2014 Recruitment

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it is early and trade week hasn’t started but an early look at who we should target in terms of recruiting for 2014 so we can mount a serious premiership defence
The VFL is going to be more competitive than ever next year with 2 AFL Clubs (Bulldogs and Tigers ) going it alone which means 2 VFL Clubs (Wiilamstown and Coburg) will be out their rectruiting even harder and then take into account Port have already lost at least 8 or 9 senior players and they have stated they are going to rebuild in an aggresive manner. The queue for players is going to be longer than ever before.
The other factor that also needs to be considered is apart from the expanded competition, the one certainty every year is the turnover of players on VFL lists and Box Hill is no exception.

As we don’t know the full ist of available players as yet, however we do know that we always get a good number of Eastern Rangers and Oakleigh Charges graduates each season. In saying that, I have focused on Tasmanians primarily because of their sponsorship of the HFC – and of course our very own Sammy Isles!!

A few names to get the conversation started.

Jacob Gilbee (Gold Coast Suns) – Lock and Isles are also both former Suns and that turned out very very well.
Marcus Davies (Carlton)
Aaaron Joseph (Carlton)
Jesse Crichton (Fremantle)
Aaron Cornelius (Brisbane)

Although not Tasmanian another player and former skipper I would love to see return – Lukas Markovic
We don’t know as yet what is happening with Litherland, Kelly or Cheney at the hawks so to have someone with Markovic’s experience and size planted at CHB would be a massive bonus.

Obviously a lot is going to happen between now and the AFL rookie drafts but you can be rest assured, all state leagues clubs over the country have already started their recruiting process!

Joseph has signed at Glenelg (SANFL)
Davies has signed at Port Melbourne (VFL)
Cornelius has signed on as captian / coach at Glenorchy (TFL)
Crichton has signed on at Werribee (VFL)
Gilbee has signed at Central Districts (SANFL)
Matt Suckling (ex Norwood) has signed at Collingwood (VFL)

Interesting point of note - former Sandringham Dragon and Port Melbourne player Matt Suckling who has played at Norwood the past 3 years and is now a dual SANFL premiership player, is returning to Victoria.
Hard at it inside midfielder. If the rumours are correct and Luke Andrews is looking elsewhere, a handy replacement.
For the record - unless Luke is rookie listed I would hate to see him leave. Shocking run with injury this year and would be devastated to miss out on playing in a premiership.
Matt Suckling has signed on with the Collingwood VFL team

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2013-11-28/suckling-joins-the-vfl-magpies

Over the past number of years the BHH have recruited extremely well signing up a lot of players delisted by AFL clubs in addition to many graduates from the TAC who have represented Victorian Metro in the National Championships and/or featured strongly in the Eastern Ranges and Oakleigh Chargers best and fairest awards. It is likely our recruiting will not be as productive in 2014 for two very good reasons. Firstly Footscray and Richmond are fielding non affiliated VFL teams and as a result there are two additional stand alone teams namely Williamstown and Coburg. This means Footscray and Richmond will need to sign up a number of mature aged players to be competitive and also to support their younger players. In addition Williamstown and Coburg will no doubt follow the path of Port Melbourne and Frankston by attracting recruits with the promise of playing senior football. Secondly the HFC has a very strong list and the depth of the list will limit the opportunities for BHH listed players to play senior football. This means our VFL competitors, especially the non aligned clubs, will push the line that they can provide a better opportunity for players to play senior football. The positive the BHH can push is the club's strong culture and the excellent record of developing young players.

To date I would only rate Bryce Retzlaff as the loss of a required player. I understand VFL and TAC players are being offered good money by clubs in the EFL and other suburban and country leagues however that should not have too much of an impact on players who have the ability and drive to pursue an AFL dream. I'm really looking forward to watching the Mustang Hawkers in 2014.

Hh do you think Bryce moved on because with Grimmers and TOB projected to be KPF's and Cegs and Lowden resting forward that he really had no option but look elsewhere?

My understanding is Bryce received a football offer with employment which was too good to refuse. He could have played as a key back or forward so the HFC listed players were unlikely to have played a part in his decision. The BHH should have an oversupply of key forwards and onballers so a key defender role would have to be a recruiting priority.

