2014 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Meto talks a lot of rubbish at times but on this one he has a point.

As I mentioned, recruiters don't like short people and Daniel won't go early and he may not go at all IMO.

Back to the thread, I am starting to more clearly frame our draft priorites. Obviously we need to keep adding midfield quality where possible, another KPD (unless we get Frawley), a small defender would be useful although you can get those with late draft picks or free agents. And we really need another ruck, we only have two frontline rucks and one while he is playing well may be in his last year next year (HMac) and the other is not showing much and is also an unrestricted free agent next year (it is hard to believe Dawson has been with us almost 8 years but he has!), so we desperately need another ruck if we can.

Meto talks a lot of rubbish at times but on this one he has a point.

As I mentioned, recruiters don't like short people and Daniel won't go early and he may not go at all IMO.

Back to the thread, I am starting to more clearly frame our draft priorites. Obviously we need to keep adding midfield quality where possible, another KPD (unless we get Frawley), a small defender would be useful although you can get those with late draft picks or free agents. And we really need another ruck, we only have two frontline rucks and one while he is playing well may be in his last year next year (HMac) and the other is not showing much and is also an unrestricted free agent next year (it is hard to believe Dawson has been with us almost 8 years but he has!), so we desperately need another ruck if we can.
You can say what you like, but I don't believe that a player as skilled as Caleb won't be drafted on the basis if being 167cm. Boomer Harvey, Tony Liberatore... being short didn't stop them being absolute greats of our game. I've seen Caleb play live and if he isn't drafted this year then he will at some stage. As a short 17 year old against fully grown men in arguably the best state comp in Australia, he is clearly a cut above almost all of them. But I digress...

Jackson Thurlow would want to start playing some good footy in 2015 or else the Brodie Grundy comparisons will start up again. I've been very impressed with Grundy and still wish we had drafted him despite *knowing* that at some point I'll be tipping my hat to Mr. Wells and his superior foresight to mine.

You can say what you like, but I don't believe that a player as skilled as Caleb won't be drafted on the basis if being 167cm. Boomer Harvey, Tony Liberatore... being short didn't stop them being absolute greats of our game. I've seen Caleb play live and if he isn't drafted this year then he will at some stage. As a short 17 year old against fully grown men in arguably the best state comp in Australia, he is clearly a cut above almost all of them.
The only problem with this, you're highlighting 2 guys out of how many players who have been drafted/recruited since those guys started their careers?

I'd go so far to say they are exception rather than the rule.

I like Daniel, the kid can seriously play (and I do think playing senior footy in SA will help his cause, if he was a Victorian he might have been hampered by only playing against his own age group).

The success of Lewis Taylor might also help him a bit. One of the knocks on Taylor, iirc, was his height (173cm). That hasn't stopped him putting together a good year at Brisbane.

Zorko (175cm), Hrovat (175cm), Kennedy (175cm), Blair (174cm) and McGlynn (172cm) are other shorter guys who have played some good footy at times.

The daming thing here though is, McGlynn (the shortest) has 5cm on Daniel and was originally drafted as a rookie (at #55, so a late rookie selection to boot).

Blair was also a rookie selection while Zorko was passed over multiple times before being taken by Gold Coast as a Zone Selection (who then subsequently traded him to Brisbane).

Kennedy (drafted at #19) is the best of that bunch in terms of draft position but is currently struggling to get a game at a faltering Collingwood.

Personally, based on the limited evidence I've seen, Daniel has oodles of ability and some real footy smarts. However, at his height, I just can't see any club willing to use its first selection on him (not that I think you're suggesting he is a first choice selection).

I think he'd start entering calculations from the late second round onwards.

And while I would be somewhat surprised if he didn't, at the very least, get rookied somewhere his height might put a lot of clubs off.

As I said earlier, he'll present an interesting case study.

The only problem with this, you're highlighting 2 guys out of how many players who have been drafted/recruited since those guys started their careers?

I'd go so far to say they are exception rather than the rule.

