2014 South Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

mate what is your view on a couple of these kids;

Ben Heaslip
Josh Holliday
matt Hallandal

I like Ben Heaslip. He ticks a lot of boxes, and has started the season very well. He's got that Jackson Macrae type feel to him, where he is tall and relatively skinny for a midfielder but is surprisingly good in close. I'm not saying he is anywhere close to Macrae or the first round, because he isn't. But it's always encouraging when a player can win his own ball, before they fully develop their body.

Josh Holliday has also started well, and is leading the goal kicking in the U18s. He wasn't a regular in the Maccas Cup before this year and has never really been in the SA fold, so I haven't seen a great deal of him. From the eye test, I'd have him around the 190cm mark and he'd be battling with a few others for a spot as a medium forward. If he keeps kicking goals, he could be added to the squad late but otherwise he may just be a sneaky one to watch come the rookie draft.

And Matt Hallandal looks to be a good solid battler, but at his height doesn't really factor into things too much.

Think we're overdue for some an update...

And I'll start at league level. I think most people will remember Josh Glenn from last year, the half back from Central Districts who did not nominate for the draft. Well, I imagine all 18 clubs will be in his ear at the moment and he would be a genuine first round chance if he were to have a change of mind. He has been ridiculously good all year, and is now taking charge in the midfield too. Otherwise, it's the usual suspects with Peter Bampton and Dean Gore continuing to impress. Former U18 Patrick Wilson has recently made his league debut (it could finally be his year) with Jake Pitt getting close too. And underaged gun Stephen Tahana has also forced his way in.

Meanwhile in the Reserves, we've had the return of a few players both from injury and the AIS trip. Sam Durdin is regaining form and fitness, but the best news is the return of Luke Buckby from Centrals. He was on track to have a big 2013 season, and could well have been an early draft selection. But stress fractures cut him down, could be a surprise pick for the SA side if he can get back quick enough. And I'll just mention Jackson Press quickly, 19 year old small forward in that Jamie Elliot type mould and currently leading the goal kicking in the Reserves. Looks to be developing nicely.

As for the U18s, well it's the same players once more. The likes of Ethan Haylock and Ben Heaslip are winning plenty of ball, while underaged Agius and Beioley are kicking the goals. But speaking of the U18s, I'll take a stab at what a possible South Australian side could look like for the upcoming Championships. I'd be surprised if I even got it 50% correct, but going off form alone...

b: Alex Neal Bullen - Stephen Tahana - Mac Bower
hb: Josh Pobke - Sam Durdin - Dean Gore
c: Jake Johansen - Luke Partington - Ben Heaslip
hf: Jack Hayes - Jesse Watchman - Ethan Haylock
f: Billy Stretch - Tom Read - Ryan Burton

r: Peter Spurling - Peter Bampton - Caleb Daniel

i: Harrison Westhoff - Jack Donkersley - Harry Vick

As always, it's hard to know exactly what they're planning in terms of underaged players - but it would be hard to ignore Tahana and Burton in particular, as they are performing well at senior level. But Brenton Phillips seem more inclined to go overaged than underaged, what with Sean Lemmens playing every game last year. We could see a similar surprise selection this year. And the key defenders is the other main question. I think they'll go with a Durdin/Watchman combination up forward, with perhaps West Adelaide teammate Harrison Westhoff taking over at CHB. Otherwise, Bower and Tahana may be asked to play on taller opponents. I don't think they'll throw either Ben Beioley or Keiran Agius in despite their big numbers this year, with the preference likely being bigger and more seasoned bodies up forward.

Solid first up match for South Australia, what with beating WA pretty easily in the end. And what did their first 22 look like in the end?

b: Aaron Francis - Jack Hayes - Connor McLean
hb: Joseph Brown - Keenan Ramsay - Harrison Wigg
c: Billy Stretch - Dean Gore - Bradley Coulson
hf: Jake Johansen - Callum Wilkie - Declan Hamilton
f: Ryan Burton - Tom Read - James Rose

r: Sam Durdin - Luke Partington - Alex Neal Bullen

i: Josh Miller - Stephen Tahana - Ben Heaslip - Cory Gregson

e: Caleb Daniel - Ethan Haylock - Peter Spurling

It was a pretty solid performance all round really. Ryan Burton starred up forward with 5 goals, and was well supported by the likes of medium forward James Rose. And the SA midfield well and truly got on top of the WA side with Dean Gore, Jake Johansen and Declan Hamilton all finishing with plenty of the ball. Sam Durdin was the best ruckman on the day, and pushed forward quite well. While Harrison Wigg, Joseph Brown and the rest of the defenders were all strong and didn't let up all day. Cory Gregson and Alex Neal-Bullen were two of the more underrated performers on the day too.

