PC2011/12RP 2014- Number 1 Draft Prospect - Hayden Sumner

Remove this Banner Ad

ofw3.jpg
Live on the Gold Coast
And really from there is where my story begins. I grew up as a youngster in the country town of Bendigo, some 150km's out of Melbourne. I came from a big family of 6 children however only the 3 of us were big football fans. Both of my older brothers had gone on to play Senior football at Sandhurst Football club (which produced some big names like Nick DalSanto and the Selwood brothers). However after some big injuries to both my older brothers both had never stepped foot onto a football over ever since.
The distance from my older brother to myself is a good 12 years apart as he grew up friends with Nick DalSanto and Troy Selwood, whilst my other brother had good relationships with Adam and Joel Selwood. The family bond between us Sumner's and Selwood's was throughout the whole family, as i played a lot of my junior football with Scott Selwood at the under age level. Scott was a couple of years ahead of me, but my time was coming.
I started my junior football out with Marong football club in the Loddon Valley League where i played 3 seasons, featuring in the under 17's Premiership and making many senior appearances.
The Bendigo Pioneers was the next step in a competition in which the Geelong Falcons and the Eastern Rangers dominated the season, us Pioneers only finished with 3 wins for the season. However I managed to play consistent football throughout the year in which was noticed by the AIS academy and i was invited to the AFL draft combine to test out my results.
I gave everything i had on the week, doing multiple activities and interviews it was a daunting and hard week let me tell you. Beep tests, 3km runs, kicking drills, vertical leaps, strength and condition, reflex activities and being under the pressure and spotlight of mutliple AFL clubs and there recruiting staff. But i knew this was the easy part.
Next thing i know i've been invited to the Gold Coast where the 2013 AFL National Draft was being held and i was sitting next to a few Pioneer boys who also got the call up, and with that i was in the room with my parents awaiting my opportunity to become an AFL footballer.
After finishing the 2013 AFL season on the bottom of the ladder the Melbourne Demons had the first pick of the night..... and from there... it began.
Pick 1: Melbourne Football ClubPlayer number: 2470616711 - Hayden Sumner from the Bendigo Pioneers and the Marong junior football club

ofw3.jpg
Live on the Gold Coast
I quickly jumped up out of my seat after hearing my name called out by Jason Taylor the head recruiting manager from the Melbourne Football club. But in a spilt second i remembered that i wasn't in my lounge room at home just with my parents, i remembered that there was another 1,000 or so people in the room including head coaches, other draftees, parents and the league boss, so i decided to casually die down my excitement.It has been a tradition for the first 5 draftees of the day to go up on stage and give a little speech/interview, so i started to walk up on stage just as a production worker quickly ran up to me and followed me to the stage as the crowd was on there feet as a standing ovation. I took the 5 steps up onto the stage where i was greeted by Andrew Demetriou, the leagues boss who shook my hand and gave me a slight nod, which then he pointed me into the direction of the announcer Bruce McAvaney at the microphone.
I slowly walked over to Bruce and the podium type microphone as i looked out into the crowd and still they were on there feet clapping, and admiring that i had just become the 2014 National Draft Number 1 pick for the Melbourne Demons.
Bruce stepped towards me and shook my hand and congratulated me before we hit the microphone, and just with the rush of adrenaline i realized that i was now standing in front of over 1,000 people and i hate public speaking.
"Well mate, how does that feel..? Being picked up as the number 1 draft selection for the Melbourne Demons"
Itook a deep breathe and just sank it in for the moment whilst i went to answer the question: "I'm still shocked to be here Bruce, but the feeling is wonderful knowing that not only i've been selected by the Melbourne Football club, but knowing the my football career starts right here and that the hard work has only just begun".
"Now a few people have mentioned to me that you are terrible at public speaking".
I laughed loudly with the crowd laughing as well, "Mate i'm terrible, i almost forgot for a second there that i was standing in front of a room full of people with the adrenaline and excitment"
"Take me back to the junior days. You grew up in Bendigo where some big name footballers have come from, Nick DalSanto, Michael Osborne, Chris Tarrant, Nathan Brown and the Selwood 4-some, but i believe your family and the Selwood's had a close friendship growing up?"
"Yeah we did, i come from a big family with 6 kids and 5 of them are boys, so we were a big footballing family as were the Selwood's and um, we were are pretty spread out with age as well, so my two older brothers for to play with Troy and Adam Selwood as well as Nick Dalsanto, whilst i was playing most of my junior footy with Scott and have played a few games with Joel as well. Dustin Martin was also in that same year as us so the Bendigo area has had good success with players over the years... Oh sorry and i can't forget with Jake Stringer last year as well."
"And mate you were picked up by the Demons, what excites you about playing for the Red and Blue next year?"
"That's such a quick question i'm still in shocked that i'll be a Demons player, let alone playing AFL next year. Oh look, the Demons are on the rise. We all have been paying close attention to them during the off season. They landed a big name coach in Paul Roos who i think will do absolute wonders for this club, and we still don't know who the successor will be, but i'm sure Roosey will guide them into being a great coach for this club. They um, publicly spoke about they needed help with their midfield, so they had a pretty good trading period picking up Viv Michie, Dom Tyson and Bernie Vince to the club, so i'm looking forward to playing with those guys and the emergence of Jesse Hogan next year as well, so Demons fans should be getting excited about the direction this club is headed."
"Absolutely, and just lastly for those who don't follow the TAC cup and the draft, can you tell us what type of player you are and what can you contribute to the Demons in 2014?"
"I'm a person who believes in taking one step at a time, i could come out here and say i'll play 24 games next year and i'll win the rising star and blah blah, but i just look forward to meeting all the players and coaching staff in the coming days and then to hit the preseason as hard as i possibly can.
I'm a midfielder/wingman. I've got plenty of speed which i use to my advantage on the wings. I like to get in and under the packs and fight for my own ball as well. Everyone loves to go forward and kick goals, but i believe that goal assists are just as important. I think i will bring a bit of fresh air to the club in 2014. I may be crap at public speaking, but i have always had a leadership role in my junior years and even at my jobs so i'll look to use my voice as much as i possibly can once the trust has been earnt from the team mates. With Dom Tyson, Viv Michie and Bernie Vince coming into the side i believe i can bring some run and carry to the club and also a clearance winner".
"And i think i can say on behalf off all the people in this room tonight, we are excited to see you in the red and blue next year, congratulations on being the Number 1 selection, and good luck with your AFL career"
"Thanks Bruce"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back