NFL 2014 NFL - Week 16

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Sunday morning football for the win!

This late in the season - this late in the work year - the 5am starts are more and more difficult, and being able to take days off for 8.25 or 12.30 games becomes more and more impossible.

A Sunday game is clearly the NFL's Christmas present to me :D

royals1922

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts RIP
Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rotor Volgograd, The Exers
That drops my esteem of him greatly. I never knew that stat about him. It changes my mind on him.
Should that number affect his mvp standings. I would like however to see those numbers with respect to Favre, etc before drawing too many conclusions.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Should that number affect his mvp standings. I would like however to see those numbers with respect to Favre, etc before drawing too many conclusions.
Old study, but worth a read.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3895721-most-4th-quarter-comebacks-in-nfl-history/

QB| Reported| Actual
\John Elway| 47| 34
\Brett Favre| 42| 27
\Dan Marino| 37| 36
\Peyton Manning| 37| 28
\Drew Bledsoe| 32| 24
\Joe Montana| 31| 31
\Johnny Unitas| 31| 34
\Tom Brady| 28| 20
\Roger Staubach| 23| 15
\Ben Roethlisberger| 19| 15
\Chad Pennington| 7| 7
\Jay Cutler| 7| 5

royals1922

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts RIP
Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
To be worse than Pennington....

That said I always like to test the numbers, ie who has Luck came back against , what is the ratio of success of a team coming back from a 10 point deficit at the start of the fourth quarter etc.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3895721-most-4th-quarter-comebacks-in-nfl-history/

QB| Reported| Actual
\John Elway| 47| 34
\Brett Favre| 42| 27
\Dan Marino| 37| 36
\Peyton Manning| 37| 28
\Drew Bledsoe| 32| 24
\Joe Montana| 31| 31
\Johnny Unitas| 31| 34
\Tom Brady| 28| 20
\Roger Staubach| 23| 15
\Chad Pennington| 7| 7
\Jay Cutler| 7| 5
Tim Tebow has 6 4th Quarter comebacks in only 16 career starts (post season inc.)

image.png

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

QB| Reported| Actual
\John Elway| 47| 34
\Brett Favre| 42| 27
\Dan Marino| 37| 36
\Peyton Manning| 37| 28
\Drew Bledsoe| 32| 24
\Joe Montana| 31| 31
\Johnny Unitas| 31| 34
\Tom Brady| 28| 20
\Roger Staubach| 23| 15
\Chad Pennington| 7| 7
\Jay Cutler| 7| 5
A more accurate list???

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

royals1922

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts RIP
Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
So is this a legitimate question, who is more important to the greenbay offence, Rodgers or nelson
When I say enjoyed I mean ENJOYED :eek:
I post on the bay a lot. We have memes for that

Schaub was beyond terrible last season and the QBs that replaced him weren't much better. Plus Arian Foster wasn't healthy for much of last year. Couple in DeAndre Hopkins' development as a wide receiver and I think some might be overrating Bill O'Brien's body of work so far this season. IMO, much of the Texans' bounce-back can be traced to a "regression back to the mean" situation at key spots.

Here are the players the Texans drafted at the most recent draft:

Code:
Rnd Player              Position
---------------------------------
  1 Jadeveon Clowney    DE/OLB
  2 Xavier Su'a-Filo    OG
  3 C.J. Fiedorowicz    TE
  3 Louis Nix           DT
  4 Tom Savage          QB
  6 Jeoffrey Pagan      DE
  6 Alfred Blue         RB
  6 Jay Prosch          FB
  7 Andre Hal           CB
  7 Lonnie Ballentine   FS

Clowney has been underwhelming so far and added little before ending the season injured. Louis Nix was placed on IR in September. The Texans' offence places almost no value on TEs except for their blocking ability, so Fiedorowicz hasn't done much except block. Savage hugged the bench until he came in cold against the Colts and the results were predictable. Blue has been a decent back-up running back and showed that he could mix it with the big boys when Foster sat out a few games through injury. Prosch hasn't yet had a carry and has had 1 reception (for 24 yards, admittedly). Presumably he does a lot of work blocking for Foster, though, which makes him valuable. It's never easy for a rookie CB to adjust to the higher demands of the NFL and Hal is been no exception. Ballentine was placed on IR in pre-season.

