2014 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Would want to be ruddy good players if they were Ruffles!!
Agreed. I doubt that Mt Gravatt will be as poor as this the whole year which makes you wonder what Palm Beach have to offer this year. Could be looking at a pretty strong darkhorse.

I think you will
Find Smy
Yeah reckon Gravatt might be in the bottom 3 Ruffles - have been very ordinary in the preseason - rolled comprehensively by Mayne.
i think you will find Smy that was UQ not Mt Gravatt that Mayne beat in a pre season match, surprising result for me on weekend as they only got best by a kick against Maggie's last weekend. Any other results from last weekend

I think you will
Find Smy

i think you will find Smy that was UQ not Mt Gravatt that Mayne beat in a pre season match, surprising result for me on weekend as they only got best by a kick against Maggie's last weekend. Any other results from last weekend
maggies should have beaten them by more but...

I think you will
Find Smy

Nah - Mayne beat them too Bungles in the 1st prac match i think you will find. Tigers also beat UQ though.

L
I think you will
Find Smy

Labrador played Sandgate, tigers were about 11 goals up when I left during the last qtr, pretty scrappy affair at times.

Thanks Smy didn't realize that, sounds like a tough year up there at MG.
My selections
1. Morningside
2. Labrador
3. Maggie's
4. PBC
5. WG
6.Broady
7. Surfers
8. Sandgate
9. MG
10 UQ
Without seeing to much in pre season games here's a guess??

My selections
1. Morningside
2. Labrador
3. Maggie's
4. PBC
5. WG
6.Broady
7. Surfers
8. Sandgate
9. MG
10 UQ

i will have a go....
1. Morningside
2. Labrador
3. PBC
4. Broady
5. W Maggies
6. Grange
7. MG
8. Demons
9.Sandgate
10 UQ

My selections
1. Morningside
2. Labrador
3. Maggie's
4. PBC
5. WG
6.Broady
7. Surfers
8. Sandgate
9. MG
10 UQ
PBC v Surfers PBC by 10 goals
Sandgate v Uni Sandgate by 5 goals
W Grange v Maggies W Grange in a close one
Broadbeach v MT Gravatt Broadbeach by heaps
Labrador v Morningside Morningside by 8 goals

With the link with Southport pretty strong reckon that SP might be okay.

1. Morningside
2.Palm Beach
3 Labrador
4 Surfers Paradise
5 Broadbeach
6 W/Grange
7 Sandgate
8 Magpies
9 MtGravatt
10 Uni

Yeah reckon Gravatt might be in the bottom 3 Ruffles - have been very ordinary in the preseason - rolled comprehensively by Mayne.
Agree, having talked to some of the lads at the Vultures they will struggle. Have lost just about all their seniors players of note to other NEAFL teams and these players are pretty much starters for thier NEAL side (EG Scott brothers, Estell etc) so next to no chance of seeing them back even though they are listed with Vultures as thier home club. One expression I heard is "if you thought they were a young team last year you should see them this year." Quite a few of thier U18 winning team last year have moved straight into the Top Grade. Who knows hopefully improve as season moves on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, having talked to some of the lads at the Vultures they will struggle. Have lost just about all their seniors players of note to other NEAFL teams and these players are pretty much starters for thier NEAL side (EG Scott brothers, Estell etc) so next to no chance of seeing them back even though they are listed with Vultures as thier home club. One expression I heard is "if you thought they were a young team last year you should see them this year." Quite a few of thier U18 winning team last year have moved straight into the Top Grade. Who knows hopefully improve as season moves on.
Luke Scott is linked back to the Maggies
Vultures should see alot of Boon and Green

Its a romantic notion playing kids I always find. Its really an AFL scenario where players sign for 2-5 years. At lower levels most clubs are happy to get a year out of their young blokes bc they move on for bigger comps, uni, work, other interests. Very difficult to keep a good u18 group together for 3-5 years which is the time it will take for these guys to be a nuisance in a senior comp. Appreciate the Vultures probably have no alternative due to $$.

Geez, ive just look at the selected sides, and my club , (Broady) in comparsion to last season, have 7 regulars named, 4 fringe players, and the rest are the youngsters from the ressies and under 18s. Certainly we will not be dominant as first thought because we were at Neafl level. I think we will battle to make the top 5..... Morningsides list is very different as well, but still enough there to predict they are the club to beat...... 2 darkhorses; I feel will be Labrador and Palm Beach.

