List Mgmt. 2014: The List

I completely agree with you. Menzel will be exactly what we've hoped Garlett and to a certain extent Yarran would become. A genuine midfielder who can play equally well as a small to medium sized forward. Agree that we have depth in the small forward position and could easily find a cheap ready to go option if MM wants someone for the short to medium term.

Good luck to Jeffy getting the $400,000 he will earn elsewhere.
We have Ellard who is filling the role of small forward who can rotate through the midfield now.

If we lose Jeff, then I hope that it is for something good... late first or early second plus steak knives.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Problem isn't the players we have but those who we don't have. Need to be in the hunt for young players who might be looking to come back to vic and really embrace the draft and trade aggressively and shape our list for the future.

Everything needs to go into the recruiting department.

What happens at board level, who is captain, it's all irrelevant, providing someone new doesn't come in and stuff everything up.

Must be willing to trade players who are a part of our best 22 or outside of it as long as they aren't the young guys.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Problem isn't the players we have but those who we don't have. Need to be in the hunt for young players who might be looking to come back to vic and really embrace the draft and trade aggressively and shape our list for the future.

Everything needs to go into the recruiting department.

What happens at board level, who is captain, it's all irrelevant, providing someone new doesn't come in and stuff everything up.

Must be willing to trade players who are a part of our best 22 or outside of it as long as they aren't the young guys.

Very good assessment and goes hand in hand with where my views sit !!

Here's how I view our list :

THE FUTURE
Chris Yarran
Andrew Walker
Dale Thomas
Lachie Henderson
Marc Murphy
Andrejs Everitt
Sam Docherty
Nick Graham
Troy Menzel
Patrick Cripps
Cameron Giles
Nick Holman
Dylan Buckley

*These players are the foundation of our next assault on a premiership, the recruiting department & match committee must build a list around them which may take 4-5 years. However, it is not out of the question for some of the new lads to not reach the level required and they end up being replaced*

THE INTERIM
Tom Temay
Denis Armfield
Ed Curnow
Chris Judd (retire)
Kade Simpson (retire)
Zach Tuohy
Michael Jamison

*These players should be replaced over the next few years, they are only viewed as short-term options due to their age and/or limited development*

THE BAGGAGE
Sam Rowe
Heath Scotland (retire)
Levi Casboult
Kane Lucas
Jarryd Cachia
Brock McLean (retire)
Andrew McInnes
Simon White
Mathew Watson
Bryce Gibbs (Free Agency)
Robert Warnock
Josh Bootsma
Andrew Carrazzo (retire)
Mitch Robinson
Tom Bell
Jarrod Waite (retire)
Jeff Garlett
Mathew Kreuzer (subject to the medical advice)
David Ellard

*These players should be traded or delisted either this year or next*

What they should be doing is taking everyone on the Baggage list to the trade table and trade as many of them as they can (subject to whether other clubs actually value them or want them), in return, aim to secure some of the young untried talent sitting on other club's lists. There is at least one young player on each club's list who is not getting a go and would relish the opportunity to change clubs to open up their career options.

If we can achieve this, it will go a long way to making up for some of the recruiting busts/blunders we have had in previous years (2009-2011) in order to form a new & improved robust & very vocal list capable of challenging the upper echelons in 3-4 years time.

Malthouse openly talks about the need to have a core of 30 senior players if you are going to be climb the ladder & challenge. Our Future list needs to get up to that 30 names before we are ready to make that ladder climb, this means that we need 17 more players on it from now and that is not taking into account any of them failing the mission and being replaced.

No more quick fixes, no more high-priced Free Agency and no more short-term options. Do it once, do it thoroughly and do it smart !!

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Yep that's fair enough though I see Walker as big trade bait as he can play but he's nearing 30. Tuohy I see as a player who can play but is not playing well at the moment for whatever reason, may be a reason to keep or move on. But yes, this is the aggressive trading I hope to see come from Carlton.

Sit down the bottom of the ladder for a few years, draft some guns, and on the rise, continue to draft good players. This is where we got caught out last time when we started to rise we drafted poorly, recruiting team wasn't up to the challenge, hoping the new group is.

We need to continue to build with quality youth when we eventually do rise back up the ladder. No more throwing away high picks for the Mclean types out there, actually continue to use the draft well.

