2014 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey Billy,
In your first post on this topic, you made reference to the qafl as being a 2nd rate comp, yet in your second post, you say that it's become stronger with the trickle down effect--- so which is it?
And how can the neafl be claimed as "our" elite comp when we only have 3 sides in it? How, as you put it, does this strengthen qld footy in general? All that's happened is that the aflq have rearranged the deck chairs.
Smy, when all these players from around Australia come to play for these 3 elite clubs, where do you think they will go when they can't cut the mustard at that level anymore-- that's right, they'll go back to where they came from to grab the cash at some lower level league in their home state because there isn't that opportunity here ( in most cases).
Johnny Demon's post is the real issue here and his point was very well made. The only way to increase the talent pool in qld is through increased participation and unearthing new talent from within this state. This will obviously take some time and considerable effort from aflq but, in the meantime at least avoid placing silly obstacles (criterias) that result in lopsided competitions below qafl level.

Twinkle_Toes,

2nd Rate meaning the 1 level below the NEAFL Comp - not a 2nd Rate meaning not worth pi--ing on, I acknowledge that the QAFL is extremely important in the scheme of things in Qld footy and surely you can work out how the QAFL has got a great deal stronger because of the NEAFL version 2 being put in place, it has a four team increase from when the NEAFL version 1 was operating.
The NEAFL version 2 which agreed has only 3 Qld Sides playing in it is as close to playing in a top tier league without relocating from home to play at a standard that is currently well above the current QAFL standard - the comments relating to the NEAFL comp as pointed out is by disgruntled QAFL supporters who still believe that their footy club should be playing in the NEAFL (with the AFL paying).

Unearthing new talent, now that is a conundrum in itself, not to mention such to increase the talent pool here in QLD, if you can work this out you will be a genius. Mark Browning has been full time on this issue and occasionally he plucks a diamond out of the coal. The only way to make Qld AFL more competitive to the other traditional states is to play at a level as high as you can - so really the 3 NEAFL sides should have a whole state to choose from, but because of the negativity of most club telling there talented players including kids they would not get a go at the NEAFL level through pure selfishness, is the thing that is curbing the standard of footy in this state.
to be the best you have test yourself against the best, otherwise you are just an above average player happy with second best.

Billy

Your past 2 posts could have been mistaken as media releases provided by the NEAFL public relations consultant (spin).

Your final sentence though is enough for me. Statements like that are offensive to the many players, who are good enough, but choose to play at AFLQ level for whatever reason and to the Clubs who chose to be in the AFLQ, for whatever reason. And there's plenty of them. If you don't think that some of the those players could be playing NEAFL you are delusional and, in all probability, an AFLQ or NEAFL official who feels the need to flag wave. (I note you referred to Mark Browning). Ryan Davey would walk into any NEAFL side. He is surely not "an average player happy with second best". There's plenty of others.

Clubs are/will be going out the back door by competing in your elite competition. It is unsustainable to have community football clubs (from both a financial and HR position),working their backsides off to raise money to prop up a quasi AFL reserves grade competition. If you don't believe this, watch how many clubs pull the pin. There are a number of clubs who will be considering their position. Better for a Club to be alive and in QAFL than provide match practice in NEAFL and disappear.

Queensland had more kids drafted out of the state before NEAFL, so don't wave this nonsense that the competition gives kids a better chance. Our drafting glory years are well in the past - I hope that NEAFL produces them, but it hasn't yet.

How do they fix that? I don't have all the answers. What I do know is we drafted more kids when we had a State Carnival - and not the Lions/Suns Academies. The old Bushranger, Stingrays, Power, etc competition had more participants - which meant more kids stayed playing football longer. Kids got a rep jumper and thought they belonged. Now a rep jumper is limited to around 50 kids, so its easier for kids to fall through the cracks and drop out of the game. The Under 18 format this year combines 3 competitions, so out of all the participants, just 2 clubs will be play in a Grand Final. The huge majority wont play finals football at all and I'm not sure that this will be good for participation numbers next year. See you talk elite, I'm looking at the long term future of the game and that's participation.