I like Daniel, the kid can seriously play (and I do think playing senior footy in SA will help his cause, if he was a Victorian he might have been hampered by only playing against his own age group).

The success of Lewis Taylor might also help him a bit. One of the knocks on Taylor, iirc, was his height (173cm). That hasn't stopped him putting together a good year at Brisbane.

Zorko (175cm), Hrovat (175cm), Kennedy (175cm), Blair (174cm) and McGlynn (172cm) are other shorter guys who have played some good footy at times.

The daming thing here though is, McGlynn (the shortest) has 5cm on Daniel and was originally drafted as a rookie (at #55, so a late rookie selection to boot).

Blair was also a rookie selection while Zorko was passed over multiple times before being taken by Gold Coast as a Zone Selection (who then subsequently traded him to Brisbane).

Kennedy (drafted at #19) is the best of that bunch in terms of draft position but is currently struggling to get a game at a faltering Collingwood.

Personally, based on the limited evidence I've seen, Daniel has oodles of ability and some real footy smarts. However, at his height, I just can't see any club willing to use its first selection on him (not that I think you're suggesting he is a first choice selection).

I think he'd start entering calculations from the late second round onwards.

And while I would be somewhat surprised if he didn't, at the very least, get rookied somewhere his height might put a lot of clubs off.

As I said earlier, he'll present an interesting case study.

I reckon that when a player is less than 175cm or so then it really doesn't matter how much smaller they are by that point (unless they are a dwarf - just thought I'd better have some lower boundary!) - if they are going to be drafted their height will have sfa to do with it. It will come down to their skill set, speed, agility, goal sense etc. I'd draft Daniel because of all of those attributes - not in the first round - but definitely in the second and on if he was available.

As they say during a game of whatever, faster guys get slower but no one gets smaller during a game….

Point being being smaller makes it harder to move a mass of the same size the more fatigued you get.

Cant imagine too many small than Mots….

Dane McFarlane in the VFL is another example. Kid is a ROCKET… and I mean faster than Mots ROCKET with good skills. But he is WAY small….

Id still give him a rookie pick but that would be it and even that is a punt…

Go Catters

Caleb Daniel is shorter than Varcoe by the same amount that Varcoe is shorter than Podsiadly and the same amount that Podsiadly is shorter than Simpson.
Regardless someone will roll the dice, he's too good to be let through, I'd be ecstatic if we got him with our last rookie pick, but I doubt that he will last that long.

So North Melbourne were stupid for drafting Brent Harvey?

So one Caleb Daniel = one Brent Harvey. Being ridiculously short doesn't guarantee he's the next Harvey, about a 10,000/1 shot by me.
As I said we got a couple of mega shorts, let's just find out if one of them can make it first.

Daz, At least Dane Mac is about 180cm, CD is tiny compared to him! One thing is, he'd have Selwood beat hands down for over the shoulder frees. :D
Don't do it Wellsy. :eek:

Last edited:
As they say during a game of whatever, faster guys get slower but no one gets smaller during a game….

Point being being smaller makes it harder to move a mass of the same size the more fatigued you get.

Dane McFarlane in the VFL is another example. Kid is a ROCKET… and I mean faster than Mots ROCKET with good skills. But he is WAY small….

Go Catters

Big men don't shrink.... I wonder if that's another anachronistic truism. After all with the subs , and the quick turn arounds , its usually a big guys who is subbed.

You spot on with McFarlane he is very quick across the grass but I wonder if that out side pace is as important as inside pace. Being quick with a strong body.
I have no issue with one of our picks being sub 180 as long as they can play as a legit FP. There a few options at that height. Touk Miller is supposed to be a hand kid as well , so I just cant see us picking anyone with an early pick

2014 NAB AFL DRAFT COMBINE LIST

NSW/ACTLogan Austin Belconnen

Nick Coughlan Murray Bushrangers
Abe Davis UNSW-Easts
Tom Faul Ainslie
Jeremy Finlayson Hills Eagles
Isaac Heeney Cardiff
Jack Hiscox Sydney Uni
Brydan Hodgson Murray Bushrangers
Dougal Howard Murray Bushrangers
Michael Mattingly Corowa-Rutherglen
Tyler Roos Sandringham Dragons
Jack Steele Belconnen

