List Mgmt. 2014: The List

Remove this Banner Ad

Efficiency pretty much the same, but Priddis goes 52% contested to 40% for Brock. Because he is inside Priddis contributes with tackles and clearances. You'd think Brock was getting outside a lot more because his marking stats are higher but Priddis averages more I50s and R50s indicating his workrate is all over the ground. Then Priddis is a benefit to his side because he goes first for the ball and gets the free kicks.
TODN while on the topic of midfield efficiencies, how do Bell, Carrazzo and Curnow compare with McLean. It may be perception but their disposal at times can be quite ordinary.

He doesn't do it quickly but it would be unfair not to mention his gut-running. His tank is incredible. Won us the "McLean can't get the distance" match against the Tiges.

Gut running is work rate. One of the things I look for is how often midfielders are working between he arcs. Do they get back into the defensive 50 to help out? Are they then pumping the ball inside the forward 50 to set up opportunities? Those stats above either show that Priddis is a much harder worker than McLean .... or they are both getting back and forward but Priddis is far better at getting to the contest and clearing the ball. I'd say maybe they both work pretty hard but because Brock is usually on the periphery i.e inside/outside, he doesn't get his hands on it as much. My contention is that with his lack of pace, he needs to place himself inside more often and distribute. Brock reading the play and jogging through the middle longer than others, comes off now and again and looks great, but when he doesn't get it, he's going to take a while to get back to help out.

I do like his tank, but I feel he is trying to play a speedsters game hoping his smarts will give him a few metres on his opponent. I do notice the opposition pay him very little respect when he floats forward, and I suspect it is because he takes himself out of the play unless the team has the skill to get the ball to him, and because he is easier to round up if things go pear shaped.

I'd love to see him under more packs. He has good vision and although he seems quite laconic at times, has a bit of mongrel when he wants to.

TODN while on the topic of midfield efficiencies, how do Bell, Carrazzo and Curnow compare with McLean. It may be perception but their disposal at times can be quite ordinary.

Bell 63.6% and less contested possessions. Bell is up in 1%ers and tackles. The 5 year age difference and the bigger body is what is buying Bell more time but I think we could agree that Bell needs to come on this year.

Curnow 67.6%, more disposals, similar rate of contested possessions. Curnow significantly up in defensive acts. McLean more clearances. Curnow more running bounces as he has more speed.

Carrazzo 76.1% efficiency. Up in disposals, a greater rate of contested possessions, double the tackles, way up in clearances, half the clangers, twice the 1%ers. Statistically in 2014, Carrazzo has it all over Brock and is the best of the 4.

Ellard; back from your holidays immediately and practice your goal kicking!
And your field kicking!

And learning to win the ball more.

Funny, out of all of the four, Ellard probably offers less tangibles, but he is the most popular teammate. Maybe a modern day Luke O'Sullivan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ellards pretty good at winning the ball...puts his body over it and crashes through, earns quite a few free kicks from drawing high contact

This year he averages 10.9 disposals at 60% efficiency, 0.7 marks inside 50, 1.8 inside 50s, 0.2 goal assists, 1.2 clearances, 1.9 clangers, 1.2 one percenters, less than a goal a game, in 71.3% game time. 4.8 tackles is the only saving grace really. Seriously underwhelming stuff. Good bloke and all but ....

I reckon he gets rewarded for work rate and listening.

Ellard is a 'totem' for work ethic - Malthouse loves his symbols - till he finds a better one.

That's why he is there. Have to show the guys that you get rewarded for effort, not talent alone.

Robinson dumped, Lucas seeking new opportunities (in WA), Brock 'cooked' seems to be the gist.

Mick likes Davey as a small forward - with one point he led our goalkicking.

Last edited:
This year he averages 10.9 disposals at 60% efficiency, 0.7 marks inside 50, 1.8 inside 50s, 0.2 goal assists, 1.2 clearances, 1.9 clangers, 1.2 one percenters, less than a goal a game, in 71.3% game time. 4.8 tackles is the only saving grace really. Seriously underwhelming stuff. Good bloke and all but ....

I reckon he gets rewarded for work rate and listening.
i have nothing but respect for his endeavour, attack, and work ethic, but if he played for Richmond we would make fun of them for having a player of his level starting every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back