2014 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Kiewa are flying. Yack would be disappointed. Cook retired after last season but returned to the scooby's a few weeks ago. Mitta and kiewa for mine. With Barny breathing down their neck.

i dont want to talk flags in june but Kiewa boys are certainly up and about. They have gone for a side that will suit sandy creek well come September. Mitta and barny are well and truly capable. barny and Kiewa have shown that you just need to make the finals to be a chance. I think plenty of clubs saw what barny did with leg speed and youth and most have adopted that approach. Thurgoona are a bit of an unknown for me. They have plenty of class players but not sure on their ability to match the other 3 at sandy creek. Dederang are as old and slow as ive seen them in years. they are just making up numbers, if they make it at all. they will be hoping for a wet finish to the season.
I haven't seen him play, but cross from Thurgoona would have to be racking up barton medal votes wouldn't he? kicks bags of golas from the midfield. Him or stewart from mitta would favorites for me. Any other news around the league? This thread is a bit dead given how even the comp is. Any clubs going to try and poach a few before the clearance deadline?

Kiewa for me I have watched them a few times this year and they will b even better out at sandy creek. I will go with mitta for second and to play them in the gf.... Barny might finish 3rd or a fast finishing dogs... If barny finish 3rd I think they will go out straight sets with dederang to finish 5 but dogs to beat them.... Injurys have played a massive part in dederangs year I don't think they have had there full team on the park once this year, I don't know this for sure only what I have been told from people up there. But in saying all that there is still a log jam from 5th to about 8th or 9th with anyone getting a good run could make it...
I think tallangatta have gone backwards along with Yack and saints
Beechworth look to be on the right track
Chiltern could be a scary team next year
Lions to be better with o'brian (2nd year) next year will know what he needs
Rutherglen might drop of with corwa coming good again in o&m

It looks like it is now a (very even) 4 horse race. Dederang in the box seat to claim 5th. Deadline clearance looming, any clubs with an ace up there sleeve?

I read in the paper that James Gray from Mitta is approaching the 16 week limit on suspensions and that he may be de-registered. Is that true ? did he have some history in WA before he got to Wodonga ?

TIPS THIS WEEK
DMB by 17pts over Wahgunyah
Chiltern by 22pts over Rutherglen
Thurgoona by 10gls over Tallangatta
Mitta by 9gls over Yack
Barny by 8gls over Beechworth
KSC by 13gls over Saints

Not much happening on this thread given the eveness of the comp. More action on the Upper murray and hume threads than here. surely someone has something to keep me amused at work.
top 5 looks stitched up with any of the top 4 capable. Whats happening at clubs? Kiewa boys have had a sluggish month but are starting to get a few back from injury. hopefully be primed for a big run home with plenty of depth and pressure on spots. Mitta dropped a game to dmb so it looks as though they might have a few injury problems. dmb will be hoping for wet finals to go past the first elimination round. barny boys reckon they are in the box seat to snatch it again. I have no contact at Thurgoona and no idea whats happening out there but results suggest they are starting to come together.

Hard to avoid the magoos game at Dederang on the weekend. Sounds as though another serious incident involving mitta. not only is it all over the border website but I noticed its on the herald sun website with a link to crime stoppers. sounds pretty serious. hopefully the young fella wont lose his eye. its a real shame that this is the type of coverage tdfl gets on a national stage. I want a healthy comp and don't want to start a war of words, but surely the league heavyweights need to get onto mitta. the amount trips to the tribunal and regular incidents involving malice suggests something is not right with the culture of the club. I think everyone in the comp has had enough of this crap.

Maybe we should wait to see the outcome of any investigation before throwing someone under the bus. Sounds like it was a situation in which an accidental kick or stomp on the face could have easily happened from either team. There is nothing wrong with the culture of the Mitta Football Club

Multiple behind play incidents resulting in injuries to opposition players, spectator & officials assaults, umpires refusing to officiate, player assaulting female police officer, club on good behaviour bond, player threatening to kill an umpire. Nope, nothing wrong here.

