2014 QAFL

Ruffles00

Debutant
Nov 19, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
From the sounds of it I dare say they didn't have a leaderboard after Round 6 because Davey was so far ahead that he probably wrapped it up by Round 10.

Sir G

Club Legend
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
mayne tigers
So anyone game enough to put a quid on Labrador to upset Morningside?

spooner21

Senior List
Oct 16, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
They didn't put up a leaderboard for the Grogan between Round 6 and hanging it around Ryan's neck.

They made a point of mentioning how that was done deliberately only to maintain some sort of suspense because Davey was so far in front...

The_Sherrin

Debutant
Apr 3, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Panthers to win both grades.

QAFL need to allow Women's Football to grow naturally and to earn the respect that the Ladies deserves, like any other new league.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Panthers will slice them up, Labrador too slow to cause any major concerns.

Couple of their players are petrified from what I saw on the weekend

Reckon the result may go 2 ways!
Firstly, the game to be a tight slugfest for 3 quarters and in the final quarter ,Morningside will break the game open and win by 6 goals.
Second scenario, Morningside have had a weeks rest, Labrador have had 2 very demanding final games , hence game over by half time, Morningside by 12 goals.

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
i think it will be closer than people might think. but labrador have had 2 sudden death matches in a row where they have to come from the dead to beat the vultures and palmy. it will be close up till 3/4 time and the panthers will run away with in the last like they have all year..\

aflq better put this game on the net for people that wont be there

chikka ferguson

All Australian
Feb 27, 2010
airlie beach
AFL Club
Carlton
i think it will be closer than people might think. but labrador have had 2 sudden death matches in a row where they have to come from the dead to beat the vultures and palmy. it will be close up till 3/4 time and the panthers will run away with in the last like they have all year..\

aflq better put this game on the net for people that wont be there
Live on Abc Radio Damo. Not sure about live coverage.

pinocchio

Senior List
Apr 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good luck to both teams, I agree with most bloggers Morningside to be premiers in 2014 by 6 goals. Well done Labrador on your efforts to get there. Has anyone heard who will be coaching Surfers next season?

Ruffles00

Debutant
Nov 19, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I too think the favourite in Morningside will win but by much less than what everyone else has picked. I think only 1-2 goals will separate the two.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
New coach being announced at their fundraiser tomorrow. I reckon the board has got this wrong big time. Zorko had them punching well above their weight and should have been reappointed not invited to apply for his own job. Poor form I reckon.

Doull the best

Draftee
Jul 6, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
The word was that WG may have known of the situation prior to the game and decided not to say anything. It was alleged that they thought the game was unloseable to be won either on the park or afterwards on appeal. If he was really a game breaker, perhaps they should have brought the issue to the attention of everyone pre game??? The player knew he was overage but thought (as with many rep teams) that an overage player concession was in place. His date of birth was shown as 11 (nov) instead of 1 (jan) on the system due to error since 2008 so not picked up by officials.

So you are virtually saying that the opposition knew Aspley were playing an over age player but Aspley didn't? Really?

No-one in footy believes that especially as the player in question has been at Aspley for many years. My information is the player has been coached for several years by the Aspley 18's coach and the assistant coach is on FB celebrating the player's 18th birthday, the year before!! Now, they say 'they weren't aware of the facts'.

You may be able to treat AFLQ like mushrooms but leave opposition clubs out of it please. Aspley have zero credibility on this issue and their reputation in footy circles continues to reside at the 'bottom of the harbour', with the appropriate connotation.

Bunyip62

Senior List
Apr 27, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
So you are virtually saying that the opposition knew Aspley were playing an over age player but Aspley didn't? Really?

No-one in footy believes that especially as the player in question has been at Aspley for many years. My information is the player has been coached for several years by the Aspley 18's coach and the assistant coach is on FB celebrating the player's 18th birthday, the year before!! Now, they say 'they weren't aware of the facts'.

You may be able to treat AFLQ like mushrooms but leave opposition clubs out of it please. Aspley have zero credibility on this issue and their reputation in footy circles continues to reside at the 'bottom of the harbour', with the appropriate connotation.
Absolutely spot on Doull the best (btw great name!!), there is no way that Aspley wouldn't have known that the player in question was inlegible, he's been around the club for years. And surely the kid at some stage must have asked someone at the club "I'm 19 are you guys sure I'm ok to play?" Surely he or his family or his team mates would have asked the question to someone. Very poorly handled all round and the punishment extremely lenient.

smy1305

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 27, 2011
Buderim
AFL Club
Gold Coast
19 yr olds can play, as long as they are born in the 2nd half of the year, issue here was that the kid was 19 on the 1st Jan 2014 (or I'm thinking this is the case). This makes him bloody old!! Just not sure what appeal Aspley put in to get it reversed but must have good club advocates!

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Should be a ripper game not much between these two sides. Labrador won the first encounter by a couple of goals and Palmy won the last couple of games by a couple. Tom Daniels, Ryan Davey and Kieran Daley all back I think its going to be the tigers through to the grand final against the almighty and powerful Morningside. And to the tigers credit they have done it with no help from their NEAFL side in Southport not one player has dropped back, a fair effort. But you cant write Palmy off, they smashed us twice during the year in the wet and where pretty impressive. Good luck to both teams and I hope its a good game. Has anyone heard, has Matt Angus kept the job at Southport?
You will find AFLQ had a discretionary decision on one player who may have qualified given unusual circumstances but under advisement from Southport the AFLQ said no.

Cool Carl

Debutant
Aug 20, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I too think the favourite in Morningside will win but by much less than what everyone else has picked. I think only 1-2 goals will separate the two.

Can any of you guys give me a bit of a rundown as to what this comp is like. How would it compere to MacKay or Cairns comps?

QAFL_Fan

Club Legend
May 28, 2014
On the boundary
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm not familiar with the Cairns competition, but Mackay is a much lower standard than the QAFL - as to be expected for a Rugby League heartland with a much smaller population than the Brisbane/GC/SC region.

Mackay League would rate somewhere between QFA and the 2 QAFA comps.

Back