Game Day 2014 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I like about this Draft is once Mundy and Barlow retire or if Mundy spends more time at hbf in the twilight of his career Freo will have a number of good mids coming through.

Both Weller and Blakely could be the next Mundy and Barlow type players in 4 years. It will take time but the recruitment staff couldn't go past them.

I would have been stoked with Lever or Durdin but Appness has a couple more years to improve before Pav retires and Silvagni is a good backup for Dawson, McPharlin and Johnson if injured. By the time Johnson retires A. Pearce and Tanner will have developed their game.

It's far from doom and gloom as some are making out.

Last edited:
What I like about this Draft is once Mundy and Barlow retire or if Mundy spends more time at hbf in the twilight of his career Freo will have a number of good mids coming through.

Both Weller and Blakely could be the next Mundy and Barlow type players in 4 years. It will take time but the recruitment staff couldn't go past them.

I would have been stoked with Lever or Durdin but Appness has a couple more years to improve before Pav retires and Silvagni is a good backup for Dawson, McPharlin and Johnson if injured. By the time Johnson retires A. Pearce and Tanner will have developed their game.

Yeah nah * ya.

Seriously good post though, I love the idea of Mundy returning to the back line when his replacement/s are good enough. Hadn't really thought about it before but it makes sense.

brayshaw-draft-620x370x.jpg

Angus Brayshaw reacts to be picked by the Demons with the No.3 selection. (Picture: AFL Media)

Ok so i finally watched Liam Duggan's highlight? package.

How on earth did he get picked in the first round?

I question marked the highlight part because i thought it strange that it didn't include any highlights.

Average speed, loopy handballs and about 60% of his kicks in his 'highlight' package went either to no one or straight to the opposition. Not to mention the out on the full shot on goal being included in his 'highlight' package.

No point comparing him to Weller because it's not even a contest, heck Blakely has him easily covered.

But the Eagles aren't worried, apparantly he's a stand up guy.

Good work Fred. I didnt know about that. Suddenly I'm more positive about the chances of Mcpharlin playing an important role in 2015. Im surprised at the negativity in this thread. BTW: With the recruitment of mids I think it is more than likely that we will use Fyfe as a permanent forward who starts in the centre square at the centre bounce and then plays as a genuine key forward in general play in the post Pav years. I thought his role changed a tad in the last four or five games in 2014 in that he was effectively spending most of his time as a forward player in general play. Im not worried about our forward line in a few years time or our midfield, as much as what our defensive group will look like in three years time.

Your choice of words confuses me a bit here. I agree that Fyfe's role late in the 2014 season worked well. He's the best centre square player in the comp and we need him there, but he did seem to be spending lot of time forward and our forward line was better for it.

I'm not sure we'll ever see him play as a "genuine key forward" though. He's just too valuable in the middle. More valuable than he would be forward, IMO. And you can't play both roles at once.

Fyfe could play the Pav role from a few years back. Play as CHF type player who is a great mark and would take one of the oppositions best defenders and get thrown into the middle when we are getting beaten in clearances and need him to lift the team and get us going.

We have some good mids capable of getting the ball out and into the forward line. Having Fyfe at the first drop of the ball would make the team look very dangerous going forward in my opinion.

A midfielder of any size,shape and constitution who can get forward and shake some goals out of the tree is immensely valuable. They have the capacity to disturb the opposition because there is a random factor about that style of play. That is the role Fyfe can really work on for us.

We also have the capacity to create some forward mismatches with him occasionally starting forward, and I am all for it. Given we are already a bit unorthodox in the forward line we should have multiple targets up there. Realistically I am quite happy for Pavlich to become a decoy at times given that we have goal-scoring power in some of the smaller players. If we can get players such as Walters, Ballantyne and Fyfe one on one they can be very dangerous. Even Mayne.

I find it interesting that there are increasing calls for Fyfe to go forward. It's like it's "Groundhog Docker Day". Reminds me of the Pav into the midfield calls of yesteryear. First things first. Let's agree on the name for the move. The "Reverse-Pav" is set to become the "Reverse-Fyfe". Then, with that out of the way, do we learn from the past? Seriously, is there anyone else that thinks we'd be making the same mistake we made with Pav back then in shifting Fyfe, who is the best clearance mid in the game, up forward to try and plug a perceived hole?

We all remember that loss to the Evils in 2012 - RTB gave a commitment that he needed to build a midfield (article below). Within the year, the experts were heralding our big bodied mids and that they were the new norm. How things can change very quickly when you're making the right calls.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...368979750?nk=ae409b1cc86ba52531954dc931ba77f2

I do not expect to see Fyfe as a key forward any time soon. The plan is that Fyfe will be feeding the likes of Taberner and Apeness in 2015 and I look forward to a similar quick payback out of these developing KP players as RTB had with the midfield back in 2012/13.

Haha, the reverse-Pav. Love it.

There are some differences however. Getting a KPP to have the capacity to play midfield is a major body-shape issue. Whereas a big mid does not have to become a CHF or FF to have an impact as a forward. Plus in an era of interchange rules, keeping your best players out on the park is important.

Haha, the reverse-Pav. Love it.

There are some differences however. Getting a KPP to have the capacity to play midfield is a major body-shape issue. Whereas a big mid does not have to become a CHF or FF to have an impact as a forward. Plus in an era of interchange rules, keeping your best players out on the park is important.