What we need:
- A midfield full of players who get a lot of the ball. Doesn't have many players with weaknesses (too small, soft, can't kick, too slow etc). Has depth.
- Currently have a midfield that doesn't get a lot of the ball, has a lot of poorly skilled players in it and a lot of players with weaknesses. No elite players any more.

- Talls, we need a spine that is unquestionable and set in stone, two tall athletic strong marking forwards, two tall very solid athletic defenders.
- Waite is finished, Jamison is getting there. Henderson is a backman who is also an ok forward, Casboult is just a filler player. Giles is a hope.

- A ruckman who can take a mark, we need a big guy who can take a mark around the ground and in the forward line.
- None of our ruckmen can reliably take a few marks and kick few goals.

4. Speed/skill/height on the flanks. We need speedy tallish skillful back flankers who use it well and have smarts. We need a few medium sized players up forward who can play deep, play up the ground and can run like all hell and also take a mark and will lead and present all day. Also a few who can go through the middle.
- We have a bit of this. Lacking those quick medium forward types that the Hawks have a lot of who can take a mark and run like mad and play up the ground.
- Lacking a good medium/tall defender who can play and run.
- Simpson getting older.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Will we be able to keep Bell on the list at seasons end?

If not, what could we get for him?

Wonder if the Brions can get him home (they'll be able to pick him up in PSD quite easily I suspect)
I would hope we can, has shown enough to deserve an improved contract and guaranteed spot on the list.

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I would hope we can, has shown enough to deserve an improved contract and guaranteed spot on the list.
Bell was huge in the last quarter with a broken finger. Last quarter tackle when on the ground to stop the kick from the 50m arc and then lunging knock to advantage was great desperate play when we needed it.

Upped his tackle and marking numbers for the game as well as winning some critical one on ones in the last quarter.

Bell battling on with a fractured finger, Curnow trying to battle on with a broken leg, but apparently we're soft.
Lucas and Bell ran themselves into the ground... Lucas ended up with 9 tackles for the game but only had low stats. I would be interested in knowing who his direct opponent was? What was their stats for the day.

It's a pity Bell broke his finger. I would have loved to see him get every game this year he possibly can... same with Lucas. We are complaining about not playing the kids, but we seem to want to get rid of a couple of guys who are talented.

BTW sandy one... whats your views on Bell and Lucas after Saturdays efforts?

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Lucas and Bell ran themselves into the ground... Lucas ended up with 9 tackles for the game but only had low stats. I would be interested in knowing who his direct opponent was? What was their stats for the day.

It's a pity Bell broke his finger. I would have loved to see him get every game this year he possibly can... same with Lucas. We are complaining about not playing the kids, but we seem to want to get rid of a couple of guys who are talented.

BTW sandy one... whats your views on Bell and Lucas after Saturdays efforts?
It was probably the best game Bell has played for us so far in his short career. Such a shame he is now going to miss approx one month because it would have been nice to see him have the opportunity to string together some games.

As for Lucas, I've always felt he has been unfairly maligned by some. We know he will gut run & is very good at linking up with our defence. He is also a goalkicker when played close to goal. Hopefully he will get to string some games together & build his confidence up as he goes.

Last edited:

etsal1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting to note mick said in his video that because we lost 2 mids in the last quarter , that a number of half forwards were required to play extra midfield minutes and they really stood up. Reckon one of them was Sug. Last quarter he was pivotal. Along with Bell.

Interesting to note mick said in his video that because we lost 2 mids in the last quarter , that a number of half forwards were required to play extra midfield minutes and they really stood up. Reckon one of them was Sug. Last quarter he was pivotal. Along with Bell.
He really lifted his game in the last and was really noticeable. He just seemed to be every where.

I am going to watch the replay tonight and see who he actually lined up on :)

Sep 29, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
He really lifted his game in the last and was really noticeable. He just seemed to be every where.

I am going to watch the replay tonight and see who he actually lined up on :)

I think he was on the Bulldogs kid. Bontempelli? Lucas did a good job inside as well with a couple of good handballs to a outside player.

Carlton have approached Mitch Hallahan's management. Look's as though we're interested.
Can someone talk him up so I am forced to dream about what he might bring to the club?

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
Can someone talk him up so I am forced to dream about what he might bring to the club?
Agreed.

Someone compare his playing style to an already elite player, just because he may have one attribute similar.
Closest comparison would be someone like Brad Sewell imo.
Works hard, isn't the most athletic but tough as nails and highly regarded as a leader. Whether he's good enough to be a regular senior contributor remains to be seen.

Back