourselves for a charge in a few years. We have stockpiled talls (which historically have about 4-5 years in the system until they are ready (Apeness, Taberner, Moller, Hannath, Clarke, Pearce, Smith, Vandeluer, Silvagni, even Fyfe).

Now we are topping up on quality mids/flankers, which historically are ready to go in a couple of years.

In 2 years time, when we have Tabs/Apeness up forward, Clarke in the Ruck, Silvagni/Smith/Pearce down back being supported by a midfield of Fyfe/Barlow/Weller/Hill/Blakeley we will be in a good spot.

That midfield could be scarily good in a couple of years. Weller is an amazing get, his highlight reel reminds me a bit of Wingard, but with more inside game. Blakeley looks like another inside mid who can kick goals (seems to play a bit like Barlow).

Make no mistake, we will look back at this draft in 5 years and giggle maniacally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Fyfe playing as a forward actually realistic? He is a dominating force for us in the midfield, and is a genuine weapon. Stacking up on midfielders may theoretically free him up to be a marking beast in the forward line, and I am sure he can play there, but is that going to be anything more than a shock tactic for us? I have my doubts.

Interesting to see on the main boards a lot of people had us in the top 5 efforts in the draft

Of course Melbourne were No 1, but that's easy when you have a glut of top picks

Is Fyfe playing as a forward actually realistic? He is a dominating force for us in the midfield, and is a genuine weapon. Stacking up on midfielders may theoretically free him up to be a marking beast in the forward line, and I am sure he can play there, but is that going to be anything more than a shock tactic for us? I have my doubts.
Put it another way play Mundy down back, remove Crowley, add Crozier, Sherro, Weller, etc and the midfield has a new dynamic. Playing four genuine midfielders, two above 186cm, two just below, who do you tag?
You could even use Sutcliffe as a tagger who wins his own ball.

Realistically the only two picks at which good talls were available were the first and second picks. By all reports we picked up 2 guns with those picks. I would be annoyed if we reached for a skinny flanker with either of those picks but you can't really argue with picking up 2 gun midfielders

Good sentiment but I wouldn't put too many eggs in the Hannath or Moller basket.

I understand your concerns abut Hannath and Moller - I concede both of them have yet to perform to their perceived potential.

Hannath however to my eye has all the makings of a fine ruckman, who wants only for time. I still think he's the best field kick of all our rucks, with the possible exception of Zac. As for Moller, he doesn't seem to have much of a tank, granted - but he is still 205cm, had a prodigious leap and is surprisingly athletic. He may never be an A-grade ruckman, but his height, leap and athleticism might make him a very good forward once he puts on more weight - and according to Coulda, the coaches say he's put on 8kg of muscle over the off-season. Freo went out and actively pursued Craig when he was just 14 - given our selector's talent for spotting potentially-gifted fringe players, I'm willing to believe that Moller will be worth all the effort.

(In all fairness, IIRC the first years of Sandy's career were a tad underwhelming too - but look how he turned out. :) )

Last edited:
Had read a few phantoms etc before the draft and it really seemed like you guys threw the biggest spanner in the works.

The draft order went apeshit after you guys.

Interesting observation. Having our competitors suddenly rethink their plans and second-guess themselves at the last minute? No offence intended but that sounds like a great outcome to me...

6 Defenders, 6 Mids, 6 Forwards is a thing of the past.

I Reckon 4 -10 - 4 is where it's heading. Gut running classy mids with a few extra talls either end.

I agree. We've already seen how the "high half forward" has become such an important position, players like Parker for the Swans and Robbie Grey for the Power are often the most damaging players on the ground. By pushing more midfielders into the forward and back half, you make a more dynamic and versatile team. Lots of rotations between the positions should also make it harder for opposition match ups.

:rolleyes:

I agree. We've already seen how the "high half forward" has become such an important position, players like Parker for the Swans and Robbie Grey for the Power are often the most damaging players on the ground. By pushing more midfielders into the forward and back half, you make a more dynamic and versatile team. Lots of rotations between the positions should also make it harder for opposition match ups.

Watch the AwFL come up with some stupid rules about players having to stay in their actual positions on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back