List Mgmt. 2014: The List

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Rogers and his team - didn't bring in Thomas.
2. Malthouse brought in Everitt
3. Docherty nominated Carlton

Malthouse cut garlett robinson lucas et al

however lets not let facts get in the way of a nice corporate organisational tree
Glad to know there is no communication at Carlton. Everyone there just doing their own thing oblivious to everyone else.

1. Rogers and his team - didn't bring in Thomas.
2. Malthouse brought in Everitt
3. Docherty nominated Carlton

Malthouse cut garlett robinson lucas et al

however lets not let facts get in the way of a nice corporate organisational tree
We were after Docherty the second he went to Brisbane.
The club identified Everitt, Malthouse did the trip to convince him.
Thomas I'll agree with, but he's a known quality player. You could argue the deal with biggest Malthouse imprint was the worst of them all. Cost us a Betts free agency compo pick and Thomas hasn't yet repaid us. (disclaimer: I have faith)

Glad to know there is no communication at Carlton. Everyone there just doing their own thing oblivious to everyone else.

Says who?

these types of furball arguments are akin to asking a person "when did you stop beating your wife"

you can climb off your high horse now.

Azul, Ratten coached Carlton for five years for only 1, yes 1, finals win (same as Mick so far)

For a club of Carlton's stature, and considering the list he had, including Judd at his peak, that is a failure.

Ratten was given a fair run in modern AFL terms.

I also think your expectations are way too high if you think we automatic shoe ins for the finals next year.

Depending on our draw, 10 wins next year is a decent result, we are still suffering the effects of a decade of bad drafting/trading pre Mick, plus the expansion teams coming in has set our rebuild back a couple of years as well.

Right now we haven't got the pace to match it with top teams like Port, or the hard edge of Hawthorn. Give the kids time to develop, our next premiership window is probably 3 years (at least) away

Azul, Ratten coached Carlton for five years for only 1, yes 1, finals win (same as Mick so far)

For a club of Carlton's stature, and considering the list he had, including Judd at his peak, that is a failure.

I also think your expectations are way too high if you think we automatic shoe ins for the finals next year.

Depending on our draw, 10 wins next year is a decent result, we are still suffering the effects of a decade of bad drafting/trading pre Mick, plus the expansion teams coming in has set our rebuild back a couple of years as well.

Right now we haven't got the pace to match it with top teams like Port, or the hard edge of Hawthorn. Give the kids time to develop, our next premiership window is probably 3 years (at least) away
We had the Fab 4 dammit!!!

I don't dispute Ratts had a fair run, nor do I think we're shoe ins but I don't buy the argument we need to take 2 steps backward on the field in order to take 1 step forward as a playing group. 7 wins is an epic fail in anyone's language.

For whatever off-field list manipulations, we had a crap year on field - on that basis contract talks should be the furthest from the board's mind until we genuinely translate it into wins. If we have another year of mediocrity, a 3 year deal is irresponsible. But what do I care? Mrs Pratt and Bruce have deep pockets.

Anyway, the last I'll say on the matter - the list management thread shouldn't be politicized to justify leaks of Mick's contract negotiations.

Saw in another thread the question 'where are our goals going to come from ?'

Now Robinson and to a lesser extent McLean are gone where is our 'grunt' going to come from. Which Carlton players are going to have opposition players looking over their shoulder - a definite weakness with Carlton. Too many 'nice' players and something I'm sure Mick is well aware of.

Hawthorn have Hodge, Lewis and others who help their other players walk tall.

Who do Carlton have ? Touhy, Sheehan, Cripps, maybe an older and bigger Dylan Buckley ???

Now Robinson and to a lesser extent McLean are gone where is our 'grunt' going to come from. Which Carlton players are going to have opposition players looking over their shoulder - a definite weakness with Carlton. Too many 'nice' players and something I'm sure Mick is well aware of.

Who do Carlton have ? Touhy, Sheehan, Cripps, maybe an older and bigger Dylan Buckley ???
The players we've drafted recently definitely have the aggression and intimidating factor. Holman is an agressive little * for starters. Bell loves thee bash and crash and Cripps, Graham and Whiley enjoy getting in and tackling. Just because they aren't your generic Crowley campaigner doesn't mean they aren't hard.

Last edited:
The players we've drafted recently definitely have the aggression and intimidating factor. Holman is an agressive little **** for starters. Bell loves thee bash and crash and Cripps, Graham and Whiley enjoy getting in and tackling. Just because they aren't your generic Crowley campaigner doesn't mean they aren't hard.

I wouldn't mind seeing Holman start getting some game time next year especially now Robinson and McLean gone. By his highlights he's certainly not afraid to lay down a tackle. Do you think he's ready?