NORTHERN TERRITORY
Nakia Cockatoo NT Thunder

QUEENSLAND
Harris Andrews Aspley
Liam Dawson Aspley
Matt Hammelmann Morningside
Nick Jackson Aspley
Braydon Preuss Mt Gravatt
Matthew Uebergang Ipswich
Lachie Weller Broadbeach

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Peter Bampton Norwood
Caleb Daniel South Adelaide
Sam Durdin West Adelaide
Brett Eddy South Adelaide
Josh Glenn Central Districts
Dean Gore Sturt
Cory Gregson Glenelg
Declan Hamilton Port Adelaide
Oleg Markov North Adelaide
Alex Neal-Bullen Glenelg
Keenan Ramsey Port Adelaide
Tom Read Sturt
James Rose Sturt
Billy Stretch Glenelg
Harrison Wigg North Adelaide

TASMANIA
Josh McGuinness Lauderdale

VIC COUNTRY
Daniel Butler North Ballarat Rebels
Christian Buykx-Smith Gippsland Power
Daniel Capiron Dandenong Stingrays
Zaine Cordy Geelong Falcons
Jordan Cunico Gippsland Power
Nathan Drummond Murray Bushrangers
Hugh Goddard Geelong Falcons
Daniel Howe Murray Bushrangers
Tom Lamb Dandenong Stingrays
Jack Lonie Dandenong Stingrays
Caleb Marchbank Murray Bushrangers
Rowan Marshall North Ballarat Rebels
Patrick McCartin Geelong Falcons
Jaden McGrath Bendigo Pioneers
Jackson Nelson Geelong Falcons
Lukas Webb Gippsland Power

VIC METRO
Paul Ahern Calder Cannons
Angus Brayshaw Sandringham Dragons
Jason Castagna Northern Knights
Damien Cavka Calder Cannons
Josh Clayton Sandringham Dragons
Jordan De Goey Oakleigh Chargers
Harry Dear Sandringham Dragons
Liam Duggan Western Jets
Corey Ellis Western Jets
Matthew Goodyear Calder Cannons
Billy Gowers Oakleigh Chargers
Ed Langdon Sandringham Dragons
Kyle Langford Northern Knights
Jayden Laverde Western Jets
Jake Lever Calder Cannons
Brayden Maynard Sandringham Dragons
Daniel McKenzie Oakleigh Chargers
Reece McKenzie Northern Knights
Connor Menadue Western Jets
Touk Miller Calder Cannons
Darcy Moore Oakleigh Chargers
Daniel Nielson Eastern Ranges
Brenton Payne Western Jets
Christian Petracca Eastern Ranges
Marc Pittonet Oakleigh Chargers
Ed Vickers-Willis Sandringham Dragons
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow Western Jets
Peter Wright Calder Cannons

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Aidan Anderson Swan Districts
Connor Blakely Swan Districts
Jack Cripps East Fremantle
Josh Deluca Subiaco
Billy Frampton South Fremantle
Jarrod Garlett South Fremantle
Tyler Keitel East Perth
Mitch McGovern Claremont
Jermaine Miller-Lewis South Fremantle
Jarrod Pickett South Fremantle
Clem Smith Perth
Francis Watson Claremont

INTERNATIONAL
Marvin Baynham USA
Paddy Brophy Ireland
Evan Bruinsma USA
Connor McKenna Ireland

Go Catters
We don't get priority on our VFL players, do we Daz? doesn't he have to go into the rookie draft first? I guess there'd be a gentlemen's agreement, perhaps?

