Competitions 2014 Port Board DT / AFL Fantasy League(s)

Remove this Banner Ad

My AFL fantasy score is 1958 with 3 to come. Currently 244th overall. Rockliff (proj. 112), Mitchell (proj. 98) and Langford (proj. 31). Hoping for 250-300 as Langford is a rover and a score of 2200-2250. The overall leaderboard has the leader with a score of 2490. You can't select the team to see who they have left but I would think that most of the coaches in the top 50 would have selected at least Mitchell and/or Rockliff.

Real Dream Team 1642 with 6 to go. Mitchell(98), Rockliff(93), Langford(15), Suckling(58), Ellis(30), Zorko(74).

Last edited:
There is something odd happening with the leaderboard. Last night after the Essendon game I was 244th overall, 79th in SA and 24th of Port supporters. The leader had scored 2490 and the leading Port supporter about 2350. Now I am 222nd, 75th and 23rd and the leading coach has scored 2240. I'm not sure what is happening as I've moved up 22 places overnight but one of the other coaches has only moved 15. And both of our scores are still the same, it seems that the top scorers have disappeared.

I'll probably check back later and find that the system has done something totally different again.

EDIT : Had another look and saw that it said 222 of 165520. I'm not sure exactly what that total number of coaches was yesterday but I do remember that the last two digits were 14. There are some rules and coaches can be disqualified for multiple entries. Maybe this happened and it has been detected?

Last edited:
There is something odd happening with the leaderboard. Last night after the Essendon game I was 244th overall, 79th in SA and 24th of Port supporters. The leader had scored 2490 and the leading Port supporter about 2350. Now I am 222nd, 75th and 23rd and the leading coach has scored 2240. I'm not sure what is happening as I've moved up 22 places overnight but one of the other coaches has only moved 15. And both of our scores are still the same, it seems that the top scorers have disappeared.

I'll probably check back later and find that the system has done something totally different again.

EDIT : Had another look and saw that it said 222 of 165520. I'm not sure exactly what that total number of coaches was yesterday but I do remember that the last two digits were 14. There are some rules and coaches can be disqualified for multiple entries. Maybe this happened and it has been detected?

I haven't been able to make sense of the scoring on any of the three AFL Fantasy games. The site is an absolute mess.

Supercoach and Real Dream Team are such a breeze to use in comparison. I can't believe the AFL went with a company that clearly had an unfinished product. Amateur at best.

Well, my fantasy has finished for round 1. I have no St Kilda, Melbourne, West Coast or Bulldogs players. Not starting anyway. Rockliff and Mitchell didn't do as well as I expected, I was hoping for 220 in total from them and I got 164. Langford did better than I hoped, 70 from a 135500 player. In fact my three cheap defenders, Langdon, Griffiths and Langford scored 248 between them and cost 135500 each while my premiums scored 250 and cost a total of 1562500. My score is 2192 and I sit 57th overall, 16th in SA and 2nd of Port supporters. This will obviously drop quite alarmingly as I don't score for the final 2 games. Luckily the 4 teams to play don't have too many players selected so I may not drop as badly as if the games to be played featured teams like Collingood, Essendon and Hawthorn.
As fantasy is now updating your position during the game I can see my position dropping steadily. After 1 1/2 quarters of St Kilda/Melbourne I am 89th. The best I can hope for is to be better than 300th by the end of the round.

I was just going through the leaderboard and found a huge hole in it. The scores for places 150 is 2157 and the score for place 151 is 1980. There definitely is something wrong there, there cannot be 177 points between 2 scores

Last edited:
That was not a good game for my ranking. Sitting at 57 before the saints/melb and 781 after. Although there was some kind of error with the leaderboard which seemed to be hiding a lot of scores so I may have already been lower than 57 before the game started. Top scorer has 2400 and I have finished with 2192 so I am waiting for a further bit of plummeting tomorrow.

I've got 6 cheapies who I'm hoping will be cash cows and they've started well. The expensive ones that haven't done well for me are Dangermouse(68), Mitchell(68), McVeigh(83) and Thomas(65). I'll have to consider downgrading some of those as I want to get Ablett and I've heard Zorko might have a better year than last year. He got 93, more than his projected 74.

