2014 QFA Northern Conference

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm can say my relationship with Normo is pretty close, I know the deals, I know what Caloundra threw at Normo and the Jed Turner debacle. Honestly it's no ones business and clubs deals should not be spoken of or on forums. If a club offers a player 50000, big deal, help the player. Great. As long as the club can afford it and survives, good luck to the club and player. I believe any business deal, football, work or wages is between the Body and the person. No one else's concern or business to get involved.

Except, you know, it's supposed to be an amateur competition.

Wrong competition mate, next div down.

So we're in a professional competition, are we? What's the salary cap then? What meausres does AFLQ employ to ensure a level playing field? Just because 'amateur' isn't in the comp name, doesn't mean it isn't one.

Whether it's true or not in this particular case, a $10K signing bonus (with match payments supposedly on top) for one player in a third tier competition is just ridiculous. That's the sort of money league players are earning in the Queensland Cup (only a semi-pro comp itself), and we are a long way short of that standard.

That sort of money being thrown around a comp like this isn't what we want or need! It just creates a gulf between the clubs that have money and the ones that don't! A perfect example of this is the Ovens & Murray comp in Vic in which Albury & Yarrawonga have it seems an unlimited amout of cash to pay high profile recruits which has resulted in them playing off in the last 6 GF's.

Tough round for tipping

Nambour
Mayne
Maroochy
Kedron

That sort of money being thrown around a comp like this isn't what we want or need! It just creates a gulf between the clubs that have money and the ones that don't! A perfect example of this is the Ovens & Murray comp in Vic in which Albury & Yarrawonga have it seems an unlimited amout of cash to pay high profile recruits which has resulted in them playing off in the last 6 GF's.
Agree X-F, but dont worry yourselves that payment didnt happen, clubs in this comp do not pay anyone that sort of money, I can assure you.
Someone's having a lend of SC.

Caloundra had, I don't know if he is still there, a represtivtive of your club throwing contracts around willy nilly. Over inflating any player on the coast. So don't you think that one character is
no it was closer to 25k, and then we have the Jackson Ryan deal, don't go there. Huge

So we're in a professional competition, are we? What's the salary cap then? What meausres does AFLQ employ to ensure a level playing field? Just because 'amateur' isn't in the comp name, doesn't mean it isn't one.

Whether it's true or not in this particular case, a $10K signing bonus (with match payments supposedly on top) for one player in a third tier competition is just ridiculous. That's the sort of money league players are earning in the Queensland Cup (only a semi-pro comp itself), and we are a long way short of that standard.
We play footy to win premierships so if a club wants to spend money to get the best players, then thats ok by me. so caboolture don't pay any players at all. If Normo got 10k sign on Im never taken my wallet to footy again.

Last edited:
Just make sure you are wearing steel caps when he drops it GK..

I spose anyone can throw figures around, no one said they have to be accurate. Considering the only reason Maroochydore did not get in the QAFL was bc of finances I'm pretty sure they aren't going to be throwing 10 gorillas at 1 bloke + match payments.

And Danny, of course $$ changes hands in this comp; Caloundra are spending a fair bit btw ;), and it has never been set up to be a pure amateur comp. I would suggest if Caboolture aren't paying 1 player this year then you are the only club in this comp not doing so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We play footy to win premierships so if a club wants to spend money to get the best players, then thats ok
by me. so caboolture don't pay
any players at all. If Normo got
10k sign on Im never taken my
wallet to footy again.
I agree GK, to a point... If a club can attract match winners for cash & achieve success and without it being deemed "illegal" then what are we discussing.... Personally as long as the sustainability is there then kudos....however if paying some guns means winning a flag then dropping to a 1 side comp due to lack of numbers ie
disgruntled unpaid local lads & guns moving on then the model should questioned.... I still think the best payments are across the board $X a win $Y a loss..

Caloundra had, I don't know if he is still there, a represtivtive of your club throwing contracts around willy nilly. Over
inflating any player on the coast.
So don't you think that one
character is no it was closer to 25k, and then we have the Jackson Ryan deal, don't go there.
Huge
$10 million over 9 years?

And Danny, of course $$ changes hands in this comp; Caloundra are spending a fair bit btw ;), and it has never been set up to be a pure amateur comp. I would suggest if Caboolture aren't paying 1 player this year then you are the only club in this comp not doing so.

I don't remember saying that it didn't. My point was that if it's not a strictly professional comp, then it is by definition an amateur one.

I have no problem with clubs paying players, which it sounds like a lot in this comp are. I just think if that's the case, the AFLQ have a responsibility to 1) acknowledge it and 2) ensure a level playing field. Along with a cap on player payments, there should be a minimum set as well, that if you can't afford to meet you don't make the grade. I realise the difficulties involved in policing it at this level, but if nothing's done you end up with the gulf between the haves and have-nots that XF described above.

Tough round for tipping

Nambour
Mayne
Maroochy
Kedron
With you on the tips this week Tiger G.

Nambour by 6 goals
Mayne by 8 goals
Maroochydore by 8 goals
Kedron by 1 goal

A few Kedron names unavailable this weekend, however their depth of players showed last week and should be able to overcome the tigers at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fwiw robina have gone to a pretty heavily scaled incentive type set up for Bog awards. This gives everyone the opp to earn some cash.

Granted we are all here to win a flag but history suggests trying to buy one with a cpl of top end guns has never worked and rips a club apart.

Probably cliched but champion team vs team of champions and all that.

I mean look at the Andy Lovett experiment. Quick way to drop between 5-10k for zero return.

Caloundra had, I don't know if he is still there, a represtivtive of your club throwing contracts around willy nilly. Over inflating any player on the coast. So don't you think that one character is

no it was closer to 25k, and then we have the Jackson Ryan deal, don't go there. Huge

We had a rep of our club doing something like that but in his defence he wasn't throwing a heap of money around. The recruits that we have got this year have been set up with jobs and that's about the extent of it. We are trying to build a really good family culture at the club. We have 3 sets of brothers in the senior club and a great junior set up which is great for the future moving forward

Fwiw robina have gone to a pretty heavily scaled incentive type set up for Bog awards. This gives everyone the opp to earn some cash.

Granted we are all here to win a flag but history suggests trying to buy one with a cpl of top end guns has never worked and rips a club apart.

Probably cliched but champion team vs team of champions and all that.

I mean look at the Andy Lovett experiment. Quick way to drop between 5-10k for zero return.
Did he actually take that money BOC??

We had a rep of our club doing something like that but in his defence he wasn't throwing a heap of money around. The recruits that we have got this year have been set up with jobs and that's about the extent of it. We are trying to build a really good family culture at the club. We have 3 sets of brothers in the senior club and a great junior set up which is great for the future moving forward

Reckon work, by and large, is the biggest incentive for most guys. In fact think non cash payments of some sort is better than cash.

Reckon work, by and large, is the biggest incentive for most guys. In fact think non cash payments of some sort is better than cash.

Totally agree smy1305 especially with how hard it is for some people to find work when relocating. Work is the best thing that a club can do for a new recruit so they can settle into life on the coast quicker

Whats with the bus I see traveling around the coast ? Just a way to get more $ from sponsors because of the coast wide publicity. Do the players get to use the bus, hire it out or anything

Nambour
Mayne
Maroochydore
Noosa

Remove this Banner Ad

Back