Competitions 2014 Port Board DT / AFL Fantasy League(s)

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
The fantasy immediate update can really throw your placing around. before Friday is was no. 428. After Friday I was 5500 after scoring 295 from 3 players. After the day games on Saturday I was 22000 and after the night games I was 11000. And I hope to be back to under 1000 after the games today as I have Cornes, Watson, Lobbe and Wines. Must work some way of getting Ablett into my team. His cost won't have gone up much as his break even was 128 and he scored 146.

Don't expect G.Cornes will have paid much attention to the Collingwood/Geelong game but if he had he would have noticed Steve Johnson put up with much worse than Dangerfield. Every time he got the ball, and often just when he got near it he was grabbed by McAffer. Umpires should really do something about this, marking a player and keeping them quiet is one thing but McAffer stepped into illegal play plenty of times last night by pulling Steve Johnson out of play as soon as his arm went in the balls direction. Allowing the game to flow is a directive usually followed in big games but it has its limits.

The Geelong/Collingwood game was a disaster for DT/fantasy with Beams(87), Pendlebury(94), Swan(90), Johnson(69) and Enright pulling out before the game. Even Selwood, although he scored 116, was well held after half time. He had 74 up to half time. Although I won't score well and my fantasy skip was a disaster(138) I'm looking at winning a majority of my games. In RDT I had Ablett but my other players in RDT didn't score as well as those in fantasy. Some of the coaches seem to be too loyal to one team, for instance one has 6 Brisbane players and one has Pittard and Butcher. Most have Ablett as skip but even with that high score you only need 3 bad choices to rub out any advantage.

Last edited:

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
1863 in fantasy and 1919 in RDT. The premiums I had did nothing and I ended up with only 4 100+ scores in fantasy. I paid for not having Ablett. And only had 5 in RDT, luckily I did have Ablett there. 3481 in RDT and 6577 in fantasy. I thought my placing was going to improve by thousands on Sunday as I had Cornes, Watson, Wines, Westhoff and Lobbe going but only Wines topped the ton. Replaced Lobbe with Mumford in both and brought in Ablett for Johnson in fantasy. Replaced Tom Mitchell with Jackson Merrett in RDT. Thought about Chapman but everyone's saying he may play only 12-15 games and Merrett gives me more change for later trades.

35th overall in RDT. Get in.

Good one. See that the first in the Port Board DT scored 600 less than you but had a much weaker opponent. Luck of the draw.

Last edited:

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
On 1736, pretty passable score in fantasy going when you realise I've got 4 big premiums to come and I also scored a total of 194 from 5 players. Also didn't have Ablett so traded to get him in. Went for Kane Cornes as he only topped 90 once in the last 10 games against Brisbane and kept Cotchin. So Cotchin scored 70 and Cornes 145. Have already improved my standing by over 5000 places this round, hope I'll at least not drop any places tomorrow.

Went splat in RDT, traded Mumford in and had no playing reserve rucks so missed out on a likely 100 there. Also played Georgiou over Langford which cost 44 points. At least I got a good return from Polec and as he's on a negative BE I could make some serious cash from him. Or he may start getting steady 100+ scores.

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I changed my name of my team to Stanley Park. I do not know who is who on that League table.

I traded in Impey to cover Wingard being out, and forgot to interchange them so I missed out on 35 points or so because of it. My bad. Not sure how they ever figured Impey as a forward but what the heck.

I was lucky I had a feeling Cornes would have a good weekend so I made him captain, ka-ching! I am slowly getting the hang of this but doubt I'll ever have the time to track the other 17 teams to do really well. Still, I'm having fun!:thumbsu:

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Decided to trade in S.Gray for Ellis today to make some cash(fantasy). Don't know how they work out the increase in value. Before last w/e Ellis was on a b/e of -7. He scored 61 and is now on a b/e of 7 and his value went up by $31229. Sam Gray's b/e after last week is -21. He scored 87 and his value went up by $24170. How does that work?

From now on until the byes I'll do most of my trading to build up cash reserves. Shouldn't have used the full salary cap when I selected my team initially with unlimited trades. The teams that are in the top positions seem to be the ones who went with mid-range players who have stood up this year like Shiels and MacRae.

