Position 2014 SC Midfielders

What structure are you going in with?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious to see the rest of your team.

If I post the rest of my team, especially my forwards I will cop a pasting on here. I'll just leave it with my midfield for now.
The structure I've gone for is:
2-0-6
7-0-3
1-1-2
2-0-6

I count players like Higgins a rookie. My most expensive "rookie" is Higgins.. And Beams is my cheapest premium.

Some undervalued guys in the mids at the moment:

Swan, 521k, BE 79 - 2 more games until his bye - self-explanatory

Griffen, 525k, BE 100 - 3 more games until his bye - has burnt some in the past but av'd 116.4 last year (to go with 106 and 108 the two years before that) so worth it at that price

Goddard, 514k, BE 199 (11 v Fremantle could have him around 420k soon!) - 4 more games until his bye - not a genuine 115+ premo but if you picked Goddard up after round 10 around 450k you could back him in for 105 average back end of the season I reckon which could be great value as M8 (as long as you nail M1-M7 and your other upgrades). I know most like to try take the top 8 mids, and that obviously makes sense, but still, if struggling to make the 600+ required for the true premos it could be a handy upgrade on Robertson/Cripps around that time

Montagna, 565k, BE 123 - 4 games until bye - back in vogue with a huge 140 v Essendon, Jack Steven attracting the tag. History wise, he should score well v Brisbane, average v Hawthorn, and good v Carlton & GC. Might still be able to get him around 550k-ish, av'd 114.8 last year, and has gone 115+ in 2 seasons before that too.

Obviously Ablett-Selwood-SJ-Pendles-Beams-Rockliff-(Fyfe) are the guys who are doing it weekly and should be priorities, but really, the M8 spot is wide open, I'd be hesitant to pay 600k for Barlow/Watson/Kennedy/Boyd when I could pay closer to 525k for Swan/Griffen, or even 450k for Goddard (which could be the difference between Nick Riewoldt and Cyril Rioli in the forwards with a 30 point difference compared to the 5-10 point difference between Watson-Goddard, or Barlow-Montagna etc)

why is swan risky?

proven SC gun time and time again
Ditto for Judd, but you're not going to select him even if he was injury free and on the park.

I'd rather see a bit of form from him first. If that means he costs more I'd rather pay more than bring him in and deal with scores in the 80's for a number of weeks.

Ditto for Judd, but you're not going to select him even if he was injury free and on the park.

I'd rather see a bit of form from him first. If that means he costs more I'd rather pay more than bring him in and deal with scores in the 80's for a number of weeks.
He has delivered form!

Some undervalued guys in the mids at the moment:

Swan, 521k, BE 79 - 2 more games until his bye - self-explanatory

Griffen, 525k, BE 100 - 3 more games until his bye - has burnt some in the past but av'd 116.4 last year (to go with 106 and 108 the two years before that) so worth it at that price

Goddard, 514k, BE 199 (11 v Fremantle could have him around 420k soon!) - 4 more games until his bye - not a genuine 115+ premo but if you picked Goddard up after round 10 around 450k you could back him in for 105 average back end of the season I reckon which could be great value as M8 (as long as you nail M1-M7 and your other upgrades). I know most like to try take the top 8 mids, and that obviously makes sense, but still, if struggling to make the 600+ required for the true premos it could be a handy upgrade on Robertson/Cripps around that time

Montagna, 565k, BE 123 - 4 games until bye - back in vogue with a huge 140 v Essendon, Jack Steven attracting the tag. History wise, he should score well v Brisbane, average v Hawthorn, and good v Carlton & GC. Might still be able to get him around 550k-ish, av'd 114.8 last year, and has gone 115+ in 2 seasons before that too.

Obviously Ablett-Selwood-SJ-Pendles-Beams-Rockliff-(Fyfe) are the guys who are doing it weekly and should be priorities, but really, the M8 spot is wide open, I'd be hesitant to pay 600k for Barlow/Watson/Kennedy/Boyd when I could pay closer to 525k for Swan/Griffen, or even 450k for Goddard (which could be the difference between Nick Riewoldt and Cyril Rioli in the forwards with a 30 point difference compared to the 5-10 point difference between Watson-Goddard, or Barlow-Montagna etc)

Watson should be around $530k next week, you wont have to pay anything near $600k for him soon.

116 and 122 in the last two games is pretty decent form.

He has delivered form!
116 and 122 in the last two games is pretty decent form.
I'm still going to wait and watch with interest. If he scores well this week as well, I'm on the train..

Edit: Even if he scores 120 this week and 120 next week, he'll only be 557k AFTER his Round 8 Bye as opposed to the 521k he is now. Shaping up as a no brainer in Round 9 for mine.

I'm still going to wait and watch with interest. If he scores well this week as well, I'm on the train..

Edit: Even if he scores 120 this week and 120 next week, he'll only be 557k AFTER his Round 8 Bye as opposed to the 521k he is now. Shaping up as a no brainer in Round 9 for mine.
OR, if he scores 180 this week and 190 the week after you are paying through the nose for him! Although not likely, it is not completely ridiculous to suggest it. It is Swanny after all.

OR, if he scores 180 this week and 190 the week after you are paying through the nose for him! Although not likely, it is not completely ridiculous to suggest it. It is Swanny after all.
LOL. I think I'll take my chances ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you not learned anything from your Jaensch hesitation?

In fact, he's only score 180 once in the H&A season in his entire career, Round 5, 2010 :)

I'm actually very interested in Goddard. Will drop to around 440k in the coming weeks. Now THAT is hard to pass up.

Have you not learned anything from your Jaensch hesitation?
Well, that wasn't quite that bad. Each time I've looked over him in preference for another trade, that trade has made up the price Jaensch has risen by, but yes, point taken.

I'd take Ward over Goddard for my M8. Ward should be around 470 in a few weeks and will be a very good POD.

Hoping to get him and Griffen in next week. Or maybe Mundy.

I'd take Ward over Goddard for my M8. Ward should be around 470 in a few weeks and will be a very good POD.

Hoping to get him and Griffen in next week. Or maybe Mundy.
Fantastic call. I like it.

What does everyone want to have as their final midfield? I'm aiming for something like this. (Bolded already have).

Ablett, Pendles, Selwood, Beams, Griffen, Watson, Montagna/Steven/Sloane, Ward

GAJ, Pendles, Selwood, SJ, Swan, Beams, Murphy, McRae*

Have bolded. Will most likely upgrade McRae at some point to whichever premo I don't have that is in 'must have' form.

What does everyone want to have as their final midfield? I'm aiming for something like this. (Bolded already have).

That's the question everyone should be asking themselves instead of blindly grabbing any premium player who drops to a "value" price. Have a clear idea of who you want in your final team and trade to make it happen.

GAJ, Pendles, Selwood, SJ, Swan, Beams, Murphy, McRae*

Have bolded. Will most likely upgrade McRae at some point to whichever premo I don't have that is in 'must have' form.
Not going for Griffen, Gingy?

A gun, yes. Consistency though? There is a reason his price is crazy low after all.
Yes there is. He had hand surgery over the offseason which led to him being underdone when the season started. He's building nicely now though. He was top 3 in SC three years in a row before his 4th last year when he was played forward in the early part of the season but averaged 122 over the last 12 rounds when back in his usual role. Should be one of the first players in everyone's final team and amazing value at the moment.

This is my ideal final midfield. Bolded already have.

Ablett, Pendles, Selwood, Beams, Watson, Kennedy, Cotchin, Sloane/Steven/Jack/Barlow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back