So, will there be any changes for the upcoming Vic Country match? Well, Jesse Watchman has definitely put forward a case to be selected over Callum Wilkie or Tom Read after finishing with 5 goals and 11 marks in the SANFL U18s on the weekend. He's been inconsistent this season, but obviously has talent. And against a team with a few bigger bodies than WA, his extra size may help and will also take some attention away from Ryan Burton. Caleb Daniel will be pushing for selection too, along with Ethan Haylock who finished with 30 odd touches in the SANFL. Hard to see who they'll push out though, perhaps one of the small defenders with Stephen Tahana and Alex Neal-Bullen moving into the back half. Ben Heaslip was quiet but had minimal game time, and he has over 10cm on both Daniel and Haylock so it wouldn't exactly be a like for like swap. The other option will be to bolster the tall defensive stocks to combat McCartin, Goddard and Lamb.

Finally I am back in the country and get a chance to watch some games!

I'd keep a close eye on Brendan Dew Chris, he's definitely a naturally talented player, smart too from the limited vision I have seen. Shining light in the north atm.

Side for 2015 will be powerful, up there with our side from last year and 2012 in terms of draftable players. Gore is a gun as is Bampton, shame he's been injured. Caleb Daniel unfortunately might end up down the James Boyd track and dominate the SANFL in years to come winning a gazzilion touches a game but in the too small to be drafted bracket.

Haven't worked out my fav lad for this year yet from SA, (Menzel from 2012 and Dunstan last year) but Burton already mine for 2015. Super, super kid.

SA will have a ridiculously good side next year...

There are 5 underaged kids in SA's U18 squad - Partington, Tahana, Burton, Sullivan and Francis. Maris Olekalns is just as good in my opinion, and could have made the final squad. Throw in Matthew Allen, Brendan Dew and Will Combe too. Ben Beioley and Keiran Agius will likely put their names up through sheer number of goals, and I particularly like the Jackson twins from Port Adelaide (Kyle and Brendon).

As for my favourite SA kid this year, I'm still yet to make a final decision. I do like Oleg Markov, but there are a few.

I was going to start a generic draft thread for all my thoughts, but this thread is clearly overdue. And what better place to start discussions, then with the best U18 side in the country? 2013 proved to be a bumper year for the South Australians, what with winning the U18 Championships, 5 players being named All Australian and no less than 20 players getting drafted. So will 2014 bring the same amount of success? It very well could.

What will no doubt please many, is that the squad is particularly strong in terms of KPPs. It's the definite strength, at both ends of the ground. There aren't the same 'big name' midfield types - whereas last year, we had the likes of Dunstan, Aish and Dumont running through the midfield. It's still very much an open field, and it will be fun to watch just who steps up to take charge in the middle.

So, at this very very early stage, who are the top 5 SA prospects? Well, in my opinion...

1. Sam Durdin (197cm, 85kg defender - West Adelaide)

There aren't any questions about who is #1 at the moment. Durdin was the only South Australian to play four games in the Championships last year as an underager. And he has been one of the first picked in the AFL/AIS side for the last two years, and was awarded the scholarship that the likes of Aish, Selwood, Whitfield and Naitanui received before him. Right now, his biggest strength is being able to play anywhere on the field. He has spent time at both ends of the ground, as well as playing a significant amount of time as a mobile ruckman. Personally, I like him best as a defender in that Jake Carlisle type mould. He has the height, and he moves really well for such a big guy. Plus, he has neat disposal for someone pushing 200cm. Unfortunately, he is out injured for the next three months. But, he should be back right in time for the U18 Championships.

2. Mac Bower (190cm, 77kg utility - Norwood)

Not sure how much agreement I'll have quite yet with having Bower this high, but I was super impressed with him as a 17 year old last year. He isn't quite at the level of Matt Scharenberg, but I think that's the role he will play this year. And it wouldn't surprise me to see people debating his best position all season long. It was more as a defender that I came to like Bower, playing as that third/fourth tall he zoned off well and has a nice boot on him. That's where he spent the first half of the season, but then made the move forward. He kicked 15 goals in 5 U18 games, and finished with a bag of 7 in a Reserves game - that's Reserves, not U18s. His leading patterns suggest being quite a natural up forward, as he really attacked the ball coming forward. So, hopefully he gets a chance to show off both sides of his game this season.