As for the NEAFL, I have enjoyed watching a few games, but frankly, the games I have seen have been devoid of any atmosphere.

And if you don't get that the competition is compromised, then your delusion is confirmed.

* You have a 14 team competition, yet all teams don't play each other, yet the Qld Clubs play each other 3 teams
* Salary Caps are different for different clubs
* Professional players with professional support play part timers with volunteers
* AFL Clubs have earned a reputation for dropping out of the comp come the end of the year if their seniors aren't playing finals (Lions effort last year noted) making a mockery of the comp.
* You may have a situation this year where Aspley may meet the Swans in the NEAFL Grand Final - but have never played each other all year.
* Southport will in all probability miss out on the finals this year because of the sweet draw offered to the Canberra based Clubs. Ainslie will finish above them, yet Southport beat them by 78 points last time they met. They clearly aren't the 6th best team in the elite competition.

I hope that NEAFL will be a success but I'm sure that QAFL will be. QAFL however is what most clubs are about - community based.
If clubs rich by the virtue of gaming - the social scourge of society - are willing to cough up the finances to allow them to compete in this elite competition, I wish them well. I will continue to watch with interest and go to games where possible. I like the football even though I know that its make up is compromised. However, lets bring a little reality back into the discussion and lay off those who choose, or have chosen, not to play in it.

I thought this was a QAFL forum!

Billy

Your past 2 posts could have been mistaken as media releases provided by the NEAFL public relations consultant (spin).

Your final sentence though is enough for me. Statements like that are offensive to the many players, who are good enough, but choose to play at AFLQ level for whatever reason and to the Clubs who chose to be in the AFLQ, for whatever reason. And there's plenty of them. If you don't think that some of the those players could be playing NEAFL you are delusional and, in all probability, an AFLQ or NEAFL official who feels the need to flag wave. (I note you referred to Mark Browning). Ryan Davey would walk into any NEAFL side. He is surely not "an average player happy with second best". There's plenty of others.

Clubs are/will be going out the back door by competing in your elite competition. It is unsustainable to have community football clubs (from both a financial and HR position),working their backsides off to raise money to prop up a quasi AFL reserves grade competition. If you don't believe this, watch how many clubs pull the pin. There are a number of clubs who will be considering their position. Better for a Club to be alive and in QAFL than provide match practice in NEAFL and disappear.

Queensland had more kids drafted out of the state before NEAFL, so don't wave this nonsense that the competition gives kids a better chance. Our drafting glory years are well in the past - I hope that NEAFL produces them, but it hasn't yet.

How do they fix that? I don't have all the answers. What I do know is we drafted more kids when we had a State Carnival - and not the Lions/Suns Academies. The old Bushranger, Stingrays, Power, etc competition had more participants - which meant more kids stayed playing football longer. Kids got a rep jumper and thought they belonged. Now a rep jumper is limited to around 50 kids, so its easier for kids to fall through the cracks and drop out of the game. The Under 18 format this year combines 3 competitions, so out of all the participants, just 2 clubs will be play in a Grand Final. The huge majority wont play finals football at all and I'm not sure that this will be good for participation numbers next year. See you talk elite, I'm looking at the long term future of the game and that's participation.

As for the NEAFL, I have enjoyed watching a few games, but frankly, the games I have seen have been devoid of any atmosphere.

And if you don't get that the competition is compromised, then your delusion is confirmed.

* You have a 14 team competition, yet all teams don't play each other, yet the Qld Clubs play each other 3 teams
* Professional players with professional support play part timers with volunteers
* AFL Clubs have earned a reputation for dropping out of the comp come the end of the year if their seniors aren't playing finals (Lions effort last year noted) making a mockery of the comp.
* You may have a situation this year where Aspley may meet the Swans in the NEAFL Grand Final - but have never played each other all year.
* Southport will in all probability miss out on the finals this year because of the sweet draw offered to the Canberra based Clubs. Ainslie will finish above them, yet Southport beat them by 78 points last time they met. They clearly aren't the 6th best team in the elite competition.