Multiple behind play incidents resulting in injuries to opposition players, spectator & officials assaults, umpires refusing to officiate, player assaulting female police officer, club on good behaviour bond, player threatening to kill an umpire. Nope, nothing wrong here.

Well done, you've done some homework. I'll break it down for you
Multiple behind play incidents: It's true, there has been a few incidents in the last few years. What are you thinking, maybe 3 or 4? Here's a fact, there have been at least twice as many behind play incidents not initiated by Mitta players that have resulted in serious injuries in the same time frame that conveniently are never heard of again. It's not in the clubs philosophy to 'dob in' players to the league or media.
Spectator and officials assaults: I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Umpires refusing to officiate: This is not the fault of the club or anything do with it's culture.
Player assaulting female police officer: The fact that you've put this in, and mentioned the officer being female is both provocative and ignorant. It was in the off season and the mentioned player had not even signed with Mitta. Your clear bias is clear in this statment alone.
Club put on good behaviour bond: This is nothing new, and has happened to several clubs over the years, certainly not limited to Mitta.
Player threatening to kill an umpire: This was definitely over the top, and not indicative of the Mitta culture. The player in questioned would of been disciplined in house for that sort of outburst.
I have played both for and against Mitta, and I had the same ignorant attitude you did before being roped into player there in the early 2000s. I'd heard all the stories about the thugs that played there and terrible supporters. This couldn't be further from the truth. What you would find if you went there yourself would be a club that encourages nothing more than going for the ball. From all the hyperbole i've read in the paper and on here, you would think that pre-game Mitta players are told to go out and hurt players deliberately. I have played with real thugs, and not at Mitta. I won't defend every single player, and won't say there hasn't been some loose cannons, but the perception of Mitta as a home for scum bags is far from the truth. Whilst I haven't been involved for 6+ years, I follow the club and always find opinions such as yours ill-informed and quite frankly smacks of jealousy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Multiple behind play incidents: It's true, there has been a few incidents in the last few years. What are you thinking, maybe 3 or 4? Here's a fact, there have been at least twice as many behind play incidents not initiated by Mitta players that have resulted in serious injuries in the same time frame that conveniently are never heard of again. It's not in the clubs philosophy to 'dob in' players to the league or media.
Umpires refusing to officiate: This is not the fault of the club or anything do with it's culture.
Player assaulting female police officer: The fact that you've put this in, and mentioned the officer being female is both provocative and ignorant. It was in the off season and the mentioned player had not even signed with Mitta. Your clear bias is clear in this statment alone.
Club put on good behaviour bond: This is nothing new, and has happened to several clubs over the years, certainly not limited to Mitta.
Player threatening to kill an umpire: This was definitely over the top, and not indicative of the Mitta culture. The player in questioned would of been disciplined in house for that sort of outburst.
I have played both for and against Mitta, and I had the same ignorant attitude you did before being roped into player there in the early 2000s. I'd heard all the stories about the thugs that played there and terrible supporters. This couldn't be further from the truth. What you would find if you went there yourself would be a club that encourages nothing more than going for the ball. From all the hyperbole i've read in the paper and on here, you would think that pre-game Mitta players are told to go out and hurt players deliberately. I have played with real thugs, and not at Mitta. I won't defend every single player, and won't say there hasn't been some loose cannons, but the perception of Mitta as a home for scum bags is far from the truth. Whilst I haven't been involved for 6+ years, I follow the club and always find opinions such as yours ill-informed and quite frankly smacks of jealousy.

