Game Day 2014 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if our recruiters have some crazy research that shows recruits will try harder if they develop with competition around them. We seem to draft a lot of the same type lately in one go.

Blakely was a steal.

I wonder if our recruiters have some crazy research that shows recruits will try harder if they develop with competition around them. We seem to draft a lot of the same type lately in one go.

Blakely was a steal.
And also groups of guys from the same area......Neale,Sutcliffe......Grey,Pearce,Weller

Apeness last year did a few good things when he played but was built like a beanstalk. Even so, do you remember him taking out 2 players at the same time in Darwin.

You must be talking about a rather hulking beanstalk. Apeness is not skinny.

but it hasn't left us sitting down the bottom of the ladder either. As the commentators on afl.com.au have said, he seems to suit our style of play
But it hasn't left us with a flag, either.

And I don't know about you, but finishing third for seven years isn't my idea of a good success rate. Give me ups and downs but a flag any day.

Arsenal in the EPL have done bupkis for about ten years now. Their coach goes on about top four every season being "an award in its own." Which it isn't. And now people have realised that, with a talented bunch of players and limp spuds getting games, that it's not acceptable – people want the coach to go. And that's the way it should be.

People are very, very content to let the club be very, very content with high finishes but no reward. * that.

Apeness and Crozier look OK for late first rounders
You don't want OK for first rounders. You want immediate impact or 200 gamers or someone who can come in and fill a vital role. None of them do that. Croz played really well, with vigour and energy, against the Cats. I hope he keeps up that intensity because it was a joy to see a young bloke, especially from Melbourne, so intent and team-oriented. But I have my qualms over how valuable they both are considering the opportunity cost.

Bit of a surprise for sure. But on the other hand a player with immediate impact (which highly unlikely would have been a tall) is a better choice at the moment. For one last shot with Pav, McPharlin, Sandi. When not thinking to long onto the future we have decent backline depth with Silvagni and Ibbotson as tall. Taberner could be close to a certain starter with another preseason of improvement and Apeness showed promise as well. Wait and see...

Someone mentioned PEEL! Good thinking. I'd like to see a rough best 22 and look what's left over for Peel. You'd think it would look pretty good. Competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't want OK for first rounders. You want immediate impact or 200 gamers or someone who can come in and fill a vital role. None of them do that. Croz played really well, with vigour and energy, against the Cats. I hope he keeps up that intensity because it was a joy to see a young bloke, especially from Melbourne, so intent and team-oriented. But I have my qualms over how valuable they both are considering the opportunity cost.

So unrealistic. It's been said by another that it took Sandi time to develop. Mundy took time to build a tank. Fyfe took time to muscle up. Rhys Palmer had immediate impact by winning the Rising Star and then plateaus. At best, the guns show signs but they do not sustain it early in their careers especially if they're talls that have to fill out or mids that need a preseason or two under their belts to build endurance.

What did Boyd (Pick 1) achieve last year? 9 games only in a bottom side. Josh Kelly and Jack Billings played more games, showed great potential but didn't tear it up. Bontompelli similarly looks like a future jet, but he would be in and out of our side right now like Hilly was early on. If these guys are not instant hits playing for the lower clubs, how on earth would they have immediate impact in our Best 22 let alone Apeness and Crozier who were lower picks.

What opportunity cost? What did we miss out on?

He really doesn't get involved in the recruiting side of things, does he.

Of course he gets involved. He is on the List Committee formally and as the Head Coach, he'd have major input. Someone mentioned down at training today that he had an ear operation yesterday so that would explain his absence from the Draft.

But it hasn't left us with a flag, either.

And I don't know about you, but finishing third for seven years isn't my idea of a good success rate. Give me ups and downs but a flag any day.

Arsenal in the EPL have done bupkis for about ten years now. Their coach goes on about top four every season being "an award in its own." Which it isn't. And now people have realised that, with a talented bunch of players and limp spuds getting games, that it's not acceptable – people want the coach to go. And that's the way it should be.

People are very, very content to let the club be very, very content with high finishes but no reward. **** that.
That's a real numpty comment comparing it to the EPL 'top four'. If you actually knew anything about the EPL you'd know that finishing in the top four means you play Champions League and that brings in the $$. The EPL is not about winning the league title.
Hawthorn don't have ups and downs and neither do Sydney or Geelong. Just maybe that's what we are trying to establish.

6 Defenders, 6 Mids, 6 Forwards is a thing of the past.

I Reckon 4 -10 - 4 is where it's heading. Gut running classy mids with a few extra talls either end.

We more or less play 6 defenders. Our defence versus our forwards has always looked like an odd match-up to me.

Walters/Duffield Mayne/MacPharlin de Boer/Ibbotson (Sutcliffe)

Clarke/MJ Pavlich/Dawson Ballantyne/Spurr

Also, the shape of that forward line would change significantly during a game, but the defence wouldn't. Fyfe might roll back there, Clarke may or may not be there. Walters and Ballantyne slip midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back