2014 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge games for Broady whom are in 2nd place on the ladder. If they loose to PBC tomorrow and then face Labrador in the final round and loose, they may well drop to 4th on the ladder.

Big game for the cats next week after being out classed and out worked by the lions yesterday, they wouldn't want to limp into an elimination final with 2 consecutive loses.

Can't wait for the finals, it's been a great season!

As I understand it, another outstanding game from Jacob Guise. I expect a thankyou letter from Cressa in the mail.

He's been really good the last three weeks! Going to be very tough at selection going into the finals with 3 southport boys already qualified and some quality still playing 2's.

I have it good authority Sandgate have appointed Bomber to coach next year. Pretty strange to think they would not advertise the position but after the way Rob was treated, I'm not entirely surprised. Can anyone from the Hawks confirm please. I also had a conversation with Rob Dickfos last Wednesday regarding how he was coping not coaching. He seemed very relaxed and excited about what may lay ahead. He has been contacted by 3 different clubs so IMO he will be around in some capacity next year which is good for QLD footy.

Obviously Bomber is the bloke they wanted Cats - I'm sure he would know their budget, what the club is prepared to spend where as you can go thru the process, advertise, sift thru applications, all the time knowing there is very little chance people will coach there for the $$ on offer. Waste of time. Now whether he turns out to be great for Sandgate who knows but time will tell..

Obviously Bomber is the bloke they wanted Cats - I'm sure he would know their budget, what the club is prepared to spend where as you can go thru the process, advertise, sift thru applications, all the time knowing there is very little chance people will coach there for the $$ on offer. Waste of time. Now whether he turns out to be great for Sandgate who knows but time will tell..

Yep agree. At Broadbeach it was obvious that petterd was the man for the job and the board last year appointed him without advertising. He has done a top job.

On the game on the weekend had to be impressed with pbc. They are well coached have good experienced players and I reckon they have a decent chance against morningside at the pointy end.

On a different note a couple of comments to players from behind the fence from pbc supporters were disgusting and the reserves coach was constantly screaming at the umpires.

I have nothing but respect for pbc on field and well done for cleaning this up. Facilities will be good for next year, just need to clean up the other off field as well to be respected by all

Hmmm.... He may do well and being around Sandgate for many many years he should know what he's in for, unlike Rob D who was fairly new to the club. I hope for Sandgate's sake that the powers that be don't burn Bomber- I can't see anyone taking the job in the future if that happens. Like Rob D, Bomber was a very good junior coach so maybe he can keep and continue to develop the young talent they have at the club. What Sandgate immediately need though is a couple of seasoned big blokes in key positions (like Danny D a few years ago)- not sure where they'll come from.

Wasn't Adams senior coach at Sandgate a fair few years ago? Seem to remember him being senior coach there before he started junior coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah bomber was captain/coach from 1996-1999 and also coach from 2005-08 I think...

How did the club go in these periods? Will he have much recruitment potential with players? Not often you see a guy get 3 chances across 3 different decades!

How did the club go in these periods? Will he have much recruitment potential with players? Not often you see a guy get 3 chances across 3 different decades!
Not sure Sandgate had much choice. My gut feeling is he's stepped into the breach through loyalty not because he's the best choice for the role. As per pervious posts from others, Sandgate is very low on $$$ so I don't think they are able to attract anyone else better. Booting out a well respected bloke like Dickfos doesn't help either. As for Bomber's performance as senior coach in past decades- its hard to tell. Sandgate have generally been on a downward trajectory since the great days of the 70's and early 80s.

Not sure Sandgate had much choice. My gut feeling is he's stepped into the breach through loyalty not because he's the best choice for the role. As per pervious posts from others, Sandgate is very low on $$$ so I don't think they are able to attract anyone else better. Booting out a well respected bloke like Dickfos doesn't help either. As for Bomber's performance as senior coach in past decades- its hard to tell. Sandgate have generally been on a downward trajectory since the great days of the 70's and early 80s.

Next year could be a make or break year as far as QAFL go for them so hopefully it helps them improve. As for the downward spiral, sandgate were in a gf and prelim not too long ago in Division 1. So I guess they were up for a little while at least.

Next year could be a make or break year as far as QAFL go for them so hopefully it helps them improve. As for the downward spiral, sandgate were in a gf and prelim not too long ago in Division 1. So I guess they were up for a little while at least.
what year in the GF?

