NFL 2014 Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Money ruins everything. Goodell/owners ruining the balance and beauty of the game to engage external/indirect things. Can't see how gambling is any different to their embracing of fantasy football. It's also akin to the NFL changing the rules of the game because of the popularity of Madden video gaming, changing a rule in the game to mimic something seen in Madden. Life imitating art.

-------------

Sherman reiterates belief that new rules emphasis won’t affect Seahawks
Posted by Mike Florio on August 26, 2014, 7:22 AM EDT
sherman1.jpg
AP
Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman consistently has claimed that the NFL’s decision to emphasize illegal contact and defensive holding will not affect the defending Super Bowl champions.

Most recently, Sherman reiterated his position during an interview with NBC’s Josh Elliott.

“I don’t think it’ll affect our game at all,” Sherman said. “We’ve been playing at the line of scrimmage. And those rules have always been in place. I think they’ll affect other teams a little bit more. If you look at the statistics, the way the preseason has gone, it’s rarely ever affected us in a game.”

While the rules actually have been in place for fewer than 40 years, he’s right about the stats. The Seahawks haven’t seen many of the flags that have been plaguing other teams this preseason, which suggests that Pete Carroll and company already have adjusted.

“I think the point of emphasis is what it is,” Sherman added. “But I think it’s a little bit more, you know, of the league trying to mandate, a playing style which is interesting. When the fantasy football numbers need to be what they need to be, then the league needs to do what it needs to do to get it done. This is a money-driven league. So whatever sells the tickets is gonna sell the tickets.”

Asked specifically whether fantasy football played a role in the point of emphasis, Sherman didn’t hesitate.

“Selling tickets is the number one concern,” Sherman said. And fantasy football is a phase of that. That is the next billion dollar industry that they’re gonna protect.”

There’s some merit to Sherman’s reasoning, even if the NFL never would actually admit it. With fans now able to stay home and watch an endless stream of scoring on the RedZone channel, fans are less inclined to focus on only one game. Which is precisely what happens when buying a ticket to attend only one game.

Mankins traded to Tampa Bay for a 4th round pick and Tim Wright.

Tim Wright just became a shitload more interesting in fantasy, but I can't believe the Pats got rid of Mankins. After Brady he's the one I've thought of as the ultimate Pat.

Breaking news....

Seahawks fined 300k for violating cba non contact rules.

also..... Seahawks lose first two days of 2015 minicamp. Can have one 2.5-hour practice on final day. Players will be paid for lost time. per Tom Pelissero (USA Today)

Tim Wright just became a shitload more interesting in fantasy, but I can't believe the Pats got rid of Mankins. After Brady he's the one I've thought of as the ultimate Pat.
He threw a major bitchfit during his last contract extension. Ultimately, it's not surprising to see this outcome given his cap hit.

Personally, I think this could be a good trade for both teams. Tampa needs major help on the interior line, the Patriots are flush with young, up and coming linemen and needed serious help at the Tight End position. Wright may be able to fill Hernandez's role as the H-Back.

It should be interesting to see how this one pans out. Given verbiage, OL isn't a simple plug and play assignment like the DL.

Looks like Richie Incognito won't be playing for the Bucs then.
IMO, the Bucs should add Richie Incognitio to compliment the acquisition of Logan Mankins. A Mankins LG - Incognito RG combination is significantly better than their current line-up. It would also give McCown a chance to stay upright and put Doug Martin in the 1500 yard season calculation given both are excellent run blockers.

Looks like Richie Incognito won't be playing for the Bucs then.
Incognito's still a chance. They'll make him sweat a bit before they do anything.

And being a veteran, missing some preseason, shouldn't hurt him as much.

Just finished watching Hard Knocks ep 3***spoilers ahead**** and god damn does this team love to get in fights. Douglas taking a swing Swearinger, as if that guy needs an excuse to knock you out.
But but but, the Falcons have a no dickhead policy :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Gordon's one year ban upheld by the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/27/source-nfl-upholds-josh-gordon-suspension/

Josh Gordon statement 'I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing office didn't exercise better discretion and judgment in my case'"

Pity he didn't exercise better discretion and judgment himself. He could have avoided the whole situation.
The "one year" not 16 game suspension means he'll miss all of next years training camp as well.

The "one year" not 16 game suspension means he'll miss all of next years training camp as well.

People really need to stop reading Mike Florio, because this statement is NOT TRUE.

This is not a calendar year suspension/12 month suspension. This is an 'indefinite suspension, minimum 1 season'. He has the right to ask the league to reinstate him at the start of the league year in 2015 before training camp and OTA's. To do this, he has to show positive steps taken towards rehabilitation and a commitment to change. If he does this, then it is very unlikely that he misses training camp next year unless he messes up again.