First thing I need to do in RDT is trade out Mumford. Lost all 3 leagues and Mumford would have given me that extra bit to win at least 2 of them. I lost them by about 40. The third one I lost by 119 so he may even have given me enough to win that one. I can't consider having him on the bench as my subs aren't playing.

Scored 2064 in fantasy and 1975 in RDT. Too many low-scoring defenders and forwards. It's too easy to get sucked into thinking "I want that premium mid" after they have made a big score but you have to give up a mid for a mid. Getting rid of a player who scores 40 for someone who scores 80 makes more sense than exchanging a 100 scorer for a 110 scorer.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
my team is a team of spuds. really got it wrong at the start of this season, my younger cheap blokes have been subs, dropped or score bugger all, my more expensive players are out of form, need to trade my way into the season, but just need to wait a few weeks and hope to make some dollars to get in some quality. looking for a big second half of the year.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Made the mistake of trading out Cotchin as I needed some cash to get a more reliable defender(Jaensch). Would have been a better idea to have traded out Watson as he would have given me 50K more and he comes up against Collingwood so you can generally expect a low score when the umpires release the poor mans' David Granger on him.

Scores after 2 games of round 5.
Fantasy : 5/495 including 56 from Langdon
RDT : 6/567 including 56 from Langdon and 58 from MacDonald

No captain played yet in either

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Going well so far. Just outside the top 1000 in all competitions, and decent scores so far this week (Rockliff 116, Martin 94, Lloyd 70, Beams 131, Pendles 127, Langdon 56). Took the risk of playing Sam Lloyd instead of Franklin this week. It looked inspired when he was on 53 at half time, but then he took a hit to the head and barely touched the ball in the second half.

LOL
Jaensch is more reliable in fantasy scoring. The Adelaide board reckon Brodie Smith provides the run out of defence and is the one oppositions keep an eye on meaning Jaensch can run free and pick up cheap possessions. A bit like Nathan Bassett.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Starting to think about putting Polec onto the field instead of the bench. Watson has had 96, 78 and 87 in the past 3 weeks and has Collingwood and MacAffer next week. It's getting to the position where I might consider trading him for some much-needed cash to bring in higher scoring forwards and defenders. I'll usually score 2100 which is good for me but I have about 4 players each week who just give me 200 points in total and sometimes even less. If I can move Polec onto the field and trade Watson for a cheap mid then I would have nearly $500K to play with.
Would be able to replace Sam Frost and his 40s with Ben McGlynn who averages 90 and just scored 153 against Freo. And I could replace Will Langford or Tom Langdon with Matthew Jaensch, who is averaging 100 at the moment.

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Starting to think about putting Polec onto the field instead of the bench. Watson has had 96, 78 and 87 in the past 3 weeks and has Collingwood and MacAffer next week. It's getting to the position where I might consider trading him for some much-needed cash to bring in higher scoring forwards and defenders. I'll usually score 2100 which is good for me but I have about 4 players each week who just give me 200 points in total and sometimes even less. If I can move Polec onto the field and trade Watson for a cheap mid then I would have nearly $500K to play with.
Would be able to replace Sam Frost and his 40s with Ben McGlynn who averages 90 and just scored 153 against Freo. And I could replace Will Langford or Tom Langdon with Matthew Jaensch, who is averaging 100 at the moment.

I wouldnt be trading out a DT god like Watson unless he is injured or the bye structure demands it. He will be a top 10 mid this year no doubt and perhaps top 5. Fixture trading just burns trades in my opinion when you could be trading fattened up rooks and upgrading mid pricers.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
How do I manage to do this? I pick up Shaun Higgins and Jackson Macrae and they choose that week to turn in their worst performances of the season. And my trade, Trent Cotchin, gets his best score for the season. Teach me to do trades to flavour-of-the-month midfielders.

