List Mgmt. 2014: The List

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm loathe to write off of Watson yet. Needs a little more time.

Maybe I have tinted glasses on but he's one I hope for a lot.

Absolutely love his kicking prowess and those torps. I think you're right, he's only played around 17-18 games and he's only 21. What worries me based on what I recall seeing of him is that, for such a big guy, he seems to be out-bodied quite easily - although, that may be a positioning/confidence thing, e.g. hesitating with positioning and timing as to when to make contact with the forward etc. I'm really worried about our development :-(

Not the same vibe imo. We just excited to finally to have some young kids playing the team for once. The club was pretty up beat when Bell, Mcinnes and Casboult made a impact in 2012 as well.

Bell becoming the next kouta after one game though.... :oops:

Hard not to be excited and super impressed by his numbers from his first VFL hit out, out of interest was he doing the same thing at senior level WAFL or did he play Colts?

I mean more in terms of build as far as the comparison with Bootsma and Fletcher goes. What I'm trying to say is that maybe you can't turn Bootsma into a Rutten or Glass type - there is still a place for long, lanky types on the field as long as you have your fair quota of hard-bodies as well. Bootsma is a good long kick, and with Docherty could provide run and quality disposal out of defence - just worried that Bootsma has gone backwards (he was going to be a future star after his first few games - what happened?). I just hope Docherty doesn't go the same way as Bootsma. We can't continually turn-over players without addressing underlying issues that seem to be impacting player development.
Carlton fans were the only ones who thought he'd be a star.

If I remember correctly it was a surprise to everyone he got picked up, let alone in the first round. WAFL followers were especially surprised.

It was a speculative pick at the time.

Not the same vibe imo. We just excited to finally to have some young kids playing the team for once. The club was pretty up beat when Bell, Mcinnes and Casboult made a impact in 2012 as well.

Bell becoming the next kouta after one game though.... :oops:

He may still be. He is one of the most raw exciting big lads we have got and I'm still backing him in!

So what you're saying is that Graham can only do one thing? How do you know this? Would be a great experience for him, learn the ropes, where to run, work rate required etc. It's just another way of fitting a young player into the team. Playing him as a tagger early days is not going to turn him into one, it's player development.

Playing a stopping role on a quality opponent should be part of every players education at this level.

If I remember correctly it was a surprise to everyone he got picked up, let alone in the first round. WAFL followers were especially surprised.

He didn't even play Colts or for WA ( I'm pretty sure, he MIGHT have played in the championship, anyone refresh my memory?), he was playing country football - which although it has it's pro's
1. More money (a few hundred compared to nothing or at most 100 bucks a game, I know the reserve contract is only around 100 a game, not sure about colts)
2. Against men

However it also is lower quality in general and traditionally those aiming to get drafted play for a colts side, so perhaps it was surprising even to him

He didn't even play Colts or for WA ( I'm pretty sure, he MIGHT have played in the championship, anyone refresh my memory?), he was playing country football - which although it has it's pro's
1. More money (a few hundred compared to nothing or at most 100 bucks a game, I know the reserve contract is only around 100 a game, not sure about colts)
2. Against men

However it also is lower quality in general and traditionally those aiming to get drafted play for a colts side, so perhaps it was surprising even to him
Pretty sure he played WAFL, I think he averaged 11 disposals a game in his draft year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't mean to intrude on this ever intriguing discussion about where the Blues are at. One thing I have noticed with the blues is the similarity between so many of your players. One poster mentioned that you had 4 virtually identical types all in the team on Sunday night.

What makes up a great side is the dynamic and the individuality that each player will bring to the side.

This isn't true. A club wouldn't have drafted a player if he wasn't being looked at by other clubs. Norf were looking at Boots. Freo tried to get Boots as a F/S pick.

As inaccurate as your call that we couldn't find a Taylor Adams in the last draft. We got a bigger version in Cripps. Better kick than Adams.

This isn't true. A club wouldn't have drafted a player if he wasn't being looked at by other clubs. Norf were looking at Boots. Freo tried to get Boots as a F/S pick.

As inaccurate as your call that we couldn't find a Taylor Adams in the last draft. We got a bigger version in Cripps. Better kick than Adams.
Check the mock drafts of that year. I think I found one with Bootsmas name in there. He was plucked out of nowhere. Freo didn't kick up a fuss when they couldn't get him.

Cripps hasn't played a game of AFL yet, ease up.

I never said we wouldn't find another Adams - just that I wanted him.

Bootsma's not even that s**t. Personally, I'd rather see him being played as a winger. Although this may seem yolo considering his best attributes are spoiling and closing speed. It would enable him to drift back into defence comfortably and impact contest with his massive fram... I mean spoiling ability. Also liked his Port game last year when he played half forward. Can kick a goal.

Todd Goldstein as a free agent - thoughts?

I wouldn't jeopardize any Gibbs compensation pick on him but it would solve our ruck crisis if Kreuzer remains in doubt.

(I'm still on the Robert Warnock bandwagon, for what it's worth)

Love the hindsight recruiters who take BigFooty phantom drafts as gospel.

Boots has no hope because he wasn't mentioned by Knightmare or Chris25. :rolleyes:

Bootsma was named in Kevin Sheehan's top 30 in his draft year.

Sakc Shifter. :rolleyes:

Knightmare always gives us a 178cm mid with s**t disposal.

Bootsma's not even that s**t. Personally, I'd rather see him being played as a winger. Although this may seem yolo considering his best attributes are spoiling and closing speed. It would enable him to drift back into defence comfortably and impact contest with his massive fram... I mean spoiling ability. Also liked his Port game last year when he played half forward. Can kick a goal.

Boots just needs to put on some weight.

Todd Goldstein as a free agent - thoughts?

This is the mentality we have to get away from, the "throw money at it quick-fix" syndrome.

In years gone by, if we had a glaring weakness somewhere, we'd just go out and buy what we need. The whole landscape has changed with the draft & the salary cap yet we are still conditioned to the old ways.

If we want some sustained success, then we need to do it thoroughly by picking up young talent and build a quality list. This means we as supporters, are going to have to endure some more short pain in the quest for longer term gain.

How can St.Kilda go from easybeats back up to undefeated in the space of a couple of seasons ?? They have shipped off the old cattle and systematically drafted quality players to rebuild their list.

If they can do it, then so must we.

This is the mentality we have to get away from, the "throw money at it quick-fix" syndrome.

he's a free agent, so costs us nothing at draft time, unlike the Saints spending a pick on Billy Longer in the Brisbane firesale.

We have the cap space with Judd, Scotland and Waite retiring, Simpson and Walker presumably signing on to less money than in their prime.

And for what it's worth, I've been urging us to develop our own teenage ruck but we didn't rookie any.

No would rather give Kruezar a shot at dominating the #1 spot when his body holds up and have someone as back up like Wood or a mature aged Rookie from WAFL/VFL for emergency. If we get Goldstein we will be tempted to play Kruezar forward again and just cover over cracks again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back