Will be interesting to see whether any of the conditions are relaxed - being allowed at the facilities or allowing the Browns involvement in his rehab. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised to see legal action. The fact that it dragged out this long for no result is a bit of a joke.

Will be interesting to see whether any of the conditions are relaxed - being allowed at the facilities or allowing the Browns involvement in his rehab. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised to see legal action. The fact that it dragged out this long for no result is a bit of a joke.

Agreed. The process has been a joke. But the findings/outcome are "100% in line with the NFL's substance abuse program, which was agreed to by the NFLPA. Gordon's repeated offenses made this happen. it is not an arbitrary number."

Goodall is embarrassed by the Rice suspension.NFL will go all mean mo fo for a while

Josh Gordon's one year ban upheld by the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/27/source-nfl-upholds-josh-gordon-suspension/

Josh Gordon statement 'I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing office didn't exercise better discretion and judgment in my case'"

Pity he didn't exercise better discretion and judgment himself. He could have avoided the whole situation.
Exactly. A soon as I read that line from him I thought FFS mate, someone needed better discretion and judgment and it wasn't the NFL. I have serious doubts the guy gets through a year without getting in to trouble again.

The tears in Cleveland are staring to flow - from the Plain Dealer

"
BEREA, Ohio – In the case of Josh Gordon versus the NFL, everyone got what they deserved.
Everyone, that is, except fans who lost a once-in-a-generation talent with no guarantees of seeing him again unless he commits to sobriety.
Gordon, the Browns, the league and its players union all have been bloodied by the receiver's indefinite suspension from the NFL for violating its substance-abuse policy. The All Pro will miss at least the 2014 season after an arbitrator granted him no relief in an appeal that dragged on like so many losing Browns campaigns.
There's plenty of justified outrage. My sympathies, however, are reserved only for the fans. The reputations of almost everybody else have been tarnished.
Gordon released a statement through the players union apologizing to the Browns and their fans, while also admonishing the league and "its hearing office" for not exercising "better discretion and judgment" in the case.
There are pro-marijuana supporters choking on their bong hits reading those words. Seriously, how many failed drug tests and lifelines does one player require?
If Gordon wasn't one of the best receivers in football his career would have ended in college because of his drug problems at Baylor and Utah. Instead, the Browns made him a second-round pick in the 2012 supplemental draft. He was supposed to be suspended for four games to start the 2013 season after testing positive for codeine but the NFL reduced the ban to two games and four missed game checks.
Gordon led the NFL in receiving yards and broke numerous franchise records last year. He made the Pro Bowl and gave the franchise hope it had a weapon on which to build an offense around. So much goodwill generated. So much potential realized. Then, he threw it away again.
The NFL is teeming with players and coaches who make the best of second chances. Teammate Armonty Bryant, arrested twice for drug and alcohol violations before arriving in Berea, was so concerned about falling back with the wrong crowd the second-year player spent the entire off-season in Cleveland.
Gordon, meanwhile, said his latest failed test is the result of second-hand smoke. If you're in Stage 3 of the league's drug program – one strike from a season-long ban and the loss of countless millions in a contract extension – why would anyone put themselves in such environs?
Even after news of his suspension broke on May 9, he was stopped for speeding in Strongsville over Memorial Day Weekend, and the officer smelled marijuana in the car. One of his three passengers was cited for possession. Two months later, police in North Carolina arrested him for drunk driving.
Not exactly the actions of a player trying to get his priorities in order. Gordon must return to in-patient rehab while his agent and attorney likely pursue litigation against the league.
His positive test was barely over the limit – 15 nanograms of the banned substance in marijuana per milliliter – agreed upon by the league and its players union. According the Gordon's lawyers, their client's "B" test -- a quality-control specimen used to confirm a positive "A" test – was under the NFL threshold.
If the other sample had been tested first Gordon and the Browns wouldn't be facing an uncertain future. The larger issue, however, is Gordon broke a bad law. The NFL and the players association should have raised its threshold years ago. Some pro leagues do not even test for marijuana. Olympic athletes recently saw their allowable nanograms increased from 15 to a generous 150.
The league should be focused on catching performance-enhancing cheats, not pot smokers. Some players admit using it to relieve the stress and pain accompanying this violent sport. You can argue their motives, but it's hard to debate the growing support for legalizing weed. Look at national polls. Look at the trend across the nation. Two states, Colorado and Washington, have legalized it; and more than 20 others, along with Washington D.C., allow some medical use of the drug.
It's not 1964, folks. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith need to sit together and watch Pleasantville, a black-and-white world releasing its inhibitions to the strains of Etta James' "At Last."

Would the column have been different if it was a receiver in say Jacksonville that was at fault.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back