2014 Potential Draftee and Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

As the article says this guy's supposed to be forward of Joe Daniher in his physical development, these are the types we need to go after even if we need to give up a senior player of a type that we have in numbers.
I reckon we need a big power forward who's also got the flexibility we're always going on about, and could play key defense like Carlisle of the bombers, this guy seems that type.
We do have a CHF issue.
We got Toohey last year and he may well make a player but I'm sure we're both talking a top 12 in the draft tall, like a Boyd or a Patton.

As the article says this guy's supposed to be forward of Joe Daniher in his physical development, these are the types we need to go after even if we need to give up a senior player of a type that we have in numbers.
I reckon we need a big power forward who's also got the flexibility we're always going on about, and could play key defense like Carlisle of the bombers, this guy seems that type.
We do have a CHF issue.
We got Toohey last year and he may well make a player but I'm sure we're both talking a top 12 in the draft tall, like a Boyd or a Patton.

Cant disagree really. Always gets down to how they are rated internally but considering the importance of a quality Ruck and or Forward and considering the age of Hawkins its close to the time of having to look at it. Give any new kid 2-3 years and he is starting bloom just as Hawks career is starting to come to a close.

Cant disagree really. Always gets down to how they are rated internally but considering the importance of a quality Ruck and or Forward and considering the age of Hawkins its close to the time of having to look at it. Give any new kid 2-3 years and he is starting bloom just as Hawks career is starting to come to a close.

What amazes me is the illogical attitude of some that like to assume the more matured bodied U18 won't make it at senior level, instead we should wait 3 years for some lesser developed kid to mature and that's better?
Generally these top 20 draftees are in that category because they are that bigger and stronger, and it's not to say they won't further develop as they mature, obviously they will, but at least you know you've got the right tools to work with.
That was one of the knocks on Dunstan, he was dominating U18's cause he was bigger, but he was already doing the business against men in senior footy, that's what the knockers failed to consider.

The real good one's never take too long because they've got the talent to go with their bigger bodies.
They say this draft is loaded with good talls, might be expedient for us to go after a couple if that's the case.

Last edited:

We do have a CHF issue.

Yes probably more Boyd than Patton but someone of that quality would be good. I can't deny there is certain satisfaction that come from "WhiteAnt" ing the comp , these late picks that develop..that we see and know but are really given no recognition till they are almost rolled gold. Kolojdashnij now for instance , give him two years and Im sure he will be another like Guthrie for us.
But a kid like Patton , has a certain whack factor. Get a kid with that much power that young , he could play in our side right now no doubt. Boyd would potentially be even better.

See Free Agency is in the news again
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-players-push-radical-free-agency-plan-20140416-zqvnu.html

Not sure , on the detail that would eventually get passed but generally Im for this idea.

Players first and foremost are AFL players. The sign the agreement to enter the draft and go where ever and personally I think of it a bit like super or long service, they have earned FA thru years of service to the comp , not just the club. Does it make any sense that a player could move under FA , and after 3 years at that club have to re enter the draft? Should a club who got an FA then get remuneration in a trade?

Of course details would have to be worked out , players currently or either UFA or RFA and certainly when a delisted player become FA after a couple of years , he shouldn't become FA for the rest of his career.

If GA wanted to come back to Geelong for instance (He won't but lets assume) he should be able to at the end of his contract.

Agree Turbo and TBH I think the article headline is a little misleading - pretty sure all the US FA models work in this way (certainly the NHL's does). Once a player has qualified for free agency, they're a free agent. To be honest I wouldn't have thought it'd be a huge problem given the length of an average AFL career - I'd guess that it's not unusual for good to great NHL players to play for another decade after they initially qualify for free agency, but I'd think for most footy players it'd be half that tops, even if they leave their first clubs as RFAs.

Early days, but Dal Santo to North will be a win. Brian Lake? not sure if FA but def a win, And looks like Matt White to PA is a win.

Whats your opinion so far on it...working or not? Goddard to Ess win / Sylvia to Freo ???? , seem not to many obvious wins to me but maybe im missing something
I think for the AFL and AFLPA it's not about the on field stuff, as stupid as that sounds. The AFL's concern is that the draft can be viewed legally as a restraint of trade - IIRC the NRL does not have a draft because a player successfully sued on those grounds in the 90s, and some AFL clubs have also been successfully sued for restraint of trade (although that was around getting games in the seniors, not the draft). Free agency gives the AFLPA what it wants (greater freedom of movement for its members) and helps put a lid on any push to abolish the draft.

