Analysis 2014 Preseason & Rookie Draft

Freo Dr

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would think they should target a player who could be back pocket small defender or a long shot tall like Tabs was.
Not sure Kietel is the man, certainly the highlights of Jesse Watchman seem better. My fav. WA boys would be Yarran or Marcus Adams.

couldhavebeen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
Watchman is better IMHO than Keitel and we would have the perfect Pav replacement in 2 years

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't think Loersch is the prospect some you think he is. Rightly or wrongly I'll be extremely surprised if we pick him up.

He's an overage monster, huge compared to the kids he's playing on. This is his first season at South freo after moving from Peel. He played 4 reserve games for peel and judging on stats alone he somewhat struggled. Not sure he is really in serious draft discussions for us tbh.

couldhavebeen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
Shannon Taylor 178 cm ,74 kgs sounds small and light but his video highlights will get everyone excited .
Spurling or Watchman would be a good pick up if either is still available when we get to our selection .

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Are we taking any one in the pre-season draft? Usually it's public knowledge, i thought?

Mr Fonebone

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Ham
AFL.COM has released the PSD and RD orders and surprisingly we are down as having 3 picks, 13, 31 and 48. I thought it was only two.

Talls available ( here we go again ) McLaren, Buykx-Smith, Hartley, Bevan, De Grice, Creeper, Cripps, Keitel, Watchman, Payne, Hammelman, Uebergang

I like the look of Sean McLaren

Sean McLaren

Position: Utility
Height: 197 cm, Weight: 92 kg
Club: Sandringham Dragons

Sean McLaren’s two finals games were very impressive. He’s was an influential target up forward for Sandringham, whilst his tap work in the ruck was a big reason the Dragons dominated clearances through the finals series. The promising young key position prospect is raw in facets, but blessed in other areas. He has a terrific leap, is aggressive and marks very well. He has an element of excitement in his game, with has versatility to play at both ends of the ground and through the ruck incredibly valuable.

When pitted against opposition talls, McLaren uses his long arms to spoil and reach around to kill the ball. He’s quite similar to Collingwood’s Lachie Keeffe, given that he is quite agile and athletic, has strong closing speed that often allows him to take defensive marks and is very clean at ground level. He has a good mix of size, speed and endurance and is now coming to terms that he can have a huge impact a game. McLaren was rated as a stand out character during the AFL-AIS tour of Europe early in the year.

Frank J Moose

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2012
Brownes Stadium
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Buffalo
AFL.COM has released the PSD and RD orders and surprisingly we are down as having 3 picks, 13, 31 and 48. I thought it was only two.
it seems the AFL includes the Cat B rookies that clubs have signed as a pick. Many clubs in that released article have too many picks listed for them. Accordind to my records they are the clubs that signed a Cat B. The AFL is useless at getting info out that the tragics want.

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
it seems the AFL includes the Cat B rookies that clubs have signed as a pick. Many clubs in that released article have too many picks listed for them. Accordind to my records they are the clubs that signed a Cat B. The AFL is useless at getting info out that the tragics want.

Didn't we delist three ?
tanner Smith, Menegola and Michael Wood.

OOPS: Tanner wasn't on the rookie list.

manpurple

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle

If I am not mistaken we delisted 3 rookies (Howson, Schlothie, Mellington) last year and promoted 1 (Tabs). Then we took 3 in the rookie draft (please note Cat B rookies don't count as they have their own rules). In theory this left us with 1 extra spot unfilled last year.

Frank J Moose

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2012
Brownes Stadium
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Buffalo
We only have two picks. Currently Vanderluer and Ballard are rookies. There are 40 on our main list. If you have 40 on your list You can have 4 rookies. as we already have 2 that leaves 2 picks. The AFL have released we have three picks as the last will be confirming Hurley to the Cat B list, joining Moller there.

Talls available ( here we go again ) McLaren, Buykx-Smith, Hartley, Bevan, De Grice, Creeper, Cripps, Keitel, Watchman, Payne, Hammelman, Uebergang

Brisbane committed to taking Hammelman I thought (Academy player)

Back