NFL 2014 Path to the Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

More and more the media reports tend toward the fact that there will be no QBs taken in the top 5. Peter King is the latest to say so this morning. If that's the case, the top 4 could very well play out like this...

1 Houston - Clowney
2. St Louis - Robinson
3. Jacksonville - Mack
4. Cleveland - Watkins

Pittsburgh QB Tom Savage is scheduled to either visit or work out for 24 or 25 teams before the draft.

Savage's stock is sizzling right now. His agent has had to tell two teams who wanted to set up a visit that his client literally has no days left available before the May 8 draft. At 6'4/228 with what "some are calling" the "best in the draft" per SI's Peter King, Savage now looks like a legitimate candidate to come off the board in the second round. King suggests the Raiders at No. 33 overall as a potential fit.

King is hearing that four quarterback-needy teams (Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland) are "strongly considering" passing on the position with their first picks and waiting for the second round. Perhaps that's why there's so much buzz around guys like Garoppolo and Pittsburgh's Tom Savage right now.

King is hearing that four quarterback-needy teams (Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland) are "strongly considering" passing on the position with their first picks and waiting for the second round. Perhaps that's why there's so much buzz around guys like Garoppolo and Pittsburgh's Tom Savage right now.
That sounds like a great idea on how to miss out on a franchise QB. Don't think any team finds their franchise QB when they have no one on their roster in the second round. Realistically Oakland and Cleveland at least have someone worthy of starting. Texans and Jags blew their chance to risk it and see who falls.

probably told him that to see his reaction if he'd slack off which he did so they no longer select him
So on one hand he could upset the club who is about to draft him, or the other he comes across as a lazy SOB.

It's a lose/lose.

There is some hard work being done to knock Clowney from number 1.

This today:

"
Former South Carolina DE Jadeveon Clowney reportedly will not do any more individual workouts for NFL teams.
According to Peter King at MMQB.com, Clowney made the decision following the injury to Clemson T Brandon Thomas, who suffered a knee injury in training for the NFL Draft recently.
The article states that Clowney’s camp has told at least three teams that he will not work out with them prior to the draft. He did work out at the April 2 Pro Day at South Carolina.
Clowney came under fire for his work ethic throughout his final season at South Carolina.
Thomas suffered a torn ACL, according to several reports. ESPN confirmed the injury came during a non-contact drill in a workout for the New Orleans Saints. "

Next we are going to hear how Clowney hates little children.

Has to be the pick.

If the rams are trading out of the two spot it really opens the door for a number of team to go after a QB in the 2,3,4,5 range.

I could see a team like Tampa or Minnesota trading up for Bortles

The Vikings won't be trading up - they have too many holes. If anything they will want to trade down.

I'm pretty sure they'll take BPA at 8 if they don't get an offer to trade down.

The Vikings won't be trading up - they have too many holes. If anything they will want to trade down.

I'm pretty sure they'll take BPA at 8 if they don't get an offer to trade down.
There ar equite a few rumours circulating that they will move up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have shown over the last couple of years that they aren't afraid to be aggressive

It all depends on context. In a weak draft class last year the Vikings traded back into the 1st round to take Patterson. In a strong draft class this year I would expect Spielman to do the opposite and try to accumulate more 3rd and 4th round picks

Has to be the pick.

If the rams are trading out of the two spot it really opens the door for a number of team to go after a QB in the 2,3,4,5 range.

I could see a team like Tampa or Minnesota trading up for Bortles

Question is whether either team seriously THINK… Bortles is the guy. I read that Bortles actually worked with Big Ben. Comparisons are strikingly identical more or less. From NFL.com
Bortles' size (he's 6-foot-5 and 232 pounds) has led to most of the comparisons to Roethlisberger (6-5, 241), who was the No. 11 pick in the 2004 draft. Roethlisberger has a stronger arm, but Bortles is the better overall athlete. While Roethlisberger is an effective scrambler, Bortles showed an ability to hurt opponents on designed runs at UCF.

probably told him that to see his reaction if he'd slack off which he did so they no longer select him

Interesting physiological move. Wonder if the Texans have survelliance on him to monitor his 'what next' move just to see what Clowney is all about… who knows how this plays a part in the process?

So it seems that the Jets have had tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz in for a visit, given a photo of his itinerary at Florham Park somehow made it online. The photo below is from a Jets message board I frequent, so I hope it shows up okay even if you're not logged in:

attachment.php

Remove this Banner Ad

Back