2014 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, well Dunkley is a F-S so not much that can be done there.

As for them getting Mills next year after Heeney this year...that's only 2 guys out of god know's how many that go through those Academies.

I wouldn't be calling for the walls to be torn down just yet.

Besides, after today, Sydney need all the help they can get. :D

Yes , well they will be getting plenty. St's and Dees need to go hard them in PSD a couple of players

What pick we got? 14?
At the moment it is 13 but that'll get pushed down the order as compo picks get allocated.

I think Turbocat or year of the cat suggested trading our pick to GWS for their two picks in the 20s (currently 20 & 23).

Be interesting to see what Hawthorn are prepared to give up for O'Rourke. If they get Hawthorn's first rounder (currently 18) we might be able to swing it as they'd then have 3, 13 and 18.

Depends on what they want to do with those picks as other clubs would see them as reasonably valuable even though GWS might not.

At the moment it is 13 but that'll get pushed down the order as compo picks get allocated.

I think Turbocat or year of the cat suggested trading our pick to GWS for their two picks in the 20s (currently 20 & 23).

Be interesting to see what Hawthorn are prepared to give up for O'Rourke. If they get Hawthorn's first rounder (currently 18) we might be able to swing it as they'd then have 3, 13 and 18.

Depends on what they want to do with those picks as other clubs would see them as reasonably valuable even though GWS might not.

It was Turbocat who suggested it. It's not such a bad idea this year. Unless Wells has identified a player who he think will be around at 14 but not at 20 odd then from what I've seen there's not too much difference in that group from 12-24.

It was Turbocat who suggested it. It's not such a bad idea this year. Unless Wells has identified a player who he think will be around at 14 but not at 20 odd then from what I've seen there's not too much difference in that group from 12-24.

To be fair I think it was more Pures originally idea , I liked it and used it but his originally I think. We have done it before 25ish for 32 & 34.

Back Wells knowledge but 13/14 is a lot earlier than 25. Still if we got something like 18 & 23 ...tempting. The other criteria is how many picks we will use , if we keep trading in 2 might do it. One as early as possible and a late , late pick (a Hartman special perhaps), the more I look at that kid Shannon Taylor , the more I like the idea especially if we trade Varcoe.

If we can trade out all our later picks for clark and a ruck i would do 14 for 20 and 23 as we will probably only takec2 picks anyway.

Varcoe appears to be on his way - you would have thought that with all this speculation today regarding his future that the club would have come out and dismissed it if he was not being discussed as a possible trade option. After being floated last year, Varcoe may just have had enough of his instability and look to move on.

I will be intrigued to see if there will be any more players leave. I find it hard to believe that M.Brown will stay - he is now about 3rd in line for a forward position, and if we land Frawley, just as far back for a spot in defence.

Normally I'm a bit dubious about trading a higher pick for two below but if we could get 20 and 23 for 14 this year I'd do it. You'd think we'd go for a couple of mids and around that mark there should be a couple of good ones. One inside and one outside runner perhaps?

I'd think GWS will try their hardest to mine Hawthorn's first pick for O'Rourke.

And I think the Hawks would do it.

18 (or thereabouts) is nothing to the Hawks especially if it means landing a young kid who was #2 a couple of years ago.

O'Rourke is probably a better bet than whoever they get with that selection and he already has 2 years development.

If GWS get their hands on that pick those picks in the 20s aren't worth much to them I reckon.

And that is where our pick for those two might happen.

I haven't heard O'Rourke being linked anywhere else yet but we do know he wants to return to Victoria. If other Melbourne clubs make a play the pick could be higher again.

Last edited:
Varcoe appears to be on his way - you would have thought that with all this speculation today regarding his future that the club would have come out and dismissed it if he was not being discussed as a possible trade option. After being floated last year, Varcoe may just have had enough of his instability and look to move on.

I will be intrigued to see if there will be any more players leave. I find it hard to believe that M.Brown will stay - he is now about 3rd in line for a forward position, and if we land Frawley, just as far back for a spot in defence.

Normally I'm a bit dubious about trading a higher pick for two below but if we could get 20 and 23 for 14 this year I'd do it. You'd think we'd go for a couple of mids and around that mark there should be a couple of good ones. One inside and one outside runner perhaps?

This year's draft is even.might get you for example a weller and then an inside player like blakely.

I think any trade will be travs decision either way.i would only trade him for a pick in the 20s.

Gws will get more early 2nd rounders for jaksch and orourke if we want to pick swap.

We only have 2 open list spots, 1 is for clark and frawley has an offer.maybe newton,maybe a ruck.

So guys have to go-brown,hunt, maybe hamling?

And we can only take minimal picks.

Brown is the obvious one for me.

Been on the list the longest but certainly doesn't appear to be the flavour of the month/year.

