2014 QAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon its a top idea QAFL - no fan of it up here though where we would love to have a few more ex AFL players to raise the standards etc but in that comp for sure. Some may argue that if a local bloke is any good he will get a game in these teams and if not then head to another club in the same league (or a minor league) but I think that misses the whole point of community footy and esp in country towns. You want to see your young fellas growing up thru the juniors and then playing in the A grade if possible. At worst you could limit the number of 4 and 5 pointers to say 4-5 per team. It may even spread the love a little thru country footy rather than have a posse drive up every Friday night! I suppose, unlike yesteryear pre TAC, where the best kids were playing senior footy, now they gravitate to TAC footy. If Tim Watson was starting up again, 1 he wouldn't be playing at 15yrs of age for the Essendon seniors or Dimboola's A grade and 2, he would be playing for the Geelong Falcons or whoever picks up Dimboola.

Correct.

Back in my day (I am from Myrtleford) - if you were any good at 15 - you played Senior Footy for your local club. John Longmire started playing senior footy for Corowa-Rutherglen as young as about 14 from memory, and won the O&M Goalkicking Tally when he was 16.

This all changed a few years before Kosi was drafted, although Kosi did play a little bit of senior footy at Lavington before going to the Bushrangers.

These days, they are picked up as young as 14 and never seen again by their local clubs. I actually like the Vic, SA and QLD Models better - where guys like Beams were playing for Broadbeach and Southport before getting drafted, and Coniglio won a Premiership with Swan Districts and Aish was a dual Premiership winner in the SANFL before even getting drafted!

Correct.

Back in my day (I am from Myrtleford) - if you were any good at 15 - you played Senior Footy for your local club. John Longmire started playing senior footy for Corowa-Rutherglen as young as about 14 from memory, and won the O&M Goalkicking Tally when he was 16.

This all changed a few years before Kosi was drafted, although Kosi did play a little bit of senior footy at Lavington before going to the Bushrangers.

These days, they are picked up as young as 14 and never seen again by their local clubs. I actually like the Vic, SA and QLD Models better - where guys like Beams were playing for Broadbeach and Southport before getting drafted, and Coniglio won a Premiership with Swan Districts and Aish was a dual Premiership winner in the SANFL before even getting drafted!
I'm from that way also, and remember in 07 Steele Sidebottom running out for Congupna in U17s Premiership side the yr before he kicked 10 in the TAC GF. Also Whiley from GWS playing at Finley and being a premiership captain

Yes, if you are from far enough away and deep in the country - you can still sneak in some local and school footy.

Really, though - they just do it to make recruiters jobs easier!

Correct.

Think you mean the WA, SA, Qld models where by kids play senior footy before being drafted. I know many boys in Vic do so but not enough imo to put a line thru them. is the reason the hit rate for drafting is so poor I believe. If the data for any other industry matched that shown by the AFL recruiters for kids playing 50+ games of AFL footy once drafted there would be an inquiry!! We just seem to accept it as a difficult process. Well you know, make it less difficult, make the kids play against men and see how they respond - don't have to dominate but need to show enough gumption to be confident that they will step up in due course. Dan Rich was another boy who played 2 years of senior footy before being drafted. In fact make the draft age older! Could go on for a while about this... ;)

Don't know why everyone keeps quoting the O&M League as a model to aspire to?

I've followd that league since the 70's and its current format has become a joke.

2 clubs have shared the last 6 Premierships and both happen to have the most coin and spend the most on recruiting.

Albury Tigers have won 19 Premierships, but back in the day they really did do it with local home grown talent. The side they had this year had 15 blokes on it who have AFL experience... I doubt any of them are from the Riverina!

Yarrawonga have recruited well too, and while Fevola is a genuine ring-in, he has really embraced the league and culture - so good on him. But the league is an arms race at the moment. Now the Raiders have thrown huge coin at Creswell and a big cheque book for recruting and its just going to get worse.
I do not agree with you here.
Firstly, Albury tigers and Yarrawonga implemented a business plan some 8 years ago, and this plan has lifted these two clubs to the success they have achieved over the past 6 seasons. Without going in depth, these 2 clubs have recognized the need to progress, whilst the other clubs have still dithered around with no real long term plan.( except for Lavington,, they are following suit and are right up there)
Give credit when is due.... Albury and Yarra have raised the bar in standard of the footy, and I watched the GF last week,, and you wouldn't of seen a better quality game anywhere outside the AFL , VFL, SANFL and WAFL.
Success breeds success, and both clubs have achieved this not only at the senior level but in the ressies and under 18s.
On top of this, they have not had a mass exodus of players at seasons end, thus they haven't had to go out and spend big bucks on numerous recruits.