Did much better than expected with my eight midfielders(1024) and passably with my two rucks(193). Bombed out a bit on my six defenders, particularly with premiums(498) and six forwards(477). Although it was a good round for midfielders and I could see some coaches making 1200-1300 with their midfielders. The second round will be more of the same with coaches trying to do the best for themselves with the free hit. But then after that people will start to drop off as the coaches who did not have cash cows try to compete when they have a salary cap of $11m against the ones who have $12m or $13m. Bit like Sydney, isn't it? I can't recall any of the names who were top 50 after round 1 still being around at the end of the season.
The bye rounds will be fun. When setting up a league in afl fantasy you can choose to have bye rounds count or not. Just for interest I may set up a non-bye league next year.

Last edited:
Final game has started, part way through the first quarter. In my AFL fantasy I have no players in the WCE/WB game. My position has already dropped from 781 at the start of the game to 1352. The real dream team does not show positions till the end of the round but I think I will be even lower as my score at the start was 2054 with Xavier Ellis only to come. Although the league has not started yet it shows all the players in the league, the 2 Port Adelaide leagues and the public league I am in seem to be doing not badly with scores ranging from 1800-2100.

EDIT : My position at the moment is 4874 and dropping as the game goes on. I have had a look at the coaches scores on the leaderboard and you drop down 50 places for every 2 points. Two of my substitutes scored a total of 16 better than 2 players on the field, so had I selected them I would have been 400 places better off. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Finished with 2259 in AFL Fantasy and 2180 in Dream Team. Happy with that.
2192 in fantasy and 2110 in dream team. Dangermouse, Mitchell, Thomas and McVeigh disappointed me. I knew I shouldn't have selected Dangermouse and I can't have him in my team when we play them, it puts me in the position of hoping my fantasy score(he's not in my DT) goes down the toilet. Looking to trade Dangermouse and McVeigh(or Mitchell) for Zorko and Suckling so I can replace Thomas with Ablett. All my cheapies did well for me so I'll hold onto them till they can be cashed in.

Did a good bit of downgrading today. Swapped Dangermouse for Breust, Sam Mitchell for Suckling, McVeigh for Swallow, Tom Mitchell for Mark LeCras. Bit unsure on the last one, I only did it because I needed another $28k to get Ollie Wines. Upgraded Thomas to Ablett as well. Polec still there as I want to cash in later but I have him on the bench. In my midfield I've got 3 $600k players, 4 $500k players and Ollie Wines for $402300. If I decide to get Tom Mitchell back I can change Ollie for Liam Shiels, who seems to finally have a mortgage on a midfield spot, instead of the tagger role he used to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1947 after my first round. I never played before so I had no expectations- it was fun though. I just don't know enough about the other teams to do this right- clearly you want to be picking the best 5 players in the comp and then spending the rest of your money on players like Wines and Polec who are going to be the big movers. Am I right?:footy:

1947 after my first round. I never played before so I had no expectations- it was fun though. I just don't know enough about the other teams to do this right- clearly you want to be picking the best 5 players in the comp and then spending the rest of your money on players like Wines and Polec who are going to be the big movers. Am I right?:footy:
Players like Wines you pick for their scores, with a cost of $402300 he can only really improve about $150K and he also needs to score at least 75 per round or his value drops. Players like Polec who are $135500 or even Dom Tyson who is $206700 are worth money but you may want to hold them on your bench. Guys like Rohan of Sydney, Frost of GWS, Griffiths of Richmond and Langdon of Collingwood all cost barely anything and their cash value goes up when they score over 30-40.
But yes, you are right, you pick low value cash cows but you also need to get some mid-range ones who will score. And there are quite a few of these this year who have had a lengthy layoff or were performing another role. Rosa of West Coast is cheap because he played 11 games only last year, Suckling of Hawthorn because he did his ACL in the 2013 pre-season. David Swallow of GCS(be careful, Andrew is injured) is cheap because GCS weren't sure where to play him. Shiels of Hawthorn was played as a tagger but seems to have been given free rein now. Beams of Collingwood is $498K but can be included as undervalued, AFL fantasy once had him at $657K. His drop in price is due to him missing most of last year.

