2014 QFA Southern Conference

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the wildest trips I've been on - we ended up on the same flight to Bali and staying at the same hotel as a rival team in the same competition.

Predictions for this weekend?
Alex by 2 goals
Robina by 15 goals
Kenmore by 3 goals
Springwood by 10 goals
Yeronga to continue its good form against the bye.

Yeah a few blokes are doing via Hawaii as a trade off to their partners for leave passes - but as a cliche that gets used in footy goes "do whatever it takes" haha

I think at least 10 of us are single so expect it to get well out of hand.

Hopefully both grades can bounce back tomorrow against cooly.

Yeah a few blokes are doing via Hawaii as a trade off to their partners for leave passes - but as a cliche that gets used in footy goes "do whatever it takes" haha

I think at least 10 of us are single so expect it to get well out of hand.

Hopefully both grades can bounce back tomorrow against cooly.

Hey mate, see Robina kicked 31 goals today,,,, did Fults get a bag??

Hey mate, see Robina kicked 31 goals today,,,, did Fults get a bag??
Hey mate - yeah think he finished with 11. I left at half time to go watch second half of Pbc v mside and he had 2.6 - wasn't hitting them great but said he felt better in the second half.

Big thanks to cooly - appreciate they are struggling but to scrap a team together to play 2s that consisted on old boys and 1's backing up was much appreciated. Had they of forfeited we would have gone bye, forfeit, league bye which would have really been s**t!!

Agree BOC. No one wants to forfeit or even have a forfeit against so good on Cooli for having a crack to get a side together. Sad that some players go missing for away games especially against top sides (not saying that's Cooli's situation). 3 games left for some, and this old body is almost looking forward to the break!

Agree BOC. No one wants to forfeit or even have a forfeit against so good on Cooli for having a crack to get a side together. Sad that some players go missing for away games especially against top sides (not saying that's Cooli's situation). 3 games left for some, and this old body is almost looking forward to the break!
was actually there home game swoopa so suggests they are looking forward to the end of the year as well.

not sure if have injuries or unavailability or what but yeah pretty sad to see a team that was playing top league 12 months ago really struggling in this div.

Yeah BOC I threw the away games thing in there because it is often hard for struggling teams to get blokes to travel. Getting them to show up when the result is likely to be the wrong side of a spanking is hard too.
I know Cooli will bounce back and I really hope they do.

Got a first hand look at Springwood over the weekend, and think that Robina will be the side to test their Ressies and that result will come down to the fittest list on the day. Hard seeing anyone testing their seniors really so if Robina seniors don't get to the big dance I'd say their Ressies will get the benefit of a few extra top end players to pick from.

And there I'll be... On the sidelines, patronising whichever bar it is!

Thoughts on good grounds for finals? Keeping it to the teams in this league.

Yeah BOC I threw the away games thing in there because it is often hard for struggling teams to get blokes to travel. Getting them to show up when the result is likely to be the wrong side of a spanking is hard too.
I know Cooli will bounce back and I really hope they do.

Got a first hand look at Springwood over the weekend, and think that Robina will be the side to test their Ressies and that result will come down to the fittest list on the day. Hard seeing anyone testing their seniors really so if Robina seniors don't get to the big dance I'd say their Ressies will get the benefit of a few extra top end players to pick from.

And there I'll be... On the sidelines, patronising whichever bar it is!

Thoughts on good grounds for finals? Keeping it to the teams in this league.

Have to be Coorparoo or Yeronga for the grand final.

Unfortunately swoopa due to injuries in the seniors there are a handful of guys who are over the threshold that would be unavailable if the reserves played on a stand alone weekend - basically worst case scenario for us.

How good a final 2 months are the seniors in for with % separating 2nd to 5th!

Raised this on the other forum - GF day could be very interesting in Brisbane.

Hypothetically - Springwood win the second semi... would think they would look to host the day at either Yeronga or kings. Yeronga the form side of the comp atm so not unreasonable to think they could make the gf - so lets say gf is held at Kings.

Northern comp - Mayne win the second semi - would think either Aspley / Wilson grange or even Yeronga as options for a gf location perhaps?

aflq would want to hope the panthers don't drop the second semi or they would host a prelim final in bris at a neutral ground.

could spread crowds pretty thin when u look at it like that.

and yes we are still extremely bitter about getting told we couldn't have last years gf at broadbeach despite winning the second semi as we wouldn't get enough people to the ground...( completely tongue in cheek and in no way is this the only reason we think we didn't win both flags..... or is it.... hahaha)

We (Cooly) are just really struggling for numbers due to losing 16 of our players from last year who were pretty good players it's always hard to get up every week and the phone bill is getting a work out ringing players to play 2's. Most boys are running out 2 games a week it puts a lot of pressure on the body after 16 rounds. We will just keep having a crack in the last few games and hopefully we can get a few players for next year and have a bit more success.