The Pivotonian , the list on the AFL site today is different from yours- what's this list, then?
2014 NAB AFL STATE DRAFT COMBINE LIST

NSW/ACT

Liam Griffiths Ainslie
Jordan Foote UNSW-Easts

NORTHERN TERRITORY
Marcus Hamilton Big River Hawks

QUEENSLAND
Robert Blood Southport
Paul Hunter Redlands
Will Kristelly Brisbane Lions Academy

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Sam Baulderstone Norwood
Mac Bower Norwood
Henry Carey Sturt
Brad Coulson Port Adelaide
Ben Edwards Glenelg
Adam Gulden South Adelaide
Josh Hone Sturt
Jake Johansen Port Adelaide
Conor McLean Central Districts
Matt Panos Norwood
Zac Richards Norwood
Peter Spurling Glenelg
Brett Turner West Adelaide
Jesse Watchman West Adelaide
Callum Wilkie North Adelaide

TASMANIA
Matt Hanson Western Storm
Caleb Hislop Burnie
Tim Jones Western Storm
Mitch Rainbird Glenorchy
Josh Watts Glenorchy

VFL
Daniel Coghlan Essendon VFL
Michael Hartley Coburg
Jack Johnstone Williamstown
Adam Marcon Williamstown
Nick Newman Frankston
Jake Owen Williamstown
Adam Saad Coburg
Sam Tagliabue Essendon VFL
Shannon Taylor Frankston

VIC COUNTRY
Sam Bennett North Ballarat Rebels
Dale Bailey Dandenong Stingrays
Daniel Davie Bendigo Pioneers
Nick Dixon Geelong Falcons
Billy Evans Bendigo Pioneers
Campbell Floyd Geelong Falcons
Dylan Hodge Geelong Falcons
Harrison Kol Geelong Falcons
Joe Maishman Geelong Falcons
Oscar McDonald North Ballarat Rebels
Nick Mellington Murray Bushrangers
David Mennen Murray Bushrangers
Teia Miles Geelong Falcons
Jesse Palmer North Ballarat Rebels
Tom Templeton North Ballarat Rebels
Aaron Wilson Dandenong Stingrays

VIC METRO
Ben Allan Calder Cannons
Hugh Beasley Oakleigh Chargers
Will Fordham Sandringham Dragons
Jayden Foster Calder Cannons
Taylor Grace Sandringham Dragons
Matt Jackson Oakleigh Chargers
Bailey Jordan Northern Knights
Mark Kovacevic Calder Cannons
Michael Manteit Sandringham Dragons
Garrett McDonagh Northern Knights
Sean McLaren Sandringham Dragons
Toby McLean Oakleigh Chargers
Billy Myers Western Jets
Rielly O'Brien Calder Cannons
Fraser Pearce Oakleigh Chargers
Rory Sheridan-Ferrie Eastern Ranges
Jayden Short Northern Knights
Jack Sinclair Oakleigh Chargers
Sam Switkowski Northern Knights
Ryan Tester Northern Knights
Lachlan Waddell Oakleigh Chargers
Tom Wilkinson Sandringham Dragons

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Brenden Abbott Claremont
Matthew Ah Siu South Fremantle
Sam Bevan Claremont
Blaine Boekhorst Swan Districts
Darcy Cameron Claremont
Rick Cary Swan Districts
Adam Creeper Subiaco
Jarrod Hardisty Claremont
Alex Howard Swan Districts
Ryan Lim Claremont
Cameron Loersch South Fremantle
Dylan Nelson Swan Districts
Matthew Palfrey Claremont
Haiden Schloithe South Fremantle
Bradley Walsh Claremont
Alec Waterman Claremont
Dylan Winton Peel Thunder
Shane Yarran Subiaco

Teriyakicat, there is the National Combine and then there are State Combines.

That list you've put up is the State Invites.

The main difference, I believe, is the interest in the invitees.

For the National Combine a player needs to be nominated to be tested by at least 5 AFL clubs.

The State Combine invitees only require 3 AFL club nominations.

Basically, the kids at the National Combine have been deemed to be the "top end" talent by the talent scouts.

However, just looking through the State invites, there are some very handy players there.