I hope that NEAFL will be a success but I'm sure that QAFL will be. QAFL however is what most clubs are about - community based.
If clubs rich by the virtue of gaming - the social scourge of society - are willing to cough up the finances to allow them to compete in this elite competition, I wish them well. I will continue to watch with interest and go to games where possible. I like the football even though I know that its make up is compromised. However, lets bring a little reality back into the discussion and lay off those who choose, or have chosen, not to play in it.

I hear what Billy, Smy etc are saying and agree on some of there comments,but must say I fully agree with Yesterdays comments.(above).The comp is a mess. AS ive said before, the overall standard is not as good as the past 3 seasons.Yes, the 3 qld clubs have picked up the cream of the bunch from Broady, Labrador etc, but they also lost some gun players in the off season.Thus , these clubs haven't improved that much.
If you take into account the premiers of the past 3 seasons, be it the Lions and Thunder , I feel these premiership winning sides would beat the top sides in the comp today.Also, agree, that the crowd attendances have dropped even further, I mean the NEAFL games are lucky to have 200 people attend.You get that sort of crowd in the lower levels that have passion for their club and thus create atmosphere at the game.I attended the Southport vs Aspley game at Southport on a sunday two weeks ago, and geez, there wouldn't of been 200 people there.
The geographics of the comp are to hard for clubs, as are the financial costs to continue in the current comp format.
Also, we get excited because 7 QLD youngsters have been nominated for the draft combine ...Yeah, that's good, but Geez, this is no achievement compared to NSW have 14 players invited.One would think the QLD footy comp would provide more players then NSW in this area.

Billy

I am no official far from it - in fact I have on occasions been very outspoken about the AFLQ System.

Your final sentence though is enough for me. Statements like that are offensive to the many players, who are good enough, but choose to play at AFLQ level for whatever reason and to the Clubs who chose to be in the AFLQ, for whatever reason. And there's plenty of them. If you don't think that some of the those players could be playing NEAFL you are delusional and, in all probability, an AFLQ or NEAFL official who feels the need to flag wave. (I note you referred to Mark Browning). Ryan Davey would walk into any NEAFL side. He is surely not "an average player happy with second best". There's plenty of others. The reason the NEAFL is maybe not as good as it could be - Is just as you stated quite a lot of current QAFL footballers could walk into any NEAFL side of their choice - they simply don't choose to - this is IMO is a life style decision so until they step up to play at a higher level they are just great players in their chosen Comp - nothing more. All NEAFL clubs should be inundated with players wanting to have a crack, until you do you never know - I would assume the reason their is no quasi NEAFL Reserve grade is to protect the fabric of the QAFL competition, which again in my opinion has to many sides within this comp to make it truly competitive - some could say that this to presently it is compromised.

Clubs are/will be going out the back door by competing in your elite competition. It is unsustainable to have community football clubs (from both a financial and HR position),working their backsides off to raise money to prop up a quasi AFL reserves grade competition. If you don't believe this, watch how many clubs pull the pin. There are a number of clubs who will be considering their position. Better for a Club to be alive and in QAFL than provide match practice in NEAFL and disappear. Sounds like another excuse to me, it just means more chook raffles - fund raising, alliances other sporting clubs, with more sponsorship's and more people with the passion to make it want to happen.

Queensland had more kids drafted out of the state before NEAFL, so don't wave this nonsense that the competition gives kids a better chance. Our drafting glory years are well in the past - I hope that NEAFL produces them, but it hasn't yet. This comp is is its infancy and the kids that can play at this level will stay drafted and not dropped off after a season of mediocre performances when up against 2nd tier AFL Sides.

How do they fix that? I don't have all the answers. What I do know is we drafted more kids when we had a State Carnival - and not the Lions/Suns Academies. The old Bushrangers, Stingrays, Power, etc competition had more participants - which meant more kids stayed playing football longer. Kids got a rep jumper and thought they belonged. Now a rep jumper is limited to around 50 kids, so its easier for kids to fall through the cracks and drop out of the game. The Under 18 format this year combines 3 competitions, so out of all the participants, just 2 clubs will be play in a Grand Final. The huge majority wont play finals football at all and I'm not sure that this will be good for participation numbers next year. See you talk elite, I'm looking at the long term future of the game and that's participation. This system is not perfect, I agree, but as you know - If the cream does not rise to the top when the coffee is ready then it goes sour and that is what happens with our young guys who should have made a list but did not perform at the right time on the so called big stage - there are plenty who have gone on and made it and their are plenty more who have been given the chance and then the flick as well.