3. Billy Stretch (179cm, 68kg forward - Glenelg)

Yet another F/S pick for Melbourne, right now I would have him going in the second round. And that's a big jump from where I would have rated him this time last year. But he was one of the real surprises for me last season, so if he can continue with that sort of development in 2014 then he could easily keep climbing the draft order. He's similar to Jay Kennedy Harris, although I do slightly prefer Stretch due to his extra height - but having said that, I wasn't as high on JKH as others. Stretch showed this year that his best football is played on a forward flank, pushing up to the wings and through the midfield. He has a very good endurance base, which allows him to play this role well. All he really needs to show this year is that his midfield game is developing, he wont ever be an inside ball winner but he could be dangerous on the outside.

4. Caleb Daniel (166cm, 66kg midfielder - South Adelaide)

Alright, so Caleb Daniel is only 166cm. There is a very good chance that he will be overlooked simply because of that. But in terms of projected impact this year alone, he would be #1 on this list by a long way. He played 10 league matches in the SANFL last year, proving himself to be one of his team's better clearance players. And in the U18 testing earlier this year, he won the beep test and finished top 5 in both time trial and 20m sprint. Oh, and his skills are as good as any inside midfielder in the draft. If you were only told this and not his height, you'd be hard pushed to have him outside the top 5 of the whole draft. But unfortunately, size is arguably the most important thing when it comes to getting drafted and for Daniel he doesn't really have the versatility to his game to make clubs overlook the whole 'being under 170cm' thing.

5. Jesse Watchman (196cm 90kg forward - West Adelaide)

Once again, South Australia has a big bodied full forward for people to get excited over. In 2012, we were a bit premature in annointing Mason Middleton as he wasn't really ready quite yet. And in 2013, Mitch Harvey was the hotly debated key forward. Could we have another in Watchman? More than likely. The positive is that he has the resume that better supports such hype than the others. Jesse has been involved in the AFL/AIS system, and as a 17 year old he kicked 36 goals in 15 U18 games this season. Like Durdin, he is also capable of running through the ruck. But without a doubt, he is best played up forward. I think he'll be a handful for opposition defenders this year, because he has impressive body strength for a teenager and more importantly seems to have a good technique in the one on one contests. There are a few big forwards in this draft with even bigger profiles so far, so Watchman could be a nice relative sleeper to watch as the year goes on.

So that's my top 5 for the moment, although it will likely change significantly over the next 9 months. Rounding out the top 10 would be the likes of Peter Bampton, Jake Johansen, Peter Spurling and Jack Donkersley. But what about a possible surprise packet? There seems to be one every year, and in 2014 my pick is...

Oleg Markov (187cm, 68kg midfielder - North Adelaide)

If I had to pick one 'bolter' it would be Oleg Markov from North Adelaide. I won't lie, I haven't actually seen him play yet. He didn't play in the SANFL at any level last year, and only played a handful of U16 games back in 2012. I know a lot of people are excited about him at North Adelaide though, and word is that he is a strong chance to feature at the top level this season. Markov is a star athlete, having set school records in both the high jump and long jump. And, he finished with the fastest 20m sprint time at the SANFL Academy testing earlier this year. I imagine this year, he will largely play off a wing but he also has the potential to play at either end of the ground. The South Australian side is far from set when it comes to the midfield, and he seems like the type of player that Brenton Phillips will like and give a real shot. He's certainly one player I'll be keeping a close eye on.

And because everyone loves 'mature aged' players right now, I thought I'd look at a couple that I will be keeping an eye on. As always, a number of players have made the move to the SANFL to further their chances of getting drafted - Mitch Thorp. Josh Scott for example. And just on this, Glenelg have a ridiculously strong side this year with their new signings. But, the two I like are...

Luke Buckby (192cm, 85kg utility - Central Districts)

So some of you may remember me going on about Buckby last year, and for good reason I think. This time last year, he was BOG in the SANFL U18 Academy trial match. But, he then suffered stress fractures in his foot and missed the entire season. It was a cruel blow, as I think he would have featured quite heavily for SA in the Championships. But it's a new year, and we saw last season that Brenton Phillips is more than happy to give a 19 year old a shot - Sean Lemmens played as an overager in the Championships, and ended up going in the second round of the draft. Hopefully Buckby can get back to full fitness and follow suit. He is another who is similar to Scharenberg, in that he can play either as a medium defender or through the midfield. And it was in that trial match, that he dominated as a big bodied midfielders.