Have a look at the 2013 draft, apart from Hopkins most players have been cut, many before this season started. Too early to rate '14 draft but it's not looking too bright. Gee Khalil Mack looks good. Yeah Fiedorowicz and Prosch are blockers but haven't even done that well.

DBs have been hot and cold, LBs either too slow or not big enough. Makes Watt's perfomance even more amazing considering the lack of talent around him.
Lot of problems. Hopefully guys like Su'a-filo and Nix stand up next season. Oh and a decent QB would be nice.

BomberWatson

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
To be worse than Pennington....

That said I always like to test the numbers, ie who has Luck came back against , what is the ratio of success of a team coming back from a 10 point deficit at the start of the fourth quarter etc.
- vs Green Bay (trailed by 18 in 3rd quarter)
- @ Detroit (trailed by 12 in 4th quarter)
- vs Tennessee (trailed by 13 in 3rd quarter)

- @ Houston (trailed by 18 in 3rd quarter)
- @ Tennessee (trailed by 11 in 3rd quarter)
- vs Kansas City (trailed by 28 in 3rd quarter (Playoff Game))

- @ Cleveland (trailed by 14 in 3rd quarter)

royals1922

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts RIP
Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
- vs Green Bay (trailed by 18 in 3rd quarter)
- @ Detroit (trailed by 12 in 4th quarter)
- vs Tennessee (trailed by 13 in 3rd quarter)

- @ Houston (trailed by 18 in 3rd quarter)
- @ Tennessee (trailed by 11 in 3rd quarter)
- vs Kansas City (trailed by 28 in 3rd quarter (Playoff Game))

- @ Cleveland (trailed by 14 in 3rd quarter)
I was not doubting you, I just wanted to know who it was against. KC, no wonder Bowe hasn't scored a td since

royals1922

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts RIP
Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
It was more a case of just providing info than me trying to prove a point (half of those games were against s**t teams anyway), didn't mean it in that fashion.
I suspect more than a few games where there is a comeback happen against cannon fodder teams

Nuke Fremantle

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2007
Dullsville
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
The sport is starting to grow on me, though I wouldn't yet call myself a convert. One point I wanted to make, I'm sure it's been made ages ago but there is something seriously wrong with the scheduling when the NFC South has all 4 teams under .500 and the AFC North has all teams at .500 or better. New Orleans to possibly win their division and Cleveland probably doesn't even make the playoffs? Weird.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Stayed up to watch the Texans v Colts game last week.

Time's around 4.30 am - i'm sitting there, nervously watching a battered Arian Foster scrape together the yards.
My fantasy team is on a 9 win streak. Won the minor premiership by 2 wins, completely uncontested. Andrew Luck, Arian Foster, Jamaal Charles, Calvin Johnson, Josh Gordon, Jimmy Graham, Stephen Gostkowski, C.J Anderson and the Bills D have carried me to about 6 straight weeks of plus 100 scores. I'm feeling confident, versing 4th place who only scraped into the finals on percentage with 7 wins to my 12.
It's 4.30 and i'm getting nervous. Luck is having a poor game, Charles seems to be injured or something with Davis racking up the points and CHarles stuck on 56 rushing yards. The Bills and Gostkowski are putting on the points but I need some points from Foster or i'll struggle.

The time is 4.45 - Texans have the ball around 20 ft shy of the goal line. Foster breaks out to the left, makes it past the line and streaks in for a touch down. Its almost 5 am but i jump up and fist pump the air, we're going to the superbowl, that's what I needed, make it 10 in a row, let's march onto 11. That 8 point play woudl catapault Foster to 17 or so points and put me in a might fine position with only a few players left to play. After i return to the couch from my elated celebration I see the referee marching onto screen

"Flag on the play, number xx Offence, holding, 10 yard penalty, repeat 3rd down"

My whole season came crumbling down.

It didnt help that Dez Bryant decided to go out and catch 3 TD"s or that Megatron and Gordon decided they didn't want to catch the ball this week.

I was watching the Saints game on Tuesday Mornign with Jimmy having to beat Matt Forte by 4 points. Forte was having an average game but Jimmy wasn't doing a lot either. Forte had slightly extended the lead but when Brees threw to Jimmy in the end zone I was ready to take the lead back and scrape through to the super bowl... but Jimmy dropped it.

I went on to lose by 4 points.

Season over, playing for third.

* this game.

And it's so long till next season. Who's idea was it to have 17 week seasons?

At least the Giants are in playoff contention... oh wait...

Back