As for the NEAFL, I have enjoyed watching a few games, but frankly, the games I have seen have been devoid of any atmosphere. Yes but then it is played when most other comps are being played, their are only a sparse number of AFL supporters up here in Qld and due to the LION's and SUN's efforts of late they are dwindling very quickly.

And if you don't get that the competition is compromised, then your delusion is confirmed. Again I agree that the comp is somewhat compromised, especially with the AFL reserve sides not playing all others - this will change once the final NEAFL version 3 is announced (I am guessing) as the AFL has decided that this concept is the only way and they will make it work no matter what.

If clubs rich by the virtue of gaming - the social scourge of society - are willing to cough up the finances to allow them to compete in this elite competition, I wish them well. I will continue to watch with interest and go to games where possible. I like the football even though I know that its make up is compromised. However, lets bring a little reality back into the discussion and lay off those who choose, or have chosen, not to play in it. Finally we agree on something, I and a lot of others hope that the NEAFL will work, but we it needs the support the total Qld AFL participants, we have a chance to get real respect into Qld AFL footy as a whole (at the moment we are considered a lost cause to League and Union with most other Foot States), this is an excuse that we have gone along with as it was easier to agree than to do something about it. If we lose the NEAFL concept, then we go back to just that, a poor excuse for an average standard of footy, where in the past the ACT side was beating us. Those very talented players (like Ryan Davey and many others), I respect their decision to stay with their QAFL Clubs and this happens all over the country, but to make this State of Qld an equal to the other traditional states around the country we need our best players playing in our top Competition.

I thought this was a QAFL forum! Again you are right and I agree, the NEAFL needs the AFLQ and the AFL and more importantly QLD Footy needs the NEAFL - They should be protecting each others interest - AFLQ for players on the rise and the NEAFL for those players dropping back

Billy
You're obviously passionate about qld footy and that's great, but at the same time, your response to "yesterday" sounds confused. You agreed with him on 5 out of 9 points, yet the overall feeling is that you don't agree with him. Time for a rethink?

Last edited:
Watched my Broadbeach Cats beat Sandgate today. First time Ive been to the Sandgate home ground,,, is a big ground but the facilities are very poor. I arrived in the final quarter of the ressies game. Went to buy a coffee and something to eat,,, guess what, no food left to buy and no coffee. I MEAN YOUR JOKING. The crowd wouldn't of been 150 ,,, yet no food at this time of day, That's a very poor effort.!!
Another issue, the standard of umpiring, whilst im not one to comment on umpires as the game needs people to be umpires ( cant do without them) , the standard today was just so bad it wasnt funny,,,and it effected both sides.Honestly, a young rookie 16 year old umpire would of done a better job .!!!

Another issue, why do clubs/coaches at this level and lower levels attempt to implement game plans that are a carbon copy of the way the big league( AFL) is played these days.... I mean, the skill level is just not there to do this,,, eg, the spread, the press, kicking backwards, sideways and heading to the boundary lines all the time. Enough said, whatever happened to the quickest way home, and that's straight up the guts.!!!

Another issue, why do clubs/coaches at this level and lower levels attempt to implement game plans that are a carbon copy of the way the big league( AFL) is played these days.... I mean, the skill level is just not there to do this,,, eg, the spread, the press, kicking backwards, sideways and heading to the boundary lines all the time. Enough said, whatever happened to the quickest way home, and that's straight up the guts.!!!

Assistant coaches justifying their positions I guess?

