Oppo Camp 2014 non-Geelong AFL match and general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Which year? 1998?
Can't recall exact year, though just hunted on wiki and found that North played all the first Fri night games when they started, back in 1985- though they weren't held every week. In 1998, North only played 5 Fri night games, the Cats had zero. In 1995, it was North 8 games, Cats 1. By 2008, the Pies were playing 8, North and Geelong only 3. Now the big clubs, and successful clubs, get those blockbuster games.

I just remember one year that it seemed the Roos were playing almost every Fri night and, when they played finals on the Fri night, I was thinking what an unfair advantage it had given them.

Can't recall exact year, though just hunted on wiki and found that North played all the first Fri night games when they started, back in 1985- though they weren't held every week. In 1998, North only played 5 Fri night games, the Cats had zero. In 1995, it was North 8 games, Cats 1. By 2008, the Pies were playing 8, North and Geelong only 3. Now the big clubs, and successful clubs, get those blockbuster games.

I just remember one year that it seemed the Roos were playing almost every Fri night and, when they played finals on the Fri night, I was thinking what an unfair advantage it had given them.
North were the pioneers really with Friday night footy... not to sure about it giving them an advantage.

Pretty certain in 97 when they got us it was a Sunday evening or something?

North were the pioneers really with Friday night footy... not to sure about it giving them an advantage.

Pretty certain in 97 when they got us it was a Sunday evening or something?
My memory isn't that good- I have to look things up.
Sat night games were also played that year- North played a total of 7 night games, Geelong 3.

I'd say if you play a lot of night footy, under bright lights, different routine to day games, etc., a team that does it week in, week out, would be advantaged over a team with similar ability that is playing a rare night game. Obviously you'd still beat the weaker teams and get beaten by stronger teams- perhaps not by as much, though. With most teams getting a crack at night games now, it's not such a big deal- but back in those earlier years, I believed it was.
One thing I still don't like is the late games played in Perth. Add your 2 hour time difference and the boys are starting around 9+ pm, finishing the game not much before midnight. It would be very draining. In addition, the players from the east have just had an extra 2 hours added to their day when they've travelled.

Darnit- you should've picked their premiership year 1999- they played 11 night games :)
Still didn't impact us. We beat them round 1 (at night I believe in a big come from behind win) we won our first 5 then went to absolute shite

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you have to look that up or was it stored in your brain? If you remembered it, do you have any room left in your brain for stuff that isn't footy? I'm constantly amazed at how people remember particular plays in footy, or scorelines, or what the weather was like that day ;) I struggle to remember what I'm doing when I open the fridge door ;)

Did you have to look that up or was it stored in your brain? If you remembered it, do you have any room left in your brain for stuff that isn't footy? I'm constantly amazed at how people remember particular plays in footy, or scorelines, or what the weather was like that day ;) I struggle to remember what I'm doing when I open the fridge door ;)
Both... I remembered we were rubbish.. and double checked the win/loss for that year.. that was the year Colbert was captain and did his knee.. I can remember North were a fair way up (for back then) at half time. We came back for a great win.. can remember the image of Colbert hobbling onto the field at the end and embracing the players.

Shame he walked out at the end of the year...

I struggle to remember to put the butter back in the fridge but can remember random s**t from footy haha

Have we had the discussion about players' names on the guernseys, yet? :rolleyes:
Or the debate on whether footy should be played on Good Friday. Enough talk about it already SEN-kb, ralphie et al, stop it :thumbsdown:.

(Oh, if it does get introduced and Essendon get to play it as rumored, I'm in first to say not fair :p).

Or the debate on whether footy should be played on Good Friday. Enough talk about it already SEN-kb, ralphie et al, stop it :thumbsdown:.

(Oh, if it does get introduced and Essendon get to play it as rumored, I'm in first to say not fair :p).
Do you know anyone that wouldn't watch the footy because it's Good Friday?

i only listen to sen on saturday morning for "off the bench" and "crunch time"....finey is dead to me after his pro golden balls readings from the bible according to james. he really should have checked his connections at the sen door and left them there.

has finey officially apologised for being incorrect? or he is still towing the golden balls line?

i only listen to sen on saturday morning for "off the bench" and "crunch time"....finey is dead to me after his pro golden balls readings from the bible according to james. he really should have checked his connections at the sen door and left them there.

has finey officially apologised for being incorrect? or he is still towing the golden balls line?
Would Finey apologize for anything?

Do you know anyone that wouldn't watch the footy because it's Good Friday?
I'd watch it. Just meant that it gets talked about over and over. Don't think it's fair if Essendon play in it (if it does eventuate) after nearly bringing the comp to its' knees last season.

Nah, Finey's still p1ssing in Hird's pocket, but has gone a bit quiet on the whole Hird saga. Only listen now and then.

It shouldn't be north or any other low drawing side. I wouldn't mind it being West Coast v Freo. Afternoon their time / Night time here.

It shouldn't be north or any other low drawing side. I wouldn't mind it being West Coast v Freo. Afternoon their time / Night time here.
Who's your new avatar picture manboob :confused:?

Poor North. Suggestion I heard was North v Dogs. Not a 'big' enough game for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back