Super Rugby 2014 Super Rugby discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That's an incredible result.

The decision to change 6 players in the Rebels starting line up that played so well against the Cheetahs certainly backfired!

I feel like if the Rebels had beaten the Force, they'd be right where they should be. As it stands, they're a very young team with some potential and if the can keep these guys together, it will take a year or two to develop into a side that can start winning more than losing. I like where they're going though. If they can recruit as astutely as they did this offseason again, they could really improve quickly. I'd be offing money to guys like Cam Crawford and the Faingaa twins. Quality Super rugby players who are not automatic selections in their current sides. They'd all improve that side well I think. Crawford particularly deserves to be starting somewhere, I reckon he'll be getting offers from the Force and Rebels at least this year.

What a win for the Force! 3 in a row.

Australian conference looking the strongest it ever has.

How good is Australian depth at 12 now by the way. Toomua, Beale, Godwin are all class. Lilo also a decent option. If Tapuai can get back to his form of a couple of years ago it'll be ridiculous.

If only we had similar strength at 13.

Thoughts on the Rebels so far?

No shame in losing to NSW, but I thought they might have had another win or two maybe by now.

NSW or the Brumbies to top the Australian standings?

Brumbies with Lealifano coming back I reckon.

And now the Rebels beat the Brumbies! What a great comeback from them.

There are no weak teams in the Australian conference this year. Especially when at home. It's good to see.

Anyone want to give their assessment on the Tahs against the Stormers this morning?

Anyone want to give their assessment on the Tahs against the Stormers this morning?

Yeh I missed the game. Geez there's something strange in the Super Rugby water this year.
What would everyones stand out xv have been so far?

I think the Tahs are missing Israel's ability to spot gaps and run his angles through them. It looks like a lot of calls in attack are actually coming from him rather than Foley or Beale; or Quade for that matter.

Stormers having trouble in attack. de Jongh gave them some some spark though, I thought his try should've been allowed.

Didn't see the Waratahs game but just glad they pulled off the win. Good to get some points from the trip to SA. Force vs Waratahs next weekend should be a close one.

Rebels very unlucky against the Highlanders on Friday. One of the Highlanders should have been red carded in the 11th or 12th minute for a spear tackle off the ball...but it didn't get seen by the on-field officials.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brumbies move to the top of the table. WHo watched the game? Heard the Reds blew several easy tries.

I am a Force fan, so what I can say may well be interpreted as petty, but I have to wonder whether Queensland is in this situation because of Richie Graham. Especially now with the Force grinding victories out, even though we haven't really played fabulously yet, but it is showing that maybe the cattle wasn't really the problem, the coach was. I understand the Reds are suffering injuries though, but I see them mainly just capitalising on space when they have it, rather than building with possession and developing the spaces themselves. We used to do that here, and so did the Wallabies under Robbie Deans. It led to some spectacular tries from turn-overs and counter-attacks, but little in the way of substance when given plenty of ball against a set, intelligent defence.

I did mention they were suffering injuries also. Digby is only one player, and not a forward; they were scrummaging okay, but they look lacklustre when structured.

Reds should have beaten the Brumbies. The decisions not to award Genia's try nor give Stephen Moore a yellow card for his punch were wrong and the Reds would have won if they had been given. The Reds were also just a couple of minutes away from beating the Force.

If they'd won both they'd be doing alright. There's a pretty small margins between a lot of the teams at the moment in super rugby.

I don't think the Chiefs are as strong this year. I mean today they almost lost to the Rebels at home. In fact the Rebels were the better team for most of the match, they just had a really poor start (down 19-3, 4 early penalties and a try) and couldn't make it back.

And we're yet to see how the Sharks do outside of South Africa.

A lot will come down to who can secure home finals matches. There's very few teams you can rule out at this stage. Look at the NZ conference at the moment for example. Only 8 points between the Chiefs and the 5th placed Blues. All the kiwi teams can beat each other. You can say the same thing about the Aussie conference too (though I would rule out the Reds and Rebels as realistic contenders).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back