2014 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

If Adelaide keeps stinking up the joint we'd want to make a very serious run at Dangerfield.

Heck, enquire about Daniel Talia as well (as unlikely as it seems).

If you don't ask, you don't know.

Likewise, Melbourne don't yet appear to be much different to last year or the year before. As such, Frawley is an obvious target (for us and a few other clubs).

How far away are Carlton based on their start?? Lachie Henderson springs to mind as a guy we could look at and sell the "success" aspect of the club (again, unlikely but why not ask the question?).

The tall fringe players at GWS and GC would also be worth looking into.

Footy players are still competitive animals and there is no doubt, for the vast majority, success is something they all want to be a part of.

Seeing I can dream, is not a certain younger Menzel not out of contract at years end….

Im sure he would want to stay at the sinkhole that is the Blues but dreams are free right…

GO Catters

175 million hits on youtube for that ******* song….
100 million by my kids alone. Now that Meto and Catman 71 are involved…. 300 million by Friday easy…

Go Catters

I know idea about that , just looking for a song of that title. Of course I did see the movie with the kids..it was about snow or something wasn't it

If Adelaide keeps stinking up the joint we'd want to make a very serious run at Dangerfield.

Heck, enquire about Daniel Talia as well (as unlikely as it seems).

If you don't ask, you don't know.

Likewise, Melbourne don't yet appear to be much different to last year or the year before. As such, Frawley is an obvious target (for us and a few other clubs).

How far away are Carlton based on their start?? Lachie Henderson springs to mind as a guy we could look at and sell the "success" aspect of the club (again, unlikely but why not ask the question?).

The tall fringe players at GWS and GC would also be worth looking into.

Footy players are still competitive animals and there is no doubt, for the vast majority, success is something they all want to be a part of.

Have to be some kids worth a spot on the list. Once the newbies start to elevate up the ladder , side settles a bit they should be vulnerable to lost some players for bugger all...like we have been doing for ages.

I know idea about that , just looking for a song of that title. Of course I did see the movie with the kids..it was about snow or something wasn't it

Give me a chance to rub it in, "I told you so"....... ok!....I feel better now. :)

Give me a chance to rub it in, "I told you so"....... ok!....I feel better now. :)
I don't think anyone here disputed in the lead up to the draft that he'd be a good player or that he could make an immediate impact. But history is littered with physically mature guys with senior football experience who make a splash and then gradually come back to the pack as their cohorts mature physically and mentally.

I don't think anyone here disputed in the lead up to the draft that he'd be a good player or that he could make an immediate impact. But history is littered with physically mature guys with senior football experience who make a splash and then gradually come back to the pack as their cohorts mature physically and mentally.

Yes I know like Tim Watson, Michael Voss, even Joel Selwood, I know what you mean the list is long.

I see James Frawley has put 800k a season on his head. No thanks from me there. A good player he is but not that good. He'll get it, but not at the Cats for mine.

I see James Frawley has put 800k a season on his head. No thanks from me there. A good player he is but not that good. He'll get it, but not at the Cats for mine.
I wouldn't mind him but, yeah, not at that price.

Almost sounds like he has had an approach and is trying to ward off potential suitors.

Anyway, since this is a thread to (mostly) discuss potential draftees (as well as trade targets) I did a search in the TAC website and found some coach comments regarding the year ahead.

Hopefully this helps when we start getting more of a look at some of these kids throughout the year.

WESTERN JETS
Who will be the players to watch this season?:

Torin Baker (coach): We have two boys in the AIS / AFL Academy system, with Liam Dugan and Duom Dawam, and both of those players will get opportunities at higher level this year. I also think that Jay Laverde has had a great preseason, and he is in the Vic Metro squad, Corey Ellis is another player that has had a fantastic bottom age year, and we are looking for him to show big things this year.

SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS

Justin Plapp: Ed Vickers-Willis is a half forward, running type of midfielder. Angus Brayshaw our captain is a very classy midfielder, a workman like type. Brayden Maynard a forward/back, is a really competitive type of player. Sean McLaren is a ruckman, key position player who is really athletic. Tom Wilkinson is a hard running wingman half back that has a lot of intensity around the footy.

Brayshaw "classy" AND "workman like" - c'mon Mr Plapp, don't hedge your bets.

OAKLEIGH CHARGERS

Justin Wenke: Darcy Moore, who has just been named captain. He was nominated by the players and the committee. He will play key back and captain the club this year. We have a couple of 19 year olds, with one that has come back after limited TAC Cup experience by the name of Jack Sinclair who has only played a couple games of TAC Cup and he has had a really strong preseason. He is a midfielder that gets plenty of the ball and has the ability to go forward. Matthew Jackson is a 189cm midfielder and has a really nice kick on him and good around the clearances.