We don't get priority on our VFL players, do we Daz? doesn't he have to go into the rookie draft first? I guess there'd be a gentlemen's agreement, perhaps?
A bugbear of mine !!!
Correct , we have no hold over any VFL types that we have given chances to. I feel that it would be good if a club gets reward for a player given time at VFL. Not talking about shrewd rorting to get a cheap kid , guys that have been thru a couple of drafts , playing VFL , gets better under you tutelage and then he goes elsewhere. The obvious example is Thompson at North.

I think if he is contracted then you should have have some sort of dibs on him.

In fact I feel the AFL lack flexibility to give these guys a go.It would probably help bottom clubs more than top ones but a short term contract to these guy could be an even better way of exposing them. For example , you have a need for a player or like what you see. You can give him a go for 4 weeks. If you want to , you can keep playing post that but it means you have committed to listing him. Don't like him after 4 games , another club can give him a short term contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teriyakicat, there is the National Combine and then there are State Combines.

That list you've put up is the State Invites.

The main difference, I believe, is the interest in the invitees.

For the National Combine a player needs to be nominated to be tested by at least 5 AFL clubs.

The State Combine invitees only require 3 AFL club nominations.

Basically, the kids at the National Combine have been deemed to be the "top end" talent by the talent scouts.

However, just looking through the State invites, there are some very handy players there.
That makes sense- thanks Pivot. I noticed the 'state' title but wondered how it worked as there are only a couple of players in some of those states/territories.
Do they all gather at the same place? i.e. National and State? Or are the State kids tested in their home states or perhaps together with others in the neighbouring state?
I saw Matt Ah Siu play a bit in the 16s and 17s- he was very good but don't know how he compares to others in the state/national draft invite list. Was surprised to see a couple of other WA names missing but ... meh... possibly the kids were great as juniors but haven't improved on the same curve as some others.

State screenings will take place in the player's home states.

The National Combine changes location year on year (I think). This year it is at Etihad over 4 days.

Is that Harrison KOL related to the Kol that use to pull on the blue and white hoops?
Yep. Son of Michael.

Not eligible for father-son though as Michael only played 63 games for Geelong.

Teia Miles is Geoff Miles son as well.

Last edited:
Interesting that now the media are starting to switch on to us , now we have Bundy and Caddy back , Motlop is fit and Murdoch has pace. Geelong is looking quick on the outside.

So I do wonder now , with Kelly & Bartel & Enright still to drop out sooner rather than later..... that will be try their best to replace them with pace.

Bews is quick I know , and our younger mids like Lang and Jansen are not slow. But one of the quickest guys I think I have seen this year is th e kid McFarlane in the VFL. I know Cowan is penciled for a Rookie spot but McFarlane has pace to burn. He is very outside but quick.

EDIT:

Oh I like how McStay is looking up at Brisbane. I know a few of us had him in our sights, shame Brisbane just had too many picks for us to even consider him.

Last edited:
Interesting that now the media are starting to switch on to us , now we have Bundy and Caddy back , Motlop is fit and Murdoch has pace. Geelong is looking quick on the outside.

So I do wonder now , with Kelly & Bartel & Enright still to drop out sooner rather than later..... that will be try their best to replace them with pace.

Bews is quick I know , and our younger mids like Lang and Jansen are not slow. But one of the quickest guys I think I have seen this year is th e kid McFarlane in the VFL. I know Cowan is penciled for a Rookie spot but McFarlane has pace to burn. He is very outside but quick.

EDIT:

Oh I like how McStay is looking up at Brisbane. I know a few of us had him in our sights, shame Brisbane just had too many picks for us to even consider him.
As you know, I was really strong for him, and Apeness, Honeychurch, Cavarra. McStay really reminded me of a young Harry Taylor

Lions did awesome, McStay and Darcy Gardiner. Not to mention Robertson and Cutler. Great drafting I think!
I was hopeful we'd land McStay but we weren't interested enough to pick him with P16, just been selected CHB for Brisbane, not bad for a first year kid!!! Blimey.

Last edited:
Might we be interested in Jake Lever/Calder Cannons, reportedly now at 194cm, since we missed McStay he could be our alternative this draft. Big intercept mark a bit like Taylor.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back