As for Albury having 15 ex AFL players,,,, well your kidding. They actually have 4, be it Hyde,Polo, and the O halpin brothers. Yarra actually have more, be it Fevola, Ednie, McKee, Hargreaves, Peittifer and one other whose name I cant recall at the moment.
Wodonga Raiders, ( Cresswells new challenge) have like many other clubs , spent big bucks on recruits and not achieved success, thus run out of money, lingered down the bottom end of the ladder for a few seasons, save up the dollars and then go and buy up big hoping for the ultimate prize.
This is the difference between Albury, Yarra and Lavington( their business plans) and the other 7 clubs that are not achieving due to lesser business plans and also It becomes very difficult for the 2 smaller towns be it Myrtleford and Corowa/Rutherglen to compete against this. .Yet the 2 Wodonga and Wangaratta clubs and North Albury have lagged behind and they are much bigger towns.
Finally, I take my hat off to these 3 clubs for achieving and building powerful clubs concentrating on success in all grades ( not just seniors)........ Geez, over the past 6 seasons there has been crowds of 5000 to 6000 at some home and away games, .....now that's unheard of in the comps 90 year plus history.
these 3 clubs are out there to become a dynasty in the comp.!!!!!!!! Even Hawthorn, after winning the flag again, have come out and said there plans are to do the same,, ie dominate the comp and become a dynasty.

Geez, over the past 6 seasons there has been crowds of 5000 to 6000 at some home and away games, .....now that's unheard of in the comps 90 year plus history..

rubbish, I used to play in front of that many 3 or 4 times a season in the 70's! that was when Albury-Wodonga had a population of 45,000, not over 100,000 too!

You guys should head over to the ovens and Murray forum and talk on there... Isn't this the qafl page?

Any news on best and fairests? Recruits? Anything?

Surprised about Zorko getting shafted but the man they've brought in seems to have a pretty handy resumè.

PBC coach?? If there is anyone left to coach once Cresswell has taken the best 5-6!!

As far as I know there isn't 5-6 going with cresswell, pretty sure both derricks, Bryant, wooley and emblem all staying,

As far as coach goes... Haven't heard anything, maybe Chad Owens who was assistant last year and is highly respected by the players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as I know there isn't 5-6 going with cresswell, pretty sure both derricks, Bryant, wooley and emblem all staying,

As far as coach goes... Haven't heard anything, maybe Chad Owens who was assistant last year and is highly respected by the players
Well with all due respect to those players mentioned above, I doubt they would cut it down South in that competition, unless Creswell is playing his mates.

Spot on Speedy - in fact reckon all those blokes would go okay. Shaun Daley came up here after a stellar career at Albury and with all due respect, he is a very very good footballer in the Nth Conference but i wouldn't be saying he is some sort of freak! He doesn't dominate games. Sometimes a bit too much due reverance is paid to Vic country footy...

Peter Young Surfers coach for 2015

"Tiger G,

Are you having Fish & Chips for Breakfast this morning? "Young" to Surfers is old, old news, about a week after the his ACT side pulled out of the NEAFL a move North was on the cards.

I feel a little bit miffed for Zorko though - He has a lot of up side to his current coaching credibility, Coaching Surfers would not have been a walk in the park over the past few years, due to the changing dynamics and the very large ego's that exist within the club, I would not be surprised if Southport had a chat to him as an assistant coach - while waiting in the wings for another own right opportunity again, when it comes around.

"Tiger G,

Are you having Fish & Chips for Breakfast this morning? "Young" to Surfers is old, old news, about a week after the his ACT side pulled out of the NEAFL a move North was on the cards.

I feel a little bit miffed for Zorko though - He has a lot of up side to his current coaching credibility, Coaching Surfers would not have been a walk in the park over the past few years, due to the changing dynamics and the very large ego's that exist within the club, I would not be surprised if Southport had a chat to him as an assistant coach - while waiting in the wings for another own right opportunity again, when it comes around.
Well excuse me for being behind the times scoop....

Spot on Speedy - in fact reckon all those blokes would go okay. Shaun Daley came up here after a stellar career at Albury and with all due respect, he is a very very good footballer in the Nth Conference but i wouldn't be saying he is some sort of freak! He doesn't dominate games. Sometimes a bit too much due reverance is paid to Vic country footy...
So you seen the result from state game this year, against a 4th or 5th ranked Vic team?

Rep footy results are irrelevant - they are a reflection of who wishes to play, not how good the comp is. The GVFL won the Vic Country champs for a few years but the O&M and GFL would have pretty good claims on being better. The bottom line is Daley didn't smash everyone in a league nothing like the QAFL and yet was a super player in the O&M. All i'm saying is that very good players from the QAFL could easily hold their own in the O&M based on this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back