2014 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

True but let's be brutally honest here. The rule allowed us, by chance admittedly, to basically land arguably the 2 best players in the draft that year - Selwood and Hawkins.

At least Sydney MUST use their first pick (assuming a club lower than them bids, which someone is bound to - if to keep them honest if nothing else).

But look at Melbourne a few years ago.

Viney was touted as a top 10 pick but only GWS had selections before the Dees. There are whispers that GWS and Melbourne had a standing agreement that GWS wouldn't bid if they got Melbourne's #3 pick thus allowing Melbourne a free hit with their pick 4 (Toumpus) safe in the knowledge they would collect a top ten player in Viney at #26.

Now, I don't know how true that is as that deal did net Melbourne Hogan but it did the rounds (even making the papers).

This is th eonly FS that I admit to getting a huge "gain". In todays system we wouldn't have one of them , most likely Selwood.

So yes Syd , must use their first pick , but if their Accademy works they may get a gun player every year. Very unlikely you could do that with FS.Half of our FS are fringe players , even the ones who played in our GF's

David Sierakowski is the only one I can think of.
and how old are they? No wonder they hate it? Frawley and the rest of them having girls.

I really think considering the payment re bidding , one could rejig the games required.It has not always been 100. Also if you have not had a FS for a period of time perhaps you get a zone type pick.

and how old are they? No wonder they hate it? Frawley and the rest of them having girls.

I really think considering the payment re bidding , one could rejig the games required.It has not always been 100. Also if you have not had a FS for a period of time perhaps you get a zone type pick.
North and Hawthorn also haven't gained anything from the rule.

Hawthorn traded their best one away.

Luke McDonald looks pretty likely for North though.

Melbourne was pretty barren as well until Viney and this year Stretch.

And Carlton have done alright out of it (not just with their own F/S selections) - they gained Gibbs and Murphy (who spurned Brisbane).

I will get another good look at Caleb Daniel tonight, this time live, when South Adelaide take on Norwood on Norwood's home deck. Caleb has been in good nick and, as such has been given another crack at senior SANFL level. Let's hope he can put in another good performance and strengthen his case for a spot on an AFL list in 2015.

Just watching the live stats of the Central V Eagles match and it looks like Josh Glenn is putting together a decent game.

Halfway through the 3rd quarter he has 7 clearances.

Anyone heard if he is going to nominate for the draft this year?

Caleb Daniel played a great game last night in a losing side. He only got a dozen disposal, but he made the most of them. He set up three goals as a direct result of some great pieces of play. He reads the game very well, he's very hard at the ball, tackles effectively for a man of his diminutive stature and, most importantly, he his very composed under pressure. A few passes he made were superb, hitting forwards lace out time and again. His skills were above SANFL level and should definitely be drafted.

Caleb Daniel played a great game last night in a losing side. He only got a dozen disposal, but he made the most of them. He set up three goals as a direct result of some great pieces of play. He reads the game very well, he's very hard at the ball, tackles effectively for a man of his diminutive stature and, most importantly, he his very composed under pressure. A few passes he made were superb, hitting forwards lace out time and again. His skills were above SANFL level and should definitely be drafted.
He is going to be a real interesting case study come draft time.

How many sub 170cm players are there on senior lists?

None. Should he be drafted, he will be the shortest player on an AFL list since Tony Liberatore.
This guy is 167cm. He's no good though. Hasn't even hit the 400 game mark yet.
HARVEY%20Brent.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy is 167cm. He's no good though. Hasn't even hit the 400 game mark yet.
HARVEY%20Brent.png
I thought he was 170cm until Iooked up his stats and, lo and behold, you're correct and I stand corrected! Boomer is a gun, Caleb would be stoked that such a resilient and skilled player shares his height. Boomer was pick #47 in the '95 draft, I wonder how good he was as a junior? Caleb is one of the best juniors in SA with sublime skills, inside and outside capabilities and seems to have a footy brain. I'll be very surprised if he isn't drafted. Some club would have to rookie him, he's too good for SANFL.

Law of averages would have it that the shorter you go the less likely success becomes, no more left field picks IMO, we need to size up like we once were.

Get over it dude. Not every club is going to draft 6 foot 5 midfielders. Hawks and Swans winning the last two flags prove you don't need big boys running around in the midfield. Such. A. Size. Queen.

I know it's a midfielder's medal, but over the last decade the average height of the Brownlow winner is 186cm.

Last edited:
Law of averages would have it that the shorter you go the less likely success becomes, no more left field picks IMO, we need to size up like we once were.
At what draft position does picking a player who is talented but short, or talented but... (?) become a "left field pick"? Using a first rounder on Caleb Daniel for example, to me would constitute as a pick out of left field. Using our first rookie pick on him however, would be nothing short of a bargain, in my opinion.

I'm always a fan of "Can he play football" and "Is he a dickhead" and working back from there.

Just looking through this years draft it's actually pretty short height wise.

At what draft position does picking a player who is talented but short, or talented but... (?) become a "left field pick"? Using a first rounder on Caleb Daniel for example, to me would constitute as a pick out of left field. Using our first rookie pick on him however, would be nothing short of a bargain, in my opinion.

You don't pick a guy who's 167cm period let alone with your first pick!....you pick someone with all round potential like Bontempelli, there's a guy called Jed Lamb who's very similar, I'd be targeting him.
I see a Ballarat kid I wanted last year debuted for the Suns, Louis Herbert, nice height modern day footballer.
We already have some ultra shorts in McCarthy and Bates, no need for more. Anyhow, what would I know I would've only had Dunstan, Jansen and Herbert.

Last edited:
You don't pick a guy who's 167cm period let alone with your first pick!....you pick someone with all round potential like Bontempelli, there's a guy called Jed Lamb who's very similar, I'd be targeting him.
I see a Ballarat kid I wanted last year debuted for the Suns, Louis Herbert, nice height modern day footballer.
We already have some ultra shorts in McCarthy and Bates, no need for more. Anyhow, what would I know I would've only had Dunstan, Jansen and Herbert.
So North Melbourne were stupid for drafting Brent Harvey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back