On a different footy arena, see round one of the Ovens and Murray league features the gun clubs, Albury Tigers ( My old club in my playing days) vs Yarrawonga.Predictions are for a crowd of some 5000...plus.Now this is the beauty of these 2 clubs running it as a business. Many posters bag these 2 clubs cause they have the funds to operate their business and pay players handsomely.... but do some rough sums here...... a home and away match attracting some 5000, firstly gate takings at $8 per head equates to 40k. but lets reduce that because of pensioners, students and kids under 12 for reduced fees or for free.So bring that back to say 3500 paying patrons,,,, equates to 28k. Add to that the bar , kiosk, Bbq and raffles, which would have to equate to say an average of say at least $20 per head, resulting in some 70k revenue. Thus rough total of of some 98k of gross revenue.In addition the only cost is the wholesale cost of the food and beverages, no labour costs as it is all volunteer work.So huge amounts of revenue to the clubs coffers...... Albury Tigers and Yarrawonga have brought the game to another leval in this league, and must be acknowledged for this, not bagged,!!!

On a different footy arena, see round one of the Ovens and Murray league features the gun clubs, Albury Tigers ( My old club in my playing days) vs Yarrawonga.Predictions are for a crowd of some 5000...plus.Now this is the beauty of these 2 clubs running it as a business. Many posters bag these 2 clubs cause they have the funds to operate their business and pay players handsomely.... but do some rough sums here...... a home and away match attracting some 5000, firstly gate takings at $8 per head equates to 40k. but lets reduce that because of pensioners, students and kids under 12 for reduced fees or for free.So bring that back to say 3500 paying patrons,,,, equates to 28k. Add to that the bar , kiosk, Bbq and raffles, which would have to equate to say an average of say at least $20 per head, resulting in some 70k revenue. Thus rough total of of some 98k of gross revenue.In addition the only cost is the wholesale cost of the food and beverages, no labour costs as it is all volunteer work.So huge amounts of revenue to the clubs coffers...... Albury Tigers and Yarrawonga have brought the game to another leval in this league, and must be acknowledged for this, not bagged,!!!

That's great but this isn't realistically possible with an inner city league like the QAFL and Brisbane. With the Ovens and Murray you are looking at clubs within country towns. For a lot of people in those areas, going to their local football game is their weekend activity and major weekly attraction of the town. There's no Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, Queensland Reds, Queensland Roar to compete with. Correct me if I'm wrong but in speaking with some past players/supporters of the comp, with it being in regional areas, the towns are much more well connected and are naturally drawn into the clubs. That won't really happen in a place like Brisbane where there's no real boundaries between city centres that forces an allegiance onto anything. I'm sure if you ask someone living barely a few hundred metres from a QAFL homeground 'which team plays there and what competition are they in?' the majority wouldn't be able to tell you.

Also, not sure where this statement is coming from - haven't heard a thing about the ovens & murray league in this thread.

Im sure those donating their time to man the bar/canteen are super impressed by a bloke getting 5k for a one off game

You can't say "see they run it as a business and thus are successful" with a straight face when still relying on quality clib people to do the actual work on the day

15 year old Brad Scheer making his debut today for PBC as their youngest ever player should be interesting to see how he goes, very talented and has really impressed creswell over the pre season

That's great but this isn't realistically possible with an inner city league like the QAFL and Brisbane. With the Ovens and Murray you are looking at clubs within country towns. For a lot of people in those areas, going to their local football game is their weekend activity and major weekly attraction of the town. There's no Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, Queensland Reds, Queensland Roar to compete with. Correct me if I'm wrong but in speaking with some past players/supporters of the comp, with it being in regional areas, the towns are much more well connected and are naturally drawn into the clubs. That won't really happen in a place like Brisbane where there's no real boundaries between city centres that forces an allegiance onto anything. I'm sure if you ask someone living barely a few hundred metres from a QAFL homeground 'which team plays there and what competition are they in?' the majority wouldn't be able to tell you.

Also, not sure where this statement is coming from - haven't heard a thing about the ovens & murray league in this thread.

Similar story in the Geelong and Bellarine comps where I spend a bit of time. Last Easter there was a combined total of about 8000 spectators watching a Torquay then a Geelong VFL match. The Geelong blokes reckon their local comp is as strong as O & M. The point is that the entire local community is behind the local comp which is not the case in suburban Brisbane. As Ruffles says, a lot of people dont know and dont care about the local AFL club, often because they follow league or maybe union. Pity, but that's the way it is up here. BTW, Ty Zantuck signed with Torquay this year- some might remember him playing for Zillmere post-AFL a few years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back