As to the premiums, it depends how you want to go. Some people prefer to spread them 3 backline. 5 midfield, 2 forward and maybe 1 in ruck. I prefer to have 1 premium back, 7 midfield and 1 forward. I have less premiums in total as I have three of the most expensive. Haven't taken Swan yet as Collingwood are playing him forward and after 2 rounds his value may have dropped.

Real Dreamteam and AFL fantasy placings are all in. I am 4999 in fantasy and 2628 in dreamteam. Better than the last two years when I was over 30000th in dreamteam and supercoach after the first round. I got even worse and was close to 100000 until the 10th round or so when I started to claw back and finished somewhere in the 20000s.

Looks like both me an MrSpeaker had passable scores although we had at least 4 disappointments. I also had Rockliff who while he got 96 cost 558000 and you'd expect a 110-120 for that. Didn't have Ablett which cost me. I was going on last year when I didn't have Ablett at the start and got him about 3 weeks in for less than his starting price.
In Dreamteam I'm 1954 places behind MS but only 70 points. Could have made that up with Ablett as skip(I had Dane Swan). In fantasy i'm 3879 places behind but only 67 points. Had Steve Johnson as skip which was better than Swan but still 40 behind Ablett.
In my second round in fantasy I've stocked up with premium mids and downgraded some premium defenders to Swallow and Suckling. I've done the same with the forwards. Only got the one 500K+ forward, Dustin Martin and the one $500K defender, Jimmy Bartel.
The team I have now scored 2466 in the first round. Hopefully I can get something similar in round 2.
Dreamteam has started on 2 changes per round so I was only able to bring in Ablett and David Swallow.
Rockliff is suspended so I changed him for Cornes. Was throwing up whether I should have but that made up my mind. Polec is now on my bench.

Last edited:
This AFL fantasy league still requires 7 players. The league does not start for 10 days so there is still time.

The BF Port Adelaide Div 2 needs 7 more to fill it.

Feel free to jump on board

67KHDDPW

Fantasy review has been put up by the afl traders. It appears that most people have had a pretty poor round and come back to the field. The traders scored pretty well in the first round, all three of them with about 2300 but in round 2 one scored just over 2000, one over 1800 and one just over 1700. And I thought my score of 2165, after a first round score of 2192 was going to consign me to the lower reaches of fantasy. Could have been so much better if I had kept my first-round captain, Steve Johnson. At the moment my ranking is 428, it seems like a lot of the coaches had a bad week. Would have been due to having Gary Ablett as skipper.
Not sure what trades to make yet. Some of my cheaper ones didn't score all that well but I don't want to sell them till I can get a profit. Nick Riewoldt and Dayne Zorko did well for me when I brought them in but his was offset by Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin, Justin Westhoff and Jimmy Bartel scoring below the odds.

Last edited:
Two of the fantasy/DT favourites, Nat Fyfe and Michael Barlow will be away for extended periods. Nat Fyfe has a two week suspension and Michael Barlow a possible 4-6 week injury. For those who have Nat Fyfe, you may be able to get away with putting him on the bench if you have Luke Dunstan or Dom Tyson as reserves, but Michael Barlow is a bit more difficult. Using reserves you're looking at an average loss per week of 30 if you're lucky and over 4 weeks that could be significant. It also gets more likely the longer the play that a reserve will have a <50 game. Trading out Michael Barlow, especially if you've got a balance of $90K or so should allow you to get Pendles, Johnson, Ablett or another big scorer. If you don't have that balance, trading in Shaun Burgoyne for an under-performing premium could make you some money.

Luke McDonald started slowly but did better towards the end of the first game and also for the second game. Could be time to bring him onto the field in defence.

Last edited:
So I've stacked my side with Port players but still I'm over 1000 points behind 'The Rory Colqhouns' with Sunday's games still to come. I have Kane Cornes as captain. However I don't think he's going to get 60 possessions today, which is about what I'd need to win this game.

I think "Overhead Powerlines" is going to be the Melbourne FC of the Port Board Div 1. Hope I don't get relegated for 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back