2014 non Freo games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borry

Protected Species
Aug 15, 2004
You never never know if you never never go.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Sydney
Special mention to the Doggies getting over the Demetriou Golden Boys today. Especially after losing Morris so early.

Really like what McCartney is doing there and his gameplan.:thumbsu:

A huge thumbs-up to the AFL attracting a whole 7,000+ crowd for the game.

Those multi-millions of dollars, and screwing with the entire competition on a personal whim is going swimmingly.
Against the GWSNBC Giants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Reems

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
State side in that we were setup to try and draw support from the entire state hence the name west coast rather than a specific geographical area. As a start up club with no existing support base is made sense to promote ourselves as a wa team. That's different to saying we were a full strength state side which has been my point. Foolishly I thought I could change people's minds on that in here so time to let that rest

As for naitanui I don't know what's going on other than to say its a concern as on performance so far this year he shouldn't be in the side. I suspect it's a combination of injury and lack of fitness but playing him as is isn't working

So let me get this straight, a side that was built by selecting the 6 best players from all 8 WAFL clubs over a 2 year exclusive access period, and without using a single draft pick to do so is not a state side?

Riiiiiiiiight.....

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
So let me get this straight, a side that was built by selecting the 6 best players from all 8 WAFL clubs over a 2 year exclusive access period, and without using a single draft pick to do so is not a state side?

Riiiiiiiiight.....
You guys had concessions too. Not our fault you blew them all, though.

You could have had Andrew McLeod!

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
West Coast's were more generous. Imagine having the pick of the best WA players for four years running after entry to the league?

No doubt however that Neesham would have blown such concessions had they been given to Fremantle.

West Coast's were more generous. Imagine having the pick of the best WA players for four years running after entry to the league?

No doubt however that Neesham would have blown such concessions had they been given to Fremantle.

It's hard to compare concessions for each of the expansion clubs because there were some quite substantial differences in those concessions and the way the wider league was operating at the time

On balance though I think it's fair to say that the conditions given to Fremantle were the most difficult to build a side from scratch

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers

That's one of the most misunderstood trades ever. Freo did legitimately draft McLeod, but at the time being drafted by a club didn't mean you automatically went to that club, McLeod simply refused to sign a contract with Freo, and under the rules at the time he was considered an uncontracted player and eligible for the pre-season draft seeking a new club. The rules were changed later to stop players doing that, nowadays if you are drafted by a team you get a minimum contract with them, you can't opt out if the club that drafts you isn't what you wanted.

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, these days McLeod would be banned for draft tampering.

Funnily enough, they didn't allow Nathan Buckley to get away with it two years earlier, although he eventually got to Collingwood.

Feb 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's one of the most misunderstood trades ever. Freo did legitimately draft McLeod, but at the time being drafted by a club didn't mean you automatically went to that club, McLeod simply refused to sign a contract with Freo, and under the rules at the time he was considered an uncontracted player and eligible for the pre-season draft seeking a new club. The rules were changed later to stop players doing that, nowadays if you are drafted by a team you get a minimum contract with them, you can't opt out if the club that drafts you isn't what you wanted.

Yup, in his own words:

ugh... skip to 5:37

Borry

Protected Species
Aug 15, 2004
You never never know if you never never go.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Sydney
I suspect there were quite a few personality clashes between Neesham and players, heard that when asked if he would lure Bell back to Freo around 2001, Neesham said no and said something on the lines that he didn't like him.

Harry Reems

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
All twelve established clubs, along with one of the two teams set to debut in the competition, the Brisbane Bears, were given one pick in each of the five rounds, a total of 65 overall. Brisbane received the first selection in every round, and six pre-draft selections, as well as complete access to all players from Queensland.

The other new side, West Coast, was also granted similarly exclusive home-state rights. However, with the superior range of players available from the West Australian Football League (WAFL), the club was excluded from the draft.

The order of the remaining picks was set in the reverse of the previous season's finishing positions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_VFL_Draft

The format of the second VFL Draft was much the same as that for the inaugural draft held the previous year. In each of the five rounds, the 13 participating clubs (except West Coast, which instead received complete access to all West Australian footballers for the second year) all received one selection, the order of which was set in the reverse of the previous season's finishing positions. The minimum age for draftees was again 16, but Sydney was the only club allowed to draft players from New South Wales who were under the age of 19.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_VFL_Draft

I'm just trying to find West Australian based players in these two drafts but can't. Even Mark Bairstow is not there.

Harry Reems

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

You could of had Nat Fyfe and Hayden Ballantyne, but you chose Brad Sheppard and Tom Swift instead.

You also could of had Daniel Rich or Stephen Hill, but you chose an overrated and injury prone palm tree instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back