No problems with Fyfe resting forward and we already do that. But any calls for a permanent shift to CHF for example is not going to happen for one under the present regime but if it did, it would not help the team overall as Pav going into the midfield did not back then. It papered over the core issue which was to sort out the midfield.

I can't see Rance heading back west unless it was on an absolutely monster deal. And I'm not sure that I personally (personally mind you) think it would be worth it. I think Rance is over rated.

And besides, the rules would change for him once he was wearing purple anyway. He'd get pinged for holding every single time the ball went into the opposition 50. While he's wearing a Richmond jumper he can get away with it. Sort of like the reverse-Buddy while we're talking reversals...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see Rance heading back west unless it was on an absolutely monster deal. And I'm not sure that I personally (personally mind you) think it would be worth it. I think Rance is over rated.

And besides, the rules would change for him once he was wearing purple anyway. He'd get pinged for holding every single time the ball went into the opposition 50. While he's wearing a Richmond jumper he can get away with it. Sort of like the reverse-Buddy while we're talking reversals...
He hasn't exactly had the most pleasant time over there. The stalker story is quite disconcerting.

There's where I part company from you. I'm not sure Pav has a couple more years left.

Agree 100% that we are fine for KPDs like you describe. I desperately want a project KPF in the rookie draft, because that's where my concern lies.

There's not just one area Freo need to improve in – it's most. It's the reliance on an absolutely cooked Luke McPharlin, the inability to let Silvagni get his confidence up and play more than five games in a row... it's guys like Danyle Pearce, brought over for experience and speed, going missing in huge finals and butchering kicks with hot-heads and dumb decisions. It's the way the midfield is too susceptible to inconsistency. And then there's the forward line... making the sub-6-foot Sonny and Ballas the most important players, with Son Son having to try and crash packs... it's Pav, a man who has spent his entire career as the lynchpin, at age 33 having to do all the work – and, when he can't get off two defenders or rightfully doesn't have the speed, leaves the forward line limp and insipid. And it's having Matt Taberner as the great white forward line hope. It's not speed. It's not just one key defender. It's not a big forward. It's everything. If the club actually drafted well in the last few years, we'd wouldn't be in this chasm where, in two drafts, we're having to address about five urgent needs. Hase was right by the way. Smart is the hero you guys should be worshipping, not "Bondy."

It's not like the team improved on 2013 at all though. The best game was round 1. We looked cut-throat, absolutely awesome in that, but the wheel's got wobbly and spun off. The side was shown to have flimsy depth and that the second tier players simply couldn't elevate their game enough. In the end, we were probably lucky to sneak into the four (but luck's only acknowledgeable when it's against Fremantle...) and were promptly shown up. We were completely gutless in that Swans game... I've never seen a capable team so indifferent to potential success. And then we were cooked by a Port side who had hunger, venom, and more of the 'Any Team, Anywhere, Anytime' 'play your role' mentality than Ross Lyon's own side. So the side regressed in 2014 in anyone's terms. Couple that with another year in the wrong direction for Pav, Sandi, Luke, and Mundy – four of our five, six most important players. Not to mention the Hawks looking no worse and picking up a serviceable defender in Frawley. And they'll probably be able to turn O'Rourke into a solid part of their 22 as well. Plus you have Sydney who might go okay. They're certainly at Freo's level at the absolute least. Even if Tippett's the worst buy in the last 10 years and Goodes is a seagull. Then there's Port. I'll chuck a coupla hunge on them being better than Fremantle next season.

I hope you are feeling better today. It helped this guy get it out of his system too buddy....

Last edited:
Ok so i finally watched Liam Duggan's highlight? package.

How on earth did he get picked in the first round?

I question marked the highlight part because i thought it strange that it didn't include any highlights.

Average speed, loopy handballs and about 60% of his kicks in his 'highlight' package went either to no one or straight to the opposition. Not to mention the out on the full shot on goal being included in his 'highlight' package.

No point comparing him to Weller because it's not even a contest, heck Blakely has him easily covered.

But the Eagles aren't worried, apparantly he's a stand up guy.
He got picked up first round since he has the biggest potential to turn into a hipster out of all the top prospects.

You're joking right? Smart had probably three good drafts in 1999, 2008 & 2009. During his 15 years we made one prelim and the finals three times. Sounds like a gun recruiter to me.
How many of those drafts where he missed were the bulk of the picks traded away?

The club's recent successful period is still living off the back of those drafts, BTW.

A+ drafting each pick was a bargain.

Might be a surprise or two coming KPD wise. Those in the media in Melbourne think freo are heavily into Alex rance. In a big big way

A similar thing gets said about us every year though :p.

There's where I part company from you. I'm not sure Pav has a couple more years left.

Agree 100% that we are fine for KPDs like you describe. I desperately want a project KPF in the rookie draft, because that's where my concern lies.

Pav comment was an estimation. How many years do you think he will play on. 1 - 4. It's beside the point.

Anyone else wishing we had looked at picking up a speedy back pocket? I miss roger Hayden so so much, and spurr tries hard, but we just seem to lack that creativity, and ability to completely stop those small forwards..... Thanks god we have the two best small forwards I the Comp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back