NORTHERN KNIGHTS
Who are the players to watch out for in 2014?:

Andrew Shakespeare: Garret McDonagh is a beautiful distributor of the footy by foot. Zac Ballard is a hard inside mid field, tackling machine. Aerialist Kyle Langford roams through the high forward area. Good finisher. Jason Castagna is a speedster with dazzling lateral movement. Reece McKenzie is back after a year off, plays deep forward and is capable of marking everything. Liam Hunt, 19 year old back after injury interrupted 2013. Jordan Perry also a 19 year old back after injury interrupted 2013. Sam Switkowski is a courageous midfielder and Josh Iacobaccio is the club captain.

EASTERN RANGES (I'm sure our inside man will be able to give us some more appraisals as the year goes along)

Darren Bewick: Christian Petracca will be one, he is very strong forward type who will go through the midfield this year. Daniel Nielsen is a key defender we think will develop. Luke Hannon and Matt Traynor are two midfielders we hope will develop throughout the year. There will be four or five players that give themselves a chance during the year.

CALDER CANNONS

Andrew Jago: Jake Lever has unfortunately done a knee but will likely still be in most people’s considerations come the end of year. Peter Wright, Matt Goodyear, Touk Miller and Ben Allen has just been added to the Vic Metro squad. We also have a couple coming back from injury that hopefully will attract some attention as the season moves on.

I'm sure a couple of the names appearing won't be unknown to a few people but it'll be good to see how some of these guys go throughout the year since their coaches have mentioned them.

Last edited:
And the Country sides...

BENDIGO PIONEERS

David Newitt (coach): We have some players that played as bottom age players last year in Jake Maher and Jaden McGrath, who is in the AIS. They are two of the young guys. Billy Evans has had a really good preseason as well and there are three or four other players that played last year as bottom age players and we certainly looking for those players to step up.

DANDENONG STINGRAYS

Craig Black: We have a couple of the AIS kids in Tom Lamb and Daniel Capiron, and would expect them to be good for us. This year we have a couple of kids that have not been in our program before, in Geurts, Bennett and Dale that all played senior football in the local competitions in grand finals last year. They have come in not being involved in our program before so it will be interesting to see how they go.

GEELONG FALCONS

Andrew Allthorpe: We have the AIS boys obviously with Nelson, Goddard and McCartin. The guys we hope will have a really good year are Joe Maishman, Nick Dixon, Scott Dixon, Teia Miles and Aaron Christensen have had great preseasons.

GIPPSLAND POWER

Leigh Brown: Jordan Cunico is one, he is a Traralgon boy and he will play midfield and also has the ability to play half back or forward. He is super quick, has elite skills and uses the ball well. Lukas Webb is another, we will only have him probably for the first couple of games then he goes to school footy. He is a strong midfielder but can also go half back and forward and is a smart player who reads it really well.

MURRAY BUSHRANGERS

David Ogier: We have Nick Couglan and Caleb Marchbank both played only two games each last year due to injury and both got injured in round 2 so they have not played since then. Nick is with the AIS and Caleb is training with Vic Country and are both 190cm plus guys who are athletic and talented off both feet and read the game well. Nick Mellington has also been very impressive as well.

NORTH BALLARAT REBELS

David Loader: Keegan Mason, Dan Butler, Oscar McDonald, Josh Webster are a few of our top age boys. We also have some exciting bottom age boys coming through as well. We have got a good spread across the group and hopefully will get some reasonable results.

The Pivotonian , nice job Piv.
Whats the odd's , on one the kids named being on our list next year?
Certainly a few likely sounding types but until we get a look at them it is all speculation.

We regularly grab a Falcon though (either main or rookie).

I know VC has been banging on about Pertracca…. Could be a Macaveney…. "SPECIAL…."

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know VC has been banging on about Pertracca…. Could be a Macaveney…. "SPECIAL…."

GO Catters
I think it was Vdubs

We'll also need to get Strangled Cat to work on the SA boys - some names we need him to keep an eye on would be; Sam Durdin & Jesse Watchman (Westies), Peter Bampton, Mac Bower & Ryan Reavley (Norwood), Calab Daniel (he is a South boy SC so he'll be an easy one for you) and Jack Hayes (WWT).

Last edited:
I think it was Vdubs

We'll also need to get Strangled Cat to work on the SA boys - some names we need him to keep an eye on would be; Sam Durdin & Jesse Watchman (Westies), Peter Bampton, Mac Bower & Ryan Reavley (Norwood), Calab Daniel (he is a South boy SC so he'll be an easy one for you) and Jack Hayes (WWT).
But we already know that Wells will pluck a player no one has ever heard of from no where...Keeps us all on our toes!

I think it was Vdubs

It would be good if a description of the "type" of player was made available too. i.e. Height, position played, special attributes.

