Not open for further replies.

Moggy

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2012
Oslo
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair enough.
But without doubt, the best in the business right now.
And outside footy, a great bloke too.

Best in business? Absolutely

I cannot imagine he would ever want to come to Geelong.
His next challenge is much more likely to be converting talent to flags at GCS or GWS.

GFrost

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Playing sport as so many young people do, you don't imagine this could happen....
Small, insignificant things don't matter.
Be good, be kind, live life and love those around you.
Rest peacefully Phil and all love and comfort to your poor family.

Really have been just numb since I heard, amazing the effect it can have considering I obviously never met the bloke.

If the AFL ran the game the bouncer would be banned after this....... I am glad that Cricket is not policed so re-actively

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
Gut wrenching.
It wont change cricket. Except for this weekend.

There will be no bouncers anywhere.

Gut wrenching.
It wont change cricket. Except for this weekend.

There will be no bouncers anywhere.
Would be interesting to see the reaction if a fast bowler charged in and dropped one short first ball wouldn't it

Would be interesting to see the reaction if a fast bowler charged in and dropped one short first ball wouldn't it

i think you have to - or someone does. You can blame the bouncer as the act that did it - but what about a redesigned helmet or better response times for cranial injuries.

Its a tragedy the likes Cricket has never seen really and hopefully will never again - but the short stuff is part of the game.

I have no basis other than my opinion to say this but im sure the PH would want another short one given the chance such a player he was.

Full respect to PH and his life lost and my thoughts go to his family, friends, players and fans of cricket everywhere.

So sad.

RIP PH.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
I actually believe there will be a few bouncers bowled in whatever 'serious' cricket is played around the country this weekend.

I figure there will be some who take the view that the only way to properly honour Phil Hughes is to play the game as it should be played. Without any recourse to manufacturing 'a different sort of game' for this weekend in deference to his memory.

If you start down the path to playing some cricket differently, I don't think you can then easily decide when it's 'right' to alter course and return to type.

Probably better not to play at all until it's acknowledged that the game includes the inherent danger of the short ball, and this will still always have to be negotiated in the course of any batsmen truly mastering the bowling. And the risk that underpins that statement will always remain a part of the game.

If that means a weekend off for everyone to take stock and recognise the enormity of the tragedy resulting from a young man simply playing the game he loved, then so be it.

Moneypenny

Team Captain
May 29, 2014
The Pimms Tent
AFL Club
Geelong
I think everyone recognises that what happened was somewhat of a freak occurrence, and not something that is likely to happen again for a while. The outpouring of sympathy for the bowler would attest to that.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
like you said penny, how many times a year do players take a knock to the helmet like that and go on with it?
I feel for Abbott. It is something you would never wish upon anybody and just like police officers in the line of duty who fatally have to fire that gun, it's something that would take a long time to put at the back of your mind.

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
Mate I was an opening bowler.
And got pulled up by captains because of how attacking my short ball was.

It would be all yorkers this weekend.
Take runs off me. I don't care this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back