News 2014 Saints Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since when did the age says anything positive about the saints?

Surprise-packet Saints make strong statement to start AFL season

Alan Richardson ... said he wanted to make sure his Saints would be "a really competitive, aggressive, hard-working footy team". So far, he’s been true to his word.

St Kilda’s biggest statistical improvements thus far in 2014 have all been in key defensive aspects of the game. Richardson’s Saints like forcing stoppages and contests, and they’re doing it a lot better than did their predecessors. Last year, the Saints were forcing an average 58.2 stoppages a game, the second-least of any side in the competition. So far in 2014, that average has climbed to 72.7 and a ranking of sixth. It might not always make for the prettiest football, but so far it’s been pretty effective.

In 2013, St Kilda was minus two on the contested ball differentials, a ranking of 13th. After three games this season, the numbers are plus 6.7 and a ranking of sixth, just behind West Coast, which it beat for contested possession last Saturday. And that pressure is having a big impact on helping its defence stem the bleeding.

"The boys have been pretty good, really strong with their commitment to defend as a team. We’ve certainly ticked off that area so far," Richardson told SEN on Wednesday.

"They are young blokes and still need to improve in significant parts of their game, but they’re heading in the right direction, there’s no doubt about that,"

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-afl-season-20140409-zqssa.html#ixzz2yNdiYPh1

Last edited by a moderator:
How the H3ll did he get through to the rookie draft.
Bet there are a few recruiters being questioned at the moment.
Jack Frost, Jonathan Giles, Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Rockliff, our own Jarryn Geary. It happens.

Manimal_Dunstan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jack Frost, Jonathan Giles, Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Rockliff, our own Jarryn Geary. It happens.
Giles was originally a national draft selection though and Rockliff pre-season draft but replace them with Cox, Boyd, McDonald, Milne, Sandilands etc.

Giles was originally a national draft selection though and Rockliff pre-season draft but replace them with Cox, Boyd, McDonald, Milne, Sandilands etc.
Was going for more immediate successes, Rockliff was overlooked in the national draft so thought he was relevant.

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
How quick did the other rookies mentioned hit the park and start being noticed?

Eli is remarkable in that he has shown greatness in his first game in the NAB challenge and 100% kept his spot in his first H&A season on a list.

Radius

Cancelled
Dec 18, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
How quick did the other rookies mentioned hit the park and start being noticed?

Eli is remarkable in that he has shown greatness in his first game in the NAB challenge and 100% kept his spot in his first H&A season on a list.

Hair aside I see a heap of similarities between Eli and Dahlhaus. Quite similar playstyle, fantastic athleticism, both creative players etc. Would hope that Eli could develop at least as well as he has.

I could never understand how tom rockcliff could get through so late. I watched him in the tac grand final when it qas on fox footy he was basically 2nd to Steele side bottom and u was so hoping we would pick him up.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I could never understand how tom rockcliff could get through so late. I watched him in the tac grand final when it qas on fox footy he was basically 2nd to Steele side bottom and u was so hoping we would pick him up.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Rockliff actually fed Sidebottom at least 4 of his 10 goals & kicked 5 himself. He broke his leg the previous season & his draft currency dropped as a result. Just a pure footballer that I hoped we'd take but alas went with other less successful options

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

We have sold a game to NZ, that's it we shouldn't become a pack of gypsy's playing all over the place
One extra game for two or three years isn't the end of the world while we're not exactly swimming in money. Or we could play against Freo here and write Etihad a cheque... Decisions decisions.

Dopey BJ

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I would love to play Melbourne or the Bulldogs in New Zealand, crowd wouldn't be too high at Etihad anyway.
I reckon the plans would already be in place if things progress well, suck it and see a bit.

Another game in NZ that puts money in the coffers in stead of paying for Etihad just makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back