My understanding is Bryce received a football offer with employment which was too good to refuse. He could have played as a key back or forward so the HFC listed players were unlikely to have played a part in his decision. The BHH should have an oversupply of key forwards and onballers so a key defender role would have to be a recruiting priority.

HH - really enjoy your comments and insights. Can you shed any light on why so little was seen of both Luke Andrews and Josh Ralph last season - I'm guessing injury?

HH - really enjoy your comments and insights. Can you shed any light on why so little was seen of both Luke Andrews and Josh Ralph last season - I'm guessing injury?
Luke Andrews was injued most of the year and Ralphy less than fit for most of the year :D

Luke injured his knee early in the season and missed multiple weeks before playing a couple of games in the development team towards the last quarter of the season however his knee wasn't right. He had surgery post season and will hopefully be available at some stage in the 2014 season. I think Josh received an apprenticeship and therefore could not attend the training required to play VFL. He finished up playing local football in the EFL and without the dedication to training he certainly stacked on the weight. He played one game in the development team towards the end of the season however he was a shadow [not in stature] of the player who carried the ruck in the 2011 premiership team. Watching Josh play this year made me really appreciate the hard work required for him to get fit and play at such a high standard prior to this season. If Josh reads this discussion I hope he challenges Dash to a match race because I'd have my money on him :D.

Luke injured his knee early in the season and missed multiple weeks before playing a couple of games in the development team towards the last quarter of the season however his knee wasn't right. He had surgery post season and will hopefully be available at some stage in the 2014 season. I think Josh received an apprenticeship and therefore could not attend the training required to play VFL. He finished up playing local football in the EFL and without the dedication to training he certainly stacked on the weight. He played one game in the development team towards the end of the season however he was a shadow [not in stature] of the player who carried the ruck in the 2011 premiership team. Watching Josh play this year made me really appreciate the hard work required for him to get fit and play at such a high standard prior to this season. If Josh reads this discussion I hope he challenges Dash to a match race because I'd have my money on him :D.
over 100 ....im in ....:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Tigers arent mucking around with their stand alone team - some very impressive but more importantly experienced recruits - and don't forget Big max Bailey will be playing some games for them as a development coach.
Add to this they picked up 3 matured aged rookies - Matt Thomas, Todd Banfield and Anthony Miles

2014 VFL Playing List

Ross Young (c)

DOB:09.09.83 | 178cm | 83kg
Recruited from: University Blues Football Club

The inaugural captain of Richmond’s standalone VFL team, 30-year-old midfielder Ross Young has a plethora of football experience, including a stint on Carlton’s list in 2007, starting as a rookie, before being elevated to the seniors and playing six AFL games. He moved west and made his name for Perth Football Club in the WAFL as a premiership player, captain, league best and fairest and club best and fairest. Young’s combined skill, leadership and experience will help to develop and guide Richmond’s emerging players.
spacer.gif
divline.gif

Ed Barlow

DOB: 27.01.87 | 195cm | 94kg
Recruited from: Old Scotch Football Club

Barlow played 26 league games in four seasons with the Sydney Swans from 2007-10, and added another eight AFL games to his career with the Western Bulldogs in 2011. The 26-year-old tall utility arrives at Tigerland after most recently playing for Old Scotch in 2013. His experience and versatility allows him to play as a key position player at either end of the ground.
divline.gif

Ryan Bathie

DOB: 15.04.87 | 193cm | 97.5kg
Recruited from: Geelong Cats

A former NBL and US college basketballer, the 26-year-old key position player was rookie-listed by Geelong at the end of 2010. At 198cm and 102kg, the athletic big man played 55 VFL games for the Cats over three seasons, starting as a defender, before moving into the forward line, where he booted 30 goals in 2013. He adds strength, size and solid VFL experience to Richmond’s VFL team.
divline.gif

Nathan Batsanis

DOB: 18.03.88 | 181cm | 79kg
Recruited from: Port Melbourne

A speedy midfielder with a long kick, Batsanis spent time on Port Adelaide’s rookie list in 2007. After moving on from Port, the 25-year-old became a premiership wingman with VFL club Port Melbourne in 2011, then headed to SANFL club Norwood to play in 2012, where he finished fourth in the Magarey Medal, before moving back to Port Melbourne in 2013.
spacer.gif
divline.gif