It would be in his interests to look elsewhere and I don't think the club would stand in his way (they'd probably trade him for less than he is actually worth...which isn't that much to begin with).

Hunt is obviously looking around. Understandable.

However I still don't get Newton. I doubt he'd be ahead of Guthrie or Caddy and Horlin-Smith would have first dibs.

Then there is Hartman, Lang and Jansen waiting in the wings.

This year's draft is even.might get you for example a weller and then an inside player like blakely.

I think any trade will be travs decision either way.i would only trade him for a pick in the 20s.

Gws will get more early 2nd rounders for jaksch and orourke if we want to pick swap.

We only have 2 open list spots, 1 is for clark and frawley has an offer.maybe newton,maybe a ruck.

I like to see us be a bit aggressive with our trading this year. Brown is unfortunately now the definition of a list clogger and must be moved on. I think we need to be prepared to accept little in return for him.

Hamling? I'd give him another year I think. But he'd want to be improving. He did this year by all accounts so deserves more time.

I like Hunt, but again, if we are being honest, he is behind a few others mid sized players now. He needs to go and will I think.

I'd trade Stokes too if we could get something half decent for him. I think we need to be getting games into Lang - Stokes to me looked too content in the finals - like a few of the other senior players he appeared to have lost his drive. Maybe he was injured? I don't know.

That would free up a few more spots. We may need a spot it seems for Newton and I'm really warming to picking up another mature aged mid. They should definitely have the fire in the belly.

Stokes was our best Mid early. No way a trade.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dawson retires, multiple back injuries, maybe depression, drink driving, can't overhead mark.

Brown is the obvious one for me.

Been on the list the longest but certainly doesn't appear to be the flavour of the month/year.

It would be in his interests to look elsewhere and I don't think the club would stand in his way (they'd probably trade him for less than he is actually worth...which isn't that much to begin with).

Hunt is obviously looking around. Understandable.

However I still don't get Newton. I doubt he'd be ahead of Guthrie or Caddy and Horlin-Smith would have first dibs.

Then there is Hartman, Lang and Jansen waiting in the wings.

I wonder whether Guthrie gets moved back now which opens up a spot in the midfield for someone like Newton?

I'm not convinced yet by Horlin-Smith but he needs more games no doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder whether Guthrie gets moved back now which opens up a spot in the midfield for someone like Newton?

I'm not convinced yet by Horlin-Smith but he needs more games no doubt.
The way Hartman improved this year was staggering. I was far from sold on him last year but he certainly showed a lot this year and he (along with Lang) are two guys I'd like to see get more games next year.

Throw in Jansen who I would expect to get a handful as well and I'm starting to see a bit of a squeeze in the centre square.

I don't confess to seeing Newton play but in my mind Panos or Kirkwood could do the same thing if we really want to go down that path.

And, like Turbs, the more I read and watch Taylor's highlights the more I like the idea of adding him with a late/rookie selection.

There are options out there and I have the feeling Port will try and milk Newton's worth. Seems like a lot of trouble for a guy who is probably borderline best 22 for us.

I like to see us be a bit aggressive with our trading this year. Brown is unfortunately now the definition of a list clogger and must be moved on. I think we need to be prepared to accept little in return for him.

Hamling? I'd give him another year I think. But he'd want to be improving. He did this year by all accounts so deserves more time.

I like Hunt, but again, if we are being honest, he is behind a few others mid sized players now. He needs to go and will I think.

I'd trade Stokes too if we could get something half decent for him. I think we need to be getting games into Lang - Stokes to me looked too content in the finals - like a few of the other senior players he appeared to have lost his drive. Maybe he was injured? I don't know.

That would free up a few more spots. We may need a spot it seems for Newton and I'm really warming to picking up another mature aged mid. They should definitely have the fire in the belly.

Not going hard enough yet?

Not going hard enough yet?

I think the ones that have gone were all pretty obvious. I think if we are to get back to being able to compete with the likes of Hawthorn, PA, Syd etc we need to be a bit more imaginative this trade period. I love the Clark acquisition. A bit risky but huge upside. If we can get Frawley, another ruck and 2-3 mids then I'll be happy after the trade/draft period is complete.

The way Hartman improved this year was staggering. I was far from sold on him last year but he certainly showed a lot this year and he (along with Lang) are two guys I'd like to see get more games next year.

Throw in Jansen who I would expect to get a handful as well and I'm starting to see a bit of a squeeze in the centre square.

I don't confess to seeing Newton play but in my mind Panos or Kirkwood could do the same thing if we really want to go down that path.

And, like Turbs, the more I read and watch Taylor's highlights the more I like the idea of adding him with a late/rookie selection.

There are options out there and I have the feeling Port will try and milk Newton's worth. Seems like a lot of trouble for a guy who is probably borderline best 22 for us.

