2014 NHL off-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick question on NHL Gamecenter, purchasing it outside of America there shouldn't be any restrictions on what games you can watch?

It differentiates between out of market and in market games, but I'm guessing that is within the States, so if you're in Pittsburgh you can't watch Pittsburgh games that are televised (assume all of them) for 48 hours.

Injury list update:

David Booth, he now plays for the Leafs, a broken foot (4-6 weeks).

David Clarkson, apparently he also plays for the Leafs, a broken ego (TBD - thought to be season ending).

BtHEOakCMAAFNR1.png

Just saw these on reddit. Will never happen as a 3rd but * me they are beautiful.

Stars sign Dillon to a one-year, $1.25mil contract. Great deal. He will get a nice contract after this season, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey all,

I don't know if this is the right place, but I didn't think it was worth starting my own thread so sorry if it's wrong. I've seen some hockey on Foxtel and it looks pretty cool, but I don't really understand exactly what's going on eg the icing rule. I want to find a team to "root" for and learn some player names on the way.

Does anyone know of a good database or website with any of this stuff? Which team should I support?

Cheers :)

jump on board the dallas stars or new york islanders train. islanders have a cool history and are a young team (finally) on the up while dallas has Jamie Benn. Tampa Bay could also be considered, but then you'd be supporting a Florida team.....

Time zones may also factor into your choice (an eastern conference team will, mostly, play their home games at around 10 or 11am for most of the season, while a western conference team will play 1pm-2pm.)

the easiest way to figure out the most basic stuff is to probably play NHL 14/15. you can read the basic stuff but if you're not experiencing it often enough it'll take awhile to get it. And you probably won't get to watch enough games to figure it out quickly.

Hey all,

I don't know if this is the right place, but I didn't think it was worth starting my own thread so sorry if it's wrong. I've seen some hockey on Foxtel and it looks pretty cool, but I don't really understand exactly what's going on eg the icing rule. I want to find a team to "root" for and learn some player names on the way.

Does anyone know of a good database or website with any of this stuff? Which team should I support?

Cheers :)
ck
Icing rule has changed recently. Its a 'hybrid' rule where icing is called as soon as a skater from the defending team crosses the faceoff dot (after the puck has crossed the goal line), of course the puck has to be shot from outside halfway to qualify

That's an early and bold prediction on Jared McCann...
centrepiece of the trade being pick 24 will always hurt the trade's reputation for me, regardless of how good McCann turns out to be. It's mind boggling that we're couldn't get even a prospect from the Ducks. For me the big mistake was not keeping half of Kesler's salary. I can tolerate a poor return if we've tried all our options, but to not keep any salary and end up with Luca Sbisa instead of a prospect is pretty annoying. You'd have to think if we keep half of his salary, we get a better return, probably not to the point we walk away with pick 10, but at least a prospect as well as 24. so why not do it? So we could sign league average goaltender Ryan Miller to a 6 million contract? Totally unsatisfying

Jeff Skinner suffers what is most likely yet another concussion. Carolina should be verrrry good money to finish 30th this season.

Jeff Skinner suffers what is most likely yet another concussion. Carolina should be verrrry good money to finish 30th this season.
Semin was wearing the A against the Caps today too, hahaaaa

centrepiece of the trade being pick 24 will always hurt the trade's reputation for me, regardless of how good McCann turns out to be. It's mind boggling that we're couldn't get even a prospect from the Ducks.

Kesler's no-trade clause let's him pick where he wants to go thus little or no leverage for Benning. Bob Murray isn't going to give away anything he wants to keep when he knows the Canucks aren't fielding offers from any other team.

For me the big mistake was not keeping half of Kesler's salary. I can tolerate a poor return if we've tried all our options, but to not keep any salary and end up with Luca Sbisa instead of a prospect is pretty annoying. You'd have to think if we keep half of his salary, we get a better return, probably not to the point we walk away with pick 10, but at least a prospect as well as 24. so why not do it? So we could sign league average goaltender Ryan Miller to a 6 million contract? Totally unsatisfying

The Ducks have lots of cap space, they're not worried about Kesler's $5M/year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back