Common misnomer that robbo and to a lesser extent brock, are the ones that provide "grunt".. Look closer and it's the likes of gibbs, judd, carrazzo and even Murphy that get and win the inside ball far more than these guys..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grunt will come from Judd, Curnow, Carrots, Thomas (I was pleasantly surprised by DT's attack on man and ball) and hopefully an improving Cripps, Graham, Whiley and Holman.
I caught up with a couple of Hawks players that I have close ties with a few weeks ago and ended up discussing their views on our list, they view Judd and Carrots as absolute warriors and they believe that they are far and away our toughest midfielders to play against.
Interesting to note that they disagree with many posters view that Bell is some sort of enforcer "he makes the odd Hollywood effort that looks good on tape but even for an outside runner he isn't overly hard"

Interesting to note that they disagree with many posters view that Bell is some sort of enforcer "he makes the odd Hollywood effort that looks good on tape but even for an outside runner he isn't overly hard"

Bell has never played against Hawthorn.

Because that's the only way to gauge a player? Clubs don't research potential opponents at all?:)

Not what I meant - but I think it would be tough to gage how tough/hard someone hits if you've never actually experienced it directly. That's all.

Not what I meant - but I think it would be tough to gage how tough/hard someone hits if you've never actually experienced it directly. That's all.
It's not a matter of how hard they hit, it's a matter of how they play stylistically. See Judd.. doesn't really hit anyone but runs/works hard all day which takes a lot more out of an opponent than the occasional tackle or shirtfront.

It's not a matter of how hard they hit, it's a matter of how they play stylistically. See Judd.. doesn't really hit anyone but runs/works hard all day which takes a lot more out of an opponent than the occasional tackle or shirtfront.
All good. But when someone usually describes someone as not particularly hard, they are generally referring to physicality & tackling etc not running hard. I guess we just have different definitions and interpretations of 'isn't overly hard' :)

All good. But when someone usually describes someone as not particularly hard, they are generally referring to physicality & tackling etc not running hard. I guess we just have different definitions of 'isn't overly hard' :)
No worries, I apologise if I was interpreted as calling Bell soft (he clearly isn't a short stepper), more that Carrots etc are viewed as being much harder in terms of a consistent 4qtr attack on it and ability to gut run.

No worries, I apologise if I was interpreted as calling Bell soft (he clearly isn't a short stepper), more that Carrots etc are viewed as being much harder in terms of a consistent 4qtr attack on it and ability to gut run.

I'd agree with that - but I'd add that it's understandable for Bell not to be a part of that pair at the moment given he is still learning the game @ AFL level. As he improves his concentration I think he will get there because he definitely as the tank to get there.
Curnow would be up there too.

Grunt will come from Judd, Curnow, Carrots, Thomas (I was pleasantly surprised by DT's attack on man and ball) and hopefully an improving Cripps, Graham, Whiley and Holman.
I caught up with a couple of Hawks players that I have close ties with a few weeks ago and ended up discussing their views on our list, they view Judd and Carrots as absolute warriors and they believe that they are far and away our toughest midfielders to play against.

Ask those same players to come back to us with their assessment of Cripps, Holman and hopefully Whiley next year
Gibbs has also become a new man this year and even though he doesn't play heavyweight football, he goes in pretty bloody hard now

We haven't been hard enough in recent times but there is a changing of the guard.
Bell isn't an enforcer and I doubt anyone saw him to be one but when he does hit, legally hit, you stay pretty hit....see round 16 this year :)

Ask those same players to come back to us with their assessment of Cripps, Holman and hopefully Whiley next year
Gibbs has also become a new man this year and even though he doesn't play heavyweight football, he goes in pretty bloody hard now

We haven't been hard enough in recent times but there is a changing of the guard.
Bell isn't an enforcer and I doubt anyone saw him to be one but when he does hit, legally hit, you stay pretty hit....see round 16 this year :)
Will do,
There certainly seems to be more of shift towards a more hard nosed side/list in recent times.
Re: Gibbs, he definitely took a big step forward this past season.

Will do,
There certainly seems to be more of shift towards a more hard nosed side/list in recent times.
Re: Gibbs, he definitely took a big step forward this past season.

There does, doesn't there?
Given we need outside speed this year, we may not be adding too much more grunt, or at least not at our first 2 picks.

Gibbs has been fantastic and I've loved his wide-eyed attack at stoppages this year and Bell comes into next year all raring to go after his finger issues.

Matthew Dick

Delisted From: Sydney

The soon-to-be 20-year-old could be in line for a birthday present this week, with Carlton understood to be keen on him. The Blues have already done major work on their list and it's believed they are after one more player to add to their list before the draft. Dick, a 187cm defender, wasn't able to break into the Swans strong backline, although there would be greater opportunities to cement a spot at Carlton, with the Blues yet to find a settled defensive unit.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ts-hoping-for-another-go-20141026-11c58c.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back