Michael McMahon (185cm, 80kg forward - North Adelaide)

Turning 20 this year, I think this could be the year for McMahon to really shine. I mentioned him a couple of years as a possible outside draft chance, but he was obviously overlooked and hasn't really come on quite as I would have liked as of yet - admittedly, in a large part due to injury. But, a number of spots in the league side have opened up this year - the biggest of them being from Nathan Gordon going to Richmond. That leaves an opening for a medium forward, and one who can push up the flanks. And that's where I think McMahon excels. He has proven himself to be a big time goal kicker and has enough tricks to suggest he isn't limited to playing deep forward. In his draft year, I compared him to Jeremy Howe and I think he is a pretty good like for like replacement for Gordon who got drafted after a solid year.

So there you have it, a quick look at some of the top South Australian prospects this year. I'll be keeping it updated all season long. And just remember, I don't take kindly to criticism of my South Australians.

I really love Josh Hone's work through out the championships! On paper, his height doesn't reflect the average short/ medium forward that were used to seeing. He can play tall with his strong over head marking (especially marking out in front, running as hard as he can at it) and his manic pressure that he applied at ground level to keep the ball inside SA's attacking half! As a Victorian i got the chance to watch him play in the Grandfinal against Victoria, which was at Simonds Stadium (Geelong), and i thought that himself and Caleb Daniel, were dangerous every time the ball entered SA's inside 50! and converted, when the game was in the balance. Would be a great pick up for any club, gonna be a star!

what's the knock on Dean Gore? impressed me in the champs, is he overage or something?

Stretch with a seriously big game in the SANFL on the weekend in a losing side against the Crows reserves. 26 touches, 12 marks and 2 goals.

I wasn't sold on Stretch all year and all champs and I'm still not, but if he keeps pumping that kind of stuff out I'm gonna have to concede.

Melbourne might just be forced to use a 2nd on him at this rate.

Gore also had a good game for Sturt while Neal-Bullen was about average and Hone and Johansen were a little off. Didn't see Durdin so no idea how he went in his league debut, 10 touches and 3 marks in a side that conceded 147 though, could possibly have been toweled but again, don't know.

Bampton had an okay return from all reports in the reserves but wasn't in the bests, probably a week or two away from pushing for senior selection again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what's the knock on Dean Gore? impressed me in the champs, is he overage or something?

Not overage. I don't think there are any major knocks on him, he just isn't at the level of others. Personally, I compare him to Mitch Grigg from Adelaide - and I expect something similar in terms of draft position, who went at #41. In his draft year, he had a good Championships and people who had never seen him play before were suddenly all over him and calling him a top 10 player. He had a big body and was a really good kick. The same can be said about Gore. But similar weaknesses can also be said about the two. I think Gore will take a little time to adjust to the tempo at the top level, and I'm not sure about his position. He doesn't really play one defined role at the moment, so expecting him to come in and be this dominant big bodied midfielder is a bit of a stretch. Luke Tapscott is similar for me too, and he has bounced around pretty much every position without having one stick.

Not overage. I don't think there are any major knocks on him, he just isn't at the level of others. Personally, I compare him to Mitch Grigg from Adelaide - and I expect something similar in terms of draft position, who went at #41. In his draft year, he had a good Championships and people who had never seen him play before were suddenly all over him and calling him a top 10 player. He had a big body and was a really good kick. The same can be said about Gore. But similar weaknesses can also be said about the two. I think Gore will take a little time to adjust to the tempo at the top level, and I'm not sure about his position. He doesn't really play one defined role at the moment, so expecting him to come in and be this dominant big bodied midfielder is a bit of a stretch. Luke Tapscott is similar for me too, and he has bounced around pretty much every position without having one stick.

I think there is an argument Mitch should have gone higher than #41. I think had he ended up at a different club (say St Kilda) he would have had a lot more opportunity. His kicking is almost the best in that draft year and his lack of pace is an issue but if you balance that with speed around him I think he goes fine. He is no slower than Matt Crouch.

Has Sam Durdins two league games helped or hindered his draft ranking?
I thought he had performed admirably in weak teams.

Gore was quite impressive for Sturt in the qualifying final v Norwood. Marked well across the half-forward line, kicked 2 goals, some ugly but effective kicks at goal.

Why is it that none of the phantoms have any SA player in the top 20 except Durdin? I would have thought dominating the champs would mean the SA players were rated highly.

