gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I wouldn't be throwing any big money at any more free agents, only half of our best 22 is top 4 quality, it's only going to dig a hole for us bringing in over payed 26 year olds. We will fall short and damage our list trying to patch up holes to build a premiership team, it's too big of a job, there are too many holes.

At this stage we need a rebuild, that if things go well should only last around 3 years hopefully. Maybe 5.

We already have a reasonable core of players and a good environment for young players to come into. We already have a group of decent young players waiting to be picked.

We have a long lst of regular best 22 players who need to be traded or retired, we just aren't at a stage in our building where a big free agent is practical.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Agree, unless there is a ready made key forward prospect available (which there isn't until patton is avail next year) I think we should be using the draft.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Agree, unless there is a ready made key forward prospect available (which there isn't until patton is avail next year) I think we should be using the draft.
Even then, he would want to still be there in 5 years time. Despite what the media suggests our biggest problem is not a lack of a key forward, it's the midfield. And that's not going to be fixed with one big name or even two, it's a solid group of young stars that will get us up and going again in this position.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania

Why the hell do people think the GWS boys or a high value free agent only game in town?

There are 17 other teams out there, a couple with an excess of young key forwards. I flagged it in the pre season and was shot down by this board's own Mr McKay and to a lesser extent Jeremias. West Coast have an excess of ready to go young rucks and forwards who are unlikely to get a go in the near future.
Cox has flagged a desire for another year, NicNat, Kennedy, Darling, Sinclair currently the flavour of the month. Lycett must be getting fed up with waiting, Fraser McInnes is the one I like who showed plenty in NAB Cup, McGovern, the list goes on. "Mid sized" Colledge debuted last week, Tunbridge in the same mould knocking on the door after promising cameos last year. 190cm plus mid sized we are talking about, who play forward/midfield.

We have WA boys who have some value on the trade table. This is a realistic option. For those not aware, McInnes is Rob Whiley's nephew, and is also a perfect 25% 2nd ruck type as well.

For the record I was amazed at Bootsma being a first round pick. Too speculative. A poster suggested here that he was recruited as a spoiling 3rd tall. That is bull 5hit. His highlights showed him playing midfield and flanks, a running type. He grew a bit more than expected, showed a talent for spoiling, is now pigeon holed as a 3rd tall. I suspect the kid does not see himself in that role. Get over the idea his relatively slight body is what is holding him back. Sides are screaming for larger mids, we have a prospect who is going down the path as a likely failure, when he does not need to be.
Was surprised at his high draft recruitment, but the kid can be a player. His debut which excited so ,was not played in deep defence. This may bring more "awareness", and make him look like he enjoys playing football.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Why the hell do people think the GWS boys or a high value free agent only game in town?

There are 17 other teams out there, a couple with an excess of young key forwards. I flagged it in the pre season and was shot down by this board's own Mr McKay and to a lesser extent Jeremias. West Coast have an excess of ready to go young rucks and forwards who are unlikely to get a go in the near future.
Cox has flagged a desire for another year, NicNat, Kennedy, Darling, Sinclair currently the flavour of the month. Lycett must be getting fed up with waiting, Fraser McInnes is the one I like who showed plenty in NAB Cup, McGovern, the list goes on. "Mid sized" Colledge debuted last week, Tunbridge in the same mould knocking on the door after promising cameos last year. 190cm plus mid sized we are talking about, who play forward/midfield.

We have WA boys who have some value on the trade table. This is a realistic option. For those not aware, McInnes is Rob Whiley's nephew, and is also a perfect 25% 2nd ruck type as well.

For the record I was amazed at Bootsma being a first round pick. Too speculative. A poster suggested here that he was recruited as a spoiling 3rd tall. That is bull 5hit. His highlights showed him playing midfield and flanks, a running type. He grew a bit more than expected, showed a talent for spoiling, is now pigeon holed as a 3rd tall. I suspect the kid does not see himself in that role. Get over the idea his relatively slight body is what is holding him back. Sides are screaming for larger mids, we have a prospect who is going down the path as a likely failure, when he does not need to be.
Was surprised at his high draft recruitment, but the kid can be a player. His debut which excited so ,was not played in deep defence. This may bring more "awareness", and make him look like he enjoys playing football.