Hartman and Lang are two that need to be getting 10 plus games in each next year. Jansen may be ready for half a dozen if he can have a big pre-season and improve his tank. We were woeful in winning clearances these last couple of years - Jansen and Hartman are two that we really need to become good inside mids if we are to improve. I like the look of Lang. He's gone under the radar a bit I think but he could provide some outside run and spark.

I can't really comment on Newton. I've only seen his highlights but quite a few PA supporters on here rate him highly (and Wells clearly thinks he's worth pursuing) so that's good enough for me at the moment.

Unless they have found a hidden Selwood , I'm just a bit doubtful a guy basically playing Sanfl will come in to our best 22 and be that much better than our other options. Of course that's just an ill informed prejudge position, He could be a hidden bargain. But unlike other clubs we have struggled to find those types to come in and be players for us. Sure we have had Pods and Blitz , but Stringer or Sheringham type just did not come on.

Panos and the rest , if we are going to end up with a late pick ...why not. Some a little older and a body ready to play. If they are still there at Rookie , for sure.

And yes Taylor has game. He looks like he matches those other talented guys who have been given spots, some have wasted it , some are still on lists/ I think I saw one thread here Garlett v Jed Anderson v Shannon Taylor. Shows some people opinion of where he was. He sounds like the familiy he has develop a strong sense of "make the most of it"

Hartman and Lang are two that need to be getting 10 plus games in each next year. Jansen may be ready for half a dozen if he can have a big pre-season and improve his tank. We were woeful in winning clearances these last couple of years - Jansen and Hartman are two that we really need to become good inside mids if we are to improve. I like the look of Lang. He's gone under the radar a bit I think but he could provide some outside run and spark.

I can't really comment on Newton. I've only seen his highlights but quite a few PA supporters on here rate him highly (and Wells clearly thinks he's worth pursuing) so that's good enough for me at the moment.
Yes , to all that ...but remember every player he brings in , every draft pick is one he think is worth pursuing.

Yes , to all that ...but remember every player he brings in , every draft pick is one he think is worth pursuing.

True. But even he knows he won't and can't get it right all the time (though from 99-01 he hit the sweet spot pretty much every stroke). I think the MC have identified our clearance problems as being a fundamental issue preventing us from being the best. Sure we have Caddy and Christensen who we can be confident will be 200 game players if they get a good run with injury. But the jury's still out on Horlin-Smith, Hartman and Jansen - who really represent the 3 other mids on our list whose primary role is to win their own footy.

When we don't have the luxury of drafting a Brayshaw we need to look elsewhere. Maybe it's taking a lower rated clearance player in the draft like Blakely or Neal-Bullen (who I am warming to btw). Or maybe it's taking someone who has been in the system for a bit longer, has an AFL ready body and has shown a bit at the next level down? With Newton, you have to remember he was injured for most of his first couple of years - if he hadn't been whose to say he wouldn't have run our against the Hawks a fortnight ago?

I might sound like I'm pumping Newton's types up. I'm not. Just trying to get inside Wells' mind. And that can be bloody difficult in the second before he calls out our first round pick!!

Last edited:

Id be uncomfortable not giving Hammer a senior debut. Granted he carries the rd1 stigma ( even thought he was pick 20 odd) but I reckon he's got to get a shot. His VFL work has improved year over year and being , per Wells, a project im not sure I'd toss him out yet. And with Frawley in the house potentially, Rivers, Domsy and Mackie won't be for much longer.

Go Catters

Id be uncomfortable not giving Hammer a senior debut. Granted he carries the rd1 stigma ( even thought he was pick 20 odd) but I reckon he's got to get a shot. His VFL work has improved year over year and being , per Wells, a project im not sure I'd toss him out yet. And with Frawley in the house potentially, Rivers, Domsy and Mackie won't be for much longer.

Go Catters
Even later Daz, he was pick #32.

People know he was our first selected but often forget it was in the 30s.

Just so I put this on record (and to show I own my mistakes).

Earlier in this thread I mentioned Sam Durdin won the BoG in the U18 GF for West Adelaide.

That part is true but the stats I attributed to him actually belonged to his team-mate Will Snelling.

Durdin, playing in the ruck, had 48 HOs, 12 disposals, 9 marks, 7 tackles, 5 inside 50s and 3 rebound 50s.

Just wanted to clear that up in case someone used the stats elsewhere.

Apologies for the mix up there. :oops:

Just so I put this on record (and to show I own my mistakes).

Earlier in this thread I mentioned Sam Durdin won the BoG in the U18 GF for West Adelaide.

That part is true but the stats I attributed to him actually belonged to his team-mate Will Snelling.

Durdin, playing in the ruck, had 48 HOs, 12 disposals, 9 marks, 7 tackles, 5 inside 50s and 3 rebound 50s.

Just wanted to clear that up in case someone used the stats elsewhere.

Apologies for the mix up there. :oops:
That's just not good enough :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back