I've been at Cooly for 13 years now and weve been through some tough times and some good times so hopefully we get back to that soon.

just out of interest Borto, did 16 blokes retire or did they seek greener pastures?

hard to believe a side can go from Div 1 (admittedly at the bottom) to rockbottom of Div 2 in 12 months.

Given where you finished in Div 1, I wouldn't have thought there was huge demand from QAFL clubs to poach your players, so assume they just hung up the boots?

Borto cheers for the reply. As I said we appreciate the effort that went into fielding a team.

We have similar issues with our div 4 team. 40 blokes training at start of year yet now we are flat out scrapping 18 together to avoid a thousand buck fine each week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just out of interest Borto, did 16 blokes retire or did they seek greener pastures?

hard to believe a side can go from Div 1 (admittedly at the bottom) to rockbottom of Div 2 in 12 months.

Given where you finished in Div 1, I wouldn't have thought there was huge demand from QAFL clubs to poach your players, so assume they just hung up the boots?

Alot went back to Melbourne come up for a year and didnt find secure work lived the gold coast dream and left. A couple went up into the QAFL which is totally understandable that they are trying to get the best out of there footy.

We always have a high turnover of players every year but this year we hardly got any from interstate due to no jobs or lack of intrest. There would only be about 5 of us that have been here from juniors and it just doesnt cross our mind to ever leave the club.
We won a flag in under 18's 2007 and if we still had most of those players we would of had a bit more success but thats footy in QLD i guess alot of people just chase money and we dont have the coin unfourtenly.

Very good point about the Gold Coast dream!! Plenty come up and get chewed up and spat out pretty quick hey!!

Interesting point about $$ - had someone suggest dougie and wisey were worth about a grand a game to you - was someone from cooly as well. Obviously take that with a grain of salt - but wouldn't have thought either were sticking around purely for the friendships!

Very good point about the Gold Coast dream!! Plenty come up and get chewed up and spat out pretty quick hey!!

Interesting point about $$ - had someone suggest dougie and wisey were worth about a grand a game to you - was someone from cooly as well. Obviously take that with a grain of salt - but wouldn't have thought either were sticking around purely for the friendships!

Not sure how much those boys get paid But where all good mates down here. I've known Dougy for a long time and he's been around this club just as long as I have and has had success here. He's real close with the boys and we all respect him as a coach and a player but most of all as a mate. If he had the talent on his list he could take the club higher up the ladder no doubt in my mind.

Hopefully we have a good off season with recruits,SPONSORS and keeping the blokes that are committed to the club to help us climb the ladder to where we would like. Notice the big wording for sponsors hint hint anyone out there we need sponsors lol

Mate definitely not a knock on dougie - played with him in tas and is a champion bloke - u only have to look at what he achieved with cooly early before going to southport to understand his footy pedigree.

Yeah it's definitely tough out there for amateur clubs - we are very lucky we have a cpl of great sponsors however I think we put considerably more back over the bar at LIV on a Saturday night then just the best on awards!!

I hear you there BOC- we had the same situation last year with us looking at both grades making finals, if the seniors had missed it could've effected the ressies side. Luckily though it panned out that the majority of guys had played enough Ressies games to qualify. I can't remember exact numbers but it was something like 3+ seniors games needed 5+ ressies games? Not sure if that's still the same.

I agree with the GF locations and I remember a call from the Gold Coast bulletin asking me to comment on your Grand Final location ha ha

Great effort from yeronga today. First time this year that any side has got that close to a win against the puma's. Would love to hear from anyone who was at the game.

Things really heating up with a cracking round this week to probably shape 2-5th with Burleigh springwood and robina yeronga.

Be interesting to see how the game played out - yeronga more scoring shots but falling short.

Both yeronga and springwood with senior players coming back through the 2s on the weekend means will only get stronger.

Fair play to coomera as well almost getting a big scalp in the kings. Credit where credit is due in biting the bullet and coming up a div and have probably been competitive in a lot more matches then people expected.

Fair play to coomera as well almost getting a big scalp in the kings. Credit where credit is due in biting the bullet and coming up a div and have probably been competitive in a lot more matches then people expected.
Thanks BOC I know the boys would appreciate that we are getting some respect.

Although we are sitting where we are, we are lucky enough to have a fantastic coaching staff and committee that are able to look past results, and see development.

In both sides this week we would have had 10 players under 18, and another 10 under 21. That coupled with a growing junior base is the exact reason we decided to take the step up this year.

We would have loved to be playing finals football (most likely) in Div 3 however I personal am happy with the development of our squad.

Always next year :)

Does everyone think the same clubs will compete in this next season? Maybe Springwood will get the nod to go up to the QAFL, especially if Sandgate decide to drop a div? Thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back