From an on field perspective I think it's been fine. The doomsday scenarios painted by Eddie et al that players were going to abandon poor teams were always disingenuous (dishonest?). Yes, players might trade pay for the shot at success, as Lake basically did (wasn't a FA but could be considered what is called a rental in the NHL - an impending FA who gets traded to a team for a short term boost) but plenty will trade success for more money or a return home or some other factor. But I don't think it can have escaped McGuire's attention that, like Geelong, Collingwood had a group of premiership players it couldn't afford to pay market rates. Worth remembering that even with the discounts players took for success we still lost our best player to the worst team in the competition because he wanted more cash. In that sense FA is a great equalisation measure because good players will walk to poor clubs for more money, making them better.

thejester , Listening to the radio today ...just how many R1 player do GC and GWS have? 27 was the number I thought I heard:confused:

Let me ask , if there was one player , not get games , we were going to chase from GC and GWS who should we go after? Must be some talent not getting games. What about that Jacsch kid and KK would be great (will not get) maybe Zac Smith. Yes he is injured but the are getting used to playing without him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see this on AFL.com
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-18/whos-the-next-no1-pick

and it me wonder , who would we pick if we had #1 pick. Its only just wondering as we all know it will not happen , but it seems to me a few players that would pretty handy at the Cattery

Wright Forward Ruck
McCartin Forward and local
Goddard Forward/Back and local
Durdin Forward /Back
Smith Mid

The slightly higher need of a ruck forward probably has me leaning towards Wright , but history is littered with wasted early picks on ruckmen.
The three talls all sound good. McCartin at last years champs was very impressive. Very smart heads up footballer.
And when asking for the toughest kid in the draft several have told me Clem Smith.
Add to this SWells is his own man , Im not really sure who we would go for.

I see this on AFL.com
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-18/whos-the-next-no1-pick

and it me wonder , who would we pick if we had #1 pick. Its only just wondering as we all know it will not happen , but it seems to me a few players that would pretty handy at the Cattery

Wright Forward Ruck
McCartin Forward and local
Goddard Forward/Back and local
Durdin Forward /Back
Smith Mid

The slightly higher need of a ruck forward probably has me leaning towards Wright , but history is littered with wasted early picks on ruckmen.
The three talls all sound good. McCartin at last years champs was very impressive. Very smart heads up footballer.
And when asking for the toughest kid in the draft several have told me Clem Smith.
Add to this SWells is his own man , Im not really sure who we would go for.

Sounds like that there will be a quality kid available in the first round regardless of where you finish TC. It will be interesting to see whether Wells retains our first pick this year or seeks to trade it as part of a Dangerfield offer or for one of the highly rated GC or GWS kids that may want out.

Sounds like that there will be a quality kid available in the first round regardless of where you finish TC. It will be interesting to see whether Wells retains our first pick this year or seeks to trade it as part of a Dangerfield offer or for one of the highly rated GC or GWS kids that may want out.

Good point. The logic of trading for a kid in system up at GWS for eg make sense *** as long as its the right kid. Not sure Id be giving them more R1 picks for a kid that cant force their way into their best 22

Good point. The logic of trading for a kid in system up at GWS for eg make sense *** as long as its the right kid. Not sure Id be giving them more R1 picks for a kid that cant force their way into their best 22

A kid with homesickness may not be getting the most out of himself. Or a KP player like Jaksch may take longer to develop than others who are already seeing regular senior game time. Either way it may mean that we can land one of these kids for slight unders.

I think we would be less likely to consider trading our pick if we finish with a top 10 pick. Though that all goes out the window if Dangerfield indicates a desire to return to Victoria.

A kid with homesickness may not be getting the most out of himself. Or a KP player like Jaksch may take longer to develop than others who are already seeing regular senior game time. Either way it may mean that we can land one of these kids for slight unders.

I think we would be less likely to consider trading our pick if we finish with a top 10 pick. Though that all goes out the window if Dangerfield indicates a desire to return to Victoria.

The thing with top 10 picks however is you clearly need to finish lower. If the wheels come off then I can see that happening…but at 4-0 we would need to go very south. Using the pick as fodder for trade is essential I feel and having the weight in the pick even more so. WE saw that with Adams we didn't had enough. Hopefully a Danger or other lost Victorian should goes our way but I think its an uphill battle… but one probably worth trying for….

Go Catters

The thing with top 10 picks however is you clearly need to finish lower. If the wheels come off then I can see that happening…but at 4-0 we would need to go very south. Using the pick as fodder for trade is essential I feel and having the weight in the pick even more so. WE saw that with Adams we didn't had enough. Hopefully a Danger or other lost Victorian should goes our way but I think its an uphill battle… but one probably worth trying for….

Go Catters

I agree if we want to go down that path , it seem the pick around 16 or so is borderline meaningless to get high end quality. But at some stage the Melb clubs have got to stop being Mr Nice Guy with these new clubs. There is no way we should be trading our R1 16/18/20 what ever for a kid that cant get a game for them. Caddy and Adams both were getting regular games.

An interesting name to keep an eye out for is Central Districts Josh Glenn.

Last year he decided not to nominate for the draft despite being a very promising type (he is a midfielder). Central were, by all accounts, keen for him to go to the draft combine but didn't push the kid.

Today against the Adelaide Crows reserves side (that is playing in the SANFL this year) Glenn was Central's highest possie winner with 29 touches & 12 marks.

An interesting name to keep an eye out for is Central Districts Josh Glenn.

Last year he decided not to nominate for the draft despite being a very promising type (he is a midfielder). Central were, by all accounts, keen for him to go to the draft combine but didn't push the kid.

Today against the Adelaide Crows reserves side (that is playing in the SANFL this year) Glenn was Central's highest possie winner with 29 touches & 12 marks.

Sounds like someone that will end up at the Crows Piv

Remove this Banner Ad

Back