2014 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Look I like JK long term but the point is he will take time and thats a luxury we may not have.

Point is I would really like to get a A grader like Frawley but they are hard to come by. What we could look for, is say a good B or B+ grade player who would still be a significant upgrade next year on using either Hamling or JK.

I don't completely disagree PO. But I think that this time next year JK will be ahead of Hamling (who I think has a bit of talent) because I think that JK will meat up over the next 12 months without too much trouble.

Would I like to see Frawley at Geelong? You eff'n bet I would!
But I do not like our chances of getting a quality replacement for Lonergan of the likes of Frawley.
If we do, then well and good. But I still don't think that it should diminish the quality of the player that I see in JK at the moment. He looks calm with a good neat kick to position and is a good size that can only get better with a pre-season or two. Who knows if someone like Enright will play on in 2015.

JK looks a better chance of being a long term tall tall defender or forward than a few of our recent higher picks. I will say it now. I think JK could be a better AFL player in 2015 (yes, people can bump me on that. I will wear it) than some players who have been at the club longer.
I think that it is not unreasonable to suggest that he could pass both Brown, Hamling and Thurlow as a defender at this stage next year.

There. I've said it.

Jake (as a pose to his brother) is only 192ish but he plays taller than that because he has a really good ability to pick up the flight of the ball early and hit it at it's earliest point. Is also very good with his kicks which we value in our defenders, and very competitive.

Assuming we end up with a pick say between about 11 and 18 then we won't get Goddard but the good news is there will be some good talls fall in that range as there is good depth in talls this year, so I think we will be able to pick up a good key defender.

How tall is Lever , the clip I remember he looked more like Enright than Taylor , 190/191 ?

I don't completely disagree PO. But I think that this time next year JK will be ahead of Hamling (who I think has a bit of talent) because I think that JK will meat up over the next 12 months without too much trouble.

Would I like to see Frawley at Geelong? You eff'n bet I would!
But I do not like our chances of getting a quality replacement for Lonergan of the likes of Frawley.
If we do, then well and good. But I still don't think that it should diminish the quality of the player that I see in JK at the moment. He looks calm with a good neat kick to position and is a good size that can only get better with a pre-season or two. Who knows if someone like Enright will play on in 2015.

JK looks a better chance of being a long term tall tall defender or forward than a few of our recent higher picks. I will say it now. I think JK could be an AFL player in 2015 (yes, people can bump me on that. I will wear it) than some players who have been at the club longer.
I think that it is not unreasonable to suggest that he could pass both Brown, Hamling and Thurlow as a defender at this stage next year.

There. I've said it.

They can bump me as well TOTALLY AGREE. Few of young talls have looked like him so early on.As I said, id put him on a Guthrie type trajectory. He had 2 in his first year , then 18 in the second. Give Jake a taste and heap of time in the VFL and next year he may well be our 3rd tall.

Yes Frawley in principle would be a handsome addition , he is talented and may well be looking elsewhere if he feels they will not be progressing.
Is he a UFA or RFA? If RFA I don't not want to spend over the top on him. Huge money for FA's is dangerous and potential unsettling. IF we went big dollars for a star maybe but it would have to be player driven. Dangerfield etc will cost money but I wouldn't want anyone coming at a higher amount than our currents. I do not want to do a Carlton and get in Thomas at 700 while trying to keep your own for less.

They can bump me as well TOTALLY AGREE. Few of young talls have looked like him so early on.As I said, id put him on a Guthrie type trajectory. He had 2 in his first year , then 18 in the second. Give Jake a taste and heap of time in the VFL and next year he may well be our 3rd tall.

Yes Frawley in principle would be a handsome addition , he is talented and may well be looking elsewhere if he feels they will not be progressing.
Is he a UFA or RFA? If RFA I don't not want to spend over the top on him. Huge money for FA's is dangerous and potential unsettling. IF we went big dollars for a star maybe but it would have to be player driven. Dangerfield etc will cost money but I wouldn't want anyone coming at a higher amount than our currents. I do not want to do a Carlton and get in Thomas at 700 while trying to keep your own for less.

Frawley is a UFA.

That said, no doubt lots of Victorian clubs will be throwing money at him, but our culture of success could sway him this way.

Frawley is a UFA.

That said, no doubt lots of Victorian clubs will be throwing money at him, but our culture of success could sway him this way.

OK . If he would come in and fit our money structure (probably mean taking less than he might get elsewhere ) then its all gain.. he is still young and it would be potentially our best FA get. ( Of course Hmac wasn't fA but he almost was if you know what I mean )

Agreed. Especially when they had spent a fortune on Judd as well as the addition of Daisy.
Tbey also have a bunch of top ten draft picks to lock in come contract discussions.

He (Goddard) won't slide that low IMO.

Someone like Lever is a better example of a good tall who may slide into the teens (mainly due to injury in his case).