It would be good if a description of the "type" of player was made available too. i.e. Height, position played, special attributes.
Ask and ye shall receive Rabs (again, this is all based on reports rather than seeing right now).

DURDIN - 196cm, key defender/ruckman. Can play forward and is supposed to be a good mark and good user of the ball.

BAMPTON - 182cm. mid. Bigger body and contested ball winner and has debuted at senior level in the SANFL already.

HAYES - 190cm, forward. Throughout the year we'll probably hear "great contested mark for his size".

WATCHMAN - 196cm, key forward and has kicked a few bags at U/18 level with West. Have read he has also been switched to defence from time to time.

BOWER - 190cm, defender/forward. Played several reserves games in the SANFL and had a day out against Centrals late in the season kicking 7 goals. Mostly played ressies as a defender though.

REAVLEY - 182cm, outside mid. Underage state rep and runner-up for Norwood's U/18 B+F last year. Coach quoted as saying "good kick of the ball".

DANIEL - 165 cm shortarse but can find the footy. Suffered an injury during a trial game at the start of the year and might be out for a little while.

Seeing, as they say, will be believing.

BOWER - 190cm, defender/forward. Played several reserves games in the SANFL and had a day out against Centrals late in the season kicking 7 goals. Mostly played ressies as a defender though.

Sounds like a potential Geelong player ..... slightly mature like Murda , is a backman who can switch and kick goals. Tell me he is a good kick , has good agility , can jump and take a mark , has speed , has been injured and will be over looked by everyone. Sounds like a possible Wells player ;)

Sounds like a potential Geelong player ..... slightly mature like Murda , is a backman who can switch and kick goals. Tell me he is a good kick , has good agility , can jump and take a mark , has speed , has been injured and will be over looked by everyone. Sounds like a possible Wells player ;)
You'll forgive me if I don't put as much stock in this attribute UNTIL Smedts starts performing more consistently. :(

Of course, there was this Twitter feed from a few days ago...

You'll forgive me if I don't put as much stock in this attribute UNTIL Smedts starts performing more consistently. :(

Of course, there was this Twitter feed from a few days ago...

Piv , if we picked Smedts just on agility then we have made a mistake. Any player for that matter. Still a very valuable talent , its just you need to have the kicking skills etc to go with it. And yes im a bit over the wait as well. Smedts need to get in , stay fit and become a solid player for us

View attachment 51146
I wonder what it would take to trade for the pick to get this kid?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-forward-saviour/story-fni5f22o-1226881315605

Been a while since we tried to do that, an Melb have shown a willingness to trade if the deal was a good for their current side.

I'd like to see them be bold and go for a special!......we've been able to sit on our laurels over the last 6 years or so but now is the time to become pro-active.
Our culture is top notch but we do need to take informed risks and trade a bit to maintain our supremacy.

I'd like to see them be bold and go for a special!......we've been able to sit on our laurels over the last 6 years or so but now is the time to become pro-active.
Our culture is top notch but we do need to take informed risks and trade a bit to maintain our supremacy.

Special ..well he looks a bit like an "Orange Roughy" , that face looks like a dont mess with me type ... Like to see him play of course

Special ..well he looks a bit like an "Orange Roughy" , that face looks like a dont mess with me type ... Like to see him play of course

Whether him or trade for a GWS or GC tall, just like to see Wells move a few on and reinvigorate the list this year, we've been able to hold back young players a bit long and just been content to have them there with slow development.
I reckon if they carn't demand a game after 3 years then you need to cut them loose, unless they're really special, otherwise we'll miss to much talent that's passing by.
And also seniors who lack consistency should be under the pump to get it right otherwise be up for trade, with free agency we'll get nothing.

Whether him or trade for a GWS or GC tall, just like to see Wells move a few on and reinvigorate the list this year, we've been able to hold back young players a bit long and just been content to have them there with slow development.
I reckon if they carn't demand a game after 3 years then you need to cut them loose, unless they're really special, otherwise we'll miss to much talent that's passing by.
And also seniors who lack consistency should be under the pump to get it right otherwise be up for trade, with free agency we'll get nothing.

I think we do that , I dont see too much on our list which is dead wood. There is a fine line between between correctly patient and being too lenient. The thing I would like us to do is get hold of more picks/players that are earlier in the draft. Especially if w can get to boost our rucks by doing it. Melb need to build a good base of solid contributers , we need to build on our solid base base by adding a couple of stars. Even though we are a fantastic development club , our last group had the likes or Corey & Bartel that came from early in the draft due to our poor finish. Our ability to rebuild without dropping has that downside to it I suppose.

So if we could trade our R1 and a player or two it may just put a bit of froth on our list. It will not be done for duds , more likely young potentially very good players that are closer to being ready to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back