Chris Clay

DOB: 29.01.88 | 180cm | 82kg
Recruited from: Casey Scorpions

A utility player recruited after playing five seasons at Casey Scorpions, including a solid contribution to the Scorpions’ 2012 finals campaign. The 25-year-old’s ball-winning ability and versatility make him a reliable addition to the Tigers’ VFL outfit. Clay will be looking for a strong season in 2014 after an injury interrupted pre-season in 2013.
spacer.gif
divline.gif

Luke Collins

DOB: 14.11.80 | 181cm | 90kg
Recruited from: Sale Football Club

The experienced midfielder has played at VFL level at a number of clubs, and represented Vic Country in 2012 and 2013 when he played for Sale. A courageous player with outstanding leadership, Collins’ selfless acts, tackling and ability to win the contested ball, along with his encouraging demeanour, make for a positive character to help develop Richmond’s young players.
divline.gif

Luke Conca

DOB: 24.10.90 | 169cm | 80kg
Recruited from: Surrey Park

The 23-year-old hard-nut captained Western Australia in a game against Victoria in 2012, and played the 2013 season for Surrey Park in Victoria’s Eastern Football League. He took out the Club’s best and fairest award after playing all 16 games and booting 35 goals for the season, the most of any Surrey midfielder. Conca is the older brother of Richmond midfielder, Reece.
divline.gif

Pat Contin

DOB: 23.05.91 | 184cm | 84kg
Recruited from: Leongatha Football Club

An agile inside midfielder with the potential to play a number of positions in Richmond’s VFL side. The 22-year-old returns to Tigerland after being on the Tigers’ rookie list from 2010-11. In addition to his playing ability, Contin’s exceptional character and familiarity with the Club, its coaches and players makes him a valuable recruit for Richmond’s VFL team.
divline.gif

Aaron Davey

DOB: 10.06.83 | 177cm | 76kg
Recruited from: Melbourne Football Club

The recently retired Melbourne utility played 178 league games and booted 174 goals over a decorated 10-year AFL career which included a club best and fairest, selection in the Indigenous All-Stars team, and Australian squad for the International Series against Ireland. The 30-year-old’s pace, skill, experience and excellent leadership qualities are an asset to Richmond’s VFL team and players, and he’ll also have a coaching and mentoring role with VFL side.
divline.gif

Gerard Gleeson

DOB: 07.10.94 | 187cm | 91.5kg
Recruited from: St Kevins Old Boys Football Club

The strong-bodied 19-year-old is a tall midfielder, and played TAC Cup for Sandringham Dragons, then spent the 2013 season at St Kevins. A quick learner, Gleeson’s ability to win contested possessions is one of his strengths.
divline.gif

Mitch Keddell

DOB: 07.08.88 | 185cm | 86kg
Recruited from: Mooroopna Football Club

The 25-year-old half-back/wingman has played in the VFL, WAFL and most recently for Mooroopna in the Goulburn Valley Football League in 2013. A beautiful left-foot kick, the evasive wingman always finds time and space with the ball. His positive attitude will lift his younger teammates on and off the field.
divline.gif

Rian McGough

DOB: 23.04.88 | 180cm | 80.5kg
Recruited from: Tatura Football and Netball Club

Courageous midfielder/half-forward with good foot skills and can always find the ball. The 25-year-old was recruited to the Tigers after being a regular starter in the Casey Scorpions VFL team in 2012, before playing the 2013 season at Tatura with teammates Ben Waite and James Wall.
divline.gif

Andrew McQualter

DOB: 09.06.86 | 177cm | 76kg
Recruited from: Southport Sharks

A first round draft pick in 2004 by St Kilda, the midfielder/half-forward played 89 senior games for the Saints, including three AFL grand final appearances from 2005-2011. In 2012, he crossed to the Gold Coast Suns, adding another five league games as a member of the club’s leadership group. The 27-year-old is one of the newest development coaches at Richmond, working with both the VFL and AFL squads. His leadership, experience and knowledge will provide valuable insight both on and off the field for Richmond’s senior and VFL players.
divline.gif