From Knightmare
#7 Geelong – Jake Lever (VIC, Def, 188cm, Similar to Harry Taylor/Lachie Plowman): Lever is a really natural rebounding key defender. He’s a high level intercept mark reading it so well in the air and getting to the drop of the ball consistently. He’s also very capable of winning his 1v1s and taking marks 1v1 down back making him a real weapon down back. Lever is also an exceptional run and carry player and moves incredibly well for his height. He isn’t afraid to take on the game and push up the field and be a part of linkup chains as essentially another running defender despite his position. He’s considered a hard working high character guy so it’s highly likely that he’ll get the best out of himself.

As I said I think Lever is not the type we were looking at . Goddard is 194 so he is at least KP height ..even if we will not be able to get him.
The slide is probably our hope or the un loved. JK was 41 so they must be out there

Frawley is a UFA.

We have to rely on him desiring success/ A Premiership more than $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:
He will not be in the poor house by coming here , it may actually be better for him to just slip in on around the same as the top group. Really wouldn't want to be Buddy.
If his contract was front-ended (which I think it was) then he'd likely get a pay rise coming to us.

+ improved chances to play finals.

Frawley is a UFA.

Id luv Frawley but can't see it happening if it becomes a money battle. If it becomes a success based move then we have a shot. I think our biggest selling point is that after all the time up from 07 we have rolled all but 7 of the 07 Premiership players out and are still there abouts. The Hawks are top heavy player wise and had not blooded as much coming underneath - although they have talent there clearly and the $$ to spend after Budwah.

However, are we just one piece away and could the resources be better spent across the group? We have a few of the up and coming group out of contract soon or currently and although we may lose some veteran players the Vet list cap # is being reduced so that will hurt us going forward I think.

Will be very interesting to see it play out but after the Dees efforts thus far id say the chances of staying are slimming weekly…

Go Catters

I think we might see a bit of a "mini-cull" (perhaps not the right expresion) at year's end.

Nothing too drastic but if some of the guys in that 3-5 year bracket are still treading water we might just move them on (either through delisting or offloading for nix).

I'm thinking of senior guys like Schroder (which would disappoint me but facts are facts, he has to push his way into the ones this year), Stringer and Cowan.

If Menzel's return isn't successful I'd expect the club and him to part ways (either delisted and possibly offered something off-field or he'll call it a day).

Horlin-Smith, Smedts & Varcoe might find themselves offered around. Especially in the case of Varcoe and Smedts, if they have years like '13 and we want to try and get another early(ish) pick or improve our position in the draft.

That said, Varcoe is looking better in his 2 games so far and Horlin-Smith's game last week was promising. Oviously, we haven't yet sighted Smedts.

Sherringham has to come off the rookie list one way or the other.

And a senior guy may surprise by pulling the pin (Rivers, Lonergan perhaps).

Last edited:
I am not sure what all the fuss on Frawley is. Is he really that good? Granted he is a good player. But for us to offer him the say 700-800k that would be needed to get him is he really worth it, I am not sure. I just don't think he is as good as many are saying. I cant recall him beating the best forwards week in week out like Scarlo used to do in the early 2000's. I am comparing them as that is a period when we weren't the best team, not quite to the extent the Demons are now though. When was the last time Frawley was BOG. I am not saying he is no good just not worth the money we would have to pay him. I would much rather us develop the likes of JK, Hamling and even Walker who I still say is a key defender. If we are going to start throwing around the cash there is only one player I would do it to and that's Dangerfield. It just has never been the Geelong way to offer big dollars to recruit someone and I just cant see us doing it with Frawley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching JakeK's brother Kade play in the Red and Yellow. Cant see us getting anywhere near him. Looks like he is going to be a ripper. One would think if he is in , someone else is not getting games.

Smart choice grabbing the twin brother with our pick 38 then, wasn't it.

Id luv Frawley but can't see it happening if it becomes a money battle. If it becomes a success based move then we have a shot. I think our biggest selling point is that after all the time up from 07 we have rolled all but 7 of the 07 Premiership players out and are still there abouts. The Hawks are top heavy player wise and had not blooded as much coming underneath - although they have talent there clearly and the $$ to spend after Budwah.

However, are we just one piece away and could the resources be better spent across the group? We have a few of the up and coming group out of contract soon or currently and although we may lose some veteran players the Vet list cap # is being reduced so that will hurt us going forward I think.

Will be very interesting to see it play out but after the Dees efforts thus far id say the chances of staying are slimming weekly…

Go Catters

You are not seriously saying you don't think we have the money for a player like Frawley? (or dangerfield) are you daz?

We lost five premiership players in the off season and replaced them with no one (in terms of cap impact). We will be front loading a lot of contracts this year and making room for next year.

And by the end of 2015 we will probably have lost Enright, and at least one of the other vets (probably one of Kelly, Lonergan or Rivers at a guess). We will have a lot of cap room to work with. The bigger issue is whether we are prepared to use it, and to bring someone in on a lot of money and put them at the top of our pay scale, when in the past we have run a very flat pay structure with a lot of guys on similar money to each other and have rewarded our own first.

We certainly have the room though, and we are a successful club that people want to come to. Also, don't rule out the prospect that good players from other clubs would take less money to come here than what they could get elsewhere, for a shot at success.

I think we might see a bit of a "mini-cull" (perhaps not the right expresion) at year's end.