Have Hunter on the ground and two inactive forward bench players in Fantasy, oops. At least I had Impey as emergency in RDT.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ranked 12727 this week. I started the year with too many cash cows and premiums and have been close to the salary cap all year, leaving me with no room to move. Especially when some of the cash cows like Rohan, Georgiou, Sam Frost, Impey and McCarthy haven't really delivered. Have at least got an extra mid as Polec, recruited as a cash cow has started getting worthwhile scores. I've decided to bite the bullet on Watson and trade him down to Bennell as sub so that I can get Gunston. This leaves the injured Xavier Ellis on the bench who can be traded down next week to make me up to $140K. Hopefully someone decides to give a rookie mid their first run next week. With that extra and the cash I've got ($117K) I should be able to trade Langdon or Langford for Jaensch.

I'll also want to upgrade Wines to Swan as he is taking off but Jaensch is more important at the moment. 4 reasons; Jaensch will be likely to score about 50-60 more than Langdon/Langford and Jaensch's low BE means that every week he scores 90 his price goes up by over $20K. Swan has a very high BE and even if he scores 120 each of the next 2 weeks his price will not rise much, in fact it could even fall. Also, Port Adelaide and Collingwood are on different byes. I would want to get Swan after Collingwood's bye meaning my round 9 trade. Finally, once we are at round 9 I will have a better idea of whether I want to get rid of Wines. His relatively low score last round was due in no small part to being hit late in the first quarter and could just be an aberration.

Last edited:

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Now that Montagna's hit his straps I'll want to get him in ASAP. He's not one of these players who has one or two good scores then disappears off the face of the planet so I'll want to get him while he's cheap. There's a doublee advantage with him, he's scoring well and he's a third bye midfielder. At the moment most of my midfielders are first bye and I've only got two rounds to sort that out.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port boys did me good, I still lost but am up to 15th on %. Onwards and upwards!
Unfortunately mine were Westhoff, Wines, Polec and Lobbe. The last 3 did OK but not the 100+ scores I hope for. At least Zorko and Beams got big scores but the expected ones like Riewoldt, Selwood and Johnson were held. Still getting 2000s and winning one of my leagues 4-0. One of my leagues I've been very unlucky in, I'm 0-4 and 96% with a 1-point loss last week.

Here's hoping Westhoff repeats his 158 point haul against the Giants last year.

Jim Dixon

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2013
Canada
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unfortunately mine were Westhoff, Wines, Polec and Lobbe. The last 3 did OK but not the 100+ scores I hope for. At least Zorko and Beams got big scores but the expected ones like Riewoldt, Selwood and Johnson were held. Still getting 2000s and winning one of my leagues 4-0. One of my leagues I've been very unlucky in, I'm 0-4 and 96% with a 1-point loss last week.

Here's hoping Westhoff repeats his 158 point haul against the Giants last year.

Not broken the 2000 mark yet- I'm having to do general rejigging to put more scoring power in my backs and forward lines. I'll be trading carefully this week.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Not broken the 2000 mark yet- I'm having to do general rejigging to put more scoring power in my backs and forward lines. I'll be trading carefully this week.
If you've got someone like Xavier Ellis as a substitute mid in any of the fantasy games, you could trade down to Mitch Hallahan of Hawthorn to pick up a wad of cash. Hallahan is 143,112 in fantasy and 119,200 in RDT and his job security seems pretty sound.

If you don't have either of them and are able to afford them, I would recommend either Dayne Zorko or Ben McGlynn. Very little to choose between the two in consistency or high scores, but the next game is at the Gabba and Zorko has 2 100+ scores there already and he is a bit cheaper in both fantasy and RDT. Both players are in teams on the third bye.

My defenders absolutely murdered it this week.

Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 17.29.50.png

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
My defenders absolutely murdered it this week.

View attachment 54924
I also had Burgoyne, Swallow, Suckling and Langdon. My other scorer was Rhyce Shaw(111) but due to Langford's back injury I had to use Alexis Georgiou who was concussed and scored 15. Still my best line. The forwards were abysmal with Nick Riewoldt, Westhoff, Merrett and Zorko. Dangerfield and Higgins got tons but I still only got 398 from the forwards. Only got 4 tons in the midfield, Joel Selwood stinking it up for the 3rd week in a row. Scored 2089 which is OK for me but I'm getting p'd off accepting mediocrity. I want 2200s at least.
Now that we've got the byes I'll have to be trading for them. I'll have to trade out 2 midfield premiums as I've got 4 who are on the first bye and I've got $146K cash to do it with.

Back