Dan Schibeci

DOB: 05.01.92 | 180cm | 82.5kg
Recruited from: Maribyrnong Park

The versatile left footer has played multiple seasons at VFL level with Werribee, and most recently represented Maribyrnong Park under coach Brodie Holland. The life-long Richmond supporter is happy to land at the Club he loves, and his running ability and long kicking will be an asset to the team.
divline.gif

Ben Waite

DOB: 30.06.84 | 188cm | 96.5kg

This big-bodied key forward has the versatility to also play in defence and has had VFL experience at multiple clubs. He played the 2013 season at Tatura with teammates James Wall and Rian McGough, and his on-field aggression, tackling and contested marking make him a valuable recruit. The natural leader will be vocal and encouraging for his younger teammates.
divline.gif

James Wall

DOB: 05.01.87 | 198cm | 90.5kg

A two-time state representative, dual Casey Scorpions Best and Fairest winner and four-time VFL Team of the Year recipient are some of the credentials to James Wall’s football career. At 198cm, Wall, 26, has the versatility to play a variety of roles, and he spent the 2006 season on Sydney’s rookie list, then switched to St Kilda’s rookie list the following year. Wall played the 2013 season for Tatura, in the Goulburn Valley Football League with fellow Richmond VFL teammates Rian McGough and Ben Waite, before the trio moved to Richmond.
divline.gif

Nick Wynne

DOB: 26.08.89 | 188cm | 89kg
Recruited from: Old Xaverians Football Club

A premiership player with Old Xaverians in 2013, the competitive 24-year-old is a natural defender and has the ability to play in most areas of the ground. A highly composed player with strong overhead marking ability, Wynne will always back himself in a one-on-one contest.

Don't reckon we need any big name recruits...We have enuf quality kids in our system at the minute without blocking their opportunities for advancement!...Seniors Premiership & Development Squad Grand Final placings back that notion up!

Disagree. You need support around the young kids. So be it if the the young kids have to play some games in the Development side. Lowden, Grimley, Dureya have all dont it in the past and it has served them well and the Hawks are about to reap the benefits of a solid grounding and patience.
We need to replace Pratt and Retzlaff and although Wilsen and Johnson were not regulars they provided depth as key position players.
Expecting a lot of improvment from young Sam Collins this year and hopefully he becomes a regular in the seniors.
Would love for Box Hill to post on their website the arrivals and departures!

Disagree. You need support around the young kids. So be it if the the young kids have to play some games in the Development side. Lowden, Grimley, Dureya have all dont it in the past and it has served them well and the Hawks are about to reap the benefits of a solid grounding and patience.
We need to replace Pratt and Retzlaff and although Wilsen and Johnson were not regulars they provided depth as key position players.
Expecting a lot of improvment from young Sam Collins this year and hopefully he becomes a regular in the seniors.
Would love for Box Hill to post on their website the arrivals and departures!

Fair enuf Caseman.....I will defend your right to disagree!

However, If the club really needed those players you mentioned then I feel we would have fought to hold onto them!...

I agree with your comments re Wilsen & Johnson, but they will both be 24 next year & deserve the chance at regular senior action....Indeed young Collins, Brand & Gordon are ready made replacements to fill said void, particularly with Tatupu, Heatherley & Willsmore coming into the Development squad!

We also have the Experience of Mirra, Iles, Ross, Cheney, Wanganeen & Lowden; so don't really see the need for any more experience to be brought in. As these guys, along with Andrews, Lock, Tobin, Thompson & Murphy provide ample!

Add in the continued improvement of Wood, Cust, Exon, O'Donnell, Lawlor & Northe, then I reckon we will be just fine!

Willie to be whacked.

WILLIAMSTOWN SALARY CAP BREACH

The following is a statement from AFL Victoria regarding a Salary Cap breach by Williamstown Football Club in the Peter Jackson VFL.

December 20, 2013
AFL Victoria has sanctioned the Williamstown Football Club for breaching the competition Salary Cap during the 2013 Peter Jackson VFL season

http://www.aflvic.com.au/williamstown-salaray-cap-breach/

So it's nearly Xmas and who has Box Hill signed up ?

Just because we won the Premiership this year does not mean we can rest on our success, we need to recruit 4-6 players, I have not read or heard of a new player that Box Hill has singed up for season 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back