Watched my Broadbeach Cats beat Sandgate today. First time Ive been to the Sandgate home ground,,, is a big ground but the facilities are very poor. I arrived in the final quarter of the ressies game. Went to buy a coffee and something to eat,,, guess what, no food left to buy and no coffee. I MEAN YOUR JOKING. The crowd wouldn't of been 150 ,,, yet no food at this time of day, That's a very poor effort.!!
Another issue, the standard of umpiring, whilst im not one to comment on umpires as the game needs people to be umpires ( cant do without them) , the standard today was just so bad it wasnt funny,,,and it effected both sides.Honestly, a young rookie 16 year old umpire would of done a better job .!!!

Agreed the standard of umpiring has dropped from last year, something the former NEAFL clubs have to get use to.

Sadly Wynnum (Div 4) has way better facilities than Sandgate (QAFL)

I've been out to Sandgate twice this year, just after halftime in the Seniors.The canteen had very limited stock and the other time everything was sold out unless u wanted something to drink. Next time bring a cut lunch!!! :(

We are a bit spoilt at the cats for facilities are we stuyd?

I went to lab surfers yesterday and must say they put on a good show there. The new balcony up there with the old premiership flags was a great set up. There was a canteen, BBQ and meals available in the club too. Jumping castle for the kids and a second oval thT kids were kicking the footy on. An opponent is Labrador but credit where credits due.

On the field I felt a scrappy game albeit in windy conditions. Surfers had a crack but are the 6th best team IMO. Labrador don't kick enough goals to beat the very best, but could improve if and when they get all troops back.

"Sounds like another excuse to me, it just means more chook raffles - fund raising, alliances other sporting clubs, with more sponsorship's and more people with the passion to make it want to happen."

I dont intend to get into a long ending debate about this matter as clearly we have opposing views which is fine. Also I don't think other want to see the forum hijacked in an going debate. That said, my final piece on this refers to your quote above which truly defies logic or a commercial grasp on where clubs are at.

Even the gaming rich clubs are questioning the return on the amounts they are spending to run a team in the NEAFL. When NEAFL was proposed by AFLQ, I understand that playing budget of $300k was offered as a starting point to QLD Clubs (some will tell you that some ACT Clubs may be paying double that). Add coaches salary, assistants, fitness coach, support staff, trainers, medical, physiotherapy, equipment, tape, apparel, av and coaching aids, insurance, competition fees, travel, training cost, management fees, administration, accounting, web site, etc and you are looking at an operational budget of around $600k. Unless you have the benefit and generosity of a massive and successful gaming operation, you can't compete. You can shout chook raffles until the cows come home but that is just not going to happen, and even if money id found this year and next, it is highly unsustainable and may even threaten the existence of participating clubs. Ask Hills Eagles who are likely to be bailing this year.

I understand that one of the primary objectives of the NEAFL is to provide a high quality competition for AFL reserve grade teams. But heres the rub.
The community based clubs that provide this competition, have to bust their chops on annual fund raising to cover the costs and depend on a vast yet exhausted volunteer network. However, at the same time, the AFL clubs, who benefit from the high quality comp, are gifted millions of dollars a year by AFL. In 2013 alone, the 4 AFL Clubs who participate in the NEAFL received around $43m in funding. Their participation in the NEAFL is funded.

Last edited:
"Sounds like another excuse to me, it just means more chook raffles - fund raising, alliances other sporting clubs, with more sponsorship's and more people with the passion to make it want to happen."

I dont intend to get into a long ending debate about this matter as clearly we have opposing views which is fine. Also I don't think other want to see the forum hijacked in an going debate. That said, my final piece on this refers to your quote above which truly defies logic or a commercial grasp on where clubs are at.

Even the gaming rich clubs are questioning the return on the amounts they are spending to run a team in the NEAFL. When NEAFL was proposed by AFLQ, I understand that playing budget of $300k was offered as a starting point to QLD Clubs (some will tell you that some ACT Clubs may be paying double that). Add coaches salary, assistants, fitness coach, support staff, trainers, medical, physiotherapy, equipment, tape, apparel, av and coaching aids, insurance, competition fees, travel, training cost, management fees, administration, accounting, web site, etc and you are looking at an operational budget of around $600k. Unless you have the benefit and generosity of a massive and successful gaming operation, you can't compete. You can shout chook raffles until the cows come home but that is just not going to happen, and even if money id found this year and next, it is highly unsustainable and may even threaten the existence of participating clubs. Ask Hills Eagles who are likely to be bailing this year.