Why is it that none of the phantoms have any SA player in the top 20 except Durdin? I would have thought dominating the champs would mean the SA players were rated highly.
Because Victorians are always over-rated anyway and most of the SA players are in that 20-30 range or a lot of their top players are undersized kids (Daniels, Johansen, Gregson etc)

Last edited:
I posted this way back in June...

As the old saying goes, a champion team will beat a team of champions.

For starters, the SA U18 program is far better than the Victorian ones. From top to bottom, our players are more physically ready for AFL football. They train and prepare that way. And more importantly, they play that way. Brenton Phillips is a very good coach, and prepares them for what lies ahead - whereas at times the TAC Cup compares to Auskick, with the way players run free and the best players are always put in positions to succeed. It's no real surprise that when the pressure kicks up a gear, it's the South Australians who are able to handle it.

And they pick a side to win, as opposed to just the 22 most talented players. Guys like Bower and Watchman are two of the more talented players from SA, but didn't immediately fit the team structures and had to wait their turn. And because of the more disciplined and defined playing style, it means these lesser known but physically more developed players have success.

So why are SA winning? They're stronger, better coached and more disciplined.

Why aren't they going to be the first 22 picks in the draft? Well, they're just not the most purely talented players around. Some of the Victorians are the better players, they just happen to play in a worse side. They have a lot of taller midfielders, and generally 'sexier' players. But talent alone doesn't win games.

I've got a whole thread devoted to South Australians, and I'll talk them up forever. Caleb Daniel and Jake Johansen are super players, but are just so tiny. As good as they are, they're not going top 20. Dean Gore, Peter Bampton, Brad Coulson, Alex Neal Bullen and Cory Gregson are all very good, strong inside midfielders. But they aren't the players a recruiter is going to sell the farm for. They're nice to haves, not must haves - typically these guys will go anywhere from the top of the second round to third/fourth round to potentially rookies. Harrison Wigg, Declan Hamilton and James Rose have all had great U18 Championships, but that doesn't automatically make them first round picks - I could see them all jumping into the top 30, but they also have question marks and limitations. Jack Hayes, Keenan Ramsay and Callum Wilkie have been really solid KPPs in every game, but they're not the talls that you'll be building a side around. I could list another 10 or so players who have a very good chance of getting drafted - Ethan Haylock being one, who I think Knightmare may have sold a little short.

It's also worth noting that some of the best players for South Australia have been underaged players - Ryan Burton is shaping as a top 5 pick next year. Aaron Francis, Luke Partington, Stephen Tahana and Tim Sullivan have also all played well and should be looked at as early picks. That's arguably where the talent is hiding, while the 18 year olds are doing their roles.

SA should go back to back. But when it comes draft time, you're picking individuals not a team.

Gregson - really impressed with this kid. Ports pick at 57 could be interesting for the small SA kids.

I posted this way back in June...

And you'd be one of the first people on here complaining if the Vic Metro selectors picked a side purely to win the champs, there'd be a lot of likely types left out, and the vultures would be out.

There's a balancing act, the main purpose of these sides are to prepare talent for the AFL draft, pure and simple. Yes, it's fantastic to win it, but Vic Metro went through a period 10 years ago where they picked sides to win the title, and were completely lambasted for it.

As for bagging the TAC Cup? It's whole purpose is to nurture young players not ready for senior bodies yet, it's doing a fantastic job of it. Do you honestly think the colts system in the SANFL is better than the TAC Cup? Absolutely laughable if so, the talent pool is diluted, and half the kids in the competition would barely make it onto a lot of the TAC Cup lists........

As for being "more prepared for AFL football garbage" that I hear get trotted out by every South Australian and Western Australian around this time of year. Tell me, were the likes of Kelly, Bontempelli, Billings, Taylor and Langdon under prepared this year because they were skinny kids? What about Oli Wines, Jack Macrae, Nick Vlaustin?

I can trace the same trend back 15 years.

Considering the disparity in talent evident in the AFL if there was State of Origin, currently, probably the biggest disparity in football's history between the talent in the 3 states, considering the relative strength of SA and WA in comparison to Victoria for the last 100 years, the gap has never been wider. The u/18 competitions through the SANFL and WAFL clubs have always been the pathways into the senior sides of the areas, the TAC Cup hasn't.

I'd argue the TAC Cup and the development pathways existing in Victoria ARE the reason for their complete dominance in playing talent atm. To be bashing it on development grounds is pretty humorous tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back