List Mgmt. 2014 Rookie Draft - Diamonds in the rough...

Agenfrida

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
Parts unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Morabito is a dumb footballer, doesn't make him less of a future gun.... Footy smarts are important but for someone like morabito, you can wind him up and let him go!

I don't think clancew Pearce is a particularly smart footballer, ballantyne is clever with his skills but continually does stupid things....

High in footy iq for freo would be johnson and walters...
Would love for you to give an example or two. I'll refrain from any wisecracks for the moment. Pretty hard though to see how you could classify Mora as a dumb footballer when he's spent 95% of his career on the injury list. I wouldn't say Clancee has a great football brain, but he's never struck me as a dummy either. Again, what examples can you give to show this? I'm thinking they'll be few and far between.

UFO Tatsu

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 11, 2012
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would love for you to give an example or two. I'll refrain from any wisecracks for the moment. Pretty hard though to see how you could classify Mora as a dumb footballer when he's spent 95% of his career on the injury list. I wouldn't say Clancee has a great football brain, but he's never struck me as a dummy either. Again, what examples can you give to show this? I'm thinking they'll be few and far between.

taking that into consideration, "wut?!?" was the best i could do

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
from a Carlton supporter

More frustrated about cutting Lucas with Mclean's position covered by Whiley. Swings and roundabouts if Lucas didn't tear his hamstring twice and have both hips operated on in his first season. Looked a senior player from his first or second game.

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Sorry to intrude guys. Came across this thread and seen Grant Weeks being talked about. I'm from bendigo way in Vic. Weeks spent a lot of time with Golden Square in the BFl. The guy is a freak! At 25 I doubt he would take up a contract. He gets paid crazy amounts of money in the bush. Think GWS offered him a deal when they started and he wasn't interested. He is a really laid back guy that runs a farm. Heard some awesome story's about him. No gym work, no fitness work. Just rocks up to training and is the fittest bloke running around. From all reports during footy season (harvest season) he sits on a tractor and smokes a pack a day haha

Feb 18, 2014
Victorian Cheer Squad
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Leyton Orient, Peel, Glory, MU, TCU
Sorry to intrude guys. Came across this thread and seen Grant Weeks being talked about. I'm from bendigo way in Vic. Weeks spent a lot of time with Golden Square in the BFl. The guy is a freak! At 25 I doubt he would take up a contract. He gets paid crazy amounts of money in the bush. Think GWS offered him a deal when they started and he wasn't interested. He is a really laid back guy that runs a farm. Heard some awesome story's about him. No gym work, no fitness work. Just rocks up to training and is the fittest bloke running around. From all reports during footy season (harvest season) he sits on a tractor and smokes a pack a day haha

Sounds like an absolute bloody legend!

Agenfrida

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
Parts unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
haha, that could mean that the guys on his team are really, really unfit :D

clogged

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 4, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree that Robinson is better than Suban, but Suban's a fringe player, we don't need to increase our depth, we need to improve our best 22.
Fringe players don't play 21 games.

I wonder if BeinPurplenGreen is going to tell people off for saying Suban is s**t.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe but I like to think a positive role model is somebody who hasn't gone to jail.

Gaol does not have to be his defining moment, if he has used it to motivate him to work through it and be a better person ....he might just be a bloody good role model for everyone.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Gaol does not have to be his defining moment, if he has used it to motivate him to work through it and be a better person ....he might just be a bloody good role model for everyone.
Yeah a role model for people who have gone to jail and as far as I know Simpson has not gone to jail so that kind of role model is not what he'd be looking for.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just watched the highlight package of Mathew Panos on afl.com.au. Id love for us to rookie list him if possible. He seems to have terrific skills and running ability. He played onball for the majority of last year, but I could see us developing him a replacement for the plus 1 defensive role that Johno plays. Either that, or he plays as another massive onballer that would provide greater flexibility with where we play Mundy and Fyfe. I think he could be the Barlow like selection of the 2014 draft.

Im hoping we draft Panos and Hamling as our selection in the rookie draft.

Last edited:

Wee Jessies

All Australian
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just watched the highlight package of Mathew Panos on afl.com.au. Id love for us to rookie list him if possible. He seems to have terrific skills and running ability. He played onball for the majority of last year, but I could see us developing him a replacement for the plus 1 defensive role that Johno plays. Either that, or he plays as another massive onballer that would provide greater flexibility with where we play Mundy and Fyfe. I think he could be the Barlow like selection of the 2014 draft.

Im hoping we draft Panos and Hamling as our selection in the rookie draft.
Great call if nothing else it will improve the Peel side in the short term, which in my view is very important to retaining and developing the younger players.

Bulldocker

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WB,Claremont,Seahawks,Canucks
Could be fairly happy with Panos and probably Hamling.
But Lucas? ...........hell no! Eagirls collect soft midfielders, not us.

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
One guy I liked the look of (I'm not sure if he's rookie list or not) was Nick Rodda from West Perth. He impressed me whenever I saw him play.

Mar 2, 2010
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
One guy I liked the look of (I'm not sure if he's rookie list or not) was Nick Rodda from West Perth. He impressed me whenever I saw him play.
Rodda was one that trained with us the same time we had Taberner, Howson etc.
The only thing I remember about him was he was shorter than the other talls our there and had tree trunks for legs.

Freo Dr

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rodda is a WAFL level forward IMO. Don't think he has the pace off the mark, extra bit of height or the tank to make it at AFL level.

Matthew Panos or Hamling as rookies def. worth a shot. Panos has become the multiposition tall mid/flanker we base on our team on. This is after we throw Josh a lifeline of course - raw talent like that is hard to find and worth persisting with.

Back