I understand that one of the primary objectives of the NEAFL is to provide a high quality competition for AFL reserve grade teams. But heres the rub.
The community based clubs that provide this competition, have to bust their chops on annual fund raising to cover the costs and depend on a vast yet exhausted volunteer network. However, at the same time, the AFL clubs, who benefit from the high quality comp, are gifted millions of dollars a year by AFL. In 2013 alone, the 4 AFL Clubs who participate in the NEAFL received around $43m in funding. Their participation in the NEAFL is funded.

Yesterday,

We both agree that this has gone on far too long, but remembering this debate started with my objection to Thommo 43, posting on this forum that the NEAFL was a Mickey Mouse Competition.

My last word on this issue is a reply to some of your comments above - We will always have a difference of opinion on this topic.

Here is my total conspiracy theory on why and how this NEAFL was introduced and why it will stay.

I believe and it is only my opinion, lets not get carried away again with me being an official of the AFL or having any insider knowledge - I am just Joe Blow Public who loves his footy and who wants our kids to play at the highest level of AFL they can and if the can't play in the AFL top tier then in a second tier without relocating states - IMO - NT, Southport, Redland and Aspley, with the help of the AFL have been setting themselves up for this Tier 2 NEAFL Competition for some years, I again believe that the only way they could make the transgression to a tier 2 NEAFL was to invoke a tier 1 NEAFL originally for a couple of years with the previous 4 ex NEAFL Tier 1 clubs embracing the concept, thinking further funding for their ongoing involvement would come from the AFL. Thus the Qld participation in the new NEAFL is now fixed (unless clubs decide its to expensive), but I don't think this will happen and we will never know because again IMO (remember its still a conspiracy theory) to prop up a club to continue with some money is cheaper than to prop up a club with little money. The reason I think this is simple, the AFL have said on the record that there will be no AFL National Reserve's Competition, it is to expensive to run. They need a formidable competition for their AFL reserve sides (even if some of these sides don't currently embrace this need) and the cheapest way to get this, is through state league competitions or in the NEAFL'S case dual state and territory competitions by forming this the new tier 2 NEAFL Competition.

The WAFL, SANFL and the VFL all have AFL reserve sides playing within their newly revamped Competitions, the AFL have offered the only other 2 states in the land with AFL Clubs within and therefore Reserve sides, namely NSW and QLD, which happens to also encompass the 2 Territories with an equal footing, by setting up the new version of the NEAFL giving nearly all of Australian AFL States complete Tier 2 status, leaving Tasmania as the only state currently not participating at a 2nd Tier level. We in Qld, NSW and our neighboring Territories, thanks to the AFL's Reserve grades competition requirements, can now show, if we want to compete as an equal to the other states in Australia, we can, purely through this process by lifting the bar to a new level, the only way to do this is with the help of our State League Comp clubs right down to our Auskickers, by embracing this new NEAFL format, it will give Qld and NSW credibility within the AFL world, where we will no longer be seen as the poor cousins who play rugby Union and Rugby League the best and AFL footy the worst.

The compromised NEAFL competition as we see currently, will IMO be rectified as a work in progress over time, as clubs either embrace or drop the concept, It will go on whether we agree or disagree with it, also some clubs may go and some may come in, this concept has been set up by the AFL for their purpose and luckily for our gain as well.

That's it from me. See you guys on the NEAFL from time to time.

Good bye and Good luck to all who have had their say on this issue and to a lot of you I can hear you say good riddance to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another issue, why do clubs/coaches at this level and lower levels attempt to implement game plans that are a carbon copy of
the way the big league( AFL) is played
these days.... I mean, the skill level is
just not there to do this,,, eg, the
spread, the press, kicking backwards,
sideways and heading to the boundary
lines all the time. Enough said,
whatever happened to the quickest way
home, and that's straight up the
guts.!!!
True, straight up the middle is the best and most desirable option...too bad thats often the most defended route...
As far as trying to play like the 'big league' and skill level not there... Most of the structures/plans you mentioned take either fitness, a little discipline or basic skills e.g hitting 20m targets by foot...hardly tools out of reach of any senior player. I agree though, trying to mimic current AFL set-plays is pointless, local Footy should watch and learn from the AFL 6 years or so prior.
I believe the press is doable, Nambour in 2012 were excellent at something very similar, however the problem was and can be, when play A is over trained and gets worked out, teams need a well drilled plan B...
As far as the 'Spread' is concerned it's just a new name for an old school run to space...train anything & it's possible, remember AFL teams have AFL opposition, QAFL teams have QAFL opposition etc etc