But Boots isn't really a first round pick and shouldn't be judged as one. Effectively pick 34 with the 12 17yrs GWS were able to select (Shiels, Treloar,Cameron etc). That was an early 3rd rounder not so long ago

Kensa Carter

Team Captain
May 8, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Hearing a lot of names from the expansion teams being thrown about as targets, specifically Tomlinson and Jaksch. Probably because they were high picks and play key position.

Anyone know details about these kids? Don't watch too much NEAFL to be honest!

There are 17 other teams out there, a couple with an excess of young key forwards. I flagged it in the pre season and was shot down by this board's own Mr McKay and to a lesser extent Jeremias.

I don't recall ever shooting you down for suggesting we look at talent from clubs other than GWS.

Sounds like a logical thing to do and something I've argued in support of many times so please, show me where I did that.

thebluelagoon

All Australian
Oct 27, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I really don't mean to intrude on this ever intriguing discussion about where the Blues are at. One thing I have noticed with the blues is the similarity between so many of your players. One poster mentioned that you had 4 virtually identical types all in the team on Sunday night.

What makes up a great side is the dynamic and the individuality that each player will bring to the side.

yea i noticed that too, they all had a blue jumper on...

Sep 27, 2004
Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's jacuzzi
AFL Club
Carlton
As posted by Eastern Hills...

AFL/ AIS v Collingwood Reserves 2014

#1 Jarrod Pickett
#2 Clem Smith
#3 Lachlan Weller
#4 Jaden McGrath
#5 Bardley Walsh
#6 Liam Duggan
#7 Isaac Henney
#8 Billy Stretch
#9 Liam Griffiths
#11 Jackson Nelson
#13 Ryan Lim
#12 Angus Brayshaw
#15 Liam Dawson
#16 Daniel Capiron
#19 Mac Bower
#20 Tom Lamb
#22 Matthew Ah Siu
#23 Hugh Goddard
#24 Matthew Hammelmann
#25 Jesse Watchman
#27 Christian Petrecca
#28 Samuel Bevan
#29 Peter Wright
#30 Sean McLaren
#31 Duom Dawam

Sep 29, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Shopping list.

1x Young quality KPF
1x 185cm + tall mid who has a good inside/outside mixed skillset.
1x Project ruck

Or

1x Young Quality KPF ( GWS talls or draft)
1x Young Quality KPD ( draft)
1x Project ruck

That's assuming that we only have three picks. We need mids and KPP coming through. A few mids with good engines that can play on the outside and insie would be handy as well since we are light on in this area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GT619

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Goddard, Wright, lamb on my shopping list... also McGrath and brayshaw

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
I don't recall ever shooting you down for suggesting we look at talent from clubs other than GWS.

Sounds like a logical thing to do and something I've argued in support of many times so please, show me where I did that.

PM coming your way, you may not like this answered in public.

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Josh Kelly's dad didn't play enough games @ north to be eligible f/s last year.

And now Angus Brayshaw (who won the medal for best on ground for the AIS team), is also in eligible because his dad only played around 60 games.

That's some bad luck there.

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Damien Barrett (in his weekly sliding doors article) said he will be shocked if Jeffy is on our list next year.

Either he is just speculating, or maybe he has some sort of info? Who knows. Just thought it was strange that he was so definitive that Jeffy is gone.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Damien Barrett (in his weekly sliding doors article) said he will be shocked if Jeffy is on our list next year.

Either he is just speculating, or maybe he has some sort of info? Who knows. Just thought it was strange that he was so definitive that Jeffy is gone.

Why does anyone even take any notice of this buffoon! :rolleyes:

May 29, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers

Good one :D:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back