Had 2's and seniors in that year - 2's won with a kick after the siren from memory.

Bomber, having been involved with under age Nth Bris rep stuff over the past 7-8yrs or so has contact with plenty of juniors in the area. He would also be pretty solid in how to go about talking to these kids and getting best out of them. A lot of the kids who have come thru are now 20-22 yr old blokes still kicking around in various footy clubs in the region i imagine. Having nfi as to where Sandgate are situated right now as a footy club, he could end up being a good choice simply based on what he can bring to the table from a development point. I think, from what i have been told, that Dickfos could be a far better coach with a more mature group of players in much the same way that Cresswell is a good coach.

Had 2's and seniors in that year - 2's won with a kick after the siren from memory.

Bomber, having been involved with under age Nth Bris rep stuff over the past 7-8yrs or so has contact with plenty of juniors in the area. He would also be pretty solid in how to go about talking to these kids and getting best out of them. A lot of the kids who have come thru are now 20-22 yr old blokes still kicking around in various footy clubs in the region i imagine. Having nfi as to where Sandgate are situated right now as a footy club, he could end up being a good choice simply based on what he can bring to the table from a development point. I think, from what i have been told, that Dickfos could be a far better coach with a more mature group of players in much the same way that Cresswell is a good coach.

smy,

Great post above mate, It says it mostly but,

IMO Bomber has plenty of upside as a senior coach (again IMO he would rate as one of the best mentors of men and groups of men for all age groups) unfortunately you can only be as charitable as your heart lets you, and if you study the years of his involvement at Sandgate his charity is very well synonyms - If Sandgate want to play with the big boys then they, the club and their Management have to make the call to get rid of the nearly good enough footballers and and make the call to get the guys with the right drive to be part of and back to the club, they many ex players and supporters who made the club feared as a rival among all they played and barracked against - Bomber has bled Green and Red for many years and he will continue to do so because that's what loyal club people do - But while he does it for nothing but for love, his value is far diminished to what he could do if rewarded for what every other club coach does. Its time for the ex players, supporters and the many so called friends of Sandgate AFL/FC to get off the hill (as it where) and onto the ground an make a contribution either by monetary or physical support to make the club great again instead of waiting for that legendary White Knight to turn up on his stead and like the fairy-tale of old, make it easy for all for the club to continue.

Last edited:
In all my time around footy I have finally seen the best food ever at a game..out at the Western Magpies yesterday v Morningside the Maggie's had a "pig on the spit" roast pork rolls gravy apple sauce and the best crackling ever.You would think we were in country Victoria yday not Brisbane in August..Fantastic.. What's worse tho was it was down near the scoreboard and we could smell it at the visitors coaches box..not fair!!!!
As for the game, a battle early before the Panthers were able to open the game up as the weather dried out..Magpies a young team with a future, need to strengthen up the bodies a bit more, have always been a fan of young ruckman Dominic Beer. A great club the Magpies with brand new changerooms to boot..but those pork rolls...wowee

smy,

Great post above mate, It says it mostly but,

IMO Bomber has plenty of upside as a senior coach (again IMO he would rate as one of the best mentors of men and groups of men for all age groups) unfortunately you can only be as charitable as your heart lets you, and if you study the years of his involvement at Sandgate his charity is very well synonyms - If Sandgate want to play with the big boys then they, the club and their Management have to make the call to get rid of the nearly good enough footballers and and make the call to get the guys with the right drive to be part of and back to the club, they many ex players and supporters who made the club feared as a rival among all they played and barracked against - Bomber has bled Green and Red for many years and he will continue to do so because that's what loyal club people do - But while he does it for nothing but for love, his value is far diminished to what he could do if rewarded for what every other club coach does. Its time for the ex players, supporters and the many so called friends of Sandgate AFL/FC to get off the hill (as it where) and onto the ground an make a contribution either by monetary or physical support to make the club great again instead of waiting for that legendary White Knight to turn up on his stead and like the fairy-tale of old, make it easy for all for the club to continue.

Can't disagree BB - when Sandgate nominated for the QAFL then surely they understood that there would be some $$ required for coaches (and players), otherwise they should have nominated for the north conference. Certainly they are struggling but as Mt Gravatt have showed this year, 12mths is a long time in footy and who knows where they might be next year. probably could do a lot worse and go to blokes like Brendan Forbes who is not only a very very good ruckman but a good footy brain as well bc Bomber will need some smart heads out there if the age of the group is going to be young.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back