Two Up what is the philosophy of the club?
Just going on what i've heard an read in the paper, if what happened is true the club should hand the player over to the parties concerned because it does have an impact on the club wether you like it or not.If you want to go outside the rules of the game man up and take responsibity for your actions. Personally i would not like to play in the same team as this player[if what he done is true] and i don't care how good a football player he is the club comes first. Two Up is rite there are alot of off the ball incidents that happen each week that know one hears about, so my advice to all clubs when recruiting players is not just look at their football ability but also their character and if they don't tick all the boxes stay away from them
NOW LETS MOVE ON

5 games to go and the top 5 looks set. Wahgunyah have an ok draw but catchng up 2 games plus % on Dederang looks pretty unlikely

Kiewa 48 (Ruth, TV, Barny, DMB, Yack) - Prediction 1st
Mitta 40 (Saints, Ruth, Wah, Barny, Thurgoona) - 3rd
Thurgoona 40 (DMB, Yack, Saints, Ruth, Mitta) - 2nd
Barny 36 (Chiltern, DMB, KSC, Mitta, Ruth) - 4th
DMB 32 (Thurgoona, Barny, Chiltern, KSC, TV) - 5th
Wah 24 (TV, Chiltern, Mitta, Beechworth, Saints) - 6th
Chiltern 24 (Barny, Wah, DMB, TV, Beechworth) - 7th

Wahgunyah would need to win 4 of their last 5 (assuming a loss to Mitta), gain some % and hope Dederang drop 3 of theirs (say, Thurgoona, Barny & Kiewa). Whoever loses in round 15 between Wahgunyah and Chiltern will have whatever faint hope they had of making finals completely vanish. Thurgonna & Mitta facing off in the last round looks set to be an interesting dress reharsal for a possible qualifying final match up the following week.

Its probably not that outlandish to predict the ladder will stay fairly close to what it is now

Any news on what clubs will be looking for new coaches in 2015? Wodonga Saints look to have stagnated after improving plenty under Burgess last year are they looking for a new one maybe a playing coach?:confused:

I think any team is going to use intimidation tactics when they have Nathan 'the enforcer' Reynoldson playing for them. Not only will he dish out some hard hits but his teammates walk taller knowing they have him in their corner

Very quite on here any one got anything to say on the poor quality of umpiring we have had so far, all I can say is I hope it gets better come finals.
Who is the team too beat come finals Kiewa strong all year Mitta know how to play finals Thurgoona different side this year Barny we know what happened last year or dmb bradshaws.
Who would be the most hated players in the comp and why?
Players to watch come finals?

Cammo pretty fortunate to only get 3 weeks for an incident that left the other person with a broken eye socket as well as being his second suspension of the year. Also pretty lucky when he said he thought there was nobody near him. Maybe it's a sign of lucky things to come for Kiewa.

Very quite on here any one got anything to say on the poor quality of umpiring we have had so far, all I can say is I hope it gets better come finals.
Who is the team too beat come finals Kiewa strong all year Mitta know how to play finals Thurgoona different side this year Barny we know what happened last year or dmb bradshaws.
Who would be the most hated players in the comp and why?
Players to watch come finals?
Kiewa favourites for me, closely followed by Mitta and Thurgoona. Barny have hit a bit of a slump, but beware if it's a dry September on a big ground like Sandy Creek. DMB claimed a few big scalps, but think they're behind the other 4. The last two years the team that finished on top has gone out in straight sets, so finishing in that position doesn't mean much in the scheme of things! Really shaping as a cracking finals series. Bit of pressure on Kiewa after a dominating most of the year, Barny going for an incredible back to back (both from elimination finals), Thurgoona trying desperately to break the duck and Mitta trying to avenge last years result.
As for Camo, always been a bit of a thug I reckon and definitely lucky with just the 3 weeks. Can't help but think if it had been a Mitta player the clubs culture would come into question as always.

Is it true that Beechworth will announce a new coach shortly? EX Wodonga premiership player?

Yes, i believe you are correct, Nick Barnes who is currently coaching Wodonga 2's

Significant win by the Dederang Bombers!!!
Bombers out, Chiltern in. Wouldn't have thought it a mouth ago. Give up an eight goal lead half way into the first quarter then five goal down half way into the third. Armond and his stupid press, it doesn't work. Piss him off I said and find a real coach. Swan might just shake thing up a little come final, seem to be coming good at the right time. Won 6 out of the last 7 matches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back