Nothing too drastic but if some of the guys in that 3-5 year bracket are still treading water we might just move them on (either through delisting or offloading for nix).

I'm thinking of senior guys like Schroder (which would disappoint me but facts are facts, he has to push his way into the ones this year), Stringer and Cowan.

If Menzel's return isn't successful I'd expect the club and him to part ways (either delisted and possibly offered something off-field or he'll call it a day).

Horlin-Smith, Smedts & Varcoe might find themselves offered around. Especially in the case of Varcoe and Smedts, if they have years like '13 and we want to try and get another early(ish) pick or improve our position in the draft.

That said, Varcoe is looking better in his 2 games so far and Horlin-Smith's game last week was promising. Oviously, we haven't yet sighted Smedts.

Sherringham has to come off the rookie list one way or the other.

And a senior guy may surprise by pulling the pin (Rivers, Lonergan perhaps).

We have a few fringe guys who are really at make or break time.

As I said earlier in the year, take this group: Cowan, Schroder, Stringer, Brown, Burbury, Hartman, Sheringham. Probably only half of them will be here next year and we will have a better idea in 10-12 weeks who that might be.

For example, at that stage, if Cowan is injured again he's likely to be going.
Clearly they rate Burbury.
Brown has started well but if he finds himself out of the side again by the halfway point, he would be in trouble.
Schroder and Stringer must become best 22 regulars this year otherwise what is the point giving them a 5th and 6th year on the list as depth when this looks like the best draft crop in 3-4 years?

If Menzel was to have another serious injury I think he would retire (ditto Hamish although he is looking very good at the moment)

For me Varcoe is crucial to us, as I said the only reason I would ever offer him for trade is if he doesn't want to sign a contract extension soon as he is a free agent next year. But I very much want to hold onto him, at his best he is crucial for us.

Smedts I would be more prepared to look at for the right price if he stagnates this year.

Enright may choose this year to be his last (although he is playing very well). If we were to be successful in September (long way off to think about at this stage) one or two of the other vets might pull the pin.

A big year coming up for our list management.

Pure_Ownage , Varcoe and Smedts seem to be the players with most trade attraction but be reticent to trade them unless its a gain for a change. I bit "over" being the "Town Bike" come trade week.
As we have discussed the 2 New Northern Entities have talent galore. Gees I watched GC yesterday, Sickeningly good the will be.If the keep improving then make finals this year

Pure_Ownage , Varcoe and Smedts seem to be the players with most trade attraction but be reticent to trade them unless its a gain for a change. I bit "over" being the "Town Bike" come trade week.
As we have discussed the 2 New Northern Entities have talent galore. Gees I watched GC yesterday, Sickeningly good the will be.If the keep improving then make finals this year

If you want to maintain success you have to cut some of the names that don't always deliver, those two are prime examples.
How I wish we could've traded both and picked up Luke Dunstan.

If you want to maintain success you have to cut some of the names that don't always deliver, those two are prime examples.
How I wish we could've traded both and picked up Luke Dunstan.
meto , i think we both have been down that path. Done and gone but I do know what you mean. As it was a "loss" trade may well have got us him. A bit like West. Most thought we had been short changed yet the West pick looks most promising young defender we have seen for a while.

meto , i think we both have been down that path. Done and gone but I do know what you mean. As it was a "loss" trade may well have got us him. A bit like West. Most thought we had been short changed yet the West pick looks most promising young defender we have seen for a while.

Does young Dunstan get another 'rising star' nomination, played a blinder against the giants from WA. The kid's fantastic.

You are not seriously saying you don't think we have the money for a player like Frawley? (or dangerfield) are you daz?

We lost five premiership players in the off season and replaced them with no one (in terms of cap impact). We will be front loading a lot of contracts this year and making room for next year.

And by the end of 2015 we will probably have lost Enright, and at least one of the other vets (probably one of Kelly, Lonergan or Rivers at a guess). We will have a lot of cap room to work with. The bigger issue is whether we are prepared to use it, and to bring someone in on a lot of money and put them at the top of our pay scale, when in the past we have run a very flat pay structure with a lot of guys on similar money to each other and have rewarded our own first.

We certainly have the room though, and we are a successful club that people want to come to. Also, don't rule out the prospect that good players from other clubs would take less money to come here than what they could get elsewhere, for a shot at success.
If Adelaide keeps stinking up the joint we'd want to make a very serious run at Dangerfield.

Heck, enquire about Daniel Talia as well (as unlikely as it seems).

If you don't ask, you don't know.

Likewise, Melbourne don't yet appear to be much different to last year or the year before. As such, Frawley is an obvious target (for us and a few other clubs).

How far away are Carlton based on their start?? Lachie Henderson springs to mind as a guy we could look at and sell the "success" aspect of the club (again, unlikely but why not ask the question?).

The tall fringe players at GWS and GC would also be worth looking into.

Footy players are still competitive animals and there is no doubt, for the vast majority, success is something they all want to be a part of.

Its done meto

175 million hits on youtube for that ******* song….
100 million by my kids alone. Now that Meto and Catman 71 are involved…. 300 million by Friday easy…

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back