Any word on NEAFL player qualifications for Finals? Usually the rule for playing down is you must have played 5 games?

Billy

The QAFL has been mentioned quite a bit in this discussion... :)

Yeah agree Yesterday - not sure we should demean the guy who just wants to play for a bit more of fun than commit big hours and time.

Not sure why you are complaining though? Each of the 3 clubs chose their own destiny didn't they?

Who knows? First year of this system. Previous to this trying to get a line on a kid who was playing against an average footballer from say Mt Gravatt last year doesn't tell anyone a great deal. The difference say 6-7 years ago was that the relative strength of the comp was pretty good. It fell away dramatically over the past couple of years. Think we will find a lot more kids possible drafted + NSW should get a lot more drafted - they have the Riverina region, a rich footy area, to select from. Areas like wagga that produced "average" footballers like Wayne Carey, the Danihers, Anthony Stevens etc...

Agree - saw NT v Southport yesterday - terrible atmosphere, terrible game actually.

Last edited:
True, straight up the middle is the best and most desirable option...too bad thats often the most defended route...
As far as trying to play like the 'big league' and skill level not there... Most of the structures/plans you mentioned take either fitness, a little discipline or basic skills e.g hitting 20m targets by foot...hardly tools out of reach of any senior player. I agree though, trying to mimic current AFL set-plays is pointless, local Footy should watch and learn from the AFL 6 years or so prior.
I believe the press is doable, Nambour in 2012 were excellent at something very similar, however the problem was and can be, when play A is over trained and gets worked out, teams need a well drilled plan B...
As far as the 'Spread' is concerned it's just a new name for an old school run to space...train anything & it's possible, remember AFL teams have AFL opposition, QAFL teams have QAFL opposition etc etc

Footy 1st,
agree,,, for example, I watched Morningside play Mt Gravatt today.Regardless of the quality players Morningside have, its the way they play their footy game plan that makes them so hard to beat. Its pretty simple, they run forward all day. When a Morningside player ball carrier has the pill, there are numerous players running forward towards the goals,running into space, creating opportunity for the forwards whom are leading....yes there are times they have to go sideways or backwards when nothing is presenting up the field, but in these cases, they switch the direction of the play, not stuff around with backward ball passing etc. Big issue for the other QAFL sides is that when they have the pill and potential to go into attack, they continue to go sideways and backwards and overuse the handball , resulting in mistakes and turnover of the ball. On a few occasions, Mt Gravatt, played the Morningside way, and this ended up with some excellent passages of footy resulting in goals.
Yesterday, I watched my club, Broadbeach against Sandgate,,,, and even tough we won by 10 goals, it should of been 15 to 18 goals, but it wasn't , mainly due to when we had the pill, we went sideways and backwards and handballed so many times it wasnt funny and lost possession on many occasions.Even at three quarter time, the coach encouraged going backwards with the pill!!! And guess what, the players did in that last quarter, and the result was only 2 goals kicked.

Monkey see, monkey do. Back your best players in i reckon. Possession footy at nearly all levels bar AFL and probably 1st tier is playing with fire.

Footy 1st,
agree,,, for example, I watched Morningside play Mt Gravatt today.Regardless of the quality players
Morningside have, its the way they play
their footy game plan that makes them
so hard to beat. Its pretty simple, they
run forward all day. When a
Morningside player ball carrier has the
pill, there are numerous players
running forward towards the
goals,running into space, creating
opportunity for the forwards whom are
leading....yes there are times they
have to go sideways or backwards when
nothing is presenting up the field, but
in these cases, they switch the
direction of the play, not stuff around
with backward ball passing etc. Big
issue for the other QAFL sides is that
when they have the pill and potential
to go into attack, they continue to go
sideways and backwards and overuse
the handball , resulting in mistakes and
turnover of the ball. On a few
occasions, Mt Gravatt, played the
Morningside way, and this ended up
with some excellent passages of footy
resulting in goals.
Yesterday, I watched my club,
Broadbeach against Sandgate,,,, and
even tough we won by 10 goals, it
should of been 15 to 18 goals, but it
wasn't , mainly due to when we had the
pill, we went sideways and backwards
and handballed so many times it wasnt
funny and lost possession on many
occasions.Even at three quarter time,
the coach encouraged going backwards
with the pill!!! And guess what, the
players did in that last quarter, and the
result was only 2 goals kicked.
Spot on Stuyd re: backwards junk kicking...the most negative football & potentially risky situation in 95% of all situations... 3 goals up & 2 mins to go...use it, otherwise 4 parts forward movement, 1 part sideways is an ok mix. Teams/Coaches get caught between 'our scoring' & 'stopping them scoring' where often the split for good sides should be 70/30 once the side is selected (IMO the hb line most critical & has been for 10 yr's).
The Morningside run forward model smacks of the Brisbane Lions dominance of early 2000's which Geelong emulated + team defence, simple Footy done well

Monkey see, monkey do. Back your best players in i reckon. Possession footy at nearly all levels bar AFL and probably 1st tier is playing
with fire.
Totally agree SMY..
horses for courses, got the keys, use 'em. If ur midfield is star-studded (especially ruckman) then limit the targets up forward & isolate the the true 1 on 1 guns... If your backline are the strongest component in your make-up, provide 3 or 4 genuinely mobile targets up the ground etc etc
Identify your cattle, base a benchmark then improve the team effort

It's not that hard I reckon footy 1st we just complicate it at this level a bit. Guys stats always look healthy too which is good for self esteem I spose...:))

It's not that hard I reckon footy 1st we just complicate it at this level a bit. Guys stats always look healthy too which is good for self esteem I spose...:))
SMY.
good point.... a player may have stats of say 30 disposals for the game,,,and get named as one of the best players, say 10 are kicks, and 20 are handballs. If say 6 of his kicks are effective, and 10 of his handballs are effective,does that really make that player one of the best for the day.? Yes it may, depending on the circumstances and other measuring factors ( eg tackles, assists,set ups etc) ,, but in many cases at qafl level, there are players with 15 or so disposals that performed better then the 30 disposal player.but don't get named as one of the best players for the game.... and rest assured , the player that had 20 handballs will be the one that is going backwards and sideways all the time.( except for guys like Carse at Redland).

Sadly Sandgate are still rebuilding after experiencing tough times a few years back and heading into debt to get their club house open again. We are slowly working through this debt but it is a tough gig and something that I'm sure a few other clubs can relate to at different times of their history. But in the meantime, this places a huge workload on volunteers who seem to be harder and harder to find, so those that do put their hand up to help seem to be lugged with massive workloads and by this stage of the season are at a point of not caring anymore and just looking towards a break in September. Others see these volunteers getting burnt out due to lack of help and are reluctant to get involved themselves, its a vicious circle. Getting people to volunteer and then keeping them involved is a hard task and also something I'm sure many other clubs can relate to.

The canteen is supposed to be run by the junior club with monies going back to junior footy, but once again hands to help are definitely short within this current parent group who only want to watch their own kids play, pack up and go home with no further thought given to helping the club move forward. It is a culture that we are working hard to turn around, but it will take time.

As a Sandgate member, junior player parent, junior coach, ex junior committee member and player of different levels over the years, I find it embarrassing to read statements like this in these pages. The worst part is I know how true it is.....

There are some good people getting involved at all levels of the club now, and hopefully we can look to build on what has been a tough couple of years and an even tougher season.

Darryn Creswell will stand down from Palm Beach at the end of the year, and will take up the job at Wodonga Raiders